Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these characters but enjoy them.

A long time coming


“Where have all the good men gone?” The oriental woman with a British accent named Betsy Braddock better known as Psylocke asks under her breath no realizing she said it aloud.

“Isn’t that a song Betsy?” Ororo replies. The morning is crisp, with little humidity. The air is clean with fresh dew resting on the grass of Xavier’s School of gifted youngsters.

“Hmm?” Betsy replies in between stretches. She, Ororo, Jubilee and Logan would run in these early morning hours, almost as a ritual now.

“You said something about where have all the good men gone.” Ororo answered as she pulls her head to her knee. They had arrived earlier than normal and were now waiting for Logan and Jubilee.

“Oh just a thought I had was all.” Betsy answered her friend.

“Oh well there are good men still around you just have to look.” Counters Ororo. It was one of those rare quite times between missions and the school was out for summer.

“You mean like Forge.” Betsy said teasing in her voice. It was true that Ororo and Forge had been seeing each other for a long time now and their relationship was one of the more stable ones in the “X” family.

“He is alright.” Reacts Ororo, her smirk telling different.

“So do you think he will ask you?” Responds Betsy as she stands up and pulls her leg straight up to her chest like a ballerina, holding perfect balance.

“Ask her what?” asks a gruff, throaty voice from behind Betsy. Ororo’s heart skips a beat or two ever so lightly as she looks at the man called Logan. She breathes in a little more deeply as she stretches, holding it longer than really needed.

“You know Wolvie when Forge and her are going to do that big M word.” The young oriental girl with frazzled hair retorts as she yawns the last bit of it. She looked as though she had only just gotten up only moments before.

“Oh.” Logan grunts as he begins to stretch deeply. His muscles were stiff this morning, perhaps because he had been in the Danger room working out with a new program that Forge had made for him. “How long have you both been here?”

“About ten minutes old friend.” Ororo answers. She had just now finished her stretches, something Logan always insisted on. She grinned slightly, remembering a discussion he had with Jubilee only last week about the importance of stretching.

“Sorry Jubilee was sleeping.” Logan replies a grin forming across his face.

“Hey it wasn’t my fault my alarm didn’t go off.” Exclaims Jubilee somewhat defensive.

“So you forgot to set it again?” Replies Betsy with a smirk.

“Watch it china doll.” Replies a flustered Jubilee. Jubilee didn’t like Psylocke ever since she met her in Mandipoor for reasons only known to them.

“Jubilation.” Retorted Ororo in a stern voice. Jubilee hated that. It made her feel as though she was only five and her mother had corrected her. Course she did look to Ororo as her mother for lord only knew the reason.

“Tell ya what ‘Ro why don’t ya both start runn’n and we'll start late.” intervenes Logan as he places his hand on Jubilee’s shoulder, his voice tempering her raising rebellious anger.

“As you wish Old Friend.” Ororo responds placing her hand on his shoulder looking at Betsy to keep her pulse from over reacting, that way Logan did not notice it.

“No problem.” Betsy replies as she looks at Ororo with a look that said in so many words…what was that?


Minutes later as Ororo and Betsy began nearing the turn to leave Greymelkin Lane to a running trail and out of earshot of Logan, Ororo asks a question…

“Why does it seem Jubilation dislikes you?”

“Most probably how we first met and maybe how Logan and I were sleeping together for a little while.” Betsy replied breathing in between.

Ororo heard her words and as if she had been hit directly with one of Scott’s optic blasts the air left her chest. “What?!” Ororo slowing, trying to regain her rhythmic stride back.

So it is true thinks Betsy as she slows down to keep pace with Ororo. “Well he and I had a casual sex thing for a few weeks while we were reforming the X-Men." Betsy tried to make it as painless as possible, " He was still healing from his wounds with the Reavers and it was a hard time for him…”

Betsy trailed off as she felt Ororo’s emotions fluctuate as she remembered hearing about the Reavers’ attack on Logan. If it was not for Jubilation, Logan may have died from his wounds. The memory pained her because she wasn't there for him like she was Mariko.

“Storm?” Betsy asks, apprehension in her voice.

“Yes Betsy?” Ororo answers as she came back to reality, not realizing that Betsy had switched from Ororo to her code-name.

“Are you in love with Forge or someone else?” Betsy asks still with apprehension and heavy breathing now mixed in.

“I love Forge Betsy. Why do you ask such a question?” Ororo was shocked her friend would even ask such a thing. “Do you want him?” Ororo deflected with a smile. Sweat streaming down her face.

“No!” exclaims Betsy. She nearly choked on her intake of air. “Besides the only one I want doesn’t feel the same way. He loves someone else.” Her voice sounding distant, hurt slightly.

The bend near the trail was coming up. It was a straight run to the lake from there.

“Is it Logan?” Ororo asks, her voice full of concern for her friend.

“Does it matter?” responds Betsy, she regretted saying that as she appeared transparent to Storm.

“Only if you want to speak about it.” Ororo says. How much of a sister she was to Betsy. She knew whom Logan loved, it was Jean and to speak of it was painful.

Betsy remembered when they had ended their sexual encounters. She had actually, telling Logan perhaps it was something that two co-workers should not do and not have it interfere with their professional relationship. The reality was Logan spoke Ororo’s name in his sleep three nights before and it had hurt her more than she thought it would of.
Now here was Ororo, her sister and now she had to speak of it again.

“What is there to say?” Betsy replies. “I care about him because we started having sex. It was my fault Ororo. I told him when we started that it was just casual no strings, and at first it was. After a few times though I started to develop feelings for him. I wanted him to come around on his own but he spoke someone’s name in his sleep. It was then that I realized he wouldn’t feel the same way.

The lake was now only one hundred yards away as it came in sight. Betsy subconsciously began to move faster, as if running from something. Ororo quickened her pace to keep up with her friend.

Ororo smirked and decided to joke with her to relieve some of the pressure Betsy had felt.

“So how good was he?”

Betsy stopped and just looked at Ororo as the white-haired woman slowed and stopped, turning to look at her.

“You know.... the best at what he does.” Betsy says as she begins to laugh with Ororo.





You must login () to review.