Disclaimer: Don't own any of the x-men character in any of the different Marvel universes (Cartoon, Comic or Movie). All owned and copyrighted by Marvel Comics.

Author's Notes: Initially meant as a oneshot, this has grown to a short series. Currently at four, there will be around 8-9 chapters, with around 1000 to 1500 words per chapter.

Spoilers (and possible spoilers):
1. Astonishing X-Men (#10 through #12)
2. X-Men (#175, #176)
3. Black Panther (#07 through #09, # 14 through #18)
4. House of M #08 (other issues)
5. Decimation - House of M - The Day After
6. Wolverine (#36 through #40)
7. New X-Men (#20 through #23)

** ** indicates telepathic communication
‘ ’ indicates thought
“ ” indicates spoken words


It was Kitty who found her….broke the news to her. The news she had been dreading to hear.

The news of HIS return…..Logan’s return.

“Logan’s back!!”

Almost five months after they last met, out there on the Serengeti, Logan had returned to the X-Men….but not to her, not now….not after what she did to him.

Not after the way she betrayed him, him friendship, his trust…..his love.

Not now.

----

They’d met near the Kenyan border. She found him, no, he found her, tracking over two thousand of miles of desert and savannah, following her scent wherever possible, asking around wherever not.

He had found her…..come for her….come to her.

“Hey ‘Ro,” his growl carried none of its usual confidence, instead filled with the pain of a man who, by a freak accident, had suddenly attained the one thing that had defined his whole existence….the one thing he had time and again strived for….the one thing that had always eluded him.

Until now.

However, the saying, beware what you wish for, once again, proved itself to be true.

----

The fall of the House of M, the illusionary mutants-in-power world woven by a deranged mind of Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch, the reality-bending daughter of Magneto, had global repercussions.

Her three little words, 'no more mutants', proved prophetic in themselves, her final burst of power, wiping out more than ninety percent of the world’s mutant population, rendering them human, bringing an end to their mutancy….just as she commanded.

Although not affected physically or genetically, the mutant known as Wolverine, too had his world through into chaos. Thrown into the illusion, a bizarre thing happened to him…..he got the one thing he had been searching for all his life, all his previously ‘remembered’ life.

He got his memories, his REAL memories.

----

Tired but not broken, he had come to her, as he had in the past. He could think no one else to turn to….no one except his ‘Ro. no one except his ‘Ro. Not even Xavier, who even if wasn’t already off the radar, had lost too much respect in the feral’s eyes…parting company after Xavier’s handling of the sentient Danger Room, the artificial life-form calling herself Danger.

She had welcomed him, not because she felt any obligation towards him, one that had fulfill for the times when he had been there for her, his gruff but silent support acting as her rock, in her time of need.

After all, not only were they teammates, not only were they friends, they were the best of friends, and maybe even something more, a fact she realized many a times in the past, but something she never admitted to, even to herself…..not until now.

----

“You sure about this?” He had asked her, his body still recovering from the recent most attack on it. It had been before the House of M. The X-Men had just finished with their mission in Niganda and were ready to return home.

“I am Logan. Now that I am back in Africa….I don’t want to leave,” was her answer, her eyes not meeting his. “I need some time alone….To reconcile all that I have become….woman, goddess, x-man, myself.”

Suppressing a scowl at the taller, Vibranium suit clad T’Challa, Black Panther’s offer to make arrangements for her stay, and a grin at her rejection of that offer, he had stepped forth, his gloved hand rising to her bare shoulder.

“I understand,” he told her, and knowing him as she did, she knew that indeed he did. He more than anyone knew the need, the urge to get away once in a while, not because you had got fed up with your life and the people in it, but to find yourself.
“Thank you, Logan,” she answered with nary a smile. Unlike the other times where they hugged at such occasions, the physical touch confirming and solidifying their bond, this time she maintained her distance, her hands fisted at her sides, her stance proud and regal. Was it because of the people, her ‘worshippers’ surrounding her, the other man standing before…between them, or just something within her, she still didn’t know.

All she knew was that even though she didn’t realize the subconscious change in her, Logan did. Stopping himself for going further than the hand-on-shoulder gesture, he withdrew, turned around and walked away.

“I’ll tell the others,” he spoke over his back, once again sparing her the looks, comments and questions she would surely get from the others, even her friend-cum-brother-cum-ex-partner, Remy, who, knowing him, would within the blink of an eye, have offered to stay with her.

Watching him walk away, she soon turned back to T’Challa and resumed their conversation, missing the look a pair of hazel-brown eyes gave her….just as she missed the pain, anger and jealousy flash in them at the kiss she shared with her ex-lover.


----

Gaining his memories, Logan or as he was named by his parents, James Howlett had left the X-Men, taking a temporary break to discover, not who he was, he knew that now, but to discover what parts of his life still existed….just as she had done just a short time before.

He had spanned the globe, his repeated and erratic slipping in and out of the grid unnerving various security organizations, both known and secret. SHIELD had placed him under constant surveillance, or at least tried to, their agents on more than one occasion losing their target.

Even the Avengers had been brought in, the memories of when, in Captain America’s own words had jumped fence still fresh in their minds. The news of his attack on the Prime Minister of Japan’s convoy adding oil to the fire.

They finally sent the Captain after him, his orders to use whatever means necessary to stop him…whatever means necessary.


Note: This was intended to be a oneshot. However, after it crossed 7000 words, I decided to split it up.

The updates will be coming along soon…just keep sending your reviews!!





You must login () to review.