Amorous Tread

Chapter 6


Dark doe eyes fluttered open and then squinted to adjust to the lighting of the room. Ororo tried to focus on her surroundings. The sterile smell alone told Ororo that she was in the med lab. She tried to think of the last thing she remembered.


I remember looking up into Logan’s eyes and then feeling pain, Ororo thought. I wonder how bad I am injured.


Ororo tried to sit up but felt the pain in her rib section and quickly laid back down. Great just what I need broken ribs, she thought helplessly.


Ororo tried to remember the pervious day’s events. She remembered fighting the sentinels and then being dragged down into the Hudson, and then… Oh, Goddess! No! It is cannot be…


“Ro?” Ororo heard Logan call from beside her.


“Logan?”


“Nice ta see yer awake, darlin. Ya got battered pretty good by those sentinels, but ya handle them good and proper, Rory,” Logan said with a proud like smile.


Ororo had to laugh a little at Logan’s other nickname for her. “I do not even know how I got out of the water,” Ororo said.


Logan looked at Ororo sheepishly. “Well I couldn’t just leave ya ta drown, now could I?” he said.


Ororo paused. “You came after me?” she asked.


“Yeah, I did,” Logan, answered.


Ororo looked at Logan a little in awe. He actually came after me, Ororo thought. I should not even be surprised. It is Logan after all. “Logan… Thank you,” was all Ororo could say.


“Don’t mention it, Ro. Besides, when ya get all better ya can thank me more properly,” Logan said to her, with a wink.


Ororo smiled and shook her head. “And what do I need to get better from?” she asked.


Logan stared at her for a moment and then answered. “Yer major injuries are two cracked ribs, and a couple of scratches and bruises,” Logan stated.


“Well, it could be worse. I thought I broke my ribs when I tried to get up,” Ororo said.


“Well like you said, Ro, it could be worse,” Logan said, as he started to look at Ororo more intensely. “What happened ta ya out there, Ro?” Logan asked. “One minute yer kicking ass, the next yer getting yer ass kicked?”


Ororo had to laugh at Logan’s obvious bluntness, but she immediately stopped laughing when she saw the serious look on Logan’s face. “Seriously, Ro, what happened?” he asked again.


Ororo was about to open her mouth and give him some sort of explanation, but the lab door slide open and Jean walked in.


“Ororo, you’re awake!” Jean said as she ran over to Ororo and leaned down to give Ororo a light hug.


“Nice to see you too, Jean,” Ororo said, as she tried to hug Jean back the best way she could.


Jean then turned to face Logan. “Logan what are you doing here so early?” she asked.


“I’ve been here all night, Red,” Logan answered.


“You have?” both Jean and Ororo asked in unison. When Ororo woke up and Logan was beside her, she didn’t realize that he had been there the whole night. Logan just sat back and grinned at the both of them.


Hank then walked into the med lab. “Ah, Ororo, you are awake. And I see you have company,” he said as he walked up to them.


“Good morning, Hank” Ororo greeted.


Hank started to busy himself with Ororo’s charts, and then turned to Logan. “Logan you no doughtily stayed here all night, which is why I must kick you out, my friend. You need to have breakfast and I need to check up on, Ororo. Jean, will you assist me?” Hank asked.


“Of course,” she said. “Go on Logan, we left you some breakfast upstairs,” Jean stated.


Logan began to get up out the chair he had been in all night. “Thanks Jeannie. Breakfast sounds good right about now,” he said, as he stretched. “I’ll come back later, Ro” he informed.


“OK,” she said as she watched Logan walk away.



* * *



“Is Storm alright, Wolvie?” Jubilee asked, worriedly biting her lip.


“Yeah, kid. She’ll be just fine,” Logan answered as he continued to eat his pancakes.


Jubilee dramatically placed her hand on her heart. “Oh good, I’m so relived. I don’t know what the team would do without her. She’s such a powerful presence among the team, kinda like The Professor. Don’t you think, Logan?” she asked.


“Yeah, Jubes,” Logan answered, but really paying more attention to his food than Jubilee.


“She’s also a calming presence. Not too overpowering. I think if Storm weren’t around the team would argue a lot more, especially you and Scott. She’s already the one that always hafta stop you two from killing each other,” Jubilee began to giggle. “Anyone that can put up with you two fighting, is a goddess. I love, Storm,” Jubilee finished as she continued to giggle.


“Real cute, Jubilee” Logan said sarcastically. “Let’s see how funny ya are in our next danger room session,” he said with a smirk.


Jubilee’s mouth fell open. “Oh you grimme, Wolvie,” she said.


“Yeah, yeah whatever. Don’cha have a class ya need ta be getting ta?” Logan asked.


“Oh snap! The Professor’s literature class! I gotta go!” Jubilee said, as she grabbed her books off the table and ran out.


Logan shook his head and laughed. “Kids,” he stated to himself. Do Cyke and me really get that bad? Logan asked himself. He thought back on yesterday and how him and Scott nearly got into an all out argument, if it hadn’t been for Kurt cutting in. “Ve could lose Ororo! Don’t you see that?” Logan thought back on, Kurt’s words. No. He couldn’t see that. Losing Ororo just didn’t seem to be an option, to Logan. The thought of her not being around didn’t really seem imaginable.


Damn, I must really care about the weather witch, Logan thought.


“Lot on the mine?” Logan turned around to see Rogue walking in.


“Hey Kid,” Logan greeted.


“Hey. Ah just literally crashed into Jubilee, rushing for her class and she told me ya were in ‘ere,” Rogue said as she sat next to Logan.


“Did she now?” Logan said.


“Uh huh” Rogue answered. “ Remy told me about what happened on ya'll mission. He told me Storm is gonna be alright,” she said.


Logan grunted a little. He was beginning to get tired of people talking to him about it.


“He also told me that ya seemed real worried about her, and stayed in the med lab all night, with her,” she said.


Damn, word travels fast around here, Logan thought. “What’s yer point, stripes?” Logan asked.


“Do ya mind if I be blunt, Logan?” Rogue asked.


“No.”


“Are ya fallin’ for, Storm?”


All movement from Logan stilled. “Excuse me?” he said in his usually deep voice of his.


“Are ya fallin for, Storm” Rogue repeated. “Ah mean for these past few weeks, ya twos have been spending an awful lotta time together. Until recently Ah didn’t think ya'll talked all that much. But now I’m kinda wondering,” she said.


“Would it be a problem if I did?” Logan asked a little defensively, although he wasn’t sure why he was getting that way.


“No,” Rogue answered quickly. “Ah mean if you’re fallin’ for the resident goddess, then by all means keep on falling. It’d probably be the best thing you’ve gotten into. Ah mean it’s obvious that ya twos are as different as they come,” she said laughing, as if it was the truest thing. “But Ah actually think ya’ll would be real cute together,” she finished.


“You do, do you?” Logan said.


“Yes indeed, and Ah think, that you think, that ya’ll twos would be cute together, too,” Rogue said staring squarely at Logan. Logan squinted his eyes at Rogue as she suddenly got up from her seat and announced, “Damn look at the time! Best be going, Ah see ya later Logan,” Rogue said practically skipping out of the kitchen.


If people keep walking out on me like that I’m gonna start guttin’, Logan thought ever so annoyed.



* * *



“Charles I am afraid,” Ororo stated with a frightful look at Xavier. “What will happen if he threatens everyone at the mansion in order to have me back? What will happen if he challenges you again? What will happen if…” Ororo trailed off as Xavier raised a hand at her to stop.


“Ororo, Child, please your injuries, you must be steady - ”


“Forget my injuries! I will not let him take me again! No never again, NEVER AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN!” Ororo thundered, as thunder outside was clear to the ear. Ororo began to rock herself back and forth while softly shaking her head, no.


Ororo was that little girl again that was completely helpless to the man that claimed to own her. A man that could make her do anything he wanted and she would not have the will to fight back, so usually she just did what he asked of her so that she wouldn’t have to be forced.


Xavier reached his hands up to Ororo’s face and forced her to look at him. When her eyes steadied on him it was not the Xavier she was so used to seeing. This Xavier was not composed, but looked just as horrified as she did. His eyes were red as if he were about to cry. Then he spoke in a hushed stern voice.


“Ororo you are no longer the little girl I first met in Cairo. You are an X-men,” Xavier said each word slowly and carefully to emphasize his message. “You are one of the top most powerful mutants on the face of this planet,” Xavier continued keeping Ororo’s stare. “Whatever comes your way, whatever he has planned for you you will fight it, you will overcome it.” There was finality in Xavier’s tone that told Ororo that he had the utmost faith in her.


Ororo continued to look into Xavier’s eyes until a single tear fell from her eye. Xavier gently wiped it away with his thumb then lowered Ororo’s head and placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead. Just then the med lab door swished open and there came Logan.


Logan paused, he sensed that he interrupted a personal moment. “Is this a bad time?” he asked cautiously.


“Not at all,” Xavier said with a light smile. “I was just leaving. Goodbye Ororo, Logan,” and with that he wheeled out of the med lab.


“See ya, Chuck,” Logan said as he watched Xavier leave. Then he turned around to stare at Ororo. Her head was slightly lowered. Logan quietly sniffed the air, the salty sent of tears was faint but there. “Ro you alright, darlin?” he asked concerned, going closer towards her and sitting on medical bed next to her.


Ororo turned to face Logan, an obviously forced smile was planted on her face “Yes Logan, as fine as a person can be in my condition,” she answered.


Logan didn’t say anything right away, he just observed her. The slight redness in her large eyes, the saddened slump of her shoulders, and the fidgeting of her fingers. He spoke then, “Want ta talk about what was wrong with you on our mission?” he asked


“What is there to say? I am just stressed, more than usual unfortunately. I will be just fine,” Ororo said as she turned her face away from Logan’s intense stare.


Logan huffed silently, he knew she was lying, obviously. He knew whatever was wrong with Ororo she wasn’t going to just pour out her soul about it, he didn’t exactly expect her to, but he was hoping for more of an explanation from her. Logan had become too close to Ororo over the last few weeks to leave something like this alone, but at the same time not close enough to press the matter. So for now he would leave it alone. Besides he had a feeling that the problem with Ororo would not go away quickly.


Logan cupped Ororo’s chin and faced her towards him. “I’m here darlin, if you need me I’m here. I ain’t going no where,” he simply stated.


Then a genuine smile graced Ororo’s face. “Thank you,” she breathed.



* * *



“Have you found her?” asked the cynically distinguish looking man.


“Oh yes, I have finally found her after all these years. As gorgeous and as beautiful as ever,” the lean Indian man, said.


The other man nodded. “Good for you. Now find what I want,” he said.


“I already have. Lucky for you they are both with Xavier, which makes everything easier for the both of us.”


The other man smiled. “Oh I like working with you, Shadow King.”





You must login () to review.