Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a story I did with Shadowmaster2323 on ff, so some of it you'll know is my writing, some of it is Shadowmaster's. Four characters that belong to her are: Isabelle and Annabelle, Damien and Rowan.

Two new characters that belong to both of us: Kai and Kestral.
There was a knock on Ashley's- the Crystal Hawk or just plain Hawk- door. "Hawk," a female voice called out through the door. Hawk looked at her alarm clock tiredly. 7:00. She moaned and dropped her head back onto her pillow. "Hawk," Ororo Munroe- known mainly as Storm, especially to Hawk- said, coming into the bedroom and shaking her, to get her up. "Come on, Hawk, wake up. Just because you're one of my star pupils with the new set of twins, doesn't mean that you can sleep all the time."

Hawk moaned and pulled the covers over her head. "Storm, it's seven in the morning. You know that I sleep until eight, or nine."

"Or ten-thirty if I'm in a good mood. I've warned about your little midnight rides. Besides, you should know by now that if I get you up earlier than eight, it means you're going on a mission."

That got Hawk's attention. "Mission?"

"Yes, you, me, and Wolverine. Cerebro's picked up some activity from the Brotherhood in the sewer system."

Hawk made a face. She didn't like the idea of going through human wastes. "Relax," Storm said, "it's not in service anymore, it's an old one."

"Why aren't Isabel and Annabel going?"

"Their power won't be needed for this mission. Plus they have to catch up on their studies."

Hawk would've liked to go with her new best friends, but any mission was better than sitting around and doing homework. "Isis!" Hawk called to her white wolf as Storm started to leave the room. Isis came in and started to lick Hawk's face. Hawk started laughing; now she was definitely up. Storm gave her a strange look.

"You let Isis lick your face?"

"Just the cheek and neck. Nowhere near the mouth; it gets me up."

"That reminds me," Storm said as Isis came to stand beside her at the doorway. "We're also bringing Isis and Sky. That's really the main reason why we need you. Danielle's connection to animals isn't as strong as yours, and since those two belong to you, Logan and I figured that it was best to bring you along."

Hawk nodded and got out of bed for a ten-minute shower. Isis went to the breaker to turn off Hawk's water if she was in there too long. Hawk was out in five minutes flat and in her uniform in one minute. She decided not to use her cape this, time was a wastin', as they would say back home. It took her two minutes to reach the hangar. Storm was already in the Blackbird and ready for flight. Hawk took co-pilot. Storm had been training her in the simulator with Rogue and the twins, so she's had some training and by the way she passed her tests with ease, would be allowed to pilot the jet soon. Logan came in and saw her in the co-pilot's seat. She grinned. "Snooze 'ya loose."

"Funny," Logan growled, "I don't usually snooze." Isis was in navigator's seat and Sky, Hawk's hawk, was on the console beside her. Logan had to take the seat behind Hawk. Hawk giggled at his scowl, and then called to the animals.

"Isis, swap with Logan."

Gladly, Isis said. As long as I don't have to deal with his glare. Isis and Logan did not have a great first encounter, and she was still wary of him. Sky stayed on the console though. They didn't need Storm distracted, and if Logan tried, well, he would receive a peck from her. He knew that if he so much as touched one of Hawk's animals with his claws, he would receive worse from her. And considering Hawk was more powerful than him, he didn't need to bother.

"Remind me again why we need the bird?" Logan asked. Hawk rolled her eyes.

"All settings go, Storm," Hawk said, putting on her headset.

"Because we need someone to watch from above, and Sky's the best one we have."

"I thought you said that you both agreed that you needed Isis and Sky."

"Well, I didn't say that he was happy about it," Storm countered.

It was about a ten minute flight and no quarrels had broken out between Wolverine and the animals... yet. Sky took off for the skies when the landing ramp was let down. Hawk went into the manhole first. Luckily it was a dry one, but her sensitive nose told her that one of the serviceable ones wasn't far away. She tried not to gag, one of her main issues with smells. She levitated Isis down, then Storm and Wolverine came down. Hawk telekinetically closed the manhole after Sky did a fast swoop. Isis sniffed the ground and growled. Sabretooth was in here, she told Hawk.

Hawk rolled her eyes. "Great," she growled.

"What?" Storm asked.

"Sabretooth was in here," Hawk replied, her senses going on full alert. Sabretooth was one of the more formidable enemies that Hawk had gone up against. Of course she didn't know about her powers then, but still, Sabretooth probably would love to see her dead. He also had a grudge against Storm for some reason. Rumor was that she went to the train station to go get Rogue after she'd left after a near-fatal power surge. Sabretooth and Toad had attacked and Sabretooth had wanted to hear Storm scream, which, of course, as everyone knows, never happened. When she was captured on Lady Liberty, Sabretooth had tried once again, but Storm was saved by the bell when Wolverine came down and spoiled the party. Everyone still thought that he wanted to hear her scream.

Isis led the way. She led them farther from the serviceable one, which was a relief to Hawk. However, they soon reached a forked tunnel. One tunnel went straight, the other one went to the right a few feet farther back. Mystique's been here too, Isis said.

"Mystique's here also," Hawk passed on. "I wonder if fly-eater's around here."

"Enough, Hawk," Storm said in a commanding tone. She usually didn't mind Hawk's taunting or sarcasm, but this was different. They weren't out in the open, which already made near-impossible to go for cover. Hawk understood and looked away. "You two go on ahead; I'll take the tunnel to the right."

"Are you sure?"Hawk asked. Usually when it came to this, Storm would take Hawk with her since Logan was more than likely to come back from a gun-fight.

"Yes, Hawk," Storm said. "You and Logan need to learn how to work together once in awhile, and you need experience in hand-to-hand combat in closed spaces."

Hawk knew about Storm's claustrophobia, but she still didn't like it. "Are you sure you don't want to take Logan with you?" she tried, surprising Logan. She usually made sure to keep them separate that way no lives were lost, but Storm was acting weird this time. "I've got my reflexes nailed, so I don't need a backup."

"Hawk, this isn't up for discussion. You and Logan need to learn to work as a team, and he's the best teacher for combat."

Hawk didn't like it, but didn't take it further. Logan didn't like it either, and said so with his eyes. She stood behind Logan and made a swooping motion with her hand. It was a signal for Sky to follow. Storm didn't notice as she took off for the tunnel.

X

Storm watched as Hawk and Logan went through the other tunnel. She didn't like seeing Logan so worried, but she didn't want him to see her freeze in combat because of a fear she's had since she was a child. She walked about ten feet before looking up to see Sky. "Hawk told you to follow me," it wasn't a question. The hawk simply swooped down and landed on her shoulder. "I could use the company anyway."

She walked maybe hundred yards before coming to an area that expanded slightly and had shelves in either side. She suddenly wished she had taken Hawk's offer. Still, she walked on. She felt the air-currents shift a second too late. Sabretooth came and caught her on the shoulder, before knocking her out with his fist.

X

Hawk and Logan were walking down the tunnel when the reached the dead end. "Guess we turn back," Logan said.

Hawk looked up. "Not quite," Hawk said. Isis had lost the scent trail earlier, Logan knew, but he still didn't understand why Hawk wouldn't listen to him like she listened to Storm. He knew those two had a bond, like a mother and daughter, the way Damien had one with Storm. Hawk and Storm had lost both lost their parents young and in some sort of accident; they both have had to live on the streets at some point and act like thieves, and they both had similar powers, although Hawk had more of a variety. But why she couldn't listen to him for once?

X

"Look, kid," Logan said, "just because I'm not 'Ro doesn't mean you can do what you want. I'm the co-leader-"

"You don't think I don't know that?" Hawk retorted. She was at the arch now, her back turned to him. "I know that perfectly well."

Hawk! Sky called out. Hawk clutched her head.

"Gees!" Hawk exclaimed, then muttered, "I've got to work on that."

Easy, Sky, she thought. What is it?

It's Storm.

Hawk looked at Logan and he knew automatically. Are you alright?

I'm fine. Storm's not though.

Let me guess, it's Sabretooth.

Right.

"Great," Hawk muttered. How far are you?

About a hundred yards in.

Alright, I'm comin'.

Hawk severed the connection and turned to look at Logan. "Please tell me that it was Mystique that grabbed her," Logan said.

Hawk couldn't help it. "It was Mystique that grabbed her."

Logan didn't buy it. "I knew I should've gone with her."

Hawk rolled her eyes and cautiously walked into the tunnel. There was no time to check for ambushes. She started singing 'Haunted' by Taylor Swift in her mind.

It's getting dark

And it's all so quiet

And I can't trust anything now

As soon as Hawk reached those lines, something moved in the shadows. She looked Logan's direction, but he obviously didn't notice anything. She continued.

And it's coming over you like it's all a big mistake

Oh, holding my breath

Won't lose you again

Something's made your eyes so cold

Hawk looked up as she continued. It looked like there were shelves.

Can't turn back now

I'm haunted

As soon as she said those words, a hawk appeared above her. A glowing hawk. She used her hand as a visor to shield her eyes. Isis growled. There's someone else here.

"Do you know who it is?" Hawk asked.

No.

That's a relief, Hawk thought to herself. She still didn't want to take any chances though. She extended her senses out and found out that there were two other minds around. One right above her, on the shelf. Before she could probe deeper though, the hawk swooped down and knocked her back, practically blinding her. She was suddenly reminded of her friends Dazzler and Magma, and how they had to control their light sources.

When she got her sight back, Logan was standing over her. "Are 'ya gonna help me up or what?" She said, getting up herself.

Logan shrugged. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I saw somethin' in the shadows, next thing I know, I see a glowing hawk coming at me, and it knocks me down."

"A glowing hawk," Logan said slowly. "I think you need your eyes checked."

"Well, if you hadn't had your back turned worrying sick about Storm, you'd know what I was talkin' about," Hawk retorted. "Besides, there are two other people in these tunnels. One's farther beyond the wall, the other's just left."

Logan gave her a look that read, Telepaths. Hawk rolled her eyes. Luckily when she had reached out with her senses, she noted that no one else was in the immediate vicinity. She got a wicked look in her eyes and darted off, surprising Logan.

X

"What were you thinkin'?" a boy of fifteen years of age demanded his twin sister, his neon yellow eyes startling her in the darkness.

"What do 'ya think," she retorted. "Making sure no one follows. They were with that other group."

"If you had been listening, Kestral," the boy shot back. "Then you would know that they weren't. That Canadian guy is worried about someone."

"Not our problem, Kia," Kestral said. "That girl almost caught me."

"I think she wants to help."

"Us? Two teenagers living in the sewers? Please, Kia."

"She knows there's two of us, I felt her probe." He didn't mention that it felt like a gentle caress.

"Great," Kestral grumbled. "Let's go."

X

Hawk reached the tunnel before Logan. It was close to pitch black in there. Storm had probably used one of her electricity balls to walk through. Logan, she knew, would be able to see just fine, but, despite all of her amazing abilities, she wouldn't be able to see a thing without shape-shifting. Isis growled. Sabretooth and Mystique are in there.

"What about fly-eater?" Hawk asked.

No.

"Well this should be easy," she muttered, flicking her palm as a fireball appeared. She slowly led the way through. Suddenly, Sabretooth came down at her. Her senses had already flared by then, and she just managed to dodge and throw the fireball at him. She quickly shifted into her all-time favorite Star Wars character, Mara Jade Skywalker. This gave her some advantages. Mara was an expert in hand-to-hand combat, telekinetic, telepathic, and could control lightning. She also the sharpest danger sense out of all the Star Wars characters.

Sabretooth unsheathed his claws, and Hawk decided it wasn't worth it. She just kicked him where pain certainly not welcome. Then turned back to Logan, who was fighting Mystique. "Logan! Swap it up!"

Logan gladly moved out of the as she leaped in the air, double-kicking- one kick per leg- and catching Mystique on the jaw, then doing a round-house, and finishing it off with a right-hook that made her unconscious. She looked up to see Logan and Isis working together to keep Sabretooth down. Sky was also helping. "Isis!" She called. Isis knew what she was going to be asked to do and wasted no time on it. "C'mon girl, find her, find her."

Isis led her to where there was a small stream. I'm so gonna regret this, Hawk thought, as she stepped through. There was a small alcove not too far from her. She held a torch in her hand, and quickly the light touched Storm's crammed body. Her breath was coming in raggedly, as if it hurt her to breathe. "Logan," she called, shifting back into her normal form. "Come quick, she's injured."

Logan appeared quickly. "Can't you heal her?" he demanded. "What's wrong with her?"

Hawk placed her hand on Storm's neck and did a quick probe, before looking at him. "No," She said, a little coldly. "I can't heal her just like that Logan, it depends on the type of injury she has. Right now, her trachea or larynx or something like that is broken. I didn't exactly get to anatomy, I had a sub for a full nine weeks and we didn't do much. I just know that it's not her windpipe, otherwise she would be dead. Anyway, it's not so much as making it difficult to breathe as it is making it painful to breathe. Right now, the only thing that's helping her is her control over the air. It- Logan look out."

Logan swung his claws to catch Sabretooth, and Hawk shape-shifted into Rogue, another one of her best friends. Hawk touched Sabretooth and gave him a knock out dose. Then she shifted back into her regular self before the effects of Rogue's powers could take place on her. "Let's go," Hawk said. Logan gently picked up Storm and they all went for the jet. Hawk levitated first Logan, then Isis. Sky flew out.

Hawk went to the pilot's chair and got the pre-flight settings ready while Logan took Storm to sick bay. When he saw Hawk in the pilot's chair, he had a horrified look on his face. "Oh, no."

Hawk grinned. "Oh, yes," Hawk replied as she pulled the throttle. Logan flew back. "Hold on," Hawk said, smiling as she said too late, on purpose.





You must login () to review.