Xavier Institute
Head Master’s Office

“Charles?” Ororo’s wary gaze shifted between the Professor and his guest.
“Come in, Storm.” Charles invited. “I believe you are acquainted with Mr. Shaw.”
Ororo’s eyes were ice blue, matching her voice. “We’ve met.”
Shinobi Shaw rose from the dark brown leather chair he had been reclining in with feline grace and walked over to her. He was an exceedingly good looking man and he gave off an aura of smug assurance. “Good afternoon, Storm. Such an interesting name you have. It rolls on my tongue like fine wine.” He was standing uncomfortable close, so close she could feel the heat radiating from his body.
Ororo’s nose wrinkled and she raised one silver eyebrow. “Does that line ever work?”
“Storm.” Xavier chided. “Mr. Shaw and I were just discussing your visit to his club.”
Storm glanced at the Professor. “I’ll pay for whatever damage--”
“Nonsense,” interrupted Shinobi. “My behavior was deplorable and you had every right to react as you did.”
Although his tone was level Storm got the distinct impression of an underlying malevolence in his voice.
“I came here to apologize.” Shinobi was saying. He pulled Ororo’s hand into his, raising it to his lips, grazing her knuckles in the faintest of touches. “Forgive me?”
“Of course she forgives you,” Xavier replied for her, rolling forward. “Storm, I was informing Mr. Shaw-
“Shinobi, please.”
“Very well, Shinobi. I was just informing Shinobi about what it is we do here at the Institute. He seems most interested.”
“I am.” Shinobi stated, his dark eyes never leaving Storm’s face. “Very interested.”
She yanked her hand away. “What does any of this have to do with me?” Ororo asked Xavier, watching Shinobi from the corner of her eye. The way he looked at her made her skin crawl. It was blatant lust in his eyes and she knew the Professor could see it as easily as she could.
*Relax, child.*
Almost immediately Ororo felt the tension leaving her shoulders. She glared at Xavier. *Stay out of my mind.*
*I will explain all soon, Storm. For now, try and play nice.*
“I was hoping for a tour of the grounds. Perhaps you would care to give me one?” Shinobi asked, his cultured tones like smooth satin. “Since you are the only X-Man I am acquainted with.”
Storm shook her head. “I am afraid I have a previous engagement.”
Shinobi gave Xavier a pointed look. “Hmm. That’s too bad.”
*Perhaps another time.*
Storm blinked heavy eyes. “Perhaps another…no.” She glared at Xavier, eyes flashing. “Professor? Could I have a word?”
Charles nodded. “If you will excuse us, Mr. Shaw.” Xavier said and Ororo got the feeling he was subtly giving Shinobi the desire to leave. She almost smiled.
“Of course. I myself have a previous engagement this evening, so I will be leaving. I will be in touch tomorrow.”
“I look forward to it,” Charles said amicably.
At Xavier’s buzzer Winston appeared. “Please escort Mr. Shaw to his limo.”
As Shinobi passed her he whispered, “I much prefer the corset and pants to this drab uniform.” Storm frowned at his back.
The second she heard the latch click behind Winston and Shaw, Ororo turned on Xavier. “What was that?” she hissed.
At least he didn’t pretend ignorance. “A nudge.”
“A nudge? I don’t want to be nudged anywhere near that guy.”
Xavier rolled to his desk, opening a locked drawer, withdrawing a black file. He tossed it on the desk. “Perhaps you won’t have to be. Open it.”
Ororo opened the file. Inside were pictures of an elaborate room, chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, expensive portraits on the wall. Another photo appeared to be a glass case and yet another was a close up of one of the portraits on the wall. In the center of one photograph sat several scantily clad mutants. She raised her eyes at Xavier questioningly.
“They are the Hellfire Club. Sebastian Shaw is the man in the middle. On his right is Tessa, she works for me, providing me information on the inner dealings of the Club. It’s through her I learned of Shinobi’s interest in you. Sebastian is Shinobi‘s father. They have a…strained relationship. Sebastian Shaw is in possession of some rather rare artifacts that he believes may contain information on the origin of the mutant genome.“ Xavier paused, looking at her. “Through you I hope to acquire these artifacts.”
Storm snapped the folder shut. “So you know want me to steal for you?”
“Yes. But I also require information. Sebastian Shaw is a very wealthy and powerful man. A man I once considered my friend, but now…many things have changed.”
“Funny, you said the same thing about Magneto. You have a hard time keeping friends it seems.”
Xavier frowned at her. “Insolence will not be tolerated, Storm. You have a real chance here to have the family you‘ve always wanted, to have a home. In return I ask very little.”
Storm sighed. “Only our lives.”
“A small price to pay for the measure of happiness and safety I provide here.”
Storm didn’t reply. She didn’t need to, Xavier could read her doubts as easily as if she’d spoken them aloud. “Why me?” she asked after a moment.
“You are one of the best thieves in the world, second only to Gambit, and both of you under my roof. I’d be remiss not to use the assets I have.“
“And,” Ororo prompted.
Xavier gave her a small smile. “I am aware of Shinobi’s attraction to you, Tessa made it clear that you were a sought after commodity, so to speak. I am hoping to use that to our advantage. I need information from young Mr. Shaw and I think you can get it for me, along with the artifact.”
Storm stared at him for a long minute.. “Are you saying what I think you are saying?”
“I want you to get close to Shinobi and work him for information,” Xavier said mildly.
“You want to pimp me so that you can get your hands on his father’s artifacts.”
Xavier raised his somber eyes to hers. “A colorful turn of phrase, but not entirely inaccurate.”
Storm took a deep breath. “Why not just rip the information from his mind? You know I have a…problem getting close to people.”
“From what I felt earlier you are making wonderful progress in that area. As for ripping the information out, i would if I could, but Sebastian Shaw safeguarded his entire organization from telepaths. I can influence, suggest, but not control. I need your help. I'd rather you comply willingly." The thinly veiled threat hung in the air.
Ororo gasped, he eyes wide. She shook her head, wondering where the nice man she had met several months ago had gone. “There is a line, Charles, and you are dangerously close to crossing it.”
Xavier nodded, his own eyes grave. “I know, Storm. Can I count on you?”
Storm took a deep breath. “To an extent. I won’t--”
Charles sensed what she was about to say. “Nor do I expect you to, Storm. Get close, get personal, but there should be no need to get intimate.”
Ororo thought of Shinobi’s lustful gaze and felt the hair on her neck stand up. “All right, but I let my team know what’s going on.”
Xavier shook his head. “I do not believe that would be wise. For now, let them assume that your attraction to young Shaw is genuine.”
Ororo was adamant. “No. I tell them. I just got done explaining that we were a team, no lone agents, and I will not be a hypocritical leader.”
Charles relented. “Very well.” he rolled over to his large window. “I will contact you in the morning for our visit with Shinobi.”
“Can’t wait.” Ororo muttered.
“That’ll be all, Storm.” She moved to leave. “Storm.”
She glanced over her shoulder. “Yes?”
“Thank you. You are a fine leader, and I am proud to have you with us.”
She nodded, uncertain if he genuinely meant it or if it was one more manipulation on his part. Either way it made her chest tight, wanting to believe him.


Harry’s

“Well, he’s not bad looking,” Alison said, biting into a spicy buffalo wing. “Xavier could’ve given you a worse assignment.”
“It’s not his looks that bother me,” Storm said, sipping her water. “It’s him. Period.”
“I’ve never been one on one with the guy, but I hear he’s dynamite in the sack.”
Storm frowned slightly. “I am not interested.”
“Hmph. Just saying,” Ali said licking her fingers. She looked around the room. “Where’s Gambit with our drinks?”
“I think he’s at the bar.” Ororo craned her neck, looking for her friend. Sure enough he was at the bar, leaning against it on one elbow, talking to Jean. Jean! What the heck was she doing here? The redhead glanced up, her green eyes narrowed. Looks pissed, Ororo thought, picking out one of the floating cubes of ice bobbing in her drink. She crunched it between her molars with a satisfied smile.
“You know they say chewing ice is a sign of sexual frustration.”
“Bobby Drake! What’re you doing here?” Kitty exclaimed excitedly, much to Kurt’s displeasure.
“What? Only you guys get to go out? I don’t think so.” he nudged Storm. “Scoot over, babe.”
“That’s my seat.” Wolverine appeared at the table, beer in one hand and a fresh bottle of water in the other. He scowled at the younger boy.
“Hey sorry, man.” Bobby held up his hands. “Jean’s looking for ya.” Bobby added, grabbing a handful of pretzels from the bowl in the center of the table.
Wolverine glanced at Storm, who was staring at her water intensely. He could tell by the set of her shoulders she wasn’t happy. He wanted to ask her about it, but Bobby’s statement caught his attention.
“Why?”
“Don’t know, man. She’s over there.” He inclined his blond head towards the bar.
Wolverine turned, and sure enough Jean was bearing down on him. He set the drinks on the table, crossing his arms over his muscled chest.
“We need to talk,” Jean said when she arrived.
“Not in the mood,” he said flatly.
Jean glanced at the others, then back at Wolverine. “Now.”
“I said I’m not in the mood.” He pulled out a cigar, clenching it between his teeth.
Gambit approached from behind Jean, his red on black gaze resting on Storm, he gave Alison a glance and the pierced girl knew something was up. Gambit motioned for her to get Storm. Uh-oh, thought Alison.
“Uh, hey, Storm, wanna get some air?” She asked catching Gambit’s eye and nodding.
“That sounds good,” Storm said, rising.
“I’ll join ya,” Wolverine added, moving around Jean.
“I’m late.” Jean blurted out grabbing his arm. No explanation needed for that statement.
Everyone froze. Storm still semi bent over the table, Bobby mid-chew, Kitty stared and Kurt blushed beneath his silky fur. Gambit groaned and Alison’s mouth hung open.
Wolverine slowly swiveled his head towards Jean, his dark eyes narrowing. “Then I suggest you go talk ta Scooter.”
“I haven’t been with Scott since…” She trailed off. The entire school had heard about the locker room showdown, so there was no need to continue.
“Excuse me,” Storm made her way past Bobby, breaking the stillness. Wolverine growled, reaching for her. “Storm, wait.”
She avoided his hand. “Jean needs you, Wolverine. I suggest you see to her.” She looked at Gambit. “I’m heading home.”
“Sure t’ing, chere.”
To the rest of her team she said, “No drinking, curfew is one o’clock. I’ll be checking.”
“Wolverine’s drinking,” Alison protested.
“Wolverine’s got a healing factor that keeps him from getting stupid,” Storm added.
“That’s a matter of opinion,” Alison muttered, digging into her hot wings again.
“Don’ worry, Ali, Gambit keep you too busy t‘ wanna drink.”
Kurt smiled. “Goodnight, mama Storm.”
She returned his smile. “Behave children.” She moved towards the door not once looking behind her. She could feel his steel eyes on her back the entire time anyway. Once outside she took a deep breath, closing her eyes. “It doesn’t matter,” she said aloud. “It doesn’t matter.” She opened her eyes, her blue eyed gaze resting on Wolverine’s black and silver motorcycle. Her mouth twitched. She shouldn’t. She was moving towards the bike. She really shouldn’t…
The wind whistled past her ears, her hair flying behind her as she rounded the sharp corner at highly illegal speed, laughing. This was more like it, she thought. Just her and the open road.
She rode for several miles before she realized she was being followed. Had he noticed already that his bike was missing? Ororo slowed, not stopping, allowing a dark black SUV up alongside her. The tinted window rolled down and Shinobi Shaw smiled at her. “Nice night,” he said.
“It was.”
“Are you always so charming or is it just me?”
Storm stopped the bike, planting her feet on the pavement. “What can I do for you, Mr. Shaw?”
His dark look said there were a number of things he’d like her to do for him, or to him, but he simply reached behind him and pulled out a dozen long stemmed red roses. “For you.”
Storm took the flowers, saying, “They won’t last long on the bike.”
Shinobi smiled. “Then I shall bring you more to replace them.”
He had a rather nice smile, Ororo noticed. “That won’t be necessary. I’d rather not have flowers ripped from the earth to satisfy some idiotic womanly need to be admired.”
He laughed. “In that case, how about I take you to my personal menagerie and conservatory tomorrow.”
Storm thought of her assignment. She should go with him, but too easy of an acceptance may make him suspicious. “Is there a locked room and a bed waiting for me there?” she asked angrily.
“Only if you want there to be.” He smiled again, and once again she noticed how pleasant that made him. “ I do apologize for the other night. Club Hellfire is known for its exotic and… adventurous clientele. I assumed you were aware.”
“I wasn’t.”
“I know that now, and I will do whatever you wish to make amends.”
Storm nodded, then very serious, “Dress like a schoolgirl tomorrow. Pigtails and all.”
Shinobi blinked. “Pardon me?”
“You heard me.” With that she gunned the engine, roaring into the night.
In the black SUV Shinobi smiled. She was a rare treasure, indeed.


Harry’s
Parking lot


“Ya have thirty seconds, Red.”
Jean took a step away from him, yanking her arm from his painful grip. “It’s just what I told you, I’m late.”
Wolverine grimaced. “Have ya taken a test?”
“No.”
“Why the fuck not?”
“I wanted to talk to you first.”
He growled. “Yer lying.”
“I am not. I am late.” Jean defended.
“How late?”
“A few days.”
“Mother fu-” Wolverine took a deep breath. “Yer only a few days late, with no test and ya come down here ta announce in front of half the teams that ya may be pregnant, when in all likelihood ya ain’t. Red, I’m gettin’ real tired of yer games.”
“I could be pregnant! We had sex recently!” she defended.
Wolverine stepped close, “In case ya didn’t notice, Jean, I didn’t get off.”
Jean looked confused. “Then why’d you stop?”
“Because I realized what we were doing. For fuck’s sake, Jean, we were on a locker room floor.”
“So? We’ve been there before.”
Wolverine ran one hand through his hair.
Jean tilted her head. “It was her wasn’t it.”
“I don’t know what yer talkin’ about.”
“Storm. Ever since she’s shown up things have been different.”
“Don’t blame her, Jean. You knew as well as I did, all we were was a distraction fer each other.”
Jean shook her head, making her red locks bounce, reaching for him. “I love you.”
“No, ya don’t.” He stepped away from her. “Ya love Scooter.”
Jean looked away. “He doesn’t want me,” she whispered. “Not after…”
“You went back to me.” Wolverine said.
“Yeah.” Her lower lip trembled.
“I’m sorry, Jeannie.” He said it sincerely.
She gave him a tremulous smile. “Me too.”
Wolverine opened his arms and she stepped in. He kissed the top of her head gently. “He’ll come around, Red. He’d be a damn fool not to.”
She cried quietly against him, then pulled away. “Wolverine?”
“Yeah?”
“Thank you.”
He nodded, then looking around the lot, “Where the fuck’s my BIKE?”





You must login () to review.