The entire place was exquisite, Ororo thought as the group walked along the long cobblestone path leading to the main entrance of Shaw Enterprise’s exotic plant conservatory and animal menagerie. The rather large group had arrived only minutes ago and already several excited squeals could be heard from the children. Lush plant fronds reached up towards the bright sun, and through the glass walls Ororo could make out several strange and wonderful creatures. As the children continued to giggle and gasp excitedly Ororo was happy they had brought them along. She looked behind her at Ali and Gambit, who were herding several youngsters, walking hand in hand and she smiled at them. They waved at her.
“It is to your liking?” Shinobi asked quietly as they walked. He had changed from the ridiculous schoolgirl outfit (and she still couldn’t believe he had actually worn it) into a pair of gray slacks and a black tee that hugged his well built form.
He was in all honesty a very attractive man. With dark long locks, and deep eyes he seemed to be a brooder, but more often than not Ororo caught those eyes on her, alight with devilment. He had a strong chin with a slight cleft and a straight nose over a full upper lip, giving him a seductive look. His brows were carefully arched and she got the impression he was big on grooming. Overall, the man looked like sex. There was really no other ay to describe the aura that hovered around him. It was similar to Wolverine’s, in that you were drawn to him, almost commanded to look at him and when you did you couldn’t help but notice how attractive he was. His looks stood out, again much like Wolverine, however, Wolverine exuded danger, sex, sex, sex, and animal magnetism that were unparalleled as far as Ororo was concerned, and Shinobi was a bit like Gambit, in that he seemed to give off an impression of seduction, though much darker than Gambit’s light flirtation. Shinobi made one think of wicked pleasures and forbidden desires. Ororo shook her head, he was a dangerous individual.
“Storm?”
She nodded finally answering his comment. “Yes, Mr. Shaw, this is very nice.”
He opened one large door. “Please, call me Shinobi.”
Ororo nodded again, her eyes drifting to where Wolverine was walking beside Jean, their heads bent in conversation. She tried to ignore the kick she felt in her gut, but it was persistent and in the end she had to look away. “Of course,” she said with a faint smile.
Shinobi glanced down at her. “Is something troubling you?”
“Not at all.“ After several minutes of silence. “I am a bit…thrown by this side of you. When we first met, I never would have pictured you guiding a field trip of children to an animal park.”
He grinned. “I had not intended to today,” he said. “But somehow I get the feeling you are not altogether comfortable with me…yet.”
She gave him a sidelong glance. Perceptive fellow. “I have an aversion to most men who try and lock me in a room and have their way with me.”
“I believe I explained that.” he said.
“I know, you thought I was fair game because I was in your risqué little club.”
Shinobi laughed. “Club Hellfire being mocked. I never thought I’d see the day.”
“Well, I never thought I’d see a man dressed in a catholic schoolgirl uniform just to please me.”
His dark brown gaze was intense. “There are many things I’d do to please you.”
“Okay, see there you go again, given me the willies.” Ororo walked a bit faster.
“I apologize.” Shinobi reached for her arm and instinctively Ororo slapped his hand away.
Wolverine’s head snapped around, gray eyes darkening, teeth slightly bared. “Storm?” His voice was borderline growl.
Ororo ignored him, taking a deep breath. “I’m fine.” she said softly, knowing he could hear her despite the several feet between them.
Jean tugged on his arm and Wolverine reluctantly turned back to her, but he slowed his pace, glancing over his shoulder occasionally.
“I don’t mean to offend you, Storm.” Shinobi held up his hands. “Honestly.”
“I’m not offended, Shaw.“ she said truthfully. “But you presume too much for our short acquaintance.”
Shinobi lead her to a large indoor fountain. The white marble glittered under the spray of water, the spurts fluctuating, delighting the children. “I won’t lie, Storm. I have every intention of trying to seduce you.”
It took a minute for the words to sink in. Storm looked at him, her mouth slightly open, her brows raised. Was he for real?
“It’s looks like those that make it damn near impossible to resist those delicious lips of yours.” Shinobi said, running one knuckle down her bare arm. She didn’t move away, surprising both Shinobi and herself, just stared at him with questioning blue eyes.
“You are either very confident, or very stupid.”
“Perhaps a bit of both.” he agreed. “But, I don’t want us to start off on false pretenses. I like you from what I’ve seen, but as you pointed out we are only briefly acquainted. Therefore, I must acknowledge that my attraction is also based on the physical.” His smile deepened. “And I am very much into the physical.”
“Uh-huh.” Storm moved back slightly, but not completely away, turning to the water, watching the ripples.
“Have I ruined my chances?”
Storm felt a real smile tug at her mouth. “No. I prefer honesty. Always.”
From the opposite side of the fountain Wolverine bared his fangs, growling low in his throat, having heard every word the slick fucker was saying to Storm.
Gambit stepped beside him. “I ‘old ‘im down, you carve.” His red on black eyes shimmered, his jaw clenched. “Two bit piece of Euro-trash makin’ moves on Stormy.”
Wolverine grunted. If Gumbo wasn’t careful he may start to like the guy. “What’s the story here, Cajun? Why‘s Storm all the sudden so hot‘n heavy for the slime ball?”
Gambit looked surprised. “You don’ know?”
“Know what?”
“Merde.” Gambit glared at Ali, knowing she had somehow managed to keep Wolverine out of the loop.
Alison shrugged, looking at her thick black boots as if they fascinated her.
“Know what?” Wolverine repeated impatiently.
“It’s her job to fuck information out of Shaw.” Jean came from behind, sliding her hand along his back. “Sorry, Wolverine, but that‘s what your team is trying not to tell you. Storm is to ‘pump‘ Shinobi Shaw for information.”
“Bitch, I suggest you step the fuck off,” Alison said heatedly. “How in the hell do you even know about Storm’s assignment anyway? Reading minds without permission, Jean? How very tactful of you. What’s the matter, Marvel girl? Jealous Xavier didn’t think you’d be a desirable enough distraction?”
Gambit stepped between them, a small smile on his face. “Come on, Ali. I t’ink you made your point. We go see Stormy, non?”
“No, Gambit. I have a few more words for miss high and mighty here.”
“Now’s not da time, petite.” Gambit circled her wrist with his agile fingers, bringing the palm of her hand to his lips. “We ‘ave ot’er concerns, like a group of mischievous children t’ look after.”
Alison felt the fight seep out of her at his touch. Damn the man! “Fine, but the evil red-headed stepchild is gonna get hers eventually.” She said when they were out of earshot.
Gambit chuckled. “Of dat I ‘ave no doubts, but from da look on Stormy’s face last night you may ‘ave t’ stand in line.”
Alison smiled at that. “Storm was pissed, wasn’t she? She hid it well, at least from me, until this morning. Did I tell you she took out a heavy bag with one kick?”
“Storm’s very good at ‘iding ‘ow she feels.” Gambit confirmed. “Always been dat way wit’ my padnat. Never get close, never get ‘urt.”
Alison paused, glancing at him. “You two seem awfully tight.”
“We are. Stormy be my greatest love.”
Alison looked away scowling. Gambit cupped her chin. “Don’ do dat, chere. Stormy and me are…bonded, but not lovers. Not like you and Gambit, non?”
“You’re terrible, Gambit,” Alison said, but she smiled. “Have you ever wanted to be?” She asked after another minute, unable to let it go completely. “I mean she’s gorgeous. Any man would want to, you know…”
“No.” Gambit was very firm. “She’s my sister, chere. I’ll leave da gross interfamily relationships t’ Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.”
Alison laughed. “Ok. Point well taken. Now let’s go rescue Storm from Shaw. Although, and don’t hate me here, Yummy, I don’t think her being involved with Shinobi is such a bad idea.”
“Weren’t you da one dat said da Shaws was bad news?”
“They are,” she confirmed, “but if the Professor’s putting her in the lion’s den anyway, why not enjoy herself?”
Gambit frowned, not replying, looking over his shoulder at Wolverine, who was once again involved in discussion with Jean. His red eyes narrowed. As much as he was loathe to admit it, Gambit knew Storm loved Wolverine. He had never seen her crack before and the first night he had arrived at the Institute something the other man had done had made Stormy cry. She had tried to hide it by taking a shower, but at the first drops of rain against the windows Gambit had known and it had troubled him.
“Hey you guys!” Colossus hollered interrupting Gambit’s inner thoughts. The rather large man called out from inside a huge glass room, in which he was surrounded by sleek panthers. “This is amazing! Storm come look!”
“On my way, Petey!” Ororo moved away from Shinobi, where she had been standing motionless for several minutes, neither of them talking, simply looking at each other. The back of her head ached a bit, Ororo noticed, but dismissed it as the bright sun and no sunglasses.
Once inside Ororo was enthralled with the foreign wildlife and exclusive plants. She caressed lush petals and inhaled delicious scents. This place was remarkable, she thought. A paradise.
“You seem right at home here,” Shinobi commented, moving beside her. “Like you could be an Earthly Goddess.”
Storm blushed, pushing a stray lock of colorless hair behind her ear. “I don’t think I’ve ever been mistaken for one of those before. A demon maybe…”
Shinobi grinned. “I was right. There is a devilish side to you after all.”
“Perhaps.” Ororo strolled away from him and Shinobi watched with an appreciative eye the gentle sway of her hips through the white of her dress.
“Enjoying the view, Bub?”
Shinobi turned, looking into glinting eyes of steel gray. “Wolverine, wasn’t it?’ He gave Wolverine an assessing stare. “Your reputation precedes you, Wolverine. Imagine, an assassin of your skill and notoriety reduced to babysitting. How very unexciting for you.”
Wolverine ignored the comments and snarled. “Storm ain’t yer type.”
A lazy smile split the other man’s face. “I think she is.”
“I’m only gonna warn ya once. Creep yer sorry ass back ta whatever slimy rock ya crawled out of, before I send ya back in pieces.”
Shinobi was silent, then, “Is she yours? Should I lift her skirt so you can piss on her leg?”
Wolverine growled.
“I didn’t think so. Storm doesn’t strike me as the type to stray. Can the same be said for your other woman?” Shinobi glanced pointedly at Jean who was speaking with Colossus near the monkey exhibit. She was laughing at something the large Russian was saying, her hand on his arm.
“She ain’t my woman.” Wolverine snapped.
“Which one? Both? Perhaps some of your reputation was exaggerated. You are rumored to be an exceptional lover.” Shinobi’s smile turned mildly sensual. “Are you?”
Wolverine’s ebony brows shot down and he leaned close growling, “Ya fuck wit’ Storm and I’ll see yer sorry ass filleted and mounted. And not in any way ya’d like ya sick fuck.”
Shinobi’s smile broadened. “So protective. A big brother perhaps?”
“Non, dat’d be me.” Gambit strolled up on Shinobi’s other side. “Wolverine, let’s go.”
“Not until Skippy here agrees ta stay away from Storm.”
Despite the intimidation from both powerful mutants Shaw seemed nonplussed. He smiled and said, “I want nothing more than to make her smile.“ He nodded to both men, then moved away, joining Storm who was now with Colossus and Jean.
“He’s lying.” Wolverine growled.
“No shit, homme.” Gambit frowned as Shinobi touched Storm’s hair, and she flinched. It was almost indiscernible but he saw it.
“She’s uncomfortable,” Wolverine said, clearly irritated.
“Yes. She don’ like t’ be touched.”
Wolverine recalled several previous occasions when she’d said as much to him. “You touch her.” He said to Gambit.
“I don’ want t’ screw ‘er.” Gambit returned, his eyes hard.
Wolverine looked back at Storm, who glanced at him over the gentle curve of one caramel shoulder. “What happened?”
Gambit sighed. Storm would kill him, he knew, but something in Wolverine’s intense gaze told him he could trust him. “She was attacked.”
Wolverine tensed. “Attacked?”
“Oui.” Another deep breath. “She doesn’t talk about it.”
Wolverine scowled, his eyes turning black. “When?”
“She was twelve.” Gambit sat on one of the many strategically placed boulders around the conservatory. “Stormy, was always beautiful. She was admired from da time Papa and I took ‘er in. Women and men would stop us and remark on what a beautiful li’l girl we ‘ad. It was common.” Gambit swallowed.
“Go on.” Wolverine was tense.
“So, no one saw it unusual when one of da Guild regulars said da same t’ing. Always saying ‘ow pretty she was, ‘ow sweet she smiled.” Gambit spat on the ground. “He was always touching ‘er ‘air, kissing her cheeks. Not‘in real noticeable, but lookin‘ back da signs were dere. We was jus’ too blind ta see…Den, one night when Papa and me was out on a job, da man broke into our ‘ome. Stormy was alone, asleep in ‘er bed.”
Wolverine felt his blood run cold.
“She fought.” Gambit smiled faintly. “She always fights. Dere was a struggle and she stabbed ‘im.”
“Stabbed him?”
Gambit nodded. “Since before she lived wit’ us she slept wit’ a blade under ‘er pillow. She still does. I’ll be ‘appy when da day comes it ain’t dere, cause dat’ll mean she feels safe. Somet’in I don’ t’ink Stormy ‘as ever felt.”
“What happened then?” Wolverine asked, his heavy gaze on Storm. She was petting a pale cockatiel, smiling at something Shinobi was saying. Wolverine ran one hand through his unruly hair, exhaling, waiting for Gambit to continue.
“She ran. Papa and me found ‘er two days later in da subway. A very clever place for ‘er t’ hide.”
“Why?”
“She’s a claustrophobe. Being underground…well, let’s jus’ say she’s not comfortable wit‘ dat eit‘er. Anyway, we found ‘er. She was frantic, thinking she’d killed da man.”
“She didn’t?”
“Non.”
“What happened to him?”
“I killed ‘im.” Gambit said it without a trace of remorse and Wolverine nodded. “Made ‘im eat a deck of cards.” Yup, he liked the Cajun.
Gambit was continuing. “I don’ t’ink dat’s da only reason for ‘er fear of touch, but it magnified ‘er dislike of it and now, I’m just about da only one she let’s get close.” Gambit paused. “And you.”
Wolverine was surprised. He wasn’t sure how much Gambit knew of him and Storm. “I ain’t gonna hurt her.”
“Ya already have, Wolverine.” Gambit stood. “Do ‘er a favor and stay away. This assignment is important to Xavier, and I don’t t’ink she can do it wit’ you around.”
Wolverine grimaced. “What exactly does Xavier want her ta do?”
“Get close, get information.” Gambit rotated stiff shoulders. “Dat be all, not what your Jean said.”
“She ain’t my Jean,” he snarled. “And fer the record, Gumbo, I can think fer myself.” He looked at Storm. “She’ll be fine. She’s a strong leader.” Without another word Wolverine stalked away, his mind running through everything Gambit had just told him. Christ.

Later

“Well?” Wolverine asked Jean as she stepped from the med lab.
“Positive.” Jean cried, her green eyes running over.
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. “Your sure?”
“I just said positive,” she snapped. “What are we going to do?”
Wolverine shook his head. “I don’t know. I need a second here, Red.” He took a deep breath. Fuck!!! He wanted to slam his fist through a wall. “Well, first thing we do is get you whatever medical appointments ya need ta stay healthy.”
“Of course.”
Wolverine began pacing. “I need some air.” He left the lab, shoulders hunched.
“How’d he take it?” Henry McCoy asked stepping from the examination room.
“Pretty good,” Jean smiled.
“Just pretty good? I figured the man would be ecstatic.” Hank shook his furry head. “Go figure.”
Jean crossed her arms, her smile evolving into a grin. “Yes, go figure.”





You must login () to review.