“You have reached….”

The answering machine started. “Jubilee,” a lively female voice, one belonging to the young woman of the same name piped up. “Laura,” an equally young but much somber voice continued. “and Logan,” once again it was Jubilee, but with a deeper pitch, an imitation of her Wolvie interjected, carrying on with the rest of the message.

“….’s house of freaks and horrors. You know what to do with your name, phone number and message, so do it already.”

An amused sigh could be heard from the other end as Scott’s Summers voice sounded from the speaker.

“Message for Logan,” it was a usual practice to specify who the message for. “Logan, this is Scott. Just called to remind you that Emma, Henry and me, we will be going to DC tomorrow, regarding this registration of all superheroes act. I know you asked for to be left alone except for missions, but we…I wanted to know if you could stay over at the mansion for the next couple of days. I’ve tried on your cell, but it seems to be turned off. Left the same message there too. So, just give me a call at my office. Thank you. Oh, I almost forgot. Ororo seems to have reached a decision. Remember to come for that meeting tonight. See you then, seven sharp.”

Click!!

-----

The message ending, the two occupants and co-residents of the apartment looked at one another. Returning to their apartment, Jubilee and Laura found their third pad-mate gone. Although nothing out of the ordinary in itself, their internal alarms rang at the three empty bottles of whisky on the floor, the remains of Logan’s cell phone lying near them. The chipped wall paint and the mangled circuitry made everything clear as to what happened to the doomed device.

“What happened here?” Jubilee stared wide eyed at the tattered remains of clothing scattered all over the room.

Taking a testing sniff, a very familiar smell assaulted Laura X’s nostrils, her own eyes growing large as she recognized and placed the smell. The message, the smell, the clothes, the drinking, the phone, she quickly made the connections.

“He’s gone,” she spoke tightly, her fists balling up on their own accord, her Adamantium laced claws threatening to pop put.
“Duh,” Jubilee looked up from where she was collecting the phone, or what remained of it. “Even I can see that Lady Brainiac.”
“Hn.”

----

“Oh shi…..” Jubilee gasped as she caught sight of the destruction in Logan’s room. She thought the living room was bad, it was nothing compared to this. “Laura,” she cried out, carefully making her way through the littered floor.
“Yeah….oh.”
“Yeah, oh,” Jubilee repeated her succinct answer. “He’s gone,” she turned around, her finger pointing to the empty space on the wall, the space that until a couple of days ago was occupied by a sword, a special sword, the honor-sword of clan Yashida. Its absence could mean only thing, Logan was gone for an indefinite period of time.
“I told you,” Laura sighed, mild dejection making it through her usually impassive exterior. “He left this,” she held up a piece of paper, Logan’s writing was on it.

“What does it say?” A piece of a broken lamp shade crunched under her feet as Jubilee stepped over to the take the note.
“He’s leaving, doesn’t know till when, wants us to take his place in the meeting,” Laura gave the abridged version. “And not to take any shit from anyone.”

All her recent liveliness gone, Jubilee read through the note. True enough, Logan had written all this, plus his love for them and for them to take care….not that Laura was going to mention it, if anything the young Ms. Wolverine as Jubilee called her sometimes, was even guarded then ol’ Fuzzface himself. He also wrote about the money had arranged for them. As for taking his place in the meeting, he had indeed written that, saying that he had complete confidence in both her and Laura to represent himself….their family correctly. He ended with that he would return soon.

“Idiot,” the Chinese-American girl muttered under her breath, wiping the tears welling up in her eyes. She knew it was Logan’s way of handling things. He had no one to turn to. Well, that was not true. He had them; he just did not want to put his troubles on them. It had been his way in the past. He had left when he got his memories….just like when he lost the metal on his skeleton.

----

“What do we do?” Laura broke the tense silence.
“We do as he says,” Jubilee clenched her hand around the stupid piece of paper.

“Ok,” the publicly lesser experienced former weapon nodded her answer. “Should we call Mr. Summers and tell him.”
“Nah,” Jubilee flipped her hand. “Cyke will know it when we get there. After all, Logan wouldn’t call, would he?”
“No, I guess not.” The other girl shook her head.

“Hey Laura,” Jubilee spoke moments later, her lips curving up in an conspiring smirk, her eyes still reflecting her pain.
“Yes.”

“Remember one thing. We are going to represent Wolvie. So you do know what that means, right?”
“Uh, yeah. We….” Laura started only to stop mid-sentence. She had no idea what it meant. She had thought that it would mean that they would go and maybe sit in his chair or something. “What does it mean?”

“It means….” Jubilee held up her hand and closed it into a fist, her gaze moving from her hand to Laura's. “Get it.”
“What? No?”

“Hmph. Let me clarify it for you,” said Jubilee, her lips mimicking a familiar sound.

-SNIKT-


Note:
This story is coming to an ending….and I still don’t know how it will end.

Please remember to review!!





You must login () to review.