She had run away, fleeing from him and from his love.

She had heard it all, using yoga and breathing exercises, exercises that he had taught her, she kept her breathing and heartbeat even….she heard every single word, leaving soon after he fell asleep, an easy escape facilitated by the fact that they had been out in the plains, being on a camping trip, something both of them loved.

Easing out of the warm, cozy feeling of his natural furnace like body-heat, she had taken to the skies, her winds taking her hundreds of miles away from the man who had just proclaimed his love for her.

--

“I could live like this,” he had told her a few days before it happened.
“Like this?” She questioned with interested eyes and an easy smile. The stay in Africa was doing good for both of them. For her, it had given her the chance to rediscover herself, the proximity of her homeland, the birthplace of human and in that way, mutantkind, was, in a way, rebuilding her….making her whole again.

“Yeah,” he sighed as he lolled his head back in the easy chair and then towards her, a precious and given the area, very hard to get, beer bottle grasped in his hands. “Like this,” he freed one hand to gesture at the lush countryside. “Here. No tension, no X-Men, no nothing. Just me, nature, a cold brew, a fine cigar and my best friend and most beautiful woman in the world with me, keeping me company.”

Quirking a perfectly formed eyebrow at his comment, she could not resist one of her own.

“It seems your sense of humor is as strong as ever….just as your ability for glib remarks.”

“No lies here ‘Ro,” he had returned earnestly.

“Never to you.”


----

They had crossed the line between friendship and physical intimacy, a line they had been treading on for the past so many years, pushing it further without actually crossing it…they had finally crossed it, and that both exhilarated and frightened her, causing her to run away, leaving him alone….all by himself.

If he did or did not follow her, she did not know, returning to Westchester three weeks later. It had been on Scott’s request. An emergency had risen and even though Bishop was the acting head of the X.S.E. the powers that be necessitated that it be her face to be the front of the mutant police force.

-----

“Where is he?” She had finally been able to gather the courage to face him….three hours after Kitty had broken the news to her.
“Who?” Rogue looked up from where she lay between Remy’s legs, her head against his chest as both of them watched some movie playing on the telly. Getting fed-up with the twenty-four hour news coverage, the couple had raided the mansion’s media library, getting out the most idiotic movie they could find. For them it was not so much as, what they were watching, as it was with whom they were watching…spending time with, each other.

“Logan,” she kept her eyes away from the piercing eyes of her brother. Remy had seen and sensed the change in her, not needing to use his powers to see that something was troubling his Stormy, his *padnat*. A secret that she was hiding from everyone, even from him.
“Ah think he left,” Rogue spoke between chomps of popcorn, holding it out to the African Goddess, who refused it gracefully, her heart thumping at her chest.

“L-Left?” A million thoughts ran through her mind. He had left permanently, going back to Canada or Japan. He had left on a mission. He had something or someone else to check up on and ha just come to *touch base* before taking off again.

What she missed out, and what should have been on her mind was what Rogue said next.

“Oh, ya bettah ask that boyfriend o’ yours. Ah saw them togethah.”

“Goddess, no….not him, not T’Challa.”



Note: Spoilers for this chapter: Wolverine #40, Black Panther (#14 through #18, story arc)

The cause of Ororo's supposed return is one that fabricated myself. Had to get her back somehow.

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.