Words in the dark.

Night has fallen over Xavier’s School of gifted youngsters, all is quite, all peaceful.

“I SAY AGAIN THIS IS CYCLOPS OF BLUE TEAM WE ARE COMING IN HOT, X-MAN DOWN! NEED IMMEDIATE MED VAC!”

Cyclops looks behind him from the radio; even through his red visor, a look of concern is plastered on his face. How could this have happened? Cyclops, Beast, Gambit, Rogue, Wolverine, Psylocke, & Jubilee are X-Men Blue and they were sent out on a mission only four hours ago. They had been sent to investigate mutant disappearances in Baltimore. Unfortunately, they were expected and a trap laid. Cyclops turned as a hail of bullets hurl toward him and Gambit. A shadow flies in front of them both and Cyclops was awed as well as hurt as the figure took the full assault of rounds. It took the remaining X-Men Blue team mere minutes to take down the humans that claimed to be from a group of human supremacist called Friends of Humanity. It could have been to long.

Beast and Jubilee were on the med station on the blackbird trying to stabilize their patient. Cyclops and Psylocke were piloting, a look on Psylocke’s face was one of pure grimace. The jet slides into the bay as Jean, Storm, and Forge was waiting with the medical gurney and respirator.

Jean’s face pails as she hears Scott’s voice in her head and sees the images of the encounter, she sees the blood and the damage.

“Oh God” she says as the plane’s lift door lowers to the ground. “Logan”

Ororo turns to Jean as she hears the name. Her heart sinks as she then turns to the group wheeling the gurney from the Blackbird, all running. She sees Jubilee on the side of the gurney holding the hand of the passenger. Beast checking vitals, voicing his findings, Cyclops and Gambit rolling the gurney, Psylocke and Rogue with their arms around themselves, Logan with pressure bandages, IVs plugged into his arms, and blood still oozing.

“The rounds were mercury tipped! He took approximately forty through out his body, Ten in the chest!” Yells McCoy as he nears Jean and the others.

Ororo grabs Jubilee holding her as Logan, McCoy, & Jean disappears into the med bay.

“’Roro he has to make it. He has too.” Jubilee cries as she buries herself into Storm’s embrace.

“He will be child, he is the Wolverine. If anyone can, he will. Have faith Jubilee.”
Ororo responds feeling the tears behind her eyes but holds them back to comfort the girl in her arms.
She looks over to see Forge and Cyclops speaking. Cyclops’ eyes never leaving the view window, moments later Xavier in his Shi’ar hover chair floats by them as well.

“What happened Scott?” Asks Forge.

“We walked in there like amateurs. We followed a few suspects into a garbage yard, Logan couldn’t track them. I had Rogue go air-borne to see if she could get a better view. Psylocke couldn’t pick up anything, we found later that they were wearing psi-dampeners. That’s when Rogue called in saying she saw movement, then they ambushed us. I only heard gunfire and that’s when I saw Logan leap in front of myself and Gambit.”

Meanwhile Gambit is standing near Storm as she holds a semi-sleeping Jubilee.

“De Wolverine he protected Cyclops and Gambit chere. Da bullets dey would have killed dis cajan and one-eye. Afta we all see de Wolverine fall we all became possessed Stormy. We had ta get him here. No fool’n ‘round. When we find out dat de bullets were filled wit da mercury it made it worse no.”

Xavier and Forge listen to Cyclops.

“When Hank was able to pull out a round from Logan, he discovered the mercury Professor. I know Logan and I have had our differences but we have always respected each other. I don’t want him to die.”

Minutes turn into hours and though it was touch and go several times, including Logan’s heart stopping twice Hank, Jean, and the Professor managed to stabilize the feral warrior known as Logan the Wolverine. It was to no small part due to his healing factor as well.
Everyone agreed that no other X-Man with perhaps the acception of Colossus in his armored form would have been able to handle those rounds.

Ororo stayed near Logan’s bed for the reminder of the night, never leaving his side. Even when Forge tried to get her to come to bed with him, later Jean and Scott came by to check on her and Logan as well. As dawn approached, Ororo held on to Logan’s hand speaking to him.

“Do you remember old friend when you had come out near the beach in your uniform after we first became X-Men? I had made the unfortunate mistake of thinking you were going to kill an animal when you said you were going to hunt. I saw how that remark had hurt you and when you explained yourself, I felt like the fool. Alternatively, when we were in the savage land for the first time? You moved so like a jungle cat, fierce and strong. I remember when we were going to harm the saber tooth that belonged to Ka-Zar you stopped us. You who killed showed us that sometimes we did not have to be so extreme. Even when everyone cuddled me in the tunnels and you refused. I hated you for it but then I heard your words. “She can do it herself. She if can’t then she shouldn’t be here. I believe she can do it without help.” You never allow your ideals and honor to be subjugated. You have taught us..” she pauses..”No you have taught me so much Logan. I do not think I would have come this far without you around. You are my best friend while Gambit is my brother and Jean my sister. Stay here for me.” She then thinks to herself. “I love you old friend please goddess keep him safe.”

Jean heard her from the doorway, her face solemn.

That afternoon Forge is having dinner with Ororo and he is looking at her. His heart flies for her everytime he is near her. If he could protect her from the pain of this life he would.

“Roro.” He says

“Yes Forge.”

“Will you marry me.” Forge says. “You don’t have to say anything now, sleep on it okay.”

With that he leaves her.

That night as Ororo sleeps in her bed and Forge lays awake thinking of thoughts that have plagued his mind he hears Ororo speaking in her sleep. He hears her giggle and sees her beautiful smile. He hears the wind whimsically dance outside. He knows she is happy. What is she dreaming of?

“hehehe you are so wrong for that.” Forge looks at his love bewildered at her statement.

“hmmm I want you so bad.”

“Please..please stay with me. I want you too.”

“Hold me tight.”

“Your so bad Logan.”

Forge stops and looks at Ororo for a moment. Could she be dreaming of Logan in that way? Or was she dreaming several things. Him being last. Perhaps he was on her mind, after all he did almost die. They were good friends. Perhaps he would have to talk with Jean tomorrow, she knew Ororo better than anyone.

++So what do you think?





You must login () to review.