The night was beautiful. Clear black sky with countless stars, the air clean and fresh. Wolverine gunned the engine, sending him and his companion roaring down the drive of the Xavier Institute. The wrought iron gates opened as they approached, their sensors indicating his approach, but it was a narrow fit at the speed he was traveling.

Ororo turned her head, seeing a small sliver of white material waving from the gate. A piece of her nightdress, she realized, caught on the still yawning barricade. The man liked to live on the edge, she thought with a smile.

Wolverine felt her arms squeeze him tighter and he thought perhaps he was frightening her. Suddenly she leaned up, laughter mixed with her smoke on satin voice. “Drive faster!” Then she released him, leaning back, arms spread wide, her hair billowing behind them like a glowing banner in the night.

Wolverine grinned, pushing his machine even further. They rode for hours, going nowhere, enjoying the scenery, the night sky, that was slowly turning pink in anticipation of the suns warm embrace, and each other. Occasionally he would feel her lean her head against his back, her arms sliding around his waist, and he would smile. He had never taken anyone out on his bike before, and he was suddenly very thankful that this woman was the first, and probably the only.

He pulled to a stop atop a remote cliff, overlooking the city. Ororo climbed off the back, stretching her arms high over her head, arching her back. One corner of his mouth turned up as he stared at her, the material of her nightdress virtually sheer in the early dawn.

Ororo breathed deep. Wow. What a place. She loved the view of the city, and right behind her were several large trees, blocking the area from the road. She doubted anyone but Wolverine would drive that narrow and very sheer incline to reach this spot.

“Come up here often?” She asked, running her fingers through her wind tangled hair.

“Not as often as I’d like.”

She walked over to the edge of the cliff. “The view is magnificent.”

“Yes.” He was right behind her now, his hot breath tickling her ear. Ororo jumped a little. “What’s the matter, darlin’? Worried I’ll push ya?”

He was a little too smug, she decided with an internal smirk. She took a large step forward over the edge, freefalling. “Storm!” He tried to grab her arm, his hands closing on empty air.

“What?” She asked mildly, floating up until she was a few feet away from him in open air.

“Fuckin’ flyer.” She heard him mutter.

“Not really. More of a rider,” she said. “Here, let me show you.” Ororo concentrated, pulling him towards her with a powerful wind.

“Hey, hey!” Wolverine said as his feet were taken out from under him and he was pulled out alongside of Storm.

“I’m heavy,” he said. “Three hundred pounds worth of adamantium here, darlin’.”

“Hm.” She pushed him up with a mental command, buoying him like he weighed no more than a balloon.

“Okay, you’re strong. Now, put me back down.”

“Afraid?”

“No. It’s just that me and heights ain’t the best of friends.”

“All right.” Ororo pushed him back onto the cliffs edge, following.

“I didn’t know you could fly.”

“Ride.”

“Whatever.”

She shrugged, walking away from him, saying over her shoulder, “There are lots of things you don’t know about me, Logan.”

God, he liked the way his name sounded coming from her mouth. “I’m eager ta learn.” He moved towards her, his eyes taking on a predatory gleam.

Ororo unconsciously backed away until she was pressed against one of the large trees she had noticed on their arrival. Wolverine pursued her until he was directly in front of her, steel eyes turning black. He leaned in close and…sniffed her. Ororo raised one eyebrow. Instinctively she knew, just KNEW he would never hurt her so she tilted her head, giving him better access.

She smelled so right. Wolverine leaned his face into the crook of her neck, inhaling again. She sighed. No fear. None at all. He was so close, eyes practically feral he knew because of the desire raging just under his skin, but she showed no fear.

“’Ro.” He nuzzled her throat, his days growth stubble scratching her tender skin.

“Logan,” she breathed.

-SCHUNKT- Six blades pierced the wood on either side of her head, imprisoning her. She blinked, lips parting on a soft gasp.

Wolverine leaned forwards, his firm lips teasing her pouty ones, brushing like butterfly wings. Ororo sighed, her hands threading through his surprisingly soft ebony hair. He deepened the kiss, pressing himself flush against her, rubbing himself along her body.

Ororo’s eyes widened. Oh, my! She moaned as his tongue pushed past her lips and teeth, entering the cinnamon recess of her mouth. He stroked, cajoled and teased her with his mouth, his low growls intoxicating. “Logan,” she sighed as his mouth trailed her chin, finding the dimple along her collarbone.

“’Ro.” He rumbled. Wolverine retracted his claws, sprinkling bark chips along their shoulders. He needed to touch her. Running his hands along her sides, cupping her breasts. He could feel her nipples harden beneath the thin material of her nightdress.

Ororo’s eyes flew open. Goddess! What in the name of the Bright Lady was she doing? She turned her head, breaking their kiss.

“Darlin’?” He was breathing heavy, his broad chest moving in and out beneath her hands.

“I apologize, Wolverine. That should not have happened.”

“Why not? You wanted it just as much as I did.” His tone was defensive.

“I’m not denying that,” she smiled. “I find you incredibly attractive. I wouldn’t lie to you about that. But I am not in the habit of.. Of..” she waved her hands, indicating their compromising position.

Wolverine chuckled. “We could make it a habit.”

“And Jean?”

“Over.”

Ororo blinked. Oh, what the-- No way she was going to be some guy’s rebound chick. “Sorry, Logan. I don’t do the consolation prize routine.”

Dark eyebrows furrowed. “Consolation prize?” It took him a moment, but he got it. “Ororo, you’re the goddamn grand prize trip for two to Jamaica, baby.”

“Uh-huh. Did I become grand prize by default?”

“You’re an persistent little wench, aintchya.”

His jacket started beeping before she could answer.

“What‘s that?” She pointed at the black and silver circle device he pulled out. It was engraved with a large red X.

“This? This means it’s time to go to work, Storm.”

“Sure, anything to get out of answering.“

Wolverine tensed and Ororo thought maybe she had upset him, but when he placed his hand to his temple, she heard a voice in her head and knew the others were hearing it to. *To the War Room, X-Men.*

War Room

“Sentinels.” Cyclops said, voice hard, as the team watched the big screen television in the War Room. Onscreen large robotic monstrosities were wrecking a small portion of a distant city, their eyes glowing and laser beams shooting from their hands. Their targets clearly a small group of mutants, hiding out in the abandoned buildings of an old neighborhood.

Around the long dark table the X-Men stood, suited up, staring at the horrific scene in seething anger. Wolverine let out a fierce snarl. “What the fuck are we waiting for?”

“Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler, head out! Beast, Warren and I will monitor you from here.” Xavier commanded. He pushed a button and the dark oak table top slid back revealing com-link communicators. Each of them grabbed one, pushing in the earpiece, checking frequencies.

“Me too!” Kitty exclaimed. She was shaking slightly, but determined.

“And me!” Bobby stood up.

“If you feel you are ready,” Xavier said. “Listen to Cyclops, follow his command.” They nodded in unison. “Go then, my X-Men!”

“All right!” Bobby exclaimed his body becoming blue-gray ice.

“Let’s move!” Cyclops ordered. He was a completely different person when in charge of his team Ororo noticed. No pushover here, just a solid commander. She was impressed.

Marvel Girl flicked her a look and Storm got the distinct impression she had picked up that last thought. Oh, well.

As the team raced from the room, Ororo hung back for a moment. “Sentinels?”

“Government weapons created for the eradication of the mutant species. I am sorry that you have not had the chance to train properly against them Storm. But there is no time, the team needs you.”

She turned to leave, but Xavier halted her with his next words. “Don’t hold back, Storm.”

With one last look over her shoulder at the screen Ororo followed the team out, her mouth a grim line of determination.

“All set, darlin’?” Wolverine asked as she caught up with them.

“All set.”

The Black Bird Hanger

“Holy shit.” Iceman said inside the jet. Being an underclassman he had never seen the Black Bird up close, only as it launched from beneath the basketball courts, screaming into the air.

“She’s a piece of work. Forge outdid himself on her.” Marvel Girl replied telekinetically opening the bay doors.

“Ready?” Cyclops flicked several overhead switches.

“Let’s roll.”

The Jet flamed to life, leaving the hanger and the Institute far behind in a matter of seconds. The only evidence of their departure the sonic boom that followed in their wake.

They were only in the air for twenty minutes, covering an unbelievable amount of ground in their supersonic jet. The scene that greeted the X-Men when they reache their destination was horrific. Several bodies already littered the sidewalks and streets. People were screaming trying in vain to escape the Sentinel onslaught.

“Mien Gott!” Exclaimed Nightcrawler.

Cyclops descended quickly, no time for a smooth landing, jarring the occupants of the plane as the wheels hit pavement.

“Next time, I drive,” Marvel Girl said, unbuckling her seatbelt.

“Move people!” Cyclops ordered, opening the hatch. The team dispersed immediately, looking for survivors and the injured.

Ororo followed Kitty, concerned for how pale the girl had become already. She placed her hand on the girl’s shoulder. “All right?”

“Yes. No. I don’t know.”

“I hear you,” Storm said sympathetically.

“Heads up!” Cyclops’s warning came as a large piece of building came tumbling down, directly over Kitty and Storm. Shadowcat reached out, wrapping her hands around Storm’s wrist and squinting her eyes shut, phasing them both through the bricks.

“Thanks.” Storm pulled Kitty away from the wreckage. “Nice job, Kitten. I owe you.”

“Storm! Do you think you can take one of those things out with a bolt or something?” Wolverine asked. He was carrying a small girl on one shoulder and two little boys on another.

"I could probably take out several, but dropping them puts these people in danger. Clear the way for me, Wolverine, and I’ll serve them up to you on a steaming platter.”

“Nightcrawler, check the alleys, Colossus, take the burning buildings. Kitty and Iceman, help Marvel Girl with the wounded. Go!” Cyclops ordered.

Within minutes the X-Men had cleared the block. “Let’s go!” Cyclops started back towards the jet.

“We’re just gonna leave those monsters?” Kitty cried watching as one of the large machines stomped into a building.

“We get these people to safe--” Cyclops was thrown by a red laser, the Sentinels now noticing them. They should have been cloaked still!

“Professor?” Marvel Girl asked into her comm, her heartbeat accelerating. They were coming straight for them.

“I do not know what happened. The Black Birds cloaking device is down, you are vulnerable!”

“Cyclops! Cyclops!” Storm rushed to his side. “Nightcrawler!”

*BAMF*

“Get him on the jet!”

“Ja.”

*BAMF*

“Wolverine. How far away are you?”

“I’m close. What’s wrong?”

“Cyclops is down, the Sentinels know we’re here.” A laser tore through the building to her right. She ducked as debris rained down.

“Storm!”

“Get here!” she demanded. “Colossus, when Wolverine gets here, grab him!”

“Huh?”

“Just do it.”

“Who put you in charge?” Jean demanded.

“We don’t have time to argue. You need to get back to the jet, get it started and be ready to fly.” Storm took to the air.

“I don’t think I should be taking orders from--”

“Don’t think! Just get it done! Now!” She flew straight towards the four towering monstrosities walking towards them with steps that shook the ground. *Charles, what have you dragged me into?*

“Got him!” Came Colossus over the comm.

“Two words big guy. Cannon Ball!”

From the ground Wolverine grinned. Damn! She was brilliant!

“Cannon ball?” Colossus looked at Wolverine.

-SNIKT- “Cannon ball.”

Colossus hurled Wolverine through the air, slamming the adamantium laced man against the chest of the nearest Sentinel. Wolverine snarled, his blades sinking deep as he let himself slide down the metal behemoth to the ground, effectively slicing the thing open.

“Iceman! I need a wall!” Storm said, flying backwards to avoid the lasers directed at her.

“On my way!”

“Nightcrawler, get Shadowcat!”

“I’m here, Storm,” came Kitty. “What can I do?”

Storm lowered herself to the ground. “I know it was you who shorted the cloaking device.”

“It was an accident!” Kitty cried. “It just happens when I phase, I screw things up.”

“I know. I’m counting on it.”

Kitty’s eyes doubled in size.

“Are you up for it?” Storm asked. “Because I know you can do it.”

“No. Yes. Yes.” Kitty frowned, determination on her pretty face.

“Good girl.” Storm turned to Nightcrawler. “Take her up there. Be there when she comes out. Do not leave her.”

“I would never.” Kurt said with genuine feeling.

“Good. Go guys!”

“Two down, two to go.” Storm muttered as the Sentinel Kitty phased through went down. “Clear out!” Storm commanded. “Get them out of here, Marvel Girl!”

“We can’t leave her!” Iceman said as Colossus rushed him towards the jet.

“Relax, kid, I think Storm can handle herself just fine.” Wolverine said noticing the sky darkening overhead. Rain began to pour from the sky. “Move, Jeannie!”

The plane roared, screaming into the sky. Ororo held her hands up to the heavens. KrakkaBOOM! Bolt after bolt streaked from the sky, crashing through the remaining two sentinels, one’s head coming clean off.

From the ground, several miles away

“General?”

“That was him. Follow them. Bring him in.”

“Storm!” Kitty exclaimed as Ororo came into view beside the plane. “She’s flying!”

“Ridin’.”

Jean turned her head. “What was that, Wolverine?”

“Nothin’. How about you open the doors.” He suggested.

With a flick the side panel of the Black Bird opened up, allowing Storm inside.

“Holy crap!” Bobby shouted. “We just took on four Sentinels and won! Holy Crap!”

Relieved laughter filled the cabin. “Some first mission. Ya done good,” Wolverine said with a wink.

Jean snorted. “So in a fight you can make it rain. Wow.” Her voice dripped sarcasm. “I’m impressed.”

Kitty looked at Bobby and Nightcrawler, waiting for Storm to turn away, crushed like everyone else that Jean attacked did.

“I have a small list of people I try to impress, pom-pom. And surprise, surprise, you aren’t on it.”

Wolverine laughed throatily. He really liked having her around.





You must login () to review.