Storm awoke in a dingy cell, wall to wall with cement. She was lying down on a bench, with her arms chained just above her head. She heard whimpering to her left, and looked to see two figures huddled together in a corner. "It's going to be okay," someone soothed. Storm recognized it as Laura's voice, and she heard a little bit of whimpering- Storm knew that was Kendall.

"L-Laura," Storm called hoarsely, her throat dry.

Laura looked up from where she was, then jumped up and ran to her. "Storm!" Storm tried to sit up, but it was a struggle. "Here..." SNIKT! Two claws came out of each of Laura's hands, and she cut Storm free. Using a bobby pin as a lock pick, Storm took off the wristlets that were formerly part of the chain. SNAKT!

"Mommy!" Kendall called, racing to her mother.

"Kendall," Storm said in relief, picking up her daughter and hugging her tightly. "My baby..." she slowly rocked her back and forth, tears coming out of her eyes.

Laura watched them, slightly envious that Kendall at least had a mother during her childhood. Laura was stuck in a Weapon X facility, being poked and probed at, with no mother to watch her twenty-four-seven. Then she thought that Storm had treated her like her own daughter from the beginning, despite trying to kill Logan- her father and clone. Laura told Logan that she would protect Kendall and Storm at all costs, and she would. This was what she was trained for as an X-Man.

It wasn't long before Kendall fell asleep in her mother's arms, and it was silent between the two women. "What did they do while I was out?" she asked, wanting to know if they harmed her baby.

"They drew some blood from us, and you," Laura replied. "But that's it. They have checked on us a couple of times, and then left us."

Part of Storm was relieved, the other part was angry that they touched her daughter. The door beyond the cell creaked open, instinctively Storm clutched her daughter closer to her body. "I'm glad to see that you're awake," a voice she didn't recognize said.

Laura stood up, and the claws popped out. SNIKT! "Who are you?" Laura snarled.

"Ah, X-23," the man said. "I don't believe we've ever had a chance to meet. I'm Professor Thorton. The creator of Weapon X."

Storm gasped, and Laura looked like she was about to attack the guy. A woman's laughter entered the area. "Hi, X, miss me?"

"Kimura!" Laura cried.

"That's right," Kimura goaded. "We've been looking for you and Weapon X for awhile. Glad to see that you've found a new mommy." Laura lunged at Kimura with her taunts, but was unable to reach her former handler, who laughed. "Easy, kid, don't make me accidentally drop this..." she pulled out a canister. "You know what this is?" Laura took a step back, knowing exactly what it was. "That's right, X, it's your Trigger Scent. If you cooperate with us, I won't expose your new family to it."

The two enemies glared at one another. Laura spat at her handler, then went to the bench, where Storm was. "You have no idea what you're doing, Kimura, or who you're dealing with."

Kimura laughed, but with a sharp look from the Professor, she stopped. "There's also one other person you need to meet before we leave," Thorton said.

A man as tall as Sabretooth walked into the room. "Greetings," he said. "I am Graydon Creed-"

"Leader of the FoH, "Storm said.

"So you've heard of me," Craydon said. "I'm flattered."

"I've heard of you, and your family. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"What do you mean by that?" Graydon snarled. Laura stood in front of the mother and daughter, ready to attack if need be. Graydon composed himself after a minute. "No matter, once we're done with you three, the Mutant Registration Act will be invoked." He turned to William Stryker, one of the main scientists of the Weapon X project. "You know what to do if the animal gets here." Behind William stood Victor Creed. "You can do what you want with the woman, once we're done with her."

Sabretooth grinned, causing Storm to flinch. As the group left, Kimura threw a rock at the cell. "Animals," she said.

When the door closed, Storm looked at Laura. "How long do we have?"

"Probably until morning," Laura said.

"They we have to get out of here before then."

"How?" Laura asked. "This place will be completely guarded. There's no way out."

Storm chuckled. "Laura, you're talking to a former thief. If there's one thing I know, it's stealth. We need to get out of here tonight."

PtF

Logan got back to the house, and new instantly that something was wrong. He searched the entire house and couldn't find Storm. He hoped she was in the cabin with Laura and Kendall, but as he was about to go out through the back, he caught the scent of burnt pasta and tomato sauce. He saw the sauce on the floor, and a stench hit him that he would never forget.

The claws came out, and he howled his grief. Pushing back down his animal side, he grabbed the phone and called the mansion. "We've got a problem."

PtF

"How do you think we can get out of here?" Laura asked.

"Can you slice through the bars?" Storm asked. Kendall was awake now, playing with her mother's hair. There was a sound of metal screeching against metal. Kendall covered her ears and buried her face into her mom's shoulder. "It's okay, sweetie, I'm here," she whispered.

"No, it's adamantium," Laura growled.

Storm looked behind them, noticing the barred window. "What about those?"

Laura looked behind her. Shrugging, she took a swipe, the top of the bars easily coming apart.

Storm turned to her daughter. "Kendall," she said, holding her daughter gently by the shoulders. "If I'm not with you, whatever happens, I need you to listen to Laura. Okay? Promise me that."

"I promise, mommy," Kendall replied, not fully understanding what her mother was telling her, but knew it was important.

The door to the cell area opened, Kimura and Stryker walked in, sliding in trays of disgusting looking food. "Come and get it, muties!" Kimura called, banging the bars with a stick.

Kendall started to whimper, covering her ears and curling into her mother, who protectively angled her body away from the offending people by the cell. "Please, stop, you're scaring her," Storm said, though she knew what little good that would do her.

"She should be scared, Ororo," Stryker said. "This is just the beginning of what will happen to her."

There was a rumble of thunder, matching Storm's mood and her protectiveness toward Kendall. Stryker just smirked at her and walked out of the area. Kimura threw another rock at X-23. "See you later kiddies, ha ha ha ha..."

Half an hour later, the bars were removed from the window. Laura went up first. "Come on, Kendall," Laura called to her half-sister. The door opened again, Storm turned around, her eyes whiting over. Laura pulled Kendall up, then turned to Storm. "Aren't you coming?"

"No, I need to stay here to hold them off," Storm said, fog coming in through the window.

"What's going on in here?" Graydon Creed demanded, through the bars of the cell.

"Go!" Storm cried. "Run!"

"Mommy!" was the last thing Storm heard her daughter say as Laura picked her up and raced through the fog. Using the wind, Storm pulled some dirt into the cell to blind the soldiers that were coming in. She knew she was trapped, but she had to buy herself enough time for her daughters to escape. Some sort of rope landed around her neck, pulling her forward to the ground.

PtF

Laura raced with Kendall through the thick fog. Her heightened senses told her where to go since the guards were everywhere. They reached a gate, where Laura took her chances to cut a hole in the wire. Pushing Kendall through first, she followed, barely escaping one of the guards. The fog started to let up, as the two raced into the trees, but at least they were safe... for now.

PtF

The only thing Storm heard was the beep of a heart monitor as her senses became awake. She felt exhausted, not really reacting to the people in scrubs around her. The next thing she knew, darkness was slowly enveloping her welcomingly, and she thought she heard the familiar voice call out her name. "Logan..."





You must login () to review.