Xavier Institute
1 am

Ororo rolled onto her side, blinking weary eyes. Something had woken her. She lay in silence for a minute, the only sound her shallow breathing.
~tink~
There it was again.
Ororo stood, moving towards her balcony windows where the sound came from.
~tink~
A small pebble struck the glass. Ororo opened the door, stepping into the balmy night air, the gentle breeze molding her nightdress to her legs. Below her in the shadows Shinobi Shaw stood dressed as casually as she‘d ever seen the man dress, a dark blue pair of jeans and long sleeved red shirt, marked with a black dragon in the center. He smiled up at her, a completely boyish smile that threw her. “Hi,” he whispered.
“Uh, hi,” she said. “What are you doing here?”
Shinobi gestured to the picnic basket at his feet. “I thought maybe I could interest you in a midnight snack.”
Ororo was surprised to say the least. They had already been out several times since her visit to Shaw Enterprise’s Conservatory two weeks ago. She thought of her previous dates with Shinobi and felt a small smile tug on her mouth. He was surprisingly pleasant company, she had come to realize. His blatant honesty about wanting to seduce her should have frightened her, but instead it actually made her more comfortable. It made things a lot easier for her, knowing his intentions. With Shinobi she didn’t have to worry about hidden motives, or mixed signals. He laid it out straight, he wanted her. Simple. Despite his forward statement and occasional suggestive comments he was always a perfect gentleman, surprisingly funny and unquestionably bold. He was…interesting. He had taken her to the Opera, which despite his assurances she had loathed, then to the theatre, which she had loved, and the two trips back to the Conservatory, minus the crowd of people, and now he offered a surprise picnic.
“How did you get past security?” she whispered.
“You have security?” he teased.
Ororo leaned over the railing. “Apparently not.”
“Well?” he prompted.
“Where’s your entourage?” She asked, referring to the minimum three body guards and several associates that were always hovering around him.
He smirked a bit. “Probably still guarding my bedroom door. They believe I’m…entertaining.”
Ororo laughed. “Ah. And were you?”
“Not tonight.” Shinobi held out his hand. “Come with me.”
The man was temptation. Ororo looked over her shoulder, wondering if she should tell the others she was leaving. No, better not. Gambit would throw a hissy fit. “Let me change,” she called back.
“Why? I think you look captivating.”
Ororo said nothing, shaking her head and grabbing a pair of jeans, pulling on a standard issue gray sweatshirt, and her canvas sneakers. She jogged towards the railing, leaping over and floating to the ground.
“Shall we?” Shinobi held out his hand.
Ororo hesitated only a moment, then she took it, his strong fingers interlacing with hers.
After the blanket was spread on the grass, and the dinner laid out, Shinobi said, “Tell me about yourself.” He sat cross-legged near her, eating, of all things, a ham and swiss sandwich.
“Not much to tell,” she said biting into her own sandwich.
“I find that exceedingly difficult to believe.”
“How about you start,” she countered.
Shinobi shrugged one broad shoulder. “What would you like to know?”
“Hmm…anything?”
“Nearly.”
“Okay.” She thought for a moment, slowly chewing her food. “Favorite movie?”
Shinobi smiled. “Any western, particularly Steve McQueen.”
Ororo laughed. “John Wayne for me.”
“Really?”
“Yep.”
“Give me an impersonation.”
“No.”
“I bet you do a mean pilgrim.” He grinned.
Ororo smiled, biting into her sandwich. “Moving on,” she said. “What about hobbies.”
Shinobi’s smile faded. “I don’t believe my hobbies would interest you.”
She looked at him. “Why not?”
He leaned back, unfurling his legs and resting on his elbows. “My life has been…blessed with excess,” he said carefully. “I have money, I have power but I grow bored easily. At times the things I do to amuse myself are not the things most would deem appropriate.”
Ororo put her sandwich down. “I may surprise you.”
He tilted his head, dark strands of hair falling against his cheek.. “You are a constant surprise, Storm.”
She reached out, brushing the strands away before she caught herself. He made no move to stop her, or grab her so she relaxed. “I still want to know bout you,” she said.
“Very well, fire away.”
“If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?” She returned to the soft questions.
“You forget, Storm. I’m richer than God, I can go anywhere in the world.” His gaze was steady. “I’m right where I want to be.”
Ororo felt her cheeks bloom. “Oh.”
Shinobi sat up. “My turn. Where are you from? You have a very faint accent.”
“I was born in Harlem, but lived in Egypt until I was eight.”
“Your Egyptian?”
She nodded. “My mother’s native land.”
“She must be very beautiful.”
Ororo looked at the sky, watching the stars. “She’s dead.”
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean-”
“You didn’t know.” She forced a smile. “Okay, me again.”
“Hey, I only got one question.”
“Yes, but you didn’t answer my second question, thus forfeiting a second question of your own.”
“Oh, I see how you work,“ he laughed.
Ororo shifted her weight, leaning on her elbow, facing him. “Tell me something about yourself that you think I can’t handle.”
Shinobi became still. There was a long pause, then he sighed. “The night I first saw you at the club, I masturbated while you danced. And I wasn‘t alone.”
Ororo raised one eyebrow. “That’s it?”
“That’s not enough?”
“I saw what was going on in the upstairs of that club. Nothing you could say about that place would surprise me. Besides, you never struck me as mister straight and narrow.”
He was mildly surprised by her easy acceptance she could tell. In truth the idea of him touching himself well he watched her dance was unsettling, but she knew many a male who did the same thing in the shower. Granted they didn’t have an audience, but from what Gambit told her growing up, if they were horny enough, it wouldn’t matter if they did.
“And what about you, Storm? Do you travel the straight and narrow?” He had shifted again, leaning towards her.
“Mostly,” she said softly.
“Yeah…?”
“Yeah.” Her lips tingled with anticipation. His lips were soft and undemanding, brushing hers in light strokes. Ororo’s eyes drifted shut as he wrapped one hand behind her head, his fingers massaging her scalp.
He pulled back slightly, his brown eyes heavy lidded with desire. “Should I stop?” he whispered.
“In a minute,” she smiled.
Shinobi returned his mouth to hers, slowly cajoling her to part her lips, allowing him access to her inner recess. As his tongue met hers, Ororo’s fingers clenched and she felt a wave of guilt assail her. Wolverine….Her heart cried out for him. No, he was Jean’s! And Shinobi was here, and he felt so good…Where in the hell did that thought come from?
He pulled back again, his breathing slightly erratic. “If I don’t stop now, I may not be able to.”
Ororo scootched back. “Then we stop.”
Shinobi stroked his hand down her hair. “All right.” He was serious as he said, “All you ever have to do is say the word, and we’ll go as fast or as slow as you need.”
Ororo closed her eyes. Damn, why did he have to be so…different, than she had first envisioned. “Thank you,” she said.
“No, thank you, Storm. You are a rare treasure, and I would be a fool to not see that.”
She smiled. “Favorite ice-cream?”
Shinobi laughed.


Xavier Institute
Morning


Ororo chewed the end of her Bic ballpoint thoughtfully, looking at the notes she had scribbled on the yellow legal pad in front of her. She jotted down another thought, then blindly reached across the kitchen table for her coffee mug. She sipped the dark steaming liquid and sighed. Oh, caffeine…heavenly bliss. She returned the mug to its resting place and continued to write.
Trapped deep in thought, the smooth voice over her shoulder startled her. “Morning, padnat.” Gambit kissed her cheek, his early morning stubble tickling against her skin.
Ororo gave him a disgruntled look for jumping her. “Good Morning, Remy.”
Gambit took the seat directly across from her, watching her with hooded eyes. “Whatchya workin’ on, chere?”
“Hm? Oh, I’m making plans for the fall semester. Summer break is right around the corner and Xavier wants me to teach a Botany class next semester. I thought I’d get a head start. I’m thinking of adding a field trip to Shaw’s Conservatory to the schedule.”
“Mmhm.”
“What?”
Gambit leaned towards her on his elbows, steepling his fingers against his chin. “Don’ you t’ink you’re spending’ way too much time wit’ dat guy?”
Storm shrugged one shoulder. “I’m supposed to spend time with him, Gambit.”
“You’ve been out wit’ dat man like five times in two weeks, Stormy. Dat’s a bit much even for your assignment, non?”
Storm tilted her head, a cascade of soft hair falling over her arm. “No.”
Gambit frowned. “Don’ let it get personal, chere.”
Ororo thought of their picnic last night and the hours of conversation she‘d enjoyed with Shinobi. “He’s just a mark.” she replied after a moment, returning to her notes.
Gambit didn’t respond, watching her. She looked up annoyed. “What?”
“Not’in’.” He leaned back in his chair, rocking it to and fro, a sly smile on his handsome face.
“Isn’t there somewhere else you could be? Someone else you could be irritating?”
Gambit held his hand over his heart. “Ah, you wound me, Stormy.”
“I just may if you keep calling me that ridiculous name.”
He chuckled. “Papa’s gonna call tonight,” he said after a moment.
Storm brightened. “Really? I‘d love to talk to Papa-Jean.”
Gambit nodded. “Dat is if your even ’ome and not out on some whirlwind romance wit’ Shaw.”
Storm wrinkled her nose and poked out her tongue.
“That’s mature.” Jean said, walking through the swinging door with Wolverine, catching the last of the exchange.
As always Ororo’s breath caught at the sight of him. Although she’d seem him almost everyday, training with the team, they hadn’t spoken more than ten words to each other, and still the effect he had on her only increased daily.
He looked gorgeous this morning in a black muscle shirt and faded jeans, black boots, an open flannel and a cowboy hat, oohhh, the cowboy hat. Ororo felt her heart hammer against her ribs. Damn him.
Despite the wrenching in her gut at the sight of the reunited couple, Ororo managed a smile over the rim of her coffee cup . “Maturity is overrated, Marvel Girl.” She sipped and suddenly grimaced.
“What’s da matter?” Gambit asked.
“It’s gone cold.“ Storm teasingly accused. “Someone was distracting me with their blathering.”
Gambit grinned. “I distract you?”
“You are incorrigible.” Ororo muttered.
“I love when you talk dirty,” He winked at her.
“Do you flirt with everyone that moves?” Jean said to Storm, seating herself at the table. Storm rolled her eyes.
One corner of Gambit’s mouth turned up. “So, chere, where are you and Shinobi off t’ today.” He intentionally ignored Jean, and brought up a subject he knew irritated the shit out of Wolverine. The other day Gambit had trained with him in the Danger Room and at the mere mention of Storm and Shinobi Wolverine had unsheathed his claws and practically brought the room down around their ears.
“Yer seein’ that dirt bag again?” Wolverine growled, opening the fridge and pulling out a beer.
Jean gave him disapproving look. “It’s a little early don’t you think?”
“No.” Wolverine turned to Storm and demanded, “Are you?”
Leveling him a cool look she said , “As a matter of fact, no. I hadn’t planned on seeing Shinobi today. He has meetings and I have training.”
“Meetings, right.” Wolverine snorted. “Yer takin’ yer sweet time with this assignment, Storm.”
“It’s only been two weeks. What would you have me do, Wolverine. Say, Gee, Shinobi, would you mind spilling the dirt on your dad and giving me the combination to your safe? I‘d sure appreciate it.”
“I’d have the information by now,” Jean said confidently, giving Wolverine a smile.
Looking at her Wolverine grimaced. Why had he ever found her attractive? Sure she was pretty enough, but her personality left much to be desired. When the hell did he start caring what their personalities were like? He snapped open his beer, taking a long drink. Since he’d met a woman who made him laugh, who stood her ground, who inspired him to want to be more than a viscous killer. He glared at Storm accusingly.
Ororo looked at Jean. “No you wouldn‘t. Shinobi‘s not easily manipulated. He thinks, and he calculates. He‘s a very astute individual.” Ororo stated, drawing shocked looks from both Gambit and Wolverine. There was far too much admiration in her voice as far as both men were concerned.
“And not to mention he’s dynamite in the sack,” Alison said, strolling through the door, stifling a yawn.
Gambit shot her a narrow look. Wolverine rumbled.
“So I’ve heard,” Ali added with a shrug, making her way to the coffee pot.
Storm laughed ruffling Gambit’s hair. “She’s a handful,” she whispered.
“So are you,” he countered.
“I’ll see you later.” She said gathering her things, heading towards the swinging doors.
“Storm, wait up.” Ignoring Jean’s scowl Wolverine followed Storm into the living room.
Giving him an impatient look she asked, “What?”
Wolverine scowled at her. “I don’t trust, Shaw.”
“I don’t think we’re supposed to. That’s kind of the point behind my assignment.” She moved to walk away. He stepped in front of her.
“The guy is dangerous. I did some research, he’s a womanizer, a playboy and a suspected murderer, for Christ’s sake.”
“How does that make him any less redeemable than you?” The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them.
Wolverine flinched as if she’d slapped him.
“Oh, hey, I didn’t mean--”
“Just watch yerself, kid. I‘d hate ta see ya get hurt.” He walked away, back stiff, head bent.
Ororo sighed. Perfect.

Danger Room Turret
Three hours later

“Can I get a word, Chuck?”
“Of course, Wolverine.”
Wolverine leaned against the console, crossing his arms over his chest. “Pull her off the Shaw assignment.”
Professor Xavier, examined a printed readout . “I appreciate your…concern… for Storm, but she is quite capable of handling herself.”
Wolverine grunted. “Look, there are some things you may not be aware of,” he began.
“I am aware.” Xavier interrupted, lifting his gaze to Wolverine’s. “Anything else?”
Wolverine growled. “If ya know about her past, how in the hell can ya send her on an assignment that requires her ta get close with the scumbag?”
Xavier’s mouth thinned. “Take a look down there, Wolverine, and you’ll get your answer.”
Stepping past the Professor Wolverine peered through the glass, taking in the room below. It was dark, the only illumination provided by several red lasers, rotating about the room.
“It’s almost an exact replica of Shinobi Shaw’s home.” Xavier said.
Below in the Danger Room Wolverine noticed a lithe figure dressed in one of the X-Men’s skintight black pajama suits, entering through a window, dropping to the floor silently. Storm. He’d recognize her anywhere, even with her face cloaked by a mask and snow hair hidden. As he watched she moved forward, arching her back, maneuvering her body around the laser beams, doing acrobatics Olympic gymnasts would envy. She paused, on her hands, her legs in the air, bent at impossible angles, and he could almost hear her counting, waiting for the rotation. Sure enough, as the lights began to move, so did she, slinking past and under the last of them. She stood in front of a bare wall. Wolverine stood transfixed, watching her slide her hands against the surface, wondering what she was doing.
Once again Xavier spoke. “She’s sending small currents of electricity through the wall, when they come in contact with the safe, she’ll know where to extract. She’s the best chance we have of getting in and getting what I’m after.”
“And what is that exactly, Chuck?”
“Artifacts.”
“My ass.”
“Whether you like it or not, Wolverine, I am in charge of this institution and my orders stand. Storm is the best shot we have of infiltrating Shaw’s home.”
Wolverine snarled, “Ya have a god damn replica of the guys home. Send the Cajun.”
“I need more than a good thief, Wolverine. I need information.” Xavier rolled back. “Storm holds some sort of fascination for young Shaw, and if need be, we’ll exploit that.”
“What about her?”
“Storm will do her job, Wolverine. She has no choice.” With those words Xavier wheeled himself from the room, leaving Wolverine growling after him.
Ororo felt the latch give and the safe open. She smiled triumphantly. “End program,” she said and the lights flickered back on, the interactive holograms vanishing. Ororo gasped at Wolverine, who was leaning against the wall, staring at her.
She yanked her mask off. “How did you get in here?”
“You think yer the only sneaky one around here?”
Ororo shook her head. “No, I think there are plenty of sneaky people here. What can I do for you, Wolverine?”
“Ask ta be let off the Shaw assignment.”
Ororo sighed. “Are we back to that? Wolverine, let it go.”
Wolverine stalked towards her. “I can’t let it go. I’m worried about ya.”
“Don’t be. I’m fine.” She stepped away from him.
“Don’t.” his voice was rough. “Don’t walk away from me.”
Ororo lowered her head. “What do you want, Wolverine?” her voice was very tired.
Instead of vocalizing any answer he lifted her chin with his thumb and forefinger, gazing into her swimming blue eyes. “This,” he kissed her. His mouth covered hers, his lips possessing hers gently, he nipped and tugged, but didn’t pressure. Then she made small sound of acceptance and he was lost, jacketing her with his arms, holding her close, deepening the kiss.
Ororo moaned, her arms wrapping around his neck, a sob in her throat. The kiss was long and full of everything left unsaid the past few weeks and Ororo’s chest hurt. She pulled away. “I can’t.”
“’Ro.”
“No, Wolverine. Jean is who you need to be concerned about.”
“I don’t love her. I…”He stopped.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
Ororo stepped from his arms and he let her, very reluctantly. “I need to go.”
“Yeah.” Wolverine turned away from her.
Ororo wanted to comfort him, she could see the pain in his eyes, but it hurt her too much. Jean, was with him again and pregnant with Logan’s child. Hell, that fact had lead Cyclops to disappear with Hank into parts unknown., and made her stomach roll.
Before she reached the door Wolverine caught the scent of saline and his gut tightened. All he ever did was hurt her, it seemed. Fuck.


Lunch
Student Cafeteria

“Hi, Kitten.” Ororo slid into the chair beside the young woman.
Kitty didn‘t even glance up. “Hey.”
Storm studied the other girl for a moment. Her normally sparkling honey eyes were flat and no perky smile graced her pretty freckled face. “Why so down?”
Kitty sighed. “It’s Kurt. He won’t sit with me in here because he’s afraid of what people will say.”
Ororo was surprised. Kurt had been doing so well. “What happened.”
Kitty jerked her head towards Jean’s table, where she sat with Warren, Colossus, a girl named Dani, and several other mutants that Ororo didn’t recognize. “What happened?” Ororo asked very softly.
“Kurt, commented on her… on her…you know, and she said, and I’m quoting here, ‘Yes, thankfully I won’t have to worry about any blue furred freaks in my family.’”
Ororo tensed.
“I told him to ignore her, but, he’s been real withdrawn.”
“When did this happen?”
“Yesterday.”
Ororo shifted, glaring at the redhead. “Why wasn’t I told?”
Kitty shrugged. “Kurt didn’t want to bother you with it. Said something about it just being words.”
“Damn.” Ororo stood.
“Where are you going?”
“To make a certain princess eat some words.” She marched towards Jean’s table, her eyes frosting. Once there Ororo slammed the flat of her palms into the table, jarring the food trays and spilling some drinks.
Jean looked up at her, a small smile on her porcelain face. “Storm.”
“Next time you open your mouth, I want you to think real hard about what it is you’re about to say. You’re a telepath, Jean, you know what hurts and you use it like some childish little girl. I’m sick of watching people bow down and kiss your worthless feet. It‘s not right.” Ororo glared *You reading me?* She sent out an image of Jean’s flesh melting away as lightening tore through her body.
Jean jerked away from the table and over Storm’s shoulder caught sight of Wolverine bearing down on them.
*Eat shit, cow. I only told your worthless little freak-show what you’re too chickenshit to say. Besides, what‘s a two-bit thief and murderer doing lecturing me on right and wrong. At least I didn‘t crush my mother‘s skull under a ton of rubble.*
“Bitch.” Ororo’s lip curled back and she reached for Jean’s throat.
“Oohhh,” Jean moaned, backing away, clutching her stomach.
-SNIKT- Ororo was pulled back by her hair, three blades pressed to her neck. “What the fuck are ya doin’, Storm?”
Storm’s eyes returned to normal, reflecting a look of absolute disgust at him. “Put them away, Wolverine, before I turn you into a lightning rod,” she hissed. For a minute he didn’t move, just stood glaring at her, claws extended and fangs bared.
Wolverine retracted, rounding the table and rubbing Jean’s shoulders. “You all right, darlin‘?”
Ororo couldn’t stomach it, the sight of him, comforting her…that witch, and she walked away. As she crossed the now silent cafeteria she was overwhelmed by a mental images of Jean and Wolverine, together, writhing and moaning in ecstasy. Memories, she realized that Jean was sending to her in graphic detail. Wolverine’s mouth on her chest, his hands in her hair as he entered her, his hoarse voice saying deliciously wicked things to her…to Jean. For a moment Ororo faltered, her body staggering under the heavy emotional toll so many images wrought. More pictures, saturating her consciousness…. Jean screaming in release… Wolverine growling and sweat slicked. Ororo placed her hand to her head, but the images and emotions were relentless. She felt a burning sensation behind her ears and knew that the neural inhibitors Xavier had made for her were burning out. No. No! She tried to fight the mental onslaught and regain control. Thunder boomed overhead, lightening crashing into the ground, and the cafeteria darkened as black clouds swirled overhead. Ororo pressed her hands to her eyes, trying to block it all out, knowing it was futile. Stay in control!! Stay in control! Suddenly memories of her mother surfaced, her beautiful face bloodied, her eyes glazing as she welcomed death, her hand icy in Ororo’s grasp, the heavy weight on her chest, the air hard to breathe as her home collapsed around her. Jean was brutal and Ororo wanted to scream.
An blast of air shattered the windows, the explosion sending shards of glass across the room at dangerous velocity, causing everyone to dive under the tables except Wolverine and Storm, and effectively breaking Jean’s hold on Storm.
“Stormy!” Gambit rushed the cafeteria, catching her as her legs gave way, her body pierced with glass in several places, blood running from her face, and arms. He glared at Jean and Wolverine. “What did you do?!”
*Gambit! Bring her to me!* Xavier summoned.
Gambit lifted Storm into his arms. As Wolverine approached them, Gambit swore at him, “You miserable, Salaud! Stay away from her.” He raced her through the halls. “I’m ‘ere, padnat.”
Storm made no reply, clutching her hand over her ears, the roaring unbearable. “Help me, Gambit! Before he gets in, help me!!” She clutched his shoulders. “Don’t let him in!!” She was screaming now, her eyes stark white. Wind howled and thunder cracked. Gambit’s feet flew across the carpet, down the halls, to Xavier’s office. He kicked the door open and rushed inside.
“Lay her down,” Xavier motioned to the long leather couch in the corner.
Gambit laid her down gently. “It’s all right, chere.”
Ororo struggled to sit, a raw scream tearing from her throat. “Help me!!”
“Leave us,” Xavier commanded.
Gambit shook his head. “Non.”
“*NOW!*” It was both a verbal and mental command that Gambit had no choice but to obey.
Gambit rested his head against the slammed door, his palm flat on the surface. He heard the distinct sound of a lock clicking into place. “Oh, Padnat, not again…”
“What’s going on?” Wolverine came up behind Gambit.
A blood curdling scream came from the locked room, reverberating around them, then a deep silence.
Wolverine’s claws burst forth. “Move.”
“You can’t get in. Xavier’s wit’ ‘er.”
Wolverine felt his chest tighten, every breath harsh. “What happened, Gumbo?”
Gambit whirled on him. “Go away, Wolverine. She doesn’t need you now.”
The door opened and Xavier rolled out. “Professor?” Gambit asked.
“She’s sleeping. I’ve sent for Warren to come cleanse her wounds.”
“What happened?” Wolverine snarled, patience gone.
“That question would be best directed at Jean, Wolverine.” Xavier said mildly. “And I plan to ask her myself.”
“She’s resting.” Wolverine stated. in a tone that said he would make sure she stayed that way.
Xavier closed his eyes, then, “I see. Perhaps this situation is best left until tomorrow.”
“I’m here.” Warren said, flying down the hall, medical bag in hand. As Xavier rolled back allowing Warren entry Wolverine was startled by what he saw. Ororo’s head was crowned with some sort of electronic device, with blinking lights, two rods seemingly embedded into her temples.
“What the hell is that for?” His voice was a deep rumble.
“Protection.” Xavier said calmly.
“What’s she need to be protected from?” Gambit asked, glancing at Wolverine.
“It’s not for her. It’s for us.” Xavier rolled back into the office, closing the door with a solid click.





You must login () to review.