“So this is it, your heaven.” Logan said taking a deep breath, as they stood staring out at the beautiful view of the village with it surround jungles. “Where tha Goddess arose.” He spoke as he turned to her smirking, knowing she hated being called that ‘G’ word.

“No, I came here when I was 12, I grew up in the city of Cairo.” She said looking past Logan out into the distance as a vail of anguish washed over her face, something Logan took notice of.

“Ya got family in Cario huh, well we should visit them before we head back home in a couple of weeks.” Logan commented.

“The only family I have is here and at the school.” She said waving her hand about her. I was orphaned when I was five, when my parents died, and I became a street urchin.” Logan stared at her dumbstruck.

“Ya mean you were on yer own from five til twelve?” He asked and she simply nodded her head never looking directly at him. He felt a near overwhelming need to hold her, comfort her and so he pulled her into his embrace. “I’m sorry baby, wish I could have been here to protect ya, how did ya ever survive fer so long.”

“I picked pockets.” She mumbled into his shoulder. “I’m not proud of it but it is what we had to do, and sometimes we must do what we detest in order to live.” She stated and Logan nodding in agreement.

“So were ya any good?” He asked jokingly hoping to lighten the mood.

“Good enough,” She answered as she stepped back and twirled his watch around her finger. He looked from her hand to his wrist and then smiled at her, impressed that she had actually done it without his senses kicking in.

“Not bad.” He said simply as he smirked at her, invoking giggles. “So what else don’t I know about cha?” He asked as they headed back towards the village.

“I am not telling, you shall just have to stick around and find out.”

“I can do that.” Logan agreed as he reached out and grasped her hand as they continued to walk.

“I am glad,” Ororo smiled and then instantly frowned causing a worried look to wash over Logan’s face.

“What?” He questioned as Ororo quickly clamped her hand to her mouth and pulled away from him, rushing to nearby bushes, where she bent over and vomited. Logan stood back a ways watching her, not knowing what to do, after the retching seemed to stop he moved closer. “Are ya ok darlin?”

“Yes,” She answered with her back to him, as she remained crouched near the bushes, making sure her spell was over. “I think I ate too many Samosas.” She said as she finally stood, wiping at her mouth before turning to face Logan again. She forced a smile so he wouldn’t worry and then they continued their trek home.




“Are you sure?”

“No, that is why I am asking you.”

“Well, there is the vomiting, which I did a lot. And you say you have been feeling fatigued lately,” The other girl nodded to this. “Well how is your period?”

“Nonexistent.” She commented as she flopped down on the bed next to her cousin.

“Well that could be a problem, given everything else.” Rena stated. “Ororo sweet cousin, I think that you maybe pregnant.” Ororo groaned to this as she suddenly laid back onto the bed.

“No do not say that, there could be other reasons.”

“Others reasons your period has not come, and you are vomiting and fatigued? Yeah I thought so too and look at me.” Ororo looked over at her cousin who sat perched at the foot of the bed, rubbing her swollen belly, and aganin a deep groan escaped her lips. “So are you going to tell Logan?”

“Tell me what?” A gruff voice spoke from the doorway of the hut Ororo was sharing with her Aunt. Logan had taken up with one of the elder men of the village. Both girls leapt to their feet and stared at him wide-eyed.

“Uh…I should go, Tumbo will want his dinner when he gets back from the hunt.” Rena spoke as she hurried past Logan, leaving Ororo to look after her with pleading eyes. Once they were alone, with Logan still in the doorway, Ororo fidgeted a bit not knowing what to say or where to start.

“So what did ya wanna tell me darlin?” He questioned again.

“I think that honesty is important for a relationship.” Ororo said causing Logan to frown at her in confusion.

“Yeah, I think it is too darlin.”

“So I shall be honest.” She said sighing heavily and then going silent again, trying to form the words, and wondering if she should wait until she knew for sure before telling him anything. “I am late.” she finally blurted out.

“Fer what?” Logan asked still completely lost.

“My period.” She said as she now stared directly at him.

“Shit.” He mumbled a curse. "Are ya sure?”

“That I'm haven't had my period, yes. That I am pregnant, no I am not sure, and it is not like we can go to the corner store and pick up a test, you know how far the nearest town is.”

“So, I’ll go if ya want, if ya need…I mean ta be sure.”

“NO, you cannot the town maybe far away, but trust me the gossip flows on the wind, and if you go into town to get a pregnancy test trust that the new will get back here before you do. I do not wish to shame my Aunt, and me being pregnant and unwed will surely do it, it is considered a disgrace among my people, Logan.” Ororo said her eyes watering with impending tears.




“What?” Ororo exclaimed as she and Logan sat in the hut with her aunt, where they had gathered for dinner.

“It’s tradition to ask you since you are Ororo’s only blood relative here.” Logan spoke to Kimyra, ignoring Ororo’s outburst and fear stricken eyes. Kimyra gave a hardy laugh and slapped Logan’s back.

“Yes, yes…Logan you are serious about this, you want to take my Ororo as your wife.” She asked and Logan looked from her to Ororo whose eyes looked like they were going to pop out of her head, he then looked back to Kimyra.

“Yes ma’am, more than anything.”

“Wait a mi…” Ororo spoke out and her aunt shushed her.

“Hush child, go fetch us some fresh drinking water from the well, while Logan and I discuss the how he shall pay the bridewealth.” Ororo felt panicked, wanting to stay and be a part of the discussion but knowing that it was not her place, that traditionally she had no say in the matter, really and so she stood and left the hut. Upon her return from the well Ororo walked onto a scene of celebration as the villagers had gather around the nightly lit bondfire, singing and dancing loudly, her eyes than fell on Logan who was surrounded by the men of the village, shaking his hand and giving him words of wisdom about, what Ororo could only assume was their impending nuptials. “Ororo!” Her aunt exclaimed. “Come child, join the celebration…you are to be married in a couple of days, Rena and I have already started the preparations, and all the women of the village shall do their part, it shall be glorious. Why we have not had such a happy, joyous occasion since Rena’s marriage.”

“Wait,” Ororo spoke and she moved to where her aunt and cousin stood. “How did Logan afford the bridewealth?” Ororo had been counting on that being the undoing of the shotgun wedding, being that the dowry usually consisted of cows and goats.

“That groom of yours is something else, once I told him what it would take, he went throughout the village buying up every pig, cow, goat and even a couple of camels, let me tell you child he really wants to marry you, he went far beyond what I had requested.” She said chuckling.

“Hey darlin,” Logan said as he came up behind Ororo, who turned and gave him a deathly glare. “So I guess you’ve heard the good news.

“Yes and it may double, Rafiki has inquired if you would like his daughter as well,” Kimyra said and both Ororo and Logan looked at her dumbstruck. “She is 15 and a virgin like Ororo, and Rafiki is only asking for a quarter of what I wanted.”

“Uh…you can tell him no thank you, I only want one wife, Ororo.” Logan stated and Ororo found herself smiling a bit, despite the situation.

“Oh Logan, I forget sometimes that your are American and do not clearly understand the ways of our people, it is quite accustomary for a husband to take several wives, in fact Rena shall have a co-wife soon.” Ororo looked to her cousin at this news and could see the sadness it caused her, and as much as she loved this place, her home, it was times like this that she was grateful she didn’t have to live there. “I shall tell him, but I think he and his daughter shall be disappoint, she has had her eyes on you since you first arrived.” Kimyra spoke as she nodded her head, and all their eyes followed to where an older man stood beside a teenaged girl, who both watched them intensely and threw a smile when they saw Kimyra, Ororo, Logan, and Rena all staring at them. “I better go break the news, come Rena let us leave to bride and broom alone for a moment, for after this night they shall not see each other again untilt he ceremony.” Kimyra said and she an Rena moved towards the man and daughter.

“So,” Logan spoke as he smiled at Ororo.

“So, what the hell do you think you are doing Logan?”





You must login () to review.