Ororo's POV


You’ve finally got the job your husband never wanted you to have, and you feel proud. It’s been two years, the best two years of your life, you realize you’ve never been so happy, though you still have the nightmares that one day he’ll walk back into your life and take away your daughter, even though that’s impossible because he’s dead..

It seems strange that you spoke to him only days before, because Professor Xavier didn’t tell you that he also worked on campus, maybe it was because he was in the P:E department and you were History, he didn’t think your paths would cross.

They did however and the whole five minutes he was with you he still tried to dominate you, acting as if you were his, you cried in the privacy of your own office afterwards, but when you found out he’d died because of a car accident, you couldn’t help the relief that washed over you.

You get home one afternoon, and your daughter is doing homework and Mrs. Summers from next door is drinking coffee, you greet her and thank her for looking after your little Gracie, and apologize for being late, even though Jean is used to you being late these days, she doesn’t seem to mind at all. You kiss Grace on the cheek as Mrs. Summers says her goodbyes; you ask your daughter if she’s eaten, she hasn’t. You make up a quick pasta dish, and you eat and listen to her as she talks of school.

“Can I have someone over on Friday, mom?” she asks you, her eyes are begging you to say yes, you put a hand on your chin and look like your thinking about it before answering her.

“Sure sweetie, who did you have in mind, Kitty, Jubilee?” you ask her politely, she smiles at you and you know she’s going to surprise you, all her school friends are female, and you blame yourself in some way for that, she has her share of nightmare too.

“No,” she laughed scooping up more pasta on her fork, “his names Jamie, he’s older than me by a year, but that’s expected since I was moved up an all.” she says, you can only nod, your impressed, a boy friend, or rather a friend that’s a boy. You tell her its fine and once she’s cleared her plate she can call him, and make arrangements.

She tells you later on that Jamie’s like her, the child of a single parent, she never said which parent he lived with, but you don’t care, it’s nice that she’s meeting people that have divorced parents, her other friends are all part of the perfect family or so she tells you, even though you know that Jubilee’s adopted.

So Friday comes and your nervous, it’s the first time you little girls brought a boy home from school, and one that you know nothing about, and you hate that, you’re a person that hates big surprises, a person that loves the facts, even when it comes down to your daughters friends, not that you’re over protective or anything…

After a while you learn to relax, he’s a nice kid, polite and has good manners, he’s not shy but not loud either, you like him, but Grace likes him more, he’s charming.

The door bell rings and its followed by a knock, Grace is in her room, and you have Frank Sinatra bursting out of the stereo, and the fact that you’ve just showered, and you are frantically trying to dry your shoulder length hair, in a rush to get to the door you didn’t dry yourself properly so your silk pajama pants are sticking to your legs and the white t-shirt is hugging your wet breasts, but you don’t realized until the doors open and the cold breeze hits you nipples.

You look at the man on the porch and you get the impression that you’ve seen him before somewhere; he obviously thinks the same thing, as his expression mirrors that of your own, you turn back into the house leaving the door open for him to follow and you ruffle up your hair even more trying to dry it with the damp towel. You walk to the bottom of the stairs and call up to the kids.

“Grace, Jamie’s dad’s here to take him home.” You stand there for a while and look down at your chest, your eyes widen as you see that your top has grown see through.

“’K” she shouts down the stairs, and you move into the downstairs bathroom rummaging through the draws to find a spare t-shirt, but all you find is a sand colored tank-top, you shrug and pull off the damp shirt after checking the door, and change into the dry top. Pulling your hair out of the neck line as you enter the kitchen to find him standing in the hall way. You offer him coffee but he declines, and you wish he hadn’t, because you want him to stay longer though you don’t know why.

Grace appears in the door way ten minutes later saying Jamie’s just using the restroom, you nod and ask her if she wants a drink, she jokingly asks for a beer, you respond by offering her orange juice and she takes it, also asking if there was any blue jell-O left over from dinner, you shake your head ‘no’ and she looks at you knowing that you ate the last of it, she’s about to say something but Jamie interrupts by saying hello to his dad, who you forgot about until that moment.

They leave and Grace looks at you and asks you what you thought of the boy, you say that he was nice, and she answers you by saying “He’s nice?” you laugh at this and tell her Jamie isn’t your type and then you comment on how his father is an entirely different story, and you both laugh.

You ask her then what Jamie’s surname was because his dad look familiar, she replies by saying Howlett, and all evening you puzzle over that name until the time you get into bed that it hits you.

You work with the guy.



TBC...





You must login () to review.