New Orleans, Louisiana
Bourbon Street
Mardi Gras


“Aahhh…Smell dat, chere? Ain’t nattin’ smell like New Orleans,” Gambit held his arms wide, turning in a circle, inhaling the welcome scents of his home city. “It’s good t’be back, eh, Stormy?” He and Storm were walking around the city, enjoying the festivities, and the memories that being in this place brought to them both.
Ororo Munroe gave her tall, handsome companion a patient smile. “I have warned you before about calling me that horrid name.” She gracefully stepped around a couple leaning against a lamp post, in heated ‘conversation’.
“But you will always be Stormy to me, padnat.” He gave her long cloud colored braid a playful tug.
“Gambit.” Ororo’s eyes faded from deep cerulean blue to electric white in silent warning, but the corners of her mouth were turned up.
“Hoo, I sure ‘ave missed that spark in you, Stormy. Been too long since I seen it. You always so serious back at Xavier’s. Makes me regret ever bringing you back, seeing you shut yerself off. Been too long since we had any time for us,chere. Gambit misses his padnat.” He wrapped one brawny arm across her bare shoulders, pulling her close and jostling her. “We had some fun, oui?”
Ororo felt her lips twitch. “Yes, Remy. We had some wonderful times, but I do not believe you have brought me all the way to New Orleans just to relive old times. Time for the truth, Remy. What exactly have you gotten me into?”
They had reached an open restaurant and Gambit lead her towards the nearest patio table, pulling out her chair and seating himself across from her. “Merci,” she murmured causing him to fling a hand over his heart dramatically.
“To ‘ear my language brush across those beautiful,” his tone deepened, “luscious lips. Take care, chere. I may ‘ave a ‘eart attack before we get to discussing the matters at hand.”
“Flirt,” she chided, blushing. Absently she caressed the lilting carnation setting between them. To Gambit the flower appeared to gain strength from her touch, seemed less wilted-- brighter somehow. “I am waiting.” She was staring at him with those eyes that seemed to peer into your soul. He was grateful for the shield his sunglasses gave him against her close scrutiny.
“Truth is I owe some people, big, Stormy. Real big. And des are bad people. Real bad.”
“Who are these bad people, Remy? And what is it they want from you?”
Gambit shifted uncomfortably in his chair. He had never lied to Storm and if he could avoid it he wouldn’t start now, but the truth…the truth was complicated. He was saved from having to answer as a petite waitress approached, a wide grin on her face. She was an attractive woman in her early thirties, with golden hair and wide hazel eyes. Her lips were thin, and she had a tendency to chew on them, Remy recalled.
“Remy Lebeau, you dog. When did you get back?” Her voice was high and light. Her smile vanished when she noticed the woman Remy was dining with. High cheekbones, wide, lush lips, caramel skin, and the most amazing eyes, framed by long raven black lashes, which made no sense because her hair was as white as freshly fallen snow. “Haven’t seen you in years,” she trailed still staring at Storm.
“Yeah, well you know me, keeping’ busy.” He gave a nod in Storm’s direction. “Dis is my fiancé, Ororo.” He ignored the stunned expression of the waitress and the more dumbfounded look Stormy was giving him. He placed his hand discreetly over her left hand across the table. “Chere, dis is an old acquaintance of mine…” Gambit paused and for the life of him he couldn’t put a name to the face.
“Meggan Murphy.” the waitress supplied, her back stiffening.
“It is always a pleasure to meet a friend of Remy’s,” Storm said. She squeezed his hand, sending a subtle electric current up his arm.
“Same here.” Meggan pulled out her notepad. “What can I get you lovebirds?”
“What say you, Chere?” Gambit lifted Ororo’s hand to his lips. “What’re you in da mood for?” He kissed each finger lazily, and flicked his tongue across her thumb. He almost lost it at Storm’s expression. Her eyes were flashing, and her brows were so furrowed they created lines across her smooth forehead.
“I will leave the decision in your capable hands, Remy.” She pulled her hand away and stood. “If you will excuse me, I must make a phone call.” As she rounded the corner to the payphone she had seen when they were walking down the street earlier she sent a small rain cloud across the patio and over Gambit’s head. She chuckled at his facial expression when the first drops of rain hit his dark red/brown hair.
Cradling the phone in her hand she sent a small current through the receiver, giving her a dial tone. Her index finger hovered over the first digit of the number she was about to dial. “Get a hold of yourself, woman.” She sighed. Goddess, how she missed him. She pictured his dark eyes and felt her heart lurch. Deep down she had hoped this time away would clear her head and help sort out the confusing emotions she had been feeling lately. Control was of the utmost importance to her. She knew at times it made her seem cold-- indifferent to the events around her. But when the slightest shift in your mood can turn a sunny day into an F-5 tornado, you learn to keep yourself in check. Under normal circumstances Logan’s presence comforted her, kept her calm and sane, but lately she found herself restless under his intense gaze. Flushed whenever he would press a little too close. Just a few months ago she had nearly taken out the mansion during their heated argument over her position as leader of the X-men and her loyalty to Gambit. Ororo punched the numbers that would connect her to her home in New York, and held her breath.
“Hello?”
Exhale. “Hello, Scott.”
“Storm, it is good to hear from you. How’s everything going?”
“Slowly. How is everyone back home?” She listened to Scott as he told her that the team was doing well, her friends missed her, life was just fine. She turned her face towards the sky, momentarily distracted by the unusual shift in air current. Odd.
“Storm, are you still there?” Scott’s voice was breaking up on the line.
“Sorry, Scott, there seems to be a bad connection. I will be in touch soon.” She replaced the phone to its cradle, her eyes glowing white. Something was wrong. The colors of the wind were angry reds and oranges, not the sapphire and yellow they should be. A bolt of lightening split the air, sending passerby’s screaming, running into the protection of the buildings around them. The air rumbled and another large bolt crashed into the telephone pole directly beside her. Heavy rain began pouring from the sky.
“Gambit!”
Storm sent a powerful gust of wind directly to the ground, lifting herself above the panicked citizens. She held her hands out, running them back and forth across the sky, soothing the air, calming…taming….
Gambit appeared before his name was completely out of her mouth. He stared at his padnat in fascination. She was remarkable! With her hair whipped loose from it’s braid and her eyes blazing bright against the dark sky she looked every inch the Goddess. She turned towards him, her mouth a grim line of determination.
“There is something dark here, Remy.” A blast of wind lifted him so that he was flung next to her, her hands catching the front of his tailored shirt. Flecks of lightening escaped her bright orbs as she gave him a snarl that would have done the Wolverine proud. “Start talking.”





You must login () to review.