Age 24-26


It seems that when writing ones life down, it is hard to include all that has happened and so to explain the next part I have to elaborate on one of the previous parts written.


I suppose I should have mentioned the time I spent with The Shadow King. In Cairo, Achmed was a well respected man but even he had to answer to someone. That someone was Amahl Farouk, The Shadow King. I suppose he was behind all organized crime in Egypt or North Africa for that matter. He was a mutant who fed off of the hate, rage and sometimes fear of others. We, the street urchins stole for Achmed and Achmed had to pay a percentage to Farouk, a large percentage. Once, there had been a slow season for us and Achmed come up short when the Shadow King sought payment and therefore he had to punish Achmed. As a punishment, Farouk took Achmed’s top pupils, his children. That meant Amir, Kamal, Kamilah, Shariff, Fatima, and I would be in the service of The Shadow King for a year. He did not want to let us go but he had no choice. We thought we understood what the terms of service but we were mistaken. We thought it just meant that we would just steal for a year. We were mistaken.


For a year we were taught to go after big game, jewels from the museum, money from banks. I did not like it. I much preferred the unsuspecting tourists. They were easier. I also liked the guys who hurt others. They deserved to be robbed blind. I know that two wrongs do not make it right but I was not one for absolute logic at that point in my life. A few times while on a job, we witnessed his men kill in order get what they wanted. We were not accustomed to killing and neither of us really cared for, but every now and then Shariff, Amir, or Kamar went with these men. We would later learn that they were being trained to kill, ‘just in case’. Then, every so often Kamilah, who was the oldest of us girls, would disappear for a night. She would return the next day and sleep for hours. What could make her so tired? I often wondered, but one day she sat Fatima and I down and told us some things.


“Sooner or later, probably sooner the longer we are here, you will not be seen as little girls anymore. Things will be asked of you, things that you may have never thought of doing. Do what you feel in your heart is right.” She looked so sad as she spoke. She took our chins in her hands and was as gentle as I remembered my mother being. It was becoming harder to remember my mother, but times like these bought it all back. Her face was now tear-stained. I had never seen her cry until then. My heart was breaking and I had no clue as to why.


Achmed was allowed to visit occasionally. One night I could not sleep, but it was not the heat that made sleep impossible, it was pure restlessness. I overheard a conversation between Achmed and Kamilah. She was upset and he tried to comfort her, but he barely made a dent in her emotion and she would not allow him to touch her. I could only make out a few words and phrases like, “I only do it to keep Fatima and Ororo safe.” I had no clue as to what was meant by that until I dwelled on those words years later. At that moment I began more observant of the things that went on around us, like the conversations and reactions. I watched the men watch us and I was disgusted.


One day, The Shadow King called for me. I looked in Kamilah’s eyes and they were holding her breath, she raised her chin along with mine and told me to go. He circled me like a rabid dog looking to infect another. Occasionally her touched my hair and asked me if those were my real eyes. Goddess, I was so sick of that question. If I could pluck them out to prove they were real I would wear them around my neck for all the world to touch and check their validity. It would seem that looking at my face was not enough. Family genetics made it possible. How often do I have to scream that mentally and say it calmly?


“Do not touch me!”


“You dare to give me an order, child?”


“Yes and I said do not touch me.”


He laughed at my seriousness. “You have too much personality for one so small. I would never dream of hurting you. You are the best of Achmed’s pupil. He even loves you as a daughter. I could see why, you are too beautiful not to be protected at all times. You are his little princess.”


“I am not above anyone else in our home. He treats me like he does every other.”


“Then child, you are ignorant and blind.”



I did not like working for him, but I was good at what I did and he noticed me more and more. After that year of servitude, Achmed never let us out of his sight and he made sure to make quota every month. It seemed his heart was torn out with out having us around.


I suppose that brings us to where I left off last time, being reverted to twelve year old. It seems that The Shadow king certainly did not forget about the outspoken little street rat that I was and he devised a plan to get me into his services again. He used an accomplice to get the job done, Nanny. Her job was to recreate the child that I was, literally and then to capture me so that I would wake up in the services of Amahl Farouk or whatever new hateful human vessel served as his host. The job was half done.


On a day that I ventured out of the mansion and into Salem center. As to remain inconspicuous, I drove Scott’s car. To be correct I drove Scott’s car into a tree. There was something in the road and as not to hit it, I swerved off of the road into a tree. The airbag deployed almost immediately causing me complete confusion and disorientation. Moments of darkness gave way to clarity but I was no longer in the car at the crash site. I was at a facility.


“My master wants you, young lady.” I knew not to panic but I was beyond angry and feeling violated.


“Who would this master be, that thinks he could have me?”


“The King of Shadows, is his name. And from the look on your face my dear, you remember him clearly.”


Unless the look on my face registered anything but disgust, yes I remembered him clearly and none of the memories fond. Minutes were flying rampantly and I was tethered to an apparatus that for the life of me I could not figure out why, but attentions were made clear agonizingly long moments later.


“He wants you as he remembered you, a young girl, who had yet to reach FULL potential.” I did not like the way she said full. Something had to be done and my powers were useless with being tied up so I saw my only option as telepathic intervention. I tried to contact the professor and silently hoped that maybe Jean had heard my call, but it was it was caught short. I am almost certain that they felt my agony as I was fired upon by blue beam of some sort and then felt nothing.


When I awoke, I had very little memories and the ones I did retain were jumbled. I was in a bedroom fit for a queen. I got up, shaking off sleep and traveled to the nearest bathroom and the reflection in the mirror was one of a child, a pre-teen. I had the body of a twelve year old and the mind of a thief from Cairo, again. I had mixed memories of the X-men, the village in Kenya, Forge, Charles, Jean or Logan. But the room, it seemed all too familiar, as if I had been in it before or one like it. I searched for a way out but when I went to the door it was guarded by a beast-like creature. They looked trapped between the existence of a dog and one of a human. “How tragic” I thought. I did not dare test their ferocity and sought to find another way out and find where I was. The bars on the window were easily mobile and we were not too high up so I would not hurt much if I were to jump. I did just that and I made a clean get away. Somehow it all seemed a little too easy but I kept my wits about me and disappeared quickly.


Still having no clue as to where I was, I knew my stomach did not lie as it growled so I was off to find something to eat. Wherever I was the streets were narrow and the streets were long with building. I was beginning to feel a little claustrophobic, but hunger took those thoughts away. I blended in as much as I could with the look of the people, but a white haired girl barely goes unnoticed. I watched the open food cart that stood across from me and when the moment was right, I went in for the kill so to speak and made a clean getaway. Or so I thought I did.


“Nice work petite, but dat can’ possibly fil your little belly, non?”


“Stay away from me. You work for him, leave me alone.” Trust no one, she thought over and over.


“Remy not work for no one but himself petite.”


“Stay away from me.” Just as she spoke those words the Hounds leapt towards their prey, knocking Remy out of the way.


“Oh no ya don’, leave her alone, Remy was talkin’ to da young fille an’ somet’in tells me petite here don’ wanna talk ta you.”


“Mommy, daddy, mommy, daddy, daddy, daddy…” I could not be strong all the time. Remy heard the low mummer that she emitted from her crouched position against the wall. Her hands were shutting out all sounds as she rocked her body in a to-and-fro motion caused by fear. She barely heard the man try to get her attention.


“Petite, listen to me. You have to get up and go. Can you hear me, chere?”


“Course she can’t hear you LeBeau. Hand her over and we won’t hurt you… much.” The voice was harsh and demonic.


“How da hell do you know my name?”


“Our master knows all about you, Remy LeBeau.”


“And who is dis master”


“The Shadow King”


“Not again, not again, not again…” She started a whole new chant.


He turned around and looked down at the child thief, she looked him straight in the eye and the chanting stopped. He couldn’t simply hand her over.


“Tell your master he can go ta hell.” He pulled a playing card from his inner breast pocket of his jacket and to Ororo’s amazement it glowed bright red. When he threw it, it explode sending the hounds that weren’t recoiling in pain. Remy grabbed Ororo in his arms and proceeded to run. Judging by her size, he expected to be as light as a feather. He was happy his judgment was right for a change. After he was sure that hey were on the clear he put Ororo down.


“Thank you for helping me, but I think I will be okay now.”


“Petite, are you crazy? Those t’ings be after you soon again. What will you do den? Come wit’ Gambit, he know a place where you can go.” She stood there debating.


“Chere, Gambit not gonna hurt you, he promise. What is your name anyway?”


“Ororo.”


“Ororo, eh? Well, dis Cajun be Remy LeBeau or you can call me Gambit.”


“So where is this place Remy?” He smiled at the use of his name.


Remy took me to the place where he dwelled and introduced me to Tante Matte and to his father Jean-Luc LeBeau. They were both warm yet cautious. Knowing Remy the way I do now, I suppose I understand why. He was beyond charming and soon became closer to than a brother. Two weeks went by without incident or sound of the Hounds. I did not doubt that they were out there but I was with Remy and he was all that mattered. We went out on heists together, usually after dinner. Tante Matte was adamant about my eating. She swore I was too thin and that she would fatten me up. That did not happen as she would have hoped but I did get fine meals out of the deal. One night, on one of our late nights, Remy asked me about the shadow king. He refused to press me about anything that happened until now.


“I worked for the Shadow King in Cairo. The capital of Egypt, not the Cairo in Illinois.” He laughed at my comments generally. He usually asked me if I was really twelve years old, because I knew too much for a twelve year old. If we only knew, literally.


“You be a smart one petite, but you are a long way from Cairo. What brings you ta N’Orleans?”


“I do not know how I got here. When I close my eyes at night I see people that I think I should know but I do not. I see a place, a big house, like a mansion and I feel as though I should know it somehow, but I do not. I am so confused. I also get feelings about things and I do not know how to explain it.”


“What kind of feeling?”


“Well, like, I know that tonight I feel the rain. Tonight it will rain.”


That nights mission went smoothly and we returned home I went to bed almost immediately. Remy laid beside me, with his armed thrown around me, my protector and before he fell asleep, he listened to the rain belt the windowpane. Looking down at the girl besides him, “you definitely not what you seem ta be, are ya petite?” he whispered, ending with a kiss placed at my temple.


My days with Remy were numbered because the Shadow King had a plan to get me back. While with Remy my memories returned slowly and so did my powers. It certainly made the jobs we went on easier. It was certainly easier from the homeowner to blame the shortage of their power on lightning than anything else. They never suspected they were burglarized until it was too late. Remy stayed by my side and I his, especially when the Hounds found us again. And then as if like a dream the X-men showed up ready to play hero. They have a habit of just appearing at the right time and sometimes at the wrong, but this was definitely a good time. Remy fought along side of us and he even returned to the X-mansion.


“Stormy? Is dis dat big house you were talkin’ ‘bout?” I laughed while grabbing his arm and guiding him in.


With my body restored, I was once again with Forge, but I did not notice the adjustment me in Remy. Certainly I was his sister still, as he was my brother but he did not look at me as he once did. I was not his little Stormy anymore. In the open I loathe that nickname, but secretly, I would not feel complete if Remy did not refer to me as his Stormy. It meant that I would always have that part of his heart and he would never let anything happen to me that he could have prevented. I loved him. I love him still. He was instantly tattooed to the list of my protectors, whether I liked it or not. He joined the X-men but not only for me I am sure. When he met Rogue, I guess he figured there was another reason worth staying around for. For whatever reason he decided to stay, I am happy that he did because we would come to need each other a lot.





You must login () to review.