“She will be fine, just fine.” Hank assured the still unconvinced people standing in his lab, huddled around the small child, who now lie sleeping.

“No she will not, she will never be ok.” Ororo spoke in a hushed voice as she stroked her daughter’s soft hair. Logan watched her intensely from a few pacing back; his mind and heart filled with turmoil at the new Hank had given them.

“I don’t understand.” He said as he turned to Hank. “None of this should be possible, if all the crud you and Chuck spout on about is true.”

“Well I assure you Logan it is very possible, and quite true in fact, though I know it’s hard to grasp and I too was stunned at first, but I ran test after test as you well know, and the conclusion was always the same. Nivea’s dormant Mutant genes are very active.”

“A puppy’s bite cause all this shit?” Logan asked still in disbelief.

“No, I believe it caused this particular manifestation yes, but I think Nivea’s powers very well have been active since her birth.”

“Goddess,” Ororo groaned out as tears welled up in her eyes. Hank sighed heavily knowing his words were causing Ororo unease but felt they must know the truth in order to deal with it all, and so he continued.

“This was a reflex for her, the puppy bit her and she reacted on instinct much like…”

“Logan,” Ororo spoke out her voice dripping bitterness, which Logan instantly picked up on, as did Hank.

“Yes,” Hank confirmed. “Much as Logan reacts in certain situations.”

“So yer thinkin this is my fault?” Logan asked as he looked at Ororo.

“Uhm...well no, I mean the chances of Nivea’s being a mutant were almost definite what with you two…”

“Is that what ya think darlin?” Logan asked, directing his words to Ororo, whom he had been asking to start with. She didn’t reply only scooped her child up in her arms and cradled her.

“May I take her and put her to bed?” She asked avoiding Logan’s hard gaze which was locked onto her.

“Yes, of course. I am done with all the tests, but I may need to run more.”

“But not tonight.” Ororo said.

“No, not tonight.” Hank agreed. With a nod Ororo turned from the two men standing in the room, and exited. Logan stared after her. “Logan,” Hank spoke to him and though he listened he didn’t move his gaze from the now empty doorway. “I don’t believe Ororo is blaming you, it is not your fault, you had no control over this. She’s just upset that…”

“That her baby will have claws ripping through her flesh whenever she’s enraged, and that it’ll cause her agony and believe me it will.” He said these words as he turned to glare at Hank “And she’s blaming me for that because it is my fault.” SNIKT! Hank stared at the metal claws before him and then to the man, his friend wishing there was something he could say to make it better for him, but knew there were no right words. At Hank’s silence, Logan retracted his claws and then turned and stalked from the room, as an overwhelming need to hurt something hit him. All the bodies that had lined the halls outside the lab, awaiting word on the youngest resident in the house, parted clearing a path for Logan as he rushed by. No one had dared to ask him anything, as they hadn’t dared to ask Ororo when she had passed. They only watched Logan’s departing back, each pitying the poor soul who got in his way while he was in such a mood.

At the sound of the roaring Motorcycle, Ororo left Nivea’s bedside and moved to the window in time to see Logan speeding through the Mansion’s main gates and then down the road. “Damn,” She silently cursed herself knowing his leaving was her fault, and that whatever chaos was cause that night by ‘Wolverine’s’ hands was also her fault. She let her eyes move back to the sleeping face of her daughter and wondered how she could be angry with Logan, when she knew in her heart he was not to blame. How could she have had regrets, even for the millisecond that she had in the lab, of ever being with him, of having a child with him, this precious miracle. As her thoughts assaulted her she crumbled to the floor in sobs. “I am so sorry Logan, So sorry.” She cried for her child and for the man she loved and their relationship, which she knew she had changed forever.

~~~~

“Another one.” The gruff voice called out to the barkeeper. “In fact just leave the bottle.” He instructed.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” The barkeep asked as he sat the full bottle of vodka on the bar next to the man’s empty glass. When the man only growled and glared in reply, the barkeep threw his hands up. “Hey they make us ask that, I personally don’t give a fuck so long as the money’s good.” At these words a wad of bills were tossed on the table. “Alright then, drink up.” The barkeep said with a smile as he counted the bills and then reached under the bar and placed another full bottle of vodka beside the other one and then walked off to another patron. Logan opened one of the bottles and didn’t bother pouring any in the glass, but put the bottle to his lips and threw back his head, and took huge gulps, and then grimaced as the liquid burnt a path down his throat. He got an instant buzz which he knew wouldn’t last long, not with his healing factor always kicking in at the slightest attack on his body. After only a few seconds the buzz dissipated just as a female’s voice sang in his ears.

“Would you like some company?” She asked as she stood just beside him, and Logan turned his head and stared at the woman, an obvious prostitute. With a chuckle he turned back to his bottle before he spoke.

“Yeah, I would.” He replied and she smiled a toothy grin. "But not yours” He added which gained him a soured look from her before she flipped her hair and turned to walk away. He watched her in the mirror behind the bar and wondered what the fuck had happened to him, when had he become so domesticated. Not so long ago he would have taken a woman like that outside and right up against the cold stone walls in the alleyway, or if he was horny enough, had gotten them a room, where he would have made sure he had gotten his money’s worth, no matter how much she screamed, cried, our bled. But not now, no now all he could think about was the woman he had at home, probably sleeping in their bed now and their daughter no doubt sleeping next to her. At the thought of Nivea his anger flared again, as Ororo’s blaming eyes fused in his mind. Without realizing his grip on the Vodka bottle tightened and soon it burst, spewing glass and liquor across the bar.

“Hey motherfucker,” A deep voice spoke out as a heavy hand gripped at Logan’s coat, turning his roughly. “You gotta problem?” The huge man with no neck and muscles bugling everywhere asked, as he loomed over Logan’s frame. Logan looked up at the man and a smile crept across his face.

“Yeah bub, and I think you can help me with it.”

~~~~

He walked over and around the bleeding bodies scattered about the bar, and the few still standing hastily moved out of his way as he made for the exit. Once outside the rain cascaded over him and his mind again went to Ororo but these thoughts didn’t anger him, but did upset him. He knew she was the cause of this sudden downpour and panic filled him as he thought of why. He ran to his bike and raced back to the mansion.





You must login () to review.