“Wolverine, calm down.”
Logan snapped his head around, glaring at Jean. “Calm down?” He asked incredulous. “I just found my fucking wife passed out on the floor, and you want me ta calm down?”
Jean sighed, looking at her watch. Ororo had been in with Hank an awful long time, she thought, but refrained from saying anything, not wanting to rile Logan up any more than he was.
Logan growled, his claws extending and retracting reflexively in his frustration. “What’s takin’ so long?” he snarled.
The double doors of the med lab slid open and Beast stepped out, wearing his white lab coat. He gave Logan a very serious look and Logan’s heart sank.
“What’s wrong with her?”
“I think she should be the one you hear it from,” Hank said.
Without another word Logan stormed passed the blue furry man, missing the grin he shot Jean. “’Ro?” He approached her slowly. She had her back to him, her head bent forward, and for a moment he was held motionless by fear. “’Ro?”
Ororo turned, her eyes damp with unshed tears. Fuck. Oh, fuck, no. Wolverine nearly fell to his knees. It was bad, whatever it was, it was bad.
“Logan,” she began, voice trembling.
“I’m here, darlin’.” He pulled her close, holding her tight. “Tell me.”
Ororo kissed his neck softly, whispering low, but knowing he could hear her. “How do you feel about being a father?”
Logan jerked back, his steel eyes searching her blue ones. “Father?”
Ororo nodded, a huge smile spreading across her face. Logan placed a hand to his heart. A father? He was gonna be a father!
“Whoohoo!!!”
“He took that well,” Hank said dryly to Jean, watching through the window as Logan spun Ororo around in a circle, kissing her passionately. It soon became clear Logan had no intention of stopping with a mere kiss and Jean and Hank quickly made themselves scarce.
“When? How?” Logan asked dazedly, running his fingers along her bare shoulder as she lay across his chest.
Ororo leaned up, raising one eyebrow and he realized how utterly ridiculous both of those questions were. “I believe we just participated in the how,” she drawled.
“Witch.” He kissed her.
“Hank and I suspect that I am roughly eight weeks, give or take.”
“A baby.” Logan stroked her bare stomach in awe.
“Our baby,” she sighed, laying her head back on his chest, content in the protective circle of his arms.


Logan bought baby book after baby book. Reading and reviewing material over and over, until Ororo was certain that he could probably birth the child himself. Everyone was inordinately pleased with their news, especially Jean who thought it was wonderful that baby Nathan would have a playmate. Gambit became a bit overprotective, hovering about almost as bad as Wolverine, but Ororo bore their nagging in good humor.
She and Logan moved from the loft into a newly built house on the opposite side of the lake, complete with skylight, that Gambit took full advantage of despite repeated warnings from Logan.
The months passed quickly and Ororo swelled with child, then as it turned out, children. Twins.
“Nervous?” Logan asked one night as their due date approached.
“A bit,” Ororo confessed against his chest.
He ran his hands along her spine soothingly, flexing his fingers, adding pressure here and there, soothing her tired muscles. Big as a house she was, but Logan had never seen a more radiant woman than Ororo. Her skin glowed with an inner light and her eyes fairly danced with happiness every day.
“Don’t be darlin’. Ye’ll do fine.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”


Ten days later

Ororo grit her teeth, another spasm wracking her body. Blood gushed from between her thighs and she tried not to cry out. Thunder boomed and lightening split the sky. The storm that raged outside was fierce and dangerous, but not nearly Logan’s biggest concern.
“Jesus!” Wolverine was panicked. He had woken to the smell of blood. Far, far too much blood. He had rolled to see his beloved wife curled in the fetal position, unconscious, her lower half soaked scarlet. It had taken him three tries to wake her. He had buzzed Hank’s office and room around the same time, several minutes ago, but he had yet to arrive.
“Logan.” Ororo panted.
“Here, baby. I’m here.”
She stared at him with tortured eyes. “Save them.”
Logan gripped her hand tightly. Ororo demanded again, “Save them, Logan. No matter what.”
Logan shook his head. He couldn’t. If it meant her life or theirs, as much as it would kill him, he could not lose her.
“Damn you, Wolverine,” she growled. “You will save our babies!”
“Shush, love,” he said, wiping her brow. “Hank’ll be here any minute and you can scream at him, okay?”
Another spasm claimed her, robbing her of breath and momentarily blinding her to anything but the white hot flashes of pain.
“Hold on, baby.” The phone rang.
“Logan?” Jean, frantic and worried.
“Yeah.”
“ I can feel Ororo. God, Logan, what happened? The babies?” she asked.
“Yeah. Where the fuck is Hank?”
“Jesus, Logan. Hank’s gone, he went to Maryland with Cecilia last night for a medical seminar.”
“What?!” Logan was practically feral now, his fear escalating.
“Okay, talk to me. What’s happening?”
Thunder boomed, and static filled the line. “Jean!”
“H..re, Lo..n. Can you..me?”
“Jeannie?”
*I’m here. Tell me what’s happening.*
Logan hung up the phone. *This.* He stood in front of Ororo and sent jean the images he was seeing.
*Ok. You need to calm down, Logan. As much as you can, you’re clouding the channel.*
*Help her, Jean.*
Jean felt his desperation and her heart went out to him. God, he loved Ororo, she could feel it all the way to her bones.
“L-logan?” Ororo was getting weaker, struggling to hold on.
“Hey, baby.” He held her hand.
“It doesn’t hurt anymore,” she whispered.
Logan felt his gut clench. He moved to her legs, lifting the hem of her nightdress. “Oh, God.” She was hemorrhaging, the blood soaking through the bed, dripping onto the floor. “Baby, stay with me…Don’t leave me, ‘Ro. God, please.”
“I love you.” She said softly, her cold fingers touching his jaw. “Save them.”
“’Ro.” His voice was raw.
*Wolverine.* Jean was crying in his mind.
*Jean.*
*I need you to feel inside her, see if you can feel the babies.*
Logan rose, making his way to their sink, washing his hands, then returning to Ororo. Her eyes were glassy now, staring past him. “No!” He growled baring his fangs at her. “You don’t run, Ororo!! You fight! You fight! So fight, damn you!”
*Logan, the babies.*
Turning away from Ororo’s pale face Logan inserted two fingers, pushing against what felt like a body. *Ya getting this Jean?*
*Yes.* A long pause. *They’re stuck, Logan, and they are dying.*
His heart shuddered.
“Cut them out,” Ororo whispered. Logan realized that Jean was projecting to her as well.
He shook his head. “We don’t have any medical equipment here, darlin.’”
Ororo shifted and more blood poured from her, covering his arm. “You…cut them…out.” She gestured to his hands and Logan felt his blood turn to ice.
“No.”
*Logan. It’s the only way to save them.*
*What about her, Jean? What about my ‘Ro?*
Silence.
*Fuck you!!*
“Husband. Love. My heart.” Ororo was whispering to him. “I beg of you, save them. If you hold any love for me at all save them.”
Her body jerked in spasm and she bit her lips so hard she drew blood. “Please.”
“I will not lose you,” he swore.
Ororo dug deep, pulling on her reserves, and shoved herself into a sitting position, grabbing the letter opener from the nightstand. She pressed it to her throat. “I will leave you no choice,” she warned, her voice hoarse.
“Fuck you, ‘Ro.” Logan growled, trembling. “Fuck you.”
“Please…”
Logan hung his head. *Jean.*
*I am here.*
*Help me.*
Jean walked Logan through sterilization of his claws, not having time to boil water, instead rubbing alcohol on them. He retracted all but one, pressing it to the soft flesh of Ororo’s stomach, hesitating.
*I’ll try to dull the pain.* Jean said.
*Can you?* Connected as they were Logan felt her doubt and he cursed.
*Ready?*
*No.* He said sincerely.
“Do it,” Ororo hissed as another spasm stole her breath.
Wolverine grit his teeth, his face crumpling in pain and sorrow as he sliced open his much-loved wife. Ororo screamed despite her best efforts not to and Logan roared with her, his pain excruciating as well.
*There.* Jean guided him in the extraction of the first baby. A little girl with a tuft of white hair. Logan lowered the squirming bundle onto the bed beside Ororo, who was sobbing openly now, staring at her daughter.
“Hello, Kendall,” she said on a whisper.
*The other is trapped. The cord is around its neck.*
Logan returned to work, extracting the other baby, carefully untangling the cord from around his neck. He turned to Ororo to show her their son but she was no longer aware, her eyes closed, breathing faint. “No. Ahh, God, no. I can’t…I can’t…” Logan pressed his forehead to hers. “Baby, ya can’t leave me alone, please…please…” He sobbed, clutching her head to his chest, broken hiccups wracking his frame. “’Ro. Stay with me…I’m begging…I love you…”
*Logan…I’m so sorry…* Jean was in his head, her voice distorted with pain.
Logan howled, a painful, mournful sound that split the night and traveled all the way to the mansion, where several people felt the urge to cross themselves.
A vociferous wail split the air along with his father’s howl, and their son cradled in his arms thrashed. Logan glanced down at the little body with a mixture of resentment and joy. The infant opened his black eyes and Logan felt a stirring in his heart. His son.
The baby cried again, and suddenly Ororo’s body jerked, convulsed, her mouth opening on a raw scream that tore at her throat and Logan’s already wounded heart. The baby wailed and moaned and Ororo’s stomach began to heal. Watching in absolute fascination Logan realized that their son was still connected to her, via the umbilical and was somehow healing her, his powers helping his mother heal.
“That’s my boy,” he said. “C’mon, Mommy’s almost better, come on, little guy.”
As Ororo’s body healed, she screamed and screamed, the pain near unbearable. Would it never stop? Then all went black.

Voices. Several of them. Ororo blinked her eyes. “My babies?” She cried, sitting up. She was still in her bed, but the bedding was clean and she was changed into a fresh nightgown.
Logan stepped forward, away from Jean and Gambit, cradling two bundles in his arms. “Hey Mommy,” he said, voice broken and tender.
Two sets of eyes blinked down at her, one pair as brilliant blue as her own, and the other set, deep and dark like his father’s.
“How?” Ororo asked, her eyes luminous. She stroked Kendall’s soft cheek. Kissing both babies atop their soft heads.
“Our boy.” Logan sat beside her, laying the babies in her arms. “The best Jeannie and Hank can figure is that li’l Jack has a touch of my healing factor, only maybe able ta share it. It’s hard ta say until it develops when he’s older.”
“I think he was able to manifest it because he was still attached to you,” Hank said, coming alongside the bed, he was carrying a glass of water for her. “Your mutant genes already active, allowed his recessive genes momentary activity.”
Ororo smiled down at her son. “Thank you, Jacky.”
“Jacky?” Logan grimaced.
“One of you is bad enough,” Ororo said with a smile. “Jacky is a fine little boy’s name. He can become a carbon copy Logan jr. when he is older. Much older.”
“Actually, chere, his name is Jack Remy Howlett.” Gambit said, strolling over to her, bending and kissing her softly on the lips. “Glad t’ still ‘ave you back, padnat.”
Ororo kissed him back, ignoring her husbands playful growl. “Good to be back.”
She glanced at Logan, mouthing :Remy?
He shrugged. “It was the only way ta get Gumbo ta go back ta his own house.”
Ororo laughed, the sound delighting Logan. He kissed her softly, lingering over her full bottom lip. “I love you, Logan.”
“Same.” He pressed another kiss to her lips, before grumbling. “Okay, okay, everybody out! Me and the missus need ta spend some time alone!! Bye now!” he slammed the door. Leaning against it he scowled at her, looking around the room at all the gift baskets and get well cards and congratulatory mementos.
“It will only get worse,” she assured him. “Birthday parties, Christmas, sleep overs,” she glanced at Kendall, “Dating.”
Logan growled his best Wolverine growl and shook his head. “Uhn-uh, not my daughter. I’ll be laying down the law.”
“Right. We shall see.” Ororo smiled up at him with tender adoration.


Five years later

“Please, Daddy? Pretty please?” Long eyelashes batted against caramel skin and big blue orbs gazed up at him.
“All right, sweet pea.” Logan bent, picking his daughter up and tossing her into the air, catching her and swinging her back up again.
Ororo stepped onto their porch watching the play of activity with a soft smile. “I thought you said they were to be in bed, darling?” she called.
Logan glanced guiltily over his shoulder. “On our way. Where’s Jacky?”
“Already tucked in, like a good little boy.”
Logan made his way towards her, tossing Kendall as he walked. “Oh.”
“Come on, mister law layer, as soon as they are to bed we can go look at the stars by the lake.” Ororo gave him a sultry smile and Logan’s blood thickened.
“Ok, kiddo, off ta bed.” Logan nudged Kendall through the screen door, his eyes on Ororo.
“Are you guys gonna be all kissy again?” Kendall asked, tilting her head. Crowned with a head of hair that rivaled her father’s for disarray but was the same pure snow color of her mother’s Kendall was a nice blend of both parents, although she did get her looks from her mother.
“Yeah, we are.” Logan warned, making big pucker lips at Ororo, making loud smacking sounds for Kendall’s benefit. The little girl squealed and laughed, racing for her room.
“Jacky! Jacky! Mommy and Daddy are gonna be all kissy.”
“Ewww.” Logan jerked his head up to see his five year old son sitting directly above them in the tree beside their porch.
“In bed, huh? Good little boy, huh?” He raised one black eyebrow at Ororo.
Ororo laughed. “I can not help it if he is his father’s son, through and through.”
“Sure, blame me.” Logan swung up into the tree, and young Jacky yelped, laughingly climbing his way farther up the branches.
“Easy, Jacky, you are awfully high.” Ororo warned.
“Aww, Mom, ya worry too much.” SNAP. “Ahh!” Jacky tumbled, but was immediately buoyed by his mother’s gentle winds.
“Thanks, Mommy.”
Ororo settled him on the porch in front of her. “Off to bed, young man, or no zoo tomorrow.”
“Goodnight!” Jacky ran to the room he shared with his sister.
Logan dropped from the tree, swinging Ororo up in his arms. “The lake?”
“Mmmhm.” Ororo kissed him, running her tongue along the seam of his mouth. “I say we try for number three,” she whispered huskily.
Logan grunted in agreement as his mouth moved over hers, lost in each other as they always were. Overhead a shower of shooting stars rained across the sky and from their room the children watched their parents make there way towards the lake in the distance, Logan carrying Ororo the whole way.
“Daddy sure loves Mommy,” Jacky said.
“You bet he does. He said Mommy was a Goddess,” Kendall said with worldly knowledge.
“Wow.”
“Uncle Remy?” Kendall called down to the kitchen, knowing he was there.
“Oui, chere.”
“Come tell us the story of how you met Mommy again.”
“Wit’ pleasure, ma petite padnat. Wit’ pleasure.”

Lake

“I love you, Mrs. Howlett.”
“I love you Mr. Howlett.”
“Wanna start on baby number three now?”
“I thought you’d never ask.”
Warm laughter and tender touches fill the night air and when the thunder boomed and the lightening flashed, no one jumped, knowing that more than likely they were expressions of love between an earthly diety and her feral beast.





You must login () to review.