The sun was bright when he opened his eyes, telling him that he had slept far later than he had wanted to. He was amazed that he had slept at all, Ororo’s words ringing in his ears, “As long as you are married…we can not be together.” He groaned, rolling and wiping one hand down his face, breathing deep. Fuck.
“Wolvie! Wolvie!” Shadowcat’s head poked into his door. She was the only member of the household that had talked to him after he brought Viper to the Institute and he had grown even more fond of her for it. “Wake up! What are you doing still asleep when Storm is home! Get up! Why aren’t you with her…oh.”
“Yeah.”
“Oh, Wolverine. I am so sorry. How did she find out?” She phased through the door, walking over to him and sitting beside him on the bed.
“She went to my room. Viper was there.”
“Oh. You weren’t…?” Kitty made a disgusted face, sticking her tongue out.
Wolverine growled. “No. Viper and I don’t have that kind of marriage.”
“Thank God! Just the thought of that she-devil,” Kitty shuddered for effect.
“I don’t wanna hear it, Kitty.”
“Yeah, yeah. Okay grumpy buns, but I’m going to find Storm. Later.”
Wolverine threw himself back on his bed. “Fuck.” he said aloud.


“Morning, chere.” Gambit blinked down at her. He rubbed his hand up and down her back soothingly. Ororo had slept with him, (if you could call her waking up every ten minutes sleeping) in the new boathouse, not wanting to go back to her loft. Too many memories, he assumed.
Ororo smiled at him, having been awake for awhile, not wanting to move in case she shattered the dream. She was no longer in hell. Well, she was but a completely different type altogether. She wasn’t sure which was worse. “Good morning, Remy.”
“How are you feeling?”
“Well enough.”
“Hmm.” He ruffled her shoulder length shredded hair.
“Not a word.” She warned before he said anything.
“I kinda like it,” he murmured. It suited her, he thought. Pure white snow with jagged edges. “You would be beautiful bald, ‘Roro.”
Ororo kissed him quickly on the mouth. “Charmer.” She walked to the bathroom, yawning as she went. Gambit had lent her one of his t-shirts to wear to bed, and though it covered her torso and upper thighs , as she walked away he could see several long cuts along the backs of her legs. “Mon Dieu.”
“Did you say something, Remy?” Ororo peered over her shoulder.
“I love you, padnat,” he said dead serious.
“I love you too, Remy.” She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes.
I’m gonna kill him, thought Remy. Wolverine’s a dead man.
“I must admit, I am anxious to see Charles. I wonder why he has not come to see me.” Ororo’s voice came from the other room, water running as she washed her face.
“No one told you?” Gambit asked, swinging his feet to the floor.
“Told me what?”
“Merde. Da Professor, he moved to England with Psylock and Warren. Dey not with us at da mansion no more, but are part of Excalibur.”
Ororo paused in patting her face dry. “What?”
“Oui. Sorry, chere. I’m sure Jean, she called ‘im first t’ing.”
Ororo nodded mutely, trying not to be disheartened by her mentor’s absence. “I assume Jean and Scott have control of the school?”
“Uh, you’re almost right, chere.”
“Almost?”
“Scott and Emma Frost have control of da school.”
Ororo threw the blue washcloth into the sink with a snort. “Emma frost. The White Queen?”
“Dat’s da one.”
“Perfect.” Ororo slid her eyes shut. Everything had changed. Where was her life? “You know, Gambit. I actually wished that I had fallen into a different dimension, that I had gotten it wrong. That this, this could not be right.”
“Ahh, padnat…” Remy wrapped his arms around her. “Some t’ings have changed, but some be da same.”
“You and Rogue?”
Gambit shook his head. At Ororo’s gasp he smiled. “Not’ing so bad as dat, chere. Rogue and Remy just need some time t’ find our way. We will.”
“I hope so.” Ororo sank to the edge of the tub. “I feel lost,” she said softly.
“I know, Stormy. You and da Wolverine need t’ find yer way too.”
She laughed without humor. “If only.”
“Gambit don’ always like da man, but Wolverine loves you, chere.”
“Loves me so much he married Viper.”
Gambit grimaced. “We thought you were dead, padnat.”
“So sorry to disappoint.”
Gambit jostled her shoulder. “What’s dis, Stormy? Feelin’ sorry for yourself? Where’s my fighter, henh? Where’s da girl who fights against all odds t’ get what she wants?”
“She died.” Her voice was flat and hopeless.
Gambit hated seeing her like this. He stood quickly, pulling her to her feet, whirling her in a circle then dropping her into an exaggerated dip. “Remy?” she laughed.
“Der you are.” His devil eyes met her shining blue ones. For a brief moment she was his Stormy again, eyes sparkling up at him, mouth curved faintly. It didn’t last long, as whatever nightmare she had faced and Wolverine’s perceived betrayal reared their ugly heads in her mind, but for a moment she was back, and Gambit would hold onto that moment with both hands.



Danger Room
Turret

“Where is she, Jeannie?” Wolverine demanded walking into the control turret.
Jean gave him a distracted glance, “What?”
“Ororo. Where is she?”
“She be down dere, Home.” Gambit strolled in behind him, carrying two cups of coffee. “’Ere, Jean.”
“Thanks, Remy.”
“She still goin‘, non?’
“Yeah.”
Wolverine frowned, getting the marked impression that they were ignoring him. He also noticed that the turret was unusually crowded. Iceman, Cyclops, Emma, Jean, Remy and Shadowcat all hovering around, staring out the observation window.
“What’s going on?” he demanded.
“Storm’s gone all Matrix,” Bobby said, barely glancing away from the window.
Wolverine pushed his way to the window, looking down into the danger room. There was Storm, dressed in a black leather uniform, her hair blowing in her self-sustained hurricane. “What’s she fighting?” he asked, not seeing any robots below him.
“Not what, who.” Shadowcat said softly.
“Viper?” Wolverine asked, heart pounding. Viper was an assassin and a dirty fighter, the idea of Storm going against her did not sit well with him.
“I wish,” Kitty muttered. “No Storm’s taking on a much larger challenge.”
“You.” Jean added when Wolverine still looked confused.
Turning back around Wolverine noticed the scenery as one of his training programs.
Behind Storm the DR Wolverine appeared, lunging for her. They slammed into the wall together. She kicked herself free and took evasive action, one palm face down, balancing herself on a table of wind as she ran along the wall.
“That’s new.” Emma murmured.
Reaching the end of her sprint Storm used the wind to push herself off the wall, leaping high, landing behind the Wolverine double. She reached up, snapping his neck with a vicious twist.
“Jesus.” Bobby said, his hand on his throat.
“Ahh, ‘ere we go. Now we see ‘ow good she really is,” Gambit said as the Wolverine double got back up.
“What in the hell is this Jean? She doesn’t need to be doing this!” Wolverine growled.
“I couldn’t agree more, Logan. However, it appears our new Headmaster and Emma need proof that Storm is qualified to be an X-Man.”
Wolverine snarled at Scott. “You arrogant dick.”
“Hey, there’s no need of that, darling,” Emma cooed in false sincerity. “We wouldn’t want to send the poor dear out into the field unprepared.”
“It would be really great if you shut your mouth, Miss Frost,” Kitty said.
“Kitty.” Scott warned.
Down below Storm was holding her own against the Danger Room Wolverine. He swung his claws, whizzing them by her head. Storm leapt into the air, and using the wind she slowed her descent to a slow motion feel, kicking DR Wolverine in the face, sending it across the floor.
“See, totally Matrix.” Bobby said in hushed awe. He had never seen Storm like this, so aggressive.
Storm walked over to the fallen DR Wolverine.
Logan leaned forward, his head pressing against the cool glass of the window.
Storm pulled two curved blades from the sheaths on her thighs. The Wolverine figure shook itself, rising again. Storm wasted no time, flipping over its shoulder, impaling it in the soft tissue between the neck and shoulders. No mercy. Mercy was death.
“Impressive.” Said Emma.
“Damn.” Said Scott.
Kitty sat forward. “Wolverine,” she said softly.
Logan stood frozen, watching the DR version of himself fry as Storm unleashed a few hundred million volts of electricity into the it. It fell from her hands in a smoldering heap, and she raised her eyes to the turret, locking onto him even though the glass should have been mirrored. She smiled.
“A little therapy, non?” Gambit muttered.





You must login () to review.