The next day, there was some news about Magneto. "There's been some activity near the red wood forest," Charles began, Hawk, Logan, and Storm were in his office. Hawk raised her hand and he nodded.

"Isn't that near his other hideout?"

"Yes, Hawk, it was, I want you all to go out there and see what you can find." He turned to look at Storm. "Storm."

Storm obviously didn't hear him. She was in her own little world. Hawk, who was sitting right next to her, nudged her with her elbow. Storm was jolted back into reality, although, she did not have as strong as a reaction as she did with Logan. "Hello," Hawk said, nodding slightly to Charles as Storm turned to her.

"Sorry," Storm said.

"As I was saying," Charles continued. "I want you to lead the team out there and see what's going on. Can you spend a few hours away from Isis, Hawk?"

"I don't need to be by her constantly," Hawk replied, nodding eagerly.

"Alright then, be ready to go in fifteen minutes."

Everyone nodded and got up. After changing into their uniforms, Storm went into the pilot's seat and started prepping the bird. Hawk got co-pilot, since Logan was a little slow. After prepping the ship and going airborne, Storm put them on a course that would have them within a one-mile radius of their destination in about a quarter of an hour. They would have to hike for about ten minutes, but it was either that or get discovered immediately.

Hawk was checking the main systems on the jet- checking to make sure that they were not leaking any oil or hydraulic fluid- when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a plane heading right toward them. A quick look Storm's direction, showed that she was in her own little world again. "Storm!"

Storm looked up, saw the plane, and quickly veered to the right. After making sure that the system's were working properly, she decided to challenge Storm. "What was that about?"

"Nothing. I just got distracted."

"You seem to be getting distracted alot lately." Hawk said, obnoxiously. "How many times have you drilled into my head, 'do not get distracted'?"

"I don't know. A hundred maybe."

"Pretty close. What's going on?" There was the first hint of compassion in her voice.

Storm sighed. "I don't want to talk about it."

"But-"

"I said, I don't want to talk about it."

Hawk sighed. There was no way she was going to get through to her. "Then at least let me take control of the jet- at least until we land."

Storm swapped it over to co-pilot. There was a tense silence in the air, not even Logan bothered to talk. Finally, they reached their destination. Storm took over then. "I preparation for landing, please restore your seats to their upright and locked positions, store all carry-on items and tray tables, and make sure your seat belts are securely fastened," Hawk said laughing.

Logan gave her a dirty look, while Storm glared at her. "You stole my line."

"You were too slow. What can I say?"

The moment passed and they were all back to business.

Storm was the last one to leave the jet, while Logan led. Hawk took a hand held display, which showed their position, and their target. After about five minutes of walking, Hawk decided to have a little fun, and do some "windboarding". Storm rolled her eyes. "Show off."

Hawk stopped a couple minutes later, landing beside Logan. Storm was standing behind them as they continued walking, neither one of them aware of this. They reached a small cluster of trees, and stopped. Hawk felt her danger sense flare. "Logan," she said, "Do you sense anyone near by?"

"Can't tell," Logan replied, frustrated. "We're upwind. Storm..." He turned around to see Storm wasn't there. Then he turned back to Hawk. "Where is she?"

Hawk shrugged. "I don't know. Look, my danger sense just started to flare. That's why I asked. I won't be able to tell which way the enemy is coming from until it's too late."

Logan looked around briefly, while Hawk focused on the trees. Suddenly, she knew which direction an instant before the culprit showed up. "Duck!" she cried as someone swung over her head. The person landed, and it turned out to be Toad. Mystique showed up a minute later. Great, Hawk thought. Now all we need is Sabretooth. Speakin' of which, where the heck is he?

X

Storm thought she heard a snap of a twig behind her. The others continued on as she stopped and listened more closely. She knew she wasn't dreaming and went airborne, that was when she felt the air displacements of someone coming at her. She managed to shoot herself a little higher before her assailant could grab her. It was Sabretooth. Her heart started to race a little. He just gave her a sadistic smile. She didn't know how long they had been staring at each other before she heard Hawk yell, "Duck!"

It's an ambush, Storm realized. Sabretooth took advantage of this moment and climbed a tree. Then he lunged at her. Storm managed to dodge the blunt of his attack, but he managed to scratch the back of her shoulders, leaving a trail of fire that told Storm he drew blood. She gasped in pain, wondering if she could handle this.

X

Logan and Hawk almost stood back-to-back. "What the heck is goin' on?"

"Ambush," Hawk replied. "Duh."

Mystique started for Logan, which Hawk spun out of the way for, while she took on Toad. He gave some sort of twisted smile, which Hawk cocked an eyebrow at. "Really? That all you got?"

This made him a little irritated. He lunged at her, Hawk spun and shot lightning at him from her fingertips. He jolted for a second, then got up. "Didn't you listen to Storm when she shot you with lightning?" Hawk asked mockingly. He spat some sort of green spit at her, which Hawk managed to toss back the other direction with her telekinesis. Then she gave Toad a malicious smile, and shape-shifted into Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. Toad looked at her curiously. "Petrificus totalus," Hawk said- remembering the spell from the Sorcerer's Stone- raising Hermione's wand and pointing at Toad.

X

Logan and Mystique fought for awhile, but in the end, Logan was the victorious one. He ran over to Hawk, who took on a completely different look than when he left her. Toad was standing, literally frozen on the spot with his arms at his sides, and his legs together; he was unable to move anything, except for his eyes. Not even his tongue was able to move. Logan turned back to Hawk. "What did you do to him?"

"Body-bind curse from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Don't worry, I may not know how to undo the spell, but once I return back to my normal self, the spell will where off. Until then, it just means less adversaries."

"Good," Logan said. He looked around, wondering where Storm was. Suddenly, he heard a cry of pain. He turned to look at Hawk, who looked the same way he felt. It had to be Storm. They both rushed off into the trees.

X

Sabretooth would not give up. He climbed another tree, and managed to knock her to the ground this time. Storm tried to focus enough to aim and strike accurately, but her mind was so crowded, it was too hard. She was forced to go hand-to-hand, knowing the most likely results. Sabretooth managed to score a couple of times on her cheek, but she was also quick; so she scored a couple of kicks to his abdomen, which was pretty much a worthless thing to do since he healed so fast. He managed to finally pin her to a tree. "Ready for another round?" he asked.

As he slowly inhaled her scent, she fought back. She wouldn't let him do this... not again. She managed to strike him in the jaw, then shoot herself up into the air an instant later. Unfortunately, it seems like he was prepared for this, since he flung some sort of log in the air to catch her off guard. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Storm turned her head to see Hawk- who else was here that could shape-shift to look like someone else with a wand- point her wand at Sabretooth, and that was when the log hit her.

X

Hawk said the levitation spell, but she must've said it too fast since nothing happened. "What was that supposed to do?" Logan demanded.

"It's the levitation spell. It was supposed to make Sabretooth float. But I either said it too fast or completely wrong."

There was a loud crack, and they turned to see Storm starting to fall, without any control over the winds. "Logan, catch her!" Then she focused on a nearby stone,while also trying keeping an eye on Storm and Sabretooth. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

X

Logan estimated Storm's fall. Forgetting about everything else, he watched and, at the last second, caught her. As he settled her down, he was bowled over by Sabretooth, who caused and impossible reaction from Storm.

X

Storm felt arms under her, and saw that it was Logan a second later. She was about to thank him, when Sabretooth bowled him over. Overcome by automatic fear, she created a vortex- while also causing thunder and lightning- that blew him away from them both. "Wingardium Leviosa!" Hawk called again. Sparkles from the wand hit Sabretooth, but she didn't see what happened to him. She was so overwhelmed, she just sank to her knees.

X

Logan got up to see Sabretooth floating in mid-air. There was no wind though. He turned to Hawk who smiled smugly. Apparently she had finally gotten the spell right. Then he turned to Storm, who was on her knees and sobbing a little. "Storm," Logan said gently, rushing over to her. "Storm, it's okay. It's over, it's over."

Storm looked up at him. She was so worked up, Logan didn't know whether she could even think straight. Despite that fact though, he leaned forward and gave her a comforting embrace; which, she in return, gladly gave into. "It's okay, Storm, it's okay," he whispered. "I'm here, I'm here."

After a few minutes, Logan felt that Storm relax a little, and he helped her get up. Hawk was standing not far behind them, smirking at Sabretooth, who just growled at her. "Not so tough now, are ya big guy?"

"Hawk," Logan called. "Quit teasing him, and let's get out of here."

"With pleasure."

The three walked back to the jet, Logan keeping his arm around Storm, to help support her in case she stumbled. Storm sat in the navigator's chair, too tired to argue, while Hawk took pilot and Logan co-pilot. As Hawk brought up the ramp, she shifted back to her normal self. "Storm," she called gently. Storm looked up. "Think you could cause a little shower to cover our trail?"

Storm nodded and her eyes went white. After her eyes went back to normal, Logan and Hawk both knew that she was in her own world; judging by the way her eyes went distant.

X

Storm went to her loft after the mission. She was so upset with herself, she couldn't bear to even look at Logan, let alone Hawk. All of the wounds from two days ago came up again, the pain renewed from today's incident. She didn't think about the pain though, she just thought about Logan's embrace earlier, willing the pain away from her body. After the pain subsided, Storm thought about how much she would like to turn away from the events of these past couple of days and hide. But she couldn't, the most that was possible for her was maybe a little
sleep. But, even then, she still feared when Sabretooth would come in one day and kill her. Or maybe that was just her thoughts over reacting again. She sighed, things would've been so much easier for her if she had not gone on the mission.

X

About a week later, Storm went into the Danger Room with Logan, Hawk, Alison, Rogue and Kitty. Each of them paired up: Adults were together; Dazzler and Hawk; Rogue and Shadowcat. Storm pressed a button, and the new program started. The kids were doing well, considering they were the first group to try it out. Now, instead of just sentinels and people trying to kill them, they also dealt with foes familiar to them.

Storm was up against Callisto at this point. Callisto brought in a right hook, which Storm easily spun around, and knocked her over. Then used her lightning to stun her. Another member down. Although, somehow, she and Logan got separated. Now she was alone. Keeping her senses on high alert, she walked through the rubble of buildings. Then, she was knocked over, by something. No, not something; someone. When she looked into his eyes, she felt nothing but fear. She knew there was pain to be promised. He grabbed her, and brought his claws to bear. At the sight of them, she became automatically paralyzed by her fear. "No..."

X

Logan was wondering what happened to Storm, when everything started to flicker due to an electrical storm. Only three people here could cause this, and he was sure that it wasn't a ghost or a bird doing it.

X

Hawk and Dazzler were working on a sentinel, when there something caused it to flicker. The girls looked at each other, and knew it was Storm.

X

Logan found Storm fighting Sabretooth. The air was charged with electricity; he wasn't even sure if Storm knew he was there- she was too focused on the person attacking her. Her eyes were white, and there was lightning coming out of her hair and eyes; the worst thing you could see from Storm- he did know though, that he had to snap her out of it, before she injured- or even killed- someone. "Storm..."

X

"Storm." Logan's voice brought her back to reality. Her eyes returned to the normal brown, and she soon realized what she almost did. Tears started to blur her vision. Logan knelt her down next to her, trying to calm get her to look at him. The girls rushed in just then. "What happened?" Hawk demanded.

"I don't know," Logan replied. His voice was starting to sound distant. "She's not responding to me."

"I guess this means class is over, right Rogue?" Storm saw out of the corner of her eye, Hawk shoot Rogue a dirty look.

"Wha- oh right. Alright if we leave Logan?"

Logan nodded. Storm looked away as tears started to stream down her cheeks.

X

Once the girls were out of the Danger Room, Kitty spoke up. "What was that about?"

Hawk smiled mischievously. "To give them time alone."

Rogue glared at her. "You little match-making sneak."

"Can't help it. I've been match-making since I was a kid."

"Match-making what?"

"Characters on TV."

"Not the same thing."

"Says who?"

"Me."

They all laughed.

X

Storm kept her face from his. Logan was getting real worried about this. It seemed like every time Sabretooth was around- simulation or not- she had some sort of panic attack. He thought about these past couple of weeks. She had been distant, spending most of her time either in her room, or in her greenhouse. Something was really getting to her, something she thought she could handle on her own. "What's going on Storm?"

Storm didn't respond. She was still in her world. Logan tried again. "Storm."

Storm jumped, but at least she looked at him. "What?"

"What's going on?"

"Nothing." Her voice was bitter, and her eyes were hard.

"Then why did you just freak out like that over a simulation?"

"I was startled." She said plainly. She got up and left the room. "I'm going to the greenhouse. Let me know when Karaoke night starts."

X

"Don't turn away
(Don't give in to the pain)
Don't try to hide
(Though they're screaming your name)
Don't close your eyes
(God knows what lies behind them)
Don't turn out the light
(Never sleep never die)

Fallen angels at my feet
Whispered voices at my ear
Death before my eyes
Lying next to me I fear
She beckons me
Shall I give in?
Upon my end shall I begin
Forsaking all I've fallen for
I rise to meet the end."

Hawk was singing Whispers by Evanescence with Alison and Rogue as backup vocals. Storm got up during the bridge again. All three girls saw this and cast a brief glance at one another. Second time in two weeks, what was going on?

"Servatis a periculum.
Servatis a maleficum."

After all the others had gone on stage, everyone got up and went to bed. Logan stopped the three girls. "What did that last part mean?"

Dazzler spoke up. "Save us from danger, Save us from evil. I would've thought Storm would find a little comfort in that, but I guess not. She got up during the bridge."

Then the girls went to bed.





You must login () to review.