Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter is named after the Evanescence song it's based off of. Will be like this for the next few chapters.
Scream for me..."

A hand around her throat; dark amber eyes boring into hers. Weight holding her down, defenseless; threatening to smother her, overwhelm her.

Pain- so unbearable, so merciless- in her arms and legs.

Trouble breathing...

X

Storm gasped. and shot up in her bed. Thunder crashed outside of her window. Great, she thought bitterly. Just what I need. Wake up the entire mansion.

After taking several breaths, she felt relaxed enough to try and go back to sleep. At the corner's of her mind, though, she could still see those amber eyes.

X

The next morning, Storm ate breakfast by herself. She didn't really want any company. She just wanted to get through the day, and hope that no one will ask any questions about the day before.

As she got up from the table, pain flared up in her right ankle, and her lower back."I just want you to know, I want to be your Romeo. Hey Juliet. Hey Juliet." Hawk came in just then. Storm saw as she stopped near her, that she was listening to 'Juliet' by LMNT. Hawk paused the music and took out the ear buds. She looked down at Storm's ankle, then back up at her.

"Twist your ankle, Storm?"

Storm nodded as the pain subsided.

"How'd you do that? It was fine yesterday."

Everything was fine yesterday, Storm thought bitterly. "Must've fallen on my way home yesterday."

Hawk looked as if she didn't believe a word Storm was saying. "Fine." Nope, didn't believe her. "You going into the Danger Room today?"

Storm shook her head. Hawk shrugged, then continued on her way to where she was going, playing a totally different song. "I lie here, paralytic..."

Storm sighed. This was going to be a long day.

X

Alison, Hawk, Rogue, and Kitty were in one of the common rooms after their classes. They were playing a game of pool, Hawk and Alison on one team, Rogue and Kitty on another. Logan overlooked them while he watched the news for anything on Magneto. There was a loud cheer from Hawk and Alison. Apparently they had won. "Rematch!" Kitty called.

"Did anyone else notice Storm's strange behavior during class today?" Hawk asked, setting up the balls. "I'll break."

"Yeah," Rogue said as Hawk broke the balls, getting in two solids. "She kept staring off into the distance while she was talking, and wouldn't even look at us sometimes."

"And the quiz she gave us," Kitty added, "I purposely marked two answers wrong, and she said they were right."

"Did you guys see the way she snapped at Jubilee?" Alison asked. "I almost thought a hurricane was going to blow through."

"Hey!" Hawk exclaimed mockingly. "No Florida jokes."

The girls giggled. "Seriously though, guys," Rogue said. "I mean, she acts all normal to the point where I almost believe her, but then she just gets p-" Hawk gave her a warning look. "I mean ticked, for absolutely no reason."

Hawk shushed them when there was the sound of footsteps from the staircase. Logan knew it was Storm, he scent was unmistakable. "What are you girls doing?" she asked.

"Playing pool," Hawk replied.

"Don't you four have homework?"

The girls sighed, put down their sticks and went up to their rooms. Peter, Bobby, Warren, and Artie took over. Storm went over to the couch where Logan sat. "Any news on the Brotherhood?"

Logan shook his head. "Nothin' out of the ordinary." He clicked the remote to turn the TV off. "I wonder where metal-head is hiding this time."

Storm shrugged. Logan turned to look at her, and saw that her eyes were distant. "Storm..." he said, reaching out for her hand. She flinched at his touch, and he recoiled his hand automatically as the air grew charged. The boys made a run for it for. Thankfully, this reaction lasted for only a second, and the air grew calm again as she relaxed. "What was that for, 'Ro?"

"Nothing," Storm replied. "You just startled me that's all."

Logan looked at her skeptically. She made it sound convincing, but there was something in the way she said it that made him think otherwise. Then he remembered the conversation he had with Hawk last night, and what the girls were discussing earlier. "The masquerade's begun..."

"She acts all normal to the point where I almost believe her, but then she just gets ticked, for absolutely no reason..."

Bringing himself back to the present he turned back to Storm. "Are you sure that's all?"

"Yes," Storm snapped. Logan backed off. It was not wise for people to get on her bad side. He'd seen it one too many times.

"Is it safe to come back in?" Warren asked tentatively.

"Yes, boys," Storm said getting up to leave. Logan just watched her go, wondering what had ruffled her hair?

X

Storm went up to her room and sat on a nearby chair. First her thunder, now she reacts to the slightest touch from someone. Sometimes being a weather goddess wasn't the best thing in the world. She really couldn't see how she could act so normal with all that happened. She sighed. She had thought of New York as a safe haven. This mansion, a safe place. Now, she realized that there was no such thing as a completely safe place.

She almost gave a bitter laugh. If only Sabretooth could see her now. Did he have any shame at all, for what he did to her? Probably not. He would probably laugh at her now. For now though, she at least thought she had fooled everyone about yesterday. But for how long?

X

Storm didn't know how long she had been sitting there, but eventually, she drifted off to sleep...

X

Everyone was pointing at her as she floated down. Some even bowing to her as she walked by.

The days in Africa; when she had been worshiped as a Goddess. People staring in awe as she walked

past- in awe of her ability to control the weather. The good days.

Then the dream was smashed into a nightmare.

Sabretooth came out of nowhere, ruining the wonderful pictures of her life...

X

Storm bolted up in her bed- not really knowing how she got into bed. This time, there wasn't thunder. It was just a dream, Storm thought, relieved. Those days in Africa had been the best and worst days of her life. The days when she had-unknowingly- pretended to be a Goddess, and try to help a tribe in Kenya. Now she knew that she wasn't a Goddess, and the weather had turned on her once again.

There was a rush of wind as something darted for her. Before she could comprehend what it was, jumped on top of her. His foul breath slapped her face as he leaned toward her ear. She felt her mask of peace melt into outright fear. "Where will you hide?" he whispered. "You can't hide from me, I will find you wherever you go."

He leaned back and looked into her eyes. Raising a claw, she fought back, her hands charged with electricity...

X

This time, Storm bolted up for real in her chair. There was also a crash of thunder. Darn it! She thought bitterly. She looked at her watch. 5:30. Almost time for karaoke night with the kids. She sighed, got up and went back down stairs. There was no way she was going to miss karaoke night without making anyone suspicious.

X

Logan didn't usually go to Karaoke night, he didn't like the music much. However, Storm was always down there, and he wanted to see how she was doing. Or, at least talk about what was bothering her. She came in a moment later. "Hey, Storm," Logan called. He had saved her a seat, and she walked over and took it.

"Did I miss anything?" she asked.

Logan shook his head. "Hawk and Alison are just about ready to start."

"What song?"

"Uh... Everybody's fool by Evanescence."

The music began, and Hawk came out from backstage.

"Perfect by nature

Icons of self indulgence

Just what we all need

More lies about a world that..."

X

Storm started to feel uneasy. It seemed as if that song was pointed at her. Especially when Hawk reached the chorus. The second verse made her feel even worse.

X

"Never was and never will be

You don't know how you've betrayed me

And somehow you've got everybody fooled"

Hawk noticed Storm was tense during the song. Something about it was bothering her, which was a little weird considering none of the other songs she and Alison had played on Karaoke Night ever bothered her. She shrugged it off, maybe it was just from the stress of the day.

X

Without the mask, where will you hide?

Can't find yourself lost in your lie

Storm couldn't take it anymore. She turned to Logan. "I'm going to my room, okay?"

Logan nodded, and thankfully didn't ask why. Although she could see the question in his eyes.

X

"I know the truth now

I know who you are

And I don't love you anymore..."

Hawk saw Storm get up and leave without a second glance. She shot Logan a questioningly look, still keeping her face and voice to the mood of the music. Then looked back to the audience as a whole.

"It never was and never will be

You don't know how you've betrayed me

And somehow you've got everybody fooled

It never was and never will be

You're not real and you can't save me

Somehow now you're everybody's fool."





You must login () to review.