Infiltration


I’m gonna continue to write in this thing, even if it kills me, ‘cause I want my kids to know always how much me and ‘Ro care & love ‘em. There’s never a day that goes by when me or Ororo aren’t thinking of our family.

Anyway on with the kid stories. I left off with the adventures of Duckie. Well, they never end. Ro and I didn’t go on a mission together often. Occasionally we would but we never made a habit out of it. This time I went on a mission with Red, Gumbo, Ice Cube & the Firecracker. I let Jubes co-pilot, she actually learned something at that school. Nah, I guess we’re all just finally noticing how much she ain’t a little girl anymore. Since I was pilot, I was focused on that.

You wanna talk about security risk, kidlet snuck aboard. I thought that kid may finally be the death of me. No one really noticed her right away. Bobby was cracking jokes as usual and Red swatted him upside the head. Things were going as usual, until the smallest voice was heard.

“Dadu, I have to go to the potty.”

“”K, Duckie, just give daddy a… WHAT THE FUCK?!?” She was sitting in the last row, strapped in and staring out the window. Her little hands were in her lap as if she was meant to be there.

“HOLY SHIT!” that came from Jubes.

“Sweetie how did you get here?” Jean asked.

“I wanted to say bye-bye but the doors closed behind me, so I sat down and stayed quiet. Why?”

Jean unbuckled her and took her to the lavatory in the back of the jet. The whole time I was thinkin’ how the hell she got past ‘Ro and why the hell didn’t I notice? I couldn’t smell the kid ‘cause I am covered in her and ‘Ro. Because she has a distinct smell, I barely notice, except for when I wanna. This shit makin’ me soft! I’m losin’ my edge!

We made our destination and we had no idea as to what to do with her. This wasn’t a seriously dangerous mission, but we couldn’t exactly take the kid with us. I mean, it was us versus the FOH goon squad. They are seriously stupid, but stupid is dangerous. We couldn’t leave the kid on the plane alone, not my child! Only option we had was to take her with us.

“No way, mon amie! We can’ take le petite chat, Stormy’ll kill us all. Gambit’ll stay behind an’ watch petite.” He then squatted to her level, “You like that non, petite?”

“No.” she then clung to her Uncle Bobby. Frankly I think the kid had a few issues, but she knows whom she likes.

“NO, we need everyone. She comes, she just sticks t’ me. If ‘Ro’ll kill anyone, I have a better chance at survival then the rest of you.”

As we started to exit the blackbird, the sky started to rumble and was lit by lightning.

“Shit, ‘Ro’s pissed. I know she is!”

“It’s your ass, homme!” Simone giggled and mentally took count of the naughty words being thrown around.

“Jeanie, can ya…”

“I’m on it Logan.”

Jean contacted Ororo to tell her about the current situation and that her first born child was not in immediate danger… yet. The sky began to clear and then it started to rain.

I kept the kid close to me at first. Then we all split. Me, Jean and Bobby went one way, Gumbo and Jubes went the other. The kid followed close behind me and did as I told whenever I said, “Stand off to the side” and then the fighting began. She stayed off to the side like I told her too but she sat on the floor like she was watching a danger room session or a damn movie. She never realized the real danger that she was in. Then again, how many four year olds would, definitely not my child. Kid probably lives by the motto, “I laugh in the in the face of danger.” I wouldn’t be surprised if she started dancing around singin’ Hakuna Matata, she knows all the damn words by heart. I sorta liked having the kid there. I know I sound like a sick puppy but hear me out. The kid was an extra pair of eyes. She kept lookout. She warned us when there was someone behind us or someplace off to where we couldn’t see. I know my senses would have gotten to them sooner or later but she made everything happen faster.

“Daddy, that man has another sharp thingy on his belt.”

“Thanks, Duckie.”

“No problem” and then she went back to humming a song while watching. Sure enough it was Hakuna Matata.

Well, something went wrong and the damn FOH got the best of us and we ended up chained in a cage like freaks on display, but not the kid. They overlooked her. I’m not surprised they did. She’s small for a four year old. I was going ape-shit. If they touch my kid I was gonna kill them without a thought. I was gonna give them a real reason to hate mutants.

Just then, I saw a little face peek out from around the corner smiling and waving like she did the day she thought I killed Ice Cube. She then checked to see if the coast was clear. We watched her and didn’t say anything. We figured this was how she got around in the mansion without any of us knowing. She watched the guards and then just walked right up to the cage and squeezed herself through the bars of the cage.

“Hi Daddy”

“Shh, give Uncle Remy your hair clip.” I was really counting on the FOH’s natural stupidity, thankfully I was right.

“But mommy gave it to me.”

“I know, petite. Uncle Gambit’ll give back, he promise.”

“Okay.” She sounded just a little disappointed.

Gambit jimmied the lock to his chains open and then did the rest of us. Frost boy froze the bars, Firecracker blinded those stupid asses and I took the lead fighting our way out after we did what we had to do. Gumbo carried Duckie like a football, but she enjoyed it and didn’t know any better. Jean protected us for the most part with a TK bubble.

We made it to the Blackbird ten minutes top. I took kidlet from Gumbo and strapped her in.

“Can we do that again, Dadu?”

“Maybe some other time. A long time from now.” I’d love to fight by my kid’s side one day. She has good instincts and she gets in and out of places like a pro. We all got out with minimum injuries. Luckily the kid was unharmed. Ro would skin me alive with my own claws if the kid was harmed with the slightest scratch.

Jean took my place as pilot so I could be near the kid. Five minutes after takeoff she was out cold.

“Too much excitement for SAL, eh Wolf-man?”

“Yeah, I guess so Ice Cube”

We made it back to the mansion and ‘Ro was standing there as royally pissed as a three month pregnant woman can be. Two and a half months ago, we discovered she was pregnant again. Oh joy. 3 months down and 6 more t’ go. God help me.

Everyone exited the jet first, I was the last t’ get off with the kid clinging t’ me like a Koala. ‘Ro just looked at me. Her eyes were squinted and arms folded over her almost there stomach. The other X-men tried to speak t’ her but their words were fallin’ on deaf ears. Her eyes and expression spoke volumes. She took the kid from me and carried her up to her room. I stood in the doorway as Ro was puttin’ the kid in her PJ’s.

“Hi, Lady.” She said half asleep and eyes barely open.

“Hello, Sweetie”

“I had fun with daddy and everyone. I got t’ be the lookout… I crawled in the cage… I watched daddy kick some bad guy ass. Night, Lady” With that she was out like a light again. I couldn’t help but laugh at the last part. Where do kids get that stuff from?

“Sweet dreams, my child.” She kissed her forehead, but unfortunately she heard me laughing.

“YOU, up stairs NOW!” she said through clenched teeth.

“Oh Shit!”

“I heard that.”

I wasn’t aware I spoke those words allowed. She chewed me a new one that night. I knew better than to argue with a pregnant woman. I learned my lesson from the first time.

***

Duckie officially started kindergarten that September. That was also the month her little brother was born. It was obvious he was gonna have the same creamy color skin as his sister except he was born with a slight skin condition. My boy looked like a little Pup. He had a mocha patch around his left eye. It was only in that place. So I had my Duckie and Pup. We officially named him Nathaniel Alexander Logan. We could have named him James Nathaniel Logan, he would’ve been a junior. That’s right! I’ve known my name for a while now, but it just wasn’t that important anymore. I went by one name for so long who really gives a shit?

Pup was definitely not like Duckie. He was a quiet baby, no trouble… until later. He slept through the night for the most part. He definitely liked his mama. He would light up at the sight of her. I figured it was because he was hungry. Hey, I would light up too if I was being breastfed by, ‘Ro. By the way, I can’t wait ‘till the little man is passed that stage, ‘cause they’re mine, just out on temporary loan.

‘Ro love babies. She’d sit in that rocking chair I made for her around the time Duckie was born and sing to the baby. For obvious reason ‘Ro and I couldn’t show as much attention towards Duckie, but we still tried. I helped her with her homework and stuff, but I couldn’t show her the same attention she had before. Not yet at least. Lookin’ back, I’m sure kidlet didn’t understand why. She became quiet and out of the limelight. But that would change too.

One day Duckie home from school and she didn’t feel so well. I was in the garage, a place she wasn’t allowed, as if that’d stop her. ‘Ro was in the garden, so she went there instead.

“Mommy, I don’t feel well.” She finally got out of that Dadu and Lady shit!

‘Ro dropped her shears wiped her hands as clean as possible and tested her forehead. There was slight warmth.

“You do look tired. Come on. We will drop your brother off with daddy and then you will get into bed and I will bring you some soup.”

“Okay.”

She did just that. She stayed with the kid even after she fell asleep. I was trying t’ put little man t’ sleep but he wanted to stay up. So I thought I’d check on ‘Ro and kidlet.

“How is she?”

“Okay, she is just really tired. She barely ate the soup.” Then she cocked her head to the side as she moved errand strands from Duckie’s face. “Look at how big she is. I do not think I have noticed until now. I have not spent much time with her lately, not since Nathaniel was born.

“Maybe Hank should take a look at her. She said she was all itchy, so I gave her a bath.”

“Itchy? ‘Ro, these bumps she has on her arm, does she have ‘em all over?”

“Yes, why?”

“Haaaaaaaaaaaaank?”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Why on earth do we need to be quarantined?”

“I’m sorry, my dears, but Chicken Pox is very contagious”





You must login () to review.