Isabel and Anabel Showstine, identical twin sisters, were waiting on the hangar as the Blackbird came in. Isabel noticed that Hawk was piloting. Damien, one of her best friends came in. "Are they back yet?" he asked. Isabel pointed at the Blackbird in response. The jet landed gently and without a bump. They saw Isis and Sky come out first. Isis ran over to Rowan, Damien's wolf, and the two started to have a playful tussle. Hawk came down next and ran over to her friends. "Hey, guys," Hawk said.

"How come you got to go on a mission?" Annabel demanded teasingly.

Hawk shrugged. "Just lucky I guess."

"Mom!" Damien cried. The girls turned to see Storm in Logan's arms.

"What happened?" Isabel whispered.

"We were attacked by the Brotherhood," Hawk replied. "Storm went down first. Sabretooth broke her trachea or something like that. It was painful for her to breathe for awhile, but I healed that up as best I could. Right now she's out, it probably be another hour or so before she wakes up. "

"And where were you and Logan?" Damien demanded.

Hawk rolled her eyes. Isabel knew that Hawk wasn't competing for attention from Storm. Storm was like a mother and a big sister to her. Hawk was a mutual friend toward Damien, but Damien was so protective of Storm that he would blame anyone who was with Storm when she got hurt, especially Hawk. "I was with Logan when it happened. We hit a forked tunnel and Storm wanted me and Logan to go down one and she the other. She didn't want us to see her freeze should it come to a fight. But that's not all." She quickly looked up then beckoned them into the elevator. She closed the door and hit the button to the floor where their rooms were. "There were two other kids there. Both mutants."

"How do you know?" Annabel asked.

"Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but there was a glowing hawk."

"Yup, you're right on that one. You are crazy," Damien said.

"Damien." Isabel scolded.

Hawk just rolled her eyes. "I wasn't hallucinating if that's what you're implying. There were two other people. One of them was controlling that hawk."

Isabel knew that when Hawk was saying she saw something, it was best to believe that she saw something. The doors opened and they all stepped out. "Look, Damien, you can ask Rowan to translate for Isis. She'll tell you there was one other person, but I sensed two. The other one wasn't close enough to pickup a scent."

"Well, well," a malicious female voice said behind them. No one needed to turn around to know who it was. "If it isn't the elemental freaks."

Hawk and the others turned around. "If it ain't the cuckoos," Hawk replied.

"Gee," Phoebe said. "Do you miss your clone so much that you hang out with the elemental freaks for comfort?"

"Is your heart so cold that it needs a blast of energy to melt it?" Hawk shot back. Then tried to play diplomat. "Look, we don't want any trouble. Just let us go to our rooms and that'll be the end of it."

The cuckoos laughed. "Ooh, so sorry, but you already have trouble, bird-brain."

Isabel saw Hawk's hazel eyes flash. This was not good. "You guys know what it's like to lose a sister," she spoke up. "Why don't you guys leave her alone about."

"You know what red-eyes, why don't you mind your own business," Irma said.

"If you guys wanna fight," Hawk said. "Why don't you pick one in the danger room?"

"How about we pick one now." Phoebe said.

"Grab my hand," Hawk whispered. They took each other's hand and Hawk put a mental barrier around each of them. Isabel knew that the Cuckoos were trying a telepathic assault on them. But Hawk's telepathy was more powerful than theirs combined. However, they still had their ways of breaching it. They combined into one mind, augmenting their telepathy greatly and putting pressure on Hawk. Suddenly, a lightning bolt struck them. All three girls screamed. Then Kitty and Rogue came out.

"Problem girls?" Rogue asked the Cuckoos.

"Just keep that freak away from us," Phoebe said. Celeste who had been silent through out the whole conversation, looked sympathetically at Hawk then walked away with her sisters. Rogue turned back to the others.

"Everything alright, guys?" Kitty asked.

"Yeah," Hawk mumbled. She then turned and went into her dorm, which was only a few doors down. Isabel and Annabel wanted to follow, but they both knew that Hawk wanted to be alone. The Cuckoos crossed the line when they had brought up Hawk's dead sister, Crystal. Rogue looked at the twins and Damien.

"Care to explain?" Rogue said.

"Hey," Damien said, "the Cuckoos started it."

"What on earth is going on here?" Professor X asked, coming up behind Rogue and Kitty.

"Cuckoos tried to take more than they could handle." Isabel said. Professor X looked to Kitty and Rogue, who shook their heads and held their hands up. Indicating that they weren't part of this.

"Storm just woke up. She wants to see Hawk."

They all pointed to Hawk's door and he took the hint that now probably wasn't the best time. Isis and Rowan came up just then and Isabel got an idea.

X

There was some scratching on Hawk's door. She was on her bed, crying, and looked up at the sound. There was a whimper. Hawk got up and opened the door. There was no one else in the hallway besides Isis. Come on, she said eagerly. Storm's awake in her room.

Alright, she sniffed.

X

Storm was asleep when there was a knock on the door. She woke up almost instantly. "Sorry," Hawk said as she came in. "Didn't mean to wake you."

It's alright, Storm's thoughts came to her. Hawk gave her a puzzled look. Logan was in with her when she first woke up, that was when they realized something. "Lo..." Storm tried to say hoarsely. She couldn't. So she switched to telepathy. Logan was in here earlier. Sabretooth struck my larynx, so it's going to be a day or so before I can get my voice back.

Ouch, Hawk sent back telepathically. Laryngitis. Helped me fail my freshman year. Spent a week or so at home during the last nine weeks because I thought I was sick. Turned out to be allergies, but I couldn't talk or talked hoarsely for awhile. The only time I talked clearly was when I had something to drink. Still had a hacking cough though.

Thanks.

"Sorry," Hawk said. "How are you feeling overall though?"

Storm shrugged. Alright I guess.

Logan walked in just then. Hawk walked out. "Hey," he said. "How are you feeling?"

Storm rolled her eyes. He'd asked her the same exact question an hour ago. She knew he could tell what she was thinking by looking at her face. Logan laughed. "Alright, I get it."

"You know, Sabretooth could've killed you."

Storm scowled and flicked four of her fingers from her temple. Hawk was teaching her some sign language, this sign meant, I know.

Logan smiled softly and gently caressed her cheek. "Next time, please have Hawk check it out before you go off."

Storm rolled her eyes, but smiled. and motioned him in.

X

Kai and Kestral were by a fire in the tunnels. They were near a mutant group called morlocks, but they stayed well clear of them. Kai was practicing making animals in the shadows, which was his gift. Kestral made animals with light sources. "Kestral," Kai said, not looking up from his work. "Why don't we check out what that group was doing next time we see them?"

"Why?" Kestral asked. "We're doing just fine on our own."

"But what about friends? I was watching that girl from a peephole, and she seemed sad about something."

"Don't tell me your falling for her?"

"I don't know if I am or not, I didn't get a good look at her. It was too dark."

"Look, we're fine out here. Besides, it's not like she would understand anything."

"I don't know, Kestral, she had a haunted look in her face that means something."

"Look, just drop it," Kestral snapped.

"Okay." Kai said sadly. Kestral had been in a bad mood ever since becoming an orphan and forced to live out on the streets. He wished he had someone to relate to.





You must login () to review.