Chapter 29

At Death's Door, pt 3


* * * *


Victor Creed found himself being escorted to the posh library on the first floor of the Xavier Institute thanks to Professor Xavier's timely intervention. Scott Summers had given him the expected run-around and lengthy interrogation over the intercom at the estate entrance, but he'd counted on Xavier's unerring willingness to give him just one more chance. Always one more chance.

So now here he was, sitting inside the mansion having been granted an audience with the X-Men and their mentor. The man they knew best as the villainous Sabretooth began to detail for them an extensive and convoluted history of events that would eventually lead them to this very moment.

Xavier sat across from him as his students and X-Men alike streamed slowly into the room. Creed opted to not start at the very beginning, with his very first meeting with the arrogant youngster known to him only as Logan many many years ago in Japan. The events that had taken place back then consisted of information that simply wouldn't work in his favor at this point in time. Nor was it relevant to the present situation, not directly anyway and, therefore, would only lend itself to add more suspicion and doubt. As it stood already, Victor needed to overcome those very things in order to accomplish his goal.

He decided to begin with his days as a covert agent for the combined governments of the United States and Canada. Going by the codename Sabretooth, he'd been a key member of the top secret and very special black ops group known as Team X; along with Wolverine, Silver Fox, Maverick and John Wraith. They'd gone out on numerous covert missions all around the world, and he recounted for them one particular mission. Their task was to acquire --- oh why mince words? - they'd been ordered to steal a very valuable object, known as the Carbonadium Synthesizer. The C-Synth was a device which, when activated, was capable of weakening the mutant healing factor.

"Which is why Dept. H wanted it to begin with", Victor explained to Professor Xavier. He sipped expensive whiskey from a short glass as he continued to describe most of his history with Logan and with the projects. He hoped to bring the professor up-to-date and convince him of the truth in his words.

"The handlers for Team X had tested the C-Synth on Logan as they began their preparations to re-write his memories, just as they did after every mission," he told Charles even as the X-Men filed into the room one by one. "One time, as they were taking him from the C-Synth treatment room to the lab where they were gonna brainwash him again, Logan fought back. He killed one of the scientists that was escorting him with a single blow to the throat -- it was an awesome strike too, quite impressive with the speed of it. Anyway, he killed the one guy and then threatened the other.

"Because of the mindwipes, Logan had lost the knowledge of his powers... and his claws. At that particular time he hadn't been bonded with adamantium yet and, as he threatened the second guy with his fist in his face, his bone claws protracted accidentally. When Logan saw his claws again, the sight of them instantly caused flashbacks of images and pieces of his wiped memory came back to him before the erasure had time to take a firm hold.

"I had been dispatched to respond to the incident and was able to get down there to them just as Logan took control of the second guy. I didn't interfere, but I did watch him closely," Creed explained. "That was my job. My assignment was to keep Wolverine under surveillance." Victor paused briefly, as a few more of Xavier's team entered the library staring at him with disbelief. He supposed it must have been a surreal image for them to see him simply sitting there calmly; in the middle of their home, after so many years of vicious battling.

Creed considered this as the new arrivals entered the room and chose their spots to stand or lean and put all their attention toward the feral. Then he turned his eyes back to Xavier, holding the cut crystal tumbler in a large clawed hand and, after taking another sip of the smooth liquid, Victor continued from where he'd left off.

"Logan demanded to know who'd given the orders to have that done to him, but the guy simply told him that he didn't know. And Wolverine must have sensed that he was telling the truth, cuz he let him live and ordered him to tell what he did know. The scientist informed Logan that he was contacted by telephone every time Wolverine needed to be mind-wiped and he didn't know who the voice on the other end belonged to.
"His only task within the program was to erase actual memories and replace them with false ones. All knowledge of the mission and its objective, along with any and all information that Logan had learned, or used, in order to complete the task was wiped clean. Then he was to replace that knowledge with false memories that were designed, and artificially fabricated, specifically for Wolverine... for reasons still unknown."

Charles' gaze was fixed on Victor Creed. He sat nearly transfixed by the man before him. This was not the Victor Creed they had all known for years and whom many had learned to despise. This man was not a wild, rampaging animal. In fact, he was not only calm, he was surprisingly articulate as well. His thoughts were ordered and he presented them with intelligence and with extreme clarity.

Charles had to remind himself often throughout the exchange that Creed's behavior could most certainly be a ruse and he needed to stay on his toes. But a quick glance at his team; to those standing over his shoulder and those opposite him near the door, assured him that he was well-covered if anything in the way of negative intentions were to arise.

"When that task was completed," Victor told him, "he was directed to always tell Wolverine that he'd "barely made it out alive", regardless of the mission he'd been on. Then, he was to commend Logan for a job well done and immediately distract him by leading him astray. He'd hand Logan a dossier detailing his next mission, barely giving him time to take a breath or recoup if he needed it."

Professor Xavier listened with focused concentration and Charles noticed for the first time that the large furry mutant sitting in front of him had the same hint of Canadian accent shared by Wolverine; which had nearly disappeared due to many years spent on American soil. This was an incredible opportunity, Charles thought; the first real chance any of them had ever had to gain any information that would lend insight into Logan's mysterious past. The only question was -- was Sabertooth telling the truth?

Victor Creed was about as hard to read telepathically as Logan was, and Charles still wasn't certain as to why these two ferals were virtually non-existent to his psychic powers. Whether that was due to their repeated memory erasure and brainwashing, or if it was simply a natural barrier caused by their own powerful use of the lesser, primal brain, Xavier wasn't sure.

He listened with roaming attention as Victor continued, telling them of the time that Team X had been assigned to enter Russia in order to face the mutant communist agent known as Omega Red. The team had been dispatched to find him and send him back into forced hibernation. "But our cohesiveness as a team was unraveling," Victor told him. "Team X had --- well, we had our share of contention, even dissension, within our own ranks. I certainly didn't help matters any. You could probably say that I caused most of the discord."

"Well, there's a surprise," Scott offered up dryly. Creed looked over at him with a bemused grin and Scott thought to himself that Sabretooth looked just as evil when he smiled as he did when he snarled. Of course, Scott had to weigh his own bias toward that particular observation and, without throwing a barb in return, Victor turned back to address Charles.

"The friendship between me and Logan was slowly and systematically being erased from Wolverine's mind, and I ---" Victor paused for a moment, looking around the room at the few X-Men in attendance before looking back to Charles again. "I felt betrayed," Victor admitted, then took a sip of the warm liquid in his glass. "My sense of betrayal rose with every mission, helpless to do anything but watch as Logan was slowly turned against me. I know it wasn't his fault, but ---"

"But you still felt as though Logan abandoned you and your friendship," Charles nodded with understanding.

"Yes," Vic replied, his voice hoarse with the single word. He went quiet and Charles waited. The thousand yard stare of someone lost in thought appeared on Victor's face and he spoke as if from a time long forgotten. His tone was quiet with the nostalgic memories as he continued. "Logan had been the only true friend I can remember ever having... and they systematically took that away from me and erased it from existence. The more he forgot about me, about the friendship we had shared, and the more he denied that we ever were friends, the angrier I got and the dynamics of Team X became more and more volatile.

"My anger and resentment was released on that mission to Russia. I'd lost control... or perhaps I simply didn't care anymore. But as far as Logan was concerned, Victor Creed proved himself to be a cold and heartless killer. He saw me as an operative of despicable proportions who was more than willing to sell out his teammates, even kill them or leave them behind in the hands of the enemy, in order to save himself and to preserve the mission.
"Following the Moscow mission we were sent into East Germany to uncover a spy and retrieve a top secret data disc. That particular mission was one of the biggest failures we'd had up to that point," Victor told them. "The mission was continuously derailed by every conceivable issue a covert unit could expect to face; from double agents and counter-spy organizations, right down to trust and loyalty issues amongst our own team. I certainly didn't help matters and by then I had allowed my anger to manifest against the wrong person. I hated Logan for his betrayal and for abandoning our friendship."

"But you do realize that the changes in him were not conceived, nor achieved, by his own choosing ---," Charles reminded Creed.

"Of course," Victor replied. "But back then... I was young. I was being dismissed and scorned by someone I'd..."

"By someone you'd come to care about," the professor finished for him. Victor sat there for a moment, staring at the edge of the table in front of him. It took him a moment to gather the answer in his mind and to verbalize it.

"Yes," he whispered. "But by then the handlers had doubts about their ability to control Wolverine and to keep him under control. So they recruited me to be their observer... their surveyor if you will. My orders were to supervise and oversee all of Logan's activities, even to evaluate his mindset at any given time; "for the purpose of ascertaining his condition, value, and usefulness as a sleeper agent"," Creed described and then shifted himself forward in the chair, placing his glass on the table.
"Anyway, as the team fled East Germany we had a defecting female scientist with us and little by little I realized that Wolverine was regaining control of some of his memories and was becoming verbally rebellious toward our employers and the tasks they'd put before us. So, as I was directed to do, I executed the woman in cold blood right in front of him. I'd been ordered to kill her - her and any other available female targets, "as deemed necessary", if or when Wolverine ever broke free of his masters' control."

That information got a murmur of reaction from the surrounding X-Men, some shifting their positions as the shock of his admittance struck them. "Was this a woman Logan had feelings for?" Charles asked, concerned.

"No," Creed replied, "but those in charge knew that Logan had always held women in high regard. He always seemed to take their safety and protection upon himself, like a self-appointed guardian. If they were even treated disrespectfully he seemed to take it as his personal duty to defend their honor. The government wanted to control him... by any means necessary. By ordering such an action, their intention was to simply show Logan that whenever he refused to be kept on a tight leash, or to do as he was told, "pretty things would die"."

"And I'm sure you carried out your orders without any qualms of conscience," Scott jabbed at him again. Victor looked over at the X-Men's field leader and narrowed his eyes, his nostrils flared slightly as Cyclops hit a nerve.

"I did what I was told to do. I was a good soldier. I am a good soldier," Victor snarled back at Scott. Then he thought about that statement a bit more deeply before confessing, "Plus I was angry at Logan and wanted him to feel the pain that I felt. I wanted him to feel that sense of loss."

"But you are aware that it was the handlers who had turned Logan against you... and in turn, had turned you against Logan," Xavier offered carefully.

"Yes, I do now. But back then, I just wanted him to hurt."

"The way you were hurting ---"

Victor's eyes sprang up from where he'd been staring down at the table, realizing the professor was trying to lead him into an emotionally vulnerable corner. He had to stay focused here and the focus was not him or his feelings. The focus was to get Wolverine as far away from Wraith's grasp as possible, as quickly as possible. Vic met the professor's gaze, holding it for a few moments, and then continued without acknowledging the suggestion.

"Anyway, we completed the Berlin mission with the team barely making it to the extraction zone in one piece. Logan took a number of hits as he brought up the rear, watching our six as we ran for the designated extraction point. Wraith was our extraction man and he nearly showed up too late to get us out... again. We took hits we shouldn't have taken, but that was the norm with Wraith as our evac. None of us trusted him, but Logan despised him and resigned from the team shortly after we returned from Berlin.
"Dept. H and Dept. K had no choice then but to close the file on Team X. But they never closed the file on Logan... " Victor told Charles and pierced him with a heavy stare. "After the official disbanding of the team, Logan and I went our separate ways, as did the rest of our teammates. Only we were reunited not long after that, when we were abducted and imprisoned against our will... and officially placed into the original Weapon X Program."

Victor hoped he wasn't dumping too much information on the good professor all at once, but it was time he cleared the air and it was long-past time to shine the light on some very dangerous secrets. He had alot to tell and a short time to tell it.

"To make a long story short.... in their attempts to create super-powered sleeper agents, the project's directors implemented many of the experimental de-patterning techniques of the MKUltra programs, which were being conducted at the time in the U.S. and Canada. You've heard of this? Of course you have," Victor said, answering his own question and that response made Charles pause with the seeming accusation. "A large part of this de-patterning experiment consisted of brainwashing, torture, memory-erasure and false memory implantation."

Victor went on to explain that the implantation of their false memories was performed by a mutant known as The Psi-Borg, who was commissioned by the government and placed under contract specifically for the Weapon X Projects. In exchange for his cooperation he was promised immortality.

"The Psi-Borg had used elaborate movie sets to play out whatever scenarios he was charged to create as memory implants by the project engineers. Using repetitive, and often painful stimuli, these scenarios were repeatedly played back for the test subjects through specially designed equipment, such as helmets and visors."

Scott and Hank threw each other a look. They'd been wondering about the use of those particular objects since finding them in Logan's cell when they rescued him from the compound only a few months ago.

"These implements were strapped to the head in order to impede vision, hearing and other natural stimuli, and thereby was able to facilitate the imprinting of flash images of false events into the victims' memories... our memories."

Creed continued telling the details, as best he could and as quickly as he could, of their days as captives of the Weapon X Program. He told them how, when it was his turn to undergo the process, Sabretooth had been driven mad and ended up killing one of his teammates -- Silver Fox. Creed was well-aware that Wolverine had been in love with Silver Fox, and she with him. In fact, the two were a well-known item... at least, that's the way he remembered it.

Little was ever said regarding the couple's active involvement though, since both were professional agents and didn't allow their personal feelings to interfere with mission objectives. But during Creed's conditioning, and unknown to him, he'd been turned mad in the process and killed Fox, fulfilling the actions of the implanted memory of her murder at Creed's hands that had haunted Logan for years since, and had given birth to the absolute hatred Wolverine held for Sabretooth. Eventually the team escaped the Weapon X compound and went their separate ways and, through the decades, Sabretooth and Wolverine continued their personal mission of vengeance against one another.

* * * *

Hours passed quickly as the man known as Sabretooth recounted years, even decades, of history and his relationship, both good and bad, with the man known as Wolverine. But Logan wasn't the only one of the two who knew the pain of losing the woman he loved.

Many years earlier, Creed had fallen in love with a young and beautiful telepath whom he nicknamed "Birdy". Birdy's particular talent enabled her to tap Sabretooth's brain and ease his bloodlust rage. She gave Victor what he dubbed as "the glow", and it quickly became an addiction for Creed.

Her ability to reach inside his rampaging mind and temper his rage had turned Sabretooth into an almost civilized businessman, while still holding the reputation of a marauder. And it was during that time that Victor's estranged son had discovered his father's identity.

Appalled by the knowledge that he'd been sired by a mutant, Graydon Creed came after Victor. Unable to gain vengeance on Sabretooth he was able to eventually kill his father's lover. Birdy's death, and the sudden withdrawal of "the glow therapy", had driven Sabretooth insane again. Victor had lost all control at that point and Maverick called the X-Men in to help stop his rampaging madness.

To everyone's amazement, Professor Xavier refused to believe Sabretooth was beyond redemption and ordered the team to use only the force necessary to bring him into their custody despite arguments to the contrary. Certain that Creed was crying out for help, Charles chose to take him into the mansion and help him rather than kill him.

In an ironic sense of deja vu, Logan had been vehemently against the taking in of Sabretooth and, like Angel before him, Logan was told he could certainly leave the mansion by his own choice, but Creed would not be sent away. So Logan had opted, much like Warren had in the years previous, to leave his home rather than remain under the same roof with his mortal enemy. But Logan had remained on the estate, opting to live in the forest that surrounded the mansion, rather than leave entirely.

During the weeks that he was kept as a patient/prisoner in the Xavier Institute, Sabretooth constantly goaded the X-Men, taunting and harassing them and testing their patience and discipline. He often begged, and then tried to coerce, Jean Grey into giving him the "glow" that Birdy had used at regular intervals to temper Creed's feral and murderous rages, but Jean always refused to give him his "fix".


* * * *


Now, guarded by Colossus, Iceman and Cyclops as they waited for the X-Men to gather, Victor gave the beautiful red-head a wolfish grin as she entered the library; the memory of those days still fresh in his mind -- including the one night when Wolverine had been left alone to guard him.

Sabretooth had taunted Logan relentlessly that night and, when the moment was right, Creed had slammed himself into the restraining forcefield, pushing his way straight through it. He then dared Logan to go against Xavier's wishes. His orders. Victor had taunted and harassed Logan, daring his former friend to kill him and Wolverine nearly complied, imbedding a single bone claw into Creed's skull and driving the spike through Sabretooth's brain.

Following that particular encounter, Logan was ordered to leave the mansion -- which only served to feed Wolverine's own rage against Sabretooth. Creed had been reduced to a child-like mental state by the traumatic injury and was attended to, and nursed back to health, by various members of the team. He soon recovered though, thanks to his healing factor, and tricked the young girl, Boomer, into releasing him. Warren Worthington III, known then by the codename Archangel, was wounded during Creed's escape from the X-Men, which only served to fuel Warren's own anger and his spite of the two ferals.


* * * *


As the X-Men ventured into the library one by one, so many thoughts, so many memories returned to Victor in a flood of images. It seemed that his entire life was entangled with and around Logan and the X-Men just as much as he'd been involved with Weapon X.

After his escape from the mansion, Sabretooth was finally brought down again by the X-Men and was taken into government custody by Nick Fury. He was fitted with a restraining collar that prevented him from attacking or misbehaving without the government's sanction.

He was then attached to the mutant team called X-Force under duress and under the watchful eye of Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D agency. Eventually, however, Sabretooth adapted to the pain the collar generated in order to keep him under control. After he'd become accustomed to the otherwise paralyzing effects of the electrical shocks, Victor was able to work through the pain and rip the confining collar from his neck. He then hacked and slashed his way through his teammates nearly killing them all.

Victor then rejoined his true employers and took his place in the Hound Program, but soon found himself adversely criticized by his employers and punished for killing his targets instead of simply capturing them as his orders dictated. Then he'd simply disappeared, for quite some time, believed to have gone into hiding or in the employ of some secret underground organization. When he finally and inevitably re-emerged, Sabretooth had been sporting new adamantium-laced bones and claws. He'd also been charged with an extremely accelerated healing factor, making him a much more deadly opponent that now rivaled Wolverine's own natural abilities.

The reason for Victor's new abilities became clear when Logan was abducted by Apocalypse. He'd been forced to fight Sabretooth to see which of the feral mutants would become the next Horseman and Creed ended up losing his newly acquired adamantium when he failed to defeat the Wolverine. Apocalypse siphoned all the metal from Creed's bones and bonded it once again to Wolverine's skeleton. Victor was then abandoned and left for dead, and Wolverine was taken away to be conditioned - through torture and mind-manipulation again - to become the new Horseman, known as Death.

Many months later, Creed was captured by what turned out to be a revamped Weapon X project. He ran some recruiting missions for them, but he appalled most of the agents with his twisted bloodlust. Secretly though, Sabretooth had been gathering information, such as the Project Director's command codes and access to other important resources, which he used even after escaping from the program yet again.

Sabretooth and Wolverine spent the following years being captured and abducted over and over again and eventually escaping the clutches of Weapon X. At one point, Victor Creed set himself up against the organization, beating them to their recruits and killing them in horrible and heinous ways just so they couldn't be used by the government. Worse still, Creed planned to sell the secrets of the Weapon X projects to other countries that were looking to set up their own mutant, super-soldier armies.

Later, he was captured again and forced to become a member of a new, more advanced, version of the Weapon X program where, by means of genetic enhancement, they were able to increase Creed's strength and accelerate his healing factor. Eventually he escaped again and had been operating as a solo agent for a time. After finding himself pursued by a super human group, who called themselves The Children, Creed had found they'd temporarily neutralized his healing factor, and managed to escape his pursuers only to end up at the Xavier Institute again seeking sanctuary.


* * * *


The Professor had never turned him away before and Creed had been certain that he'd be willing to hear him out again this time. He was proven correct, yet again, despite Scott Summers' attempts to keep him at bay outside the main security gates at the estate's entrance. He couldn't blame the boyscout for his unrelenting suspicion, but -- this time he was trying to help. Really.

All of this history with Wolverine, with the X-Men, with Weapon X, rushed back to Victor as he sat in the comfortable Victorian-style chair inside the mansion's library sitting face to face with Professor Xavier himself. Victor's gaze casually rose to the stoic Cyclops standing like a stormtrooper just behind Xavier's chair; his stance was wide, his arms folded tightly across his chest and his jaw was set so hard Victor could see his facial muscles pulsating beneath the pale flesh.

As the last members of the X-Men entered the room, Creed remained seated but alert. His senses easily picked up each person's arrival and their identity, as well as which positions they were taking in the room behind him.

When Logan arrived, hobbling on crutches with Ororo by his side, Victor straightened attentively in the high-backed chair, not having to actually see Wolverine's eyes narrow at the sight of him. He breathed deeply through his nose, scenting the other feral, but aside from turning his head slightly Victor remained seated, facing Charles.

All of the past events he'd mentioned to Xavier as the X-Men listened in, would appear to be unrelated events in history, but each one of them lent themselves to him being here today. Victor answered questions and commented on accusatory remarks as they were thrown out at him, but his focus remained a single-minded purpose -- to escape with Wolverine and try to stay two steps ahead of the military and the Project's directors. There was just too much at stake at this point.

"I still don't understand what you're trying to get at, Sabretooth," Cyclops told him. "What does all of that have to do with here and now?"

Victor raised his eyes from the Professor to Summers, his patience was wearing thin but he continued to hold his temper in check. "All of it has to do with the here and now," Creed explained again. "Their entire focus, for decades, has been to gain total control over Wolverine, and those like him, to use as sleeper agents. Their sole purpose is to find a way to create an unstoppable living weapon, a mutant assassin of undeniable skill and training."

"So you've said already," Scott went on. "What we don't understand is your stake in this. You've been mortal enemies with Wolverine probably longer than the rest of us have been alive."

"That's not true," Victor replied.

"So what's changed?" Scott asked outwardly suspicious and untrusting.

"Nothing's changed. That's what I'm trying to tell you!" he nearly roared. "Me an' Logan used to be friends! We were friends! And then those bastards from Weapon X got their hands on us --- on him. They turned him against me. They know that the only person who could possibly save Wolverine from their clutches... is me. That's why they turned him against me. They gave him memories of --- "

Logan leaned on his crutches, standing beside Ororo near the door, as they listened to Victor's explanation. His face etched with a deep scowl as some of what Creed was saying seemed to ring true in his head, while the memories of the rest were irretrievable by him. Whether that was due to the tampering or due to it being a false statement, Logan couldn't be sure.

"We were never friends," Logan growled out, cutting off Victor's words. Vic turned in his seat to look over at Wolverine, glancing at Storm briefly.

"We were," he insisted calmly. "When you were first recruited into the special ops division, you were young and cocky, but a bit green compared to some of us. You an' me hit it off pretty good. We were the same. See?"

"I am not the same as you," Wolverine growled out low.

"Yes, you are. I'm no different than you. They've just made you believe that. They gave you memories of me - of us - that would ensure your distrust of me."

"Why would they do that?" Logan asked.

"Because I'm dangerous to their plans."

"You're just dangerous."

"I'm not the lunatic they want you all to believe," Creed told them.

"No, you're the lunatic you made us believe in," Scott remarked.

"I know you all feel that way, but ---"

"There is no but, Sabretooth --" Logan shot out.

"My name is Victor. You used to call me Victor."

"Well, news flash, bub, I don't remember that," Logan snarled at him as he hobbled closer on the crutches. Creed slowly stood up and turned to face Wolverine, his eyes sizing him up and trying to determine the extent of the injuries he'd committed against the other Canadian.

"It's true, Logan."

"Victor -- ?" Charles said quietly to bring his attention around and Creed turned to him. "Why are you here now? What is it you're afraid of?" Professor Xavier asked and Victor pinned him with a focused stare.

"Death. That's what I'm afraid of," Creed answered. "And so should you be. They've brainwashed your man -- Angel? Worthington... he's the enemy now."

"So that would put him on the same side as... you?" Logan asked sarcastically.

"No. He's been turned. His codename is The Guardian."

"Cute. The Guardian? Like.... the Guardian Angel?" Logan asked with a touch of sarcasm.

"More like an Angel of Death," Creed corrected.

"Yes, we're well aware of Angel's sudden desire to kill Wolverine," Scott informed him with a dark tone. Creed looked to the visored X-Man, his eyes narrowing -- not in anger but in curiosity.

"Kill Wolverine?" he repeated, not understanding. Shaking his head, Victor told them, "He doesn't want to kill Wolverine. His mission is to capture Wolverine and return him to Weapon X."

"That might be his mission," Scott challenged, stepping around the professor's chair, "but his intentions are to bring death to Wolverine. He said so himself. He said it to my face. "I will bring death to Wolverine and nobody will stop me." Scott echoed the words back to him for all to hear and Victor grinned wryly and shook his head.

"Yeah, he's focused on bringing Death to Wolverine... not killing him. Don't you get it? Death? Big D, not little d... the Horseman, Death. The government and the Weapon X goons got information through an infiltrator at SHIELD headquarters. They have Logan's files. Everything that happened during his time under Apocalypse's control? His programming, his de-programming... what it took to take him down. Death was almost the end of all of us. YOU fought him, you must remember. He almost annihilated the X-Men as Death!

"Can you imagine??" Victor asked with heightened emotion. "The programming of Wolverine, the brainwashing of Weapon X blended with his brainwashing as Death? He'd be the ultimate unstoppable weapon, beyond anything they'd hoped for him as Weapon X alone. You get it now?" Creed explained heatedly. "This mutant assassin they want -- isn't an assassin who happens to be a mutant... although that is part of it. They want him as a mutant assassin. His mission would be to assassinate, extinguish, execute... mutants! That's our stake in this! They get their hands on him again --- we're all dead."

Now they were listening. Shocked into silence, some barely breathing, as the possibility of what Sabretooth had put before them became all too clear. Logan stared at him, his expression was serious and Victor knew that Logan believed what he said. That was one thing about heightened senses, he knew Logan could read his body's signals; his scent, his heart rate, his perspiration level, all of it worked together to tell Wolverine when someone was lying, or when they were telling the truth.

Now Logan swallowed hard, his heart pounded behind his rib cage and fear rose up inside him. Victor stepped closer to him but kept a safe distance. "The Weapon Plus Program was... is... a United States supersoldier program. It was originally created in the 1940s with the sole purpose of creating supersoldiers and assassins; not only to be employed in conventional warfare, but also to be employed for the extermination of mutants. Weapon X was the first installation of the Weapons Plus Program to victimize mutants. Weapon X -- you -- are the first successfully created assassin of mutantkind... and you still have no idea just how dangerous you are to your own people."

Logan remained silent as he looked up at the feral towering over him. Victor simply fell silent and kept his eyes glued to Wolverine's. The two men - once friends, now mortal enemies - simply looked at each other as the information given, and the information taken, was slowly absorbed by everyone in the room.

"We need to go," Victor told him quietly. "Now." Logan lowered his gaze. Unfocused he stared at the Persian rug under their feet, then he raised his eyes to Charles who was looking back at him with his own serious concern darkening his blue eyes.


* * * * * *


Miles away, a military convoy sits idly on the side of a beautiful country lane that leads directly to the Xavier Institute. Standing outside the line of vehicles stood Colonel John Wraith who once went by the codename Kestrel. Some of the troops that accompanied the convoy had taken up stations on the road and along the wooded area as ordered; mainly to give the men something to do and to stretch their legs so they wouldn't be cramped and slow when they reached their intended target.

Wraith was growing impatient though. He wanted to get back on the road, but the doctors were all having a bit of a powwow inside the large silver trailer. He couldn't wait to get his hands on Wolverine and see him contained in that suite. Wraith snarled a bit around the stogie clamped in his teeth as the image of Sabretooth restrained by the shorter feral's side sent an evil bolt of pleasure through his brain.

With a sigh and a rather loud huff, Wraith spun around and marched to the trailer's door. He didn't open it or even knock, instead he tilted his head and pressed his ear to the metallic siding. He could hear an ongoing conversation still in full swing and his shoulders deflated a bit, realizing they wouldn't be leaving this spot too soon. But he was taken a bit by surprise that he actually found what was being said inside the private sanctum to be of interest.


* * * * * *


"We've been successful in developing a new method for the study and control of the cerebral functioning in both animals and humans," the professor mentioned vaguely in the continuing conversation.

"And what exactly would that method entail, Dr. Maier?" Dr. Todd Phillips inquired, finally speaking up from his place within the new group.

"Well, we've been extremely successful in getting the subject to obey detailed commands, even from great distances, by electrically stimulating certain regions of the brain. Using radio signals set at certain frequencies we can stimulate synaptic receptors in order to achieve a specified reaction from the subject," Maier explained. "Through many years of trial and error, the successors of Professor Eichmann's work have successfully implanted bundles of fine wires and receptors to specific areas of the brain into which we can transmit those frequencies."

"And what exactly would be the precise purpose of such an invasive procedure, Doctor?" Roger asked.

"The purpose, Dr. Lindsay, was to gain complete physical control over the subject's mind. We've succeeded in many of these areas with our mongrel - codenamed Prince for our purposes - as well as some of his fellow mutants, like The Guardian here. Our hope was that someday, perhaps, this application might prove successful in directing entire armies."

"But it sounds like an incredibly delicate procedure."

"It has proven to be in some cases, yes," Dr. Maier freely admitted. "In fact it has proven fatal in many cases where the subjects simply could not withstand the intensity of psycho-surgical procedures. However, it is not a complex process any longer, Doctors. Now we can simply use certain frequencies, through radio transmission, to produce stimulation of the brain activity.
"Although Prince had been implanted decades ago with receiver chips that lie deep within his brain tissues, that particular invasive procedure is no longer needed. Now all we do is place the subject under hypnosis and mentally program them to maintain the determination to perform a specific act. They are of a single focus until that act is completed. With a low-profile muscle stimulating chip implanted beneath the skin, a simple radio transmission can activate the implant to stimulate the specific muscle that has been designated to activate the specific command function."

"Wait a second. Hasn't science already established that it's impossible to hypnotize a person to commit an act that he wouldn't commit when consciously aware?" asked Roger as he studied a small bundle of silica-like wires.

"Ahhh, yes. That may be true, Dr. Lindsay, but we've also come to the conclusion that you can induce a man to commit an act that may be contrary to his own sense of morality if enough distortion can be placed on his reality," Maier explained.

"Meaning?"

"Imagine, if you will," Dr. Maier went on to explain, "giving a man the suggestion that, while sitting across from his best friend during lunch, he should kill the friend if the man picks up his fork. He wouldn't do this, now would he? Most likely not. Now... distort his reality and give him the suggestion that the man sitting across from him is his enemy who will attempt to kill him with a fork. Tell him to defend himself, to kill or be killed, and he will kill the same man, but in a distorted sense of reality."

"Oh my God.This is Manchurian Candidate type of stuff you're talking about here," Lindsay commented incredulously.

"Well, one of the behavioral modification pilot programs, referred to as Project ARTICHOKE, along with another called BLUEBIRD, did involve the systematic and detailed creation of specific amnesia barriers, as well as new identities as we see in this subject," Maier explained, indicating Warren who sat before them focusing straight ahead, back straight and body rigid. "We can hypnotically implant codes and triggers that will result in the required behavior or action, even from great distances, simply by the use of suggestion."

"That's incredible," Dr. Russ remarked as she studied Warren with morbid interest.

"It is indeed," Maier agreed as he stepped closer to her to admire one of his greatest accomplishments. Cupping his hand around Warren's jaw, he raised the man's chin to look him in the eyes. The usually bright blue eyes of the Angel seemed dead; lifeless and unfeeling. The professor smiled, well-pleased.

"What you're describing is a deliberate and forced dissociation of self." Dr. Lindsay realized, turning a frown on Dr. Maier.

"It is," Dr. Maier agreed. "The experiments conducted under the codenames BLUEBIRD and ARTICHOKE were instrumental in our successes in this field. Our subjects have clearly demonstrated that they have the ability to pass from a fully awake state into a deep hypnotically controlled state with the use of the most subtle signals.
"A telephone ringing, reading a written message, hearing a specific word or a certain piece of music, a simple gesture... anything that can be imagined can be used as a trigger.
"Even the most subtle signals can be used that cannot be detected by other people in the room and quite often without other individuals being able to even note any changes in the subject's overt behavior.
"The best part is that the control of these subjects can be passed along from one person to another quite easily. So we no longer have the need to train specific handlers to control these subjects as we did in the past."

"And what happens to these subjects once their services are no longer needed?" Roger asked casually as he let his eyes scan the multitude of dials and gauges on the unfamiliar consoles that surrounded the group inside the trailer. He felt repulsed by what he was hearing, but he controlled his emotions realizing he and the others with him were into something that could turn out to be quite dangerous; as Dr. Carlton had found out but would never realize.

So Lindsay feigned sincere interest, but allowed his skepticism to show through just enough to allow himself some leeway to ask for specific proofs of the doctor's claims. He hoped that by adopting this stance he could become a trusted member of Maier's team and achieve enough freedom within the projects to do some snooping of his own. His admitted and openly skeptical attitude about the veracity of their accomplishments would allow him to seek that proof through detailed explanations or written documents. And by learning as much as he could, Lindsay hoped he could be of some benefit to the unwitting souls who found themselves trapped and held captive within the government's torture cells.

"If you're asking how we dispose of the subjects once their usefulness no longer exists --" Maier remarked and Dr. Lindsay turned toward him.

"I am."

"Well, that particular problem had been addressed repeatedly in the past. Several recommendations were made in favor of performing lobotomies on retired subjects. This would, of course, give us a permanent solution that would ensure the security of any information or knowledge they might have gathered in their careers."

Lindsay nodded, although the thought of performing such a drastic procedure on an otherwise viable human being made his stomach turn over. It was true that such an operation would work in their favor and it was that fact that gained the nod of affirmation, not that he was in favor of it as a solution.

"However," Dr. Godin interjected from his chair in front of the console, "those suggestions were ultimately rejected as too unethical and too great a risk for negative publicity for the projects if that knowledge were ever brought to the public's awareness." He spoke without turning from his work as he continued to record information that showed itself on the various monitors in front of him. The machines were connected to Angel by electronic monitoring systems that had been applied to his neck, cheeks, temples and scalp.

"Unethical? Interesting summation, considering the field of your endeavors. Wouldn't you say, Professor?" Lindsay asked with a bemused smirk, turning back to Maier again, who simply smiled at the younger man. He too could see the irony, if not the very hypocrisy of such moral judgements coming from the very people involved with the creation and funding of such barbaric and often sadistic experiments.
"The amnesiac barriers you mentioned; are you able to create amnesiac episodes simply by the use of hypnosis?" Lindsay asked as if enthralled with the aspects of the work being offered to him and his colleagues.

"Yes, we can. But hypnosis is not our only method for creating controlled and sustainable amnesia. Drugs, sound waves, magnetic fields, electro-shock, sleep deprivation and solitary confinement are a few of our preferred methods. Some of our subjects respond better to one method over another. Like our mongrel out there... he doesn't respond appropriately to mind-altering drugs without focused invasive tactics."

"Such as?"

"Oh ---" Maier thought for a moment, then let out an exasperated sigh as he recalled the numerous problems that arose with the mongrel mutant's conditioning. "The use of a power suppression collar, for instance, in order to test the subject's subjugation with psychochemical agents."

"Because of his regenerative abilities? He's able to - what? - kick the substance from his system?"

"Exactly. So, in order to successfully control this particular subject, we've had to resort to manipulative techniques that would make even the strongest amongst us cringe." Lindsay could only imagine the horrors that statement conjured up and he simply blinked at the professor thoughtfully, realizing that he was actually unable to respond. He listened as closely as he could as the senior scientist continued. "We also have the ability to guarantee amnesia for a specific period of time by using hypnosis in conjunction with electric shock. We can even reduce the subject to a vegetative state through electro-shock treatments. And, to top it all off, we can guarantee total amnesia of the very knowledge that the treatment was even performed by using convulsive shock therapy."

"Convulsive shock --?" Lindsay was aghast and barely able to contain his absolute disgust at the evidence of the inhumane treatment put upon unwilling American and Canadian citizens for the selfish goals of greedy, power mongering government officials.

"Yes, convulsive," Maier affirmed. "So, as you see, Doctor, we've proven without a doubt, that these individuals can be induced into a hypnotic state by extremely subtle means; whether by telephone, by receiving written matter, or by the use of a code, a signal, or specific words. And, the control of these hypnotized subjects can be passed from one individual to another without great difficulty. They've even shown to have been successfully conditioned and re-programmed to the point where they believe their own change in identity to be the truth even on a polygraph test.”

"Experimentally created Dissociative Identity Disorder? You're purposely creating multiple personalities within the test subjects," Roger concluded in astonishment.

"Yes, we are. That's what we do," Devan Maier affirmed matter-of-factly.

"How?" Dr. Russ wanted to know. Roger Lindsay looked at her, concerned about her level of intrigue and couldn't help the sense he got from her that she'd be literally drooling over this opportunity if she could. But, to his surprise, it wasn't Maier who answered her question.

"To produce beneficial dissociative effects from torture activity, the torture itself must be administered tri-fold - publicly, deliberately and repeatedly," Dr. Godin added. His own knowledge of the torture sequences involved in making prime candidates, for the governments that have contracted him and his fellows into service, was more limited hands-on experience than some of the others who worked there, but he could certainly convey the information in a very impersonal manner. "Quite often the torture activity is required to be sadistic and, even when sexually focused, must be performed with undisguised pleasure by the administrator of the torture. That is not to say that the action should bring sexual pleasure to the torturer, but pleasure to the ego as it experiences the very power of the act they are performing, that is what I am referring to.
"Only when the subject feels totally helpless and at the mercy of someone who is obviously without mercy, that is when we achieve the all-encompassing, even pervasive, long-lived, and, frequently, irreversible effects of torture."

"And it is in that way, that the torture victim's own body is rendered his worst enemy. We use it against him. Correct?" Dr. Russ asked with a hint of sadistic interest and smiled again in light of the revelation.

"We do not refer to the subjects as "victims", Dr. Russ... ever," Dr. Maier corrected. "They are simply subjects appropriated for the use in experimental testing sanctioned by the government. We do not give thought to them as living creatures other than to note and record the effects of our experiments on their mental and physical beings. Understood?" Maier informed her and pinned her with a dark stare.

"Absolutely, Professor. My mistake," Dr. Russ smiled back and tilted her head forward in respect and acknowledgement. "I apologize, Dr. Godin, please go on. I find this most interesting indeed."

"What you need to realize and remember is that the conditioning and re-programming of these subjects is dependent on the procedures themselves resulting in corporeal agony that compels the subject's ego to mutate," Dr. Godin explained. Then he swiveled around in the tall chair bolted to the trailer floor and slid off the seat. He stepped over to Warren and adjusted a lead on his temple and re-positioned one to the back of his skull, never derailing from his train of thought.
"His identity should slowly shatter and fragment, while at the same time, his ideals, morals and principles crumble like ashened embers." Godin then turned and went back to the console, pushed a few buttons and picked up his clipboard again.
"The most amazing nuance of torture, in my humble opinion, is the realization that the subject's own body becomes an accomplice of the tormentor. It can become a channel of unending communication between the administrator of the torture set and the subject, and the subject himself becomes a vessel of pain; his body becomes a treasonous, poisoned territory that he cannot escape."

"Indeed," Maier nodded, confirming the veracity of Godin's explanation. "The wracked body and mind of the subject fosters an intense dependency of the subject to the administrator; a humiliating dependency, I'm sure, but it is a humiliation that is registered only somewhere deep within the lower reaches of the subject's mind."

"Aside from the painful applications of this torture, I'm assuming that their bodily needs are also denied in order to accomplish most of these results? I mean, not all of your techniques need to be so aggressive, right?" Dr. Lindsay asked, in order to clarify the exact modes they used in their more passive/aggressive techniques.

"Yes... of course," Devan replied, turning his suspicious gaze on Roger. "Sleep, food, water, toilet, even freedom of movement eventually become things that induce fear, and are wrongly perceived by the subject as the direct causes of his degradation and dehumanization. The begin to fear closing their eyes to sleep, even though we give them every opportunity to rest. They become nearly frozen in fear, unable to produce the swallow reflex due to subconscious signals that the reward is unwarranted and therefore they are physically unable to take in nourishment. I don't think I need to actually explain the vulnerabilities naturally inherent in simply using the toilet, do I? They will even learn to not breathe for great lengths of time... for the terror associated with movement freezes their lungs, since movement is what draws attention, it is one of the first defensive mechanisms the subjects adopt."

"So, eventually, as the victim sees it, he is rendered into a bestial state, not necessarily by the sadistic bullies around him but by his own flesh," Dr. Lindsay boldly and deliberately slipped in his wording and Maier whirled on him.

"Who are you calling a sadistic bully??" he nearly roared. Veins popped out in his neck and forehead as his rage skyrocketed. "We conduct established experiments that include pain and discomfort to achieve our goals!! And they are not victims!! They are test subjects!!"

"My apologies, Professor. I should keep a tighter rein on my tongue," Lindsay lamented as he took note of the scientist's reaction. He watched the other man closely, as if he was a test subject in his own experiment. Roger did, however, keep tight control of the smile of satisfaction that wanted to bloom on his face. That would've gotten him killed, he was sure.

"Torture can often be reinforced with an application of the same sets done to kin and kith or even to colleagues. Simply the threat of having the same terrors put upon those the subject cares about is enough to induce the psychotic response we're looking for. The reason for this action is that it's intended to disrupt the continuity of the subject's surroundings, their habits, even their appearance and relationships with others.
"As you know, Doctors, a cohesive sense of self, and a solid indentification with that self, is crucially dependent on the familiar and the continuity of the familiar in our lives," Professor Maier explained as if actually lecturing a class on the basics of Torture 101.
"By attacking and disrupting both; one's biological body and one's social body, the subject's psyche becomes strained, and that amount of emotional and psychological stress brings the subject to the point of dissociation. The mind has no choice. It's perspective of self has no identification with anything or anyone around it. It's as if it floats disconnected in space, ready to be molded, to be "created" in another's image."

"I understand this concept," Dr. Russ mentioned as she turned away from her scrutiny of the trance-like state of The Guardian. She let her fingertips draw themselves down Warren's jawline in an almost tender caress and Lindsay nearly snarled at the hypocrisy of her touch. "By isolating the subject from all that is, or once was, familiar to him, a gap between "I" and "me" widens, and the dissociation increases, and in so doing increases the sense of alienation."

"Exactly!" Maier complimented her. "The subject, under torture, is forced into a position of pure object and loses his sense of individuality, his sense of privacy from the world at large and his sense of intimacy with those around him.
"They experience time in the now, in the present only, because it becomes all they have. And in that respect, their perspective of the world; which normally allows for a sense of relativity to things around them, is disrupted until it no longer holds a sense of reality.
"Thoughts and dreams attack the mind and invade the body. Nightmares and terror thoughts become their existence... and we become their salvation. We can make the pain go away, we can give the reward of peace and pleasure. We become ---"

"-- their master." Lindsay drolled out.

Dr. Maier grinned evilly and nodded. "We take from the subject the most basic modes of relating to reality and that, becomes the equivalent of cognitive death. We warp their sense of space and time by implementing sleep deprivation.
"The identification of self is shattered. The subject ends up with nothing familiar to hold on to: no family, no home, no personal belongings, no loved ones, no language, no history, no name."
The Professor moved across the small open space to regard his work closely, staring into the unfocused gaze of the man who was once a loyal supporter of Charles Xavier. Charles Xavier --- the progeny of Professor Brian Xavier,' Dr. Maier smiled at the irony and then snapped himself back to the present discussion.
"Gradually, they lose their mental resilience and sense of freedom. They feel alien, not only to themselves but to the world around them; unable to communicate or relate to others, and unable to attach themselves or empathize with others as human beings."

"So, how is it that they become dependent on their abuser if they no longer can relate to others?" The young Dr. Garra asked, not quite able to follow the topic's acceleration from one area to another. Up to now he'd remained silent, listening, having been a bit overwhelmed by their circumstances and opted to allow his colleague Lindsay to do most of the talking. Now he found himself numbly curious as well. The Professor raised an eyebrow, quirking a grin, again pleased, as the new voice spoke out from the group.

"Deprived of contact with others, the subject eventually becomes starved for human interaction. With that outward interaction denied to them, the prey bonds with the predator as it were. It's referred to as "traumatic bonding", not unlike the Stockholm Syndrome. As strange as it may sound, it is a bonding that centers itself around hope and a search for meaning in the brutal and indifferent, nightmarish universe of the torture cell. What you need to wrap your head around - all of you - is that torture in itself is the ultimate act in perverted intimacy."

"Intimacy?" Dr. Garra asked incredulously.

"Yes, absolutely -- intimacy," Maier confirmed. "We invade the subject's body, we pervade his psyche and possess his mind. One's body is like a temple; it's a familiar territory where one expects certain reactions and responses and recognizes the effects of a multitude of sensory input. It is the one place in which one's privacy, intimacy, integrity and inviolability are guaranteed... normally.
"Torture is considered by most to be an obscenity, in that it joins what is most private with what is most public. The administrator of the torturous acts invades, defiles and desecrates this shrine... repeatedly. He breaks it down and makes it something once worshipped into something now repulsive to the subject.
"Torture takes all the isolation and intimate solitude of privacy and twists it into an unrecognizable thing with none of the usual security that normally accompanies this type of voluntary isolation. At the same time, it entails all the self-exposure of the utterly public without any of the possibilities for friendship or camaraderie. Even the chance to find someone to have the shared experience with is non-existent."

"Strange that you would actually use the word "obscenity" to describe what it is you do," Lindsay challenged carefully.

"I only use it in the degree that others, those who wouldn't understand the important work we're trying to accomplish here, would use. So we'll keep with that word as a sort of "nod" if you will to those who would oppose us. Shall we?" Maier offered with an almost pleasing grin.

"Oh, absolutely," Roger agreed whole-heartedly. "Obscenity works for me."

"Right, there you are then," Maier went on. "A further obscenity of torture is that it turns intimate human relationships inward." Dr. Lindsay cocked his head slightly with an expression that conveyed his lack of understanding in that sentence. Dr. Maier gave him a single nod of acknowledgement and proceeded to explain in more detail. "The interrogation, for example, is a form of social encounter in which the normal rules of communicating, of relating to another human being, and the intimacy of such communication and relation are manipulated by the interrogator.
"Dependency is elicited by the interrogator, by withholding what the subject needs in order to gain that which he is looking for, whether it be a specific act or information. But he doesn't create dependency in order to meet those needs in a close relationship to the subject. No, he does this to weaken and confuse the one being interrogated. The independence and often the freedom offered in return for the information is a 'betrayal'.
"It is a lie in that the interrogator has no intention of fulfilling the subject's needs.
"And the subject's silence is intentionally misinterpreted by the interrogator as either confirmation of information or as guilt. This intentional misinterpretation causes stress on the subject as he realizes he's damned if he does, and he's damned if he doesn't.
"Our torture techniques combine repeated instances of complete humiliating exposure with the devastation of utter isolation. The outcome, as you will see... the final product of the Weapon X Program, is a scarred and often shattered individual."

"In essence," Dr. Lindsay dared, "he becomes an empty shell."

"Yes, in essence, he does."

"An empty display that ends up being the result of your false power," Roger challenged again and his colleague Dr. Garra spun around with wide eyes to stare at him. His shaking hands came up to grip Lindsay's elbow, silently begging him to stop his line of commentary before he got himself killed.

But Maier didn't pull his pistol, he simply regarded Lindsay with an interested stare and then smiled, amused. "Hardly a false power, Doctor, I assure you. It appears to be a fictional power, I'm sure, while looking upon an emptied vessel.... but once we begin to mold that creation into that which we desire... to accomplish that, takes immense power and a constitution made of iron."

Dr. Russ looked at her fellow recruits with her own bemused grin. She wasn't entirely sure what Roger's issues were with this intriguing experimental program for she couldn't wait to get started herself; already dreaming of the day when she would be honored with the privilege of conducting her own experimental testing on future super-soldiers.

"The subject gradually becomes obsessed by his endless re-occurring thoughts of the torture and of his non-existent station in life, of his worthlessness and subjugation at the hands of others.
"He is demented by pain and the continuous sleeplessness of an unnatural insomnia. The subject systematically regresses, shedding all but the most primitive defense mechanisms. "His psyche begins to split, and he throws off his sense of ego as a worldly creature and turns that into a Projective Identification. He begins to incorporate the characteristics of a being or object that is so desired by the administrator. Even while the ego fights for its own survival, it also tries to fend off future attacks by becoming a reflection of the administrator. It becomes an unknowing accomplice in its own destruction.
"The inconsistency that the subject eventually exhibits, because of this duality of defense, between the beliefs he holds - or between his actions and beliefs - produces a cacophony of internal arguments within his own psyche.
"The subject is eventually seen as a walking contradiction of feelings, thoughts, actions and beliefs and he will eventually construct an alternative world that only he sees or believes exists. A world detached from our reality because he is detached from what we know to be reality. The subject will also often suffer from depersonalization and derealization, along with hallucinations, delusions, and psychotic episodes."

"He becomes totally dehumanized," Roger concluded, his eyes like daggers, pinning Maier.

"He becomes a being existing in an altered state of consciousness, he regresses to a primitive state, he becomes... an animal," Maier confirmed with a nod.

"My God --- " Lindsay muttered breathlessly and Maier gave a genuine smile.

"Not quite," The Professor replied with a small smile. "Well... not quite yet anyway."


_________ ____________ ____________ _____________ _____________


TBC.... "The Pursuit of Weapon X"



Ref: http://www.wanttoknow.info/bluebird10pg





You must login () to review.