She had forgotten about him….the current guest at the House of Xavier, King T’Challa, the ruler of the African state of Wakanda, the man also known as the Black Panther.

Having embarked on a worldwide quest for a wife, King T’Challa’s latest stop was at the Xavier Institute, his main target, the beautiful windrider, Ororo Monroe herself. Although, his roving eyes had gone over the other female residents of the mansion, including Rogue, Lorna and even Emma, they quickly settled on the woman for whom the trip had been made in the first place.

Hoping that the romance they shared years ago as teenagers, their recent meeting in Niganda, Ororo’s recent stay in her homeland and the feelings that still existed between them would work in his favor to get him the hand of the African Storm; T’Challa had proposed not engagement, but an opening of sorts….in front of all the X-Men.

He was nothing if not modest; flaunting the power being the supreme ruler of a whole country gave him.

--

The others had had mixed opinions about this new development, opinions which either due to their pro or con relationship with Ororo, they mostly kept to themselves. While Emma could not be least concerned with what went on with the woman she had been logger heads with for more than a century, the fact that if she would accept T’Challa’s proposal and marry him, Ororo would then be spending more time in Africa if not moving there permanently. That would mean she would not be as involved either with the X-Men or with the school, giving Scott and her…well ultimately giving her more power.

Bobby, Henry, Bishop, Piotr and Kurt, all males, all of whom had at one time or another had a crush on their exotic teammate, their feelings growing more brotherly, with the exception of Kurt, who was still confused as far as the women in his life were concerned, were not impressed by this new possibility. Although they wanted the best of her, they had assumed that if and when she finally decide to get married, it would be to someone known to them….and more importantly, someone nearby, and not in far off Africa.

Scott by himself didn’t mind it either way. For him, even though there were three teams, he was still the big man around. Having already refused Ororo’s request for her team to join her in Africa, he would if need be, easily assign them a new leader. Well, there was that and Emma’s hands on him, one down his pants and the other in his brain, to guide him to do her bidding, a fact that had been made clear time and again, the latest being the suspension/dismissal/expulsion of the de-powered Danielle Moonstar.

Rogue, Lorna and Kitty were happy for her and although they didn’t want to lose her, they would support her decision. What troubled, not only these three women, but the other X-Men too, was the memory of Ororo’s last marriage proposal. Forge, had proposed and withdrawn all within the span of twenty-four hours, leaving a heart broken Ororo behind him.

However, just as they knew that T’Challa was not Forge, they also knew that the Ororo they knew now was not the Ororo they knew then. She had changed, with all her changes not necessary liked by others.

Having grown as a leader, she had lost some of her innocence and her compassion, becoming almost ruthless in some matters. This was brought to light time and again, whether it be her breaking into the Presidential Ranch in Crawford, Texas, her handling of the ‘Arena’ situation in Japan, or even more recently, the way she had taken to behaving with her newer and younger teammates. Sometimes it almost seemed as if she was compensating in each aspect of her life, trying to be all things at one time. The hardness that had grown in her to combat Emma Frost’s entry and subsequent takeover of the school and now the X-Men, was working against her. Alex Summers, Havok, the current leader of one of the teams, had experienced it first hand when in Niganda, Storm elected to break away from the team and work on her own. It had been Logan who had handled the situation, calming Havok with a, she’s like that with everyone, an answer which wasn’t a complete lie….not anymore.

Last, but not the least, Remy was strictly against the proposal, not that he was going to tell that to Ororo. Not liking T’Challa, a man who had broken Ororo’s heart on more than one occasion, her moving away from the X-Men, his losing her as a friend, sister and some sort of soul mate, the balance of power shifting yet again, all these and more reasons factored into his decision. Then there was the nagging suspicion about what happened in Africa, a suspicion that soon changed to confirmed belief at Logan’s return.


Note: This part is from the upcoming ‘Bride of the Panther’ story arc in the Black Panther comic series. The cover of BP #14 has BP, Ororo, Susan Storm-Richards, Spiderwoman, She-Hulk, Rogue and a fifth woman (about whom I have no idea, seeing that I don’t follow this series, except for when it has an X-Men crossover). There is also a sixth one (only in shadow).

I do not like Marvel’s proclamation that, ‘the outcome of this epic quest will send reverberations throughout the whole Marvel Universe.’ For one, they are trying to garner interest and sales for the upcoming Storm miniseries, the one in which is older than the first one (Ororo: Before the Storm, #01-#04), meets and has a romance with a younger T’Challa. Secondly, well…you can get the second reason.

Spoilers: Astonishing X-Men (#02, #03, #06, #08, #10, #12), Black Panther (#07 through #09, # 14 through #18), Decimation - House of M - The Day After, X-Men (#175, #176)

Do review with your thoughts about this!!





You must login () to review.