“I’m telling you Hank, Ro aint dead. She can hear her thoughts.” Logan spouted out. He and Ayaba had been down in the lab for nearly 2 hours while Hank ran many tests to confirm Logan’s claims.

“I am not trying to be difficult my friend. I am just stating that none of the tests I have ran can attest to your belief. You saw the state of Ororo’s body after…” He couldn’t say the words but Logan understood and simply nodded his head in affirmation. “She had lost too much blood Logan, Ororo died.”

“Then how can she have her thoughts, how can her presence still be inside?” Logan posed the question.

“I do not know, maybe we should ask her.” Hank suggested as they both looked to the woman who had been walking about the room touching and reading many items lain throughout the room. “Ayaba,” Hank called out and she turned to face them. “Would you mind explaining how it is that Ororo’s essences if you will, still resides in her dead body.”

“This body is not dead. Can you not see that it is full of life?” Ayaba said in protest to Hank’s assessment.

“Yes, it is full of ‘your’ life.” Hank replied. “Ororo’s life had been taken, her body was but a mere shell before you inhabited it.”

“No, she was not dead. She is not dead, she is here.” Ayaba proclaimed.

“Stars and garters, could it be true.”

“How, you said earlier that Jean couldn’t be saved. That the only way Bennu could have possessed her is if she were dead.” Logan stated.

“True, but I am not Bennu. I unlike Bennu value all life. She would not have shared that form with another presence. She is too selfish.”

“But you can’t be sure of that, you saved Ororo’s life, by possessing her body. Maybe Bennu’s possession has done the same for Jean.” Logan said.

“I did not save your Ororo’s life. She has always been here.”

“Not possible, I examined her body myself.” Hank objected.

“She is a child of nature, like you.” Ayaba said as she quickly shot her hand out and clawed at Logan’s face, gashing open his cheek with her nails, and then stood watching as the wound quickly healed over.

“Yes, of course.” Hank gasped out as a realization struck him.

“What?” Logan inquired as he stared at the furry blue man before him.

“Your healing factor, it seems Ororo has one too.” Logan could only stared in awe and slight disbelief. “Mind you it’s nowhere nearly as advance or as quick as yours is. Some wounds she would sustain in battle took weeks to heal, but when they did there were no scars. There’s not a scar on her body. It was as if it had never happened. I never thought her body would be able to heal after such a deadly blow, never even considered the idea.” Hank spoke more excitedly.

“Yer telling me we could have buried her only to have her dig herself up a few weeks later?” Logan asked in disbelief.

“So it would seem.”

“Can we talk to her?” Logan asked as he turned his attention to Ayaba. “I mean, can you wake her up, bring her out or something. So we can talk to her?” Ayaba regarded him for a few seconds before she bowed her head. Her body swayed a bit and Logan instinctively reached out and grasped her, to steady her. She slowly lifted her head and squinted her eyes to the bright lights within the room. She blinked rapidly trying to focus her eyes and then finally rested them on the man still holding onto her.

“Logan?”

“Ro?” Logan called out the woman standing before him with the lost eyes. “Is that you darlin?”

“What is happening?” She asked as a single tear rolled from her eye. Then she suddenly gasped and reached out and gripped Logan’s arm as she looked about the room wildly. “Who are you and why are you in my head!” She screamed to the unseen being.

“Ororo, calm down, it is ok.” Hank stepped forward and she locked eyes with him as she continued to cling to Logan. “The voice you are hearing is a friend, at least I think she is a friend.” Ororo’s brow bunched in confusion. “Do you recall our the meeting we had where I discussed a Goddess named Ayaba?” Hank asked and Ororo simply nodded her head and waited for him to finish. “Well she has been summoned and now inhabits your body. It is her voice you are hearing.”

“What, but I said no. I didn’t agree to such a violation.” Ororo spoke in outrage.

“It was One-Eye,” Logan spat out in disgust.

“Scott?” Ororo replied and burrowed her brow, but then her eyes went wide, and her hand shot up to clutch her throat. “Scott, he…he attacked me.”

“Yeah Darlin,” Logan replied with a heavy sigh. It pained and angered him that she had to relive her attack, the fact she had been betrayed by a friend.

“You were there,” She said as she again grasped his Logan’s arm. “You were trying to save me. Goddess it hurt so badly, and then it did not any longer. I became so cold, I’ve never been cold before. I don’t get cold, but yet I remember I was so very cold. Then everything went dark.”

“Yes, you died.” Hank stated. “There was too much blood loss.”

“And she brought me back, this Ayaba?” Ororo asked as she wrapped her arms around herself. “She’s brought me back so she can use me to kill Jean?”

“Yes and No,” Hank started to explain. “You died, at least that’s what I had determined from my examination. Ayaba possessed your body, reanimated it, if you will. However, it turns out that your body was, is healing itself. Much like Mother Nature, when man or the elements ravage her, with time she always heals herself. So it seems is the case with your body, that’s why you have no scars. You have a healing factor, though I never would have thought that you could have healed yourself after such a trauma, but it seems you can.”

“In yer weakened state, Ayaba was able to take over.” Logan added.

“For how long?” Ororo asked as she looked from one man to the other for an answer.

“I guess that it a question should pose to Ayaba, her self.” Hank suggested.

“No!” Ororo cried out. “I do not want to go back to that dark place. Please do not make me go back.” She begged as fresh tear sprang to her eyes. “I cannot move, I cannot see anything. It is unbearable.”

“We have to find a way ta get Ayaba outta her.” Logan directed to hank.

“No,” A voice of neither female nor male designation spoke out, and both Hank and Logan turned to stare into the face of Ayaba. “I must see Imhotep and destroy Bennu.”

“Yeah and then what? We should trust that you’d just leave Ro’s body without a fight?” Logan asked.

“I do not wish to dwell within this vessel, but it seems that I must to accomplish my mission. Once I am done I shall leave this confining form.”

“Fine, can ya let her back out now?” Logan asked and Ayaba regarded him suspiciously. “Look, if yer tell’n us that you’ll leave Ro alone after you’ve stopped Phoenix and seen yer kid, then this can be a win, win situation for both parties here, and we’d have no reason to try and stop you. But until we can find your son and Phoenix can ya let Ro come outside ta play?”

“For a time. I too must replenish my energy and strength. Do not try to reclaim this body by force, to do so will cause your Ro great pain and suffering.” With a blink, black eyes turned to blue.

“Is she gone?” Ororo’s soft voice spoke out.

“For the time being,” Hank answered. “But she has assured us that she will leave your body forever, once she has completed her mission.”

“You mean once she has killed the Phoenix.” Ororo clarified.

“Yeah darlin,” Logan confirmed. “But Jean’s gone Ro. You’ve seen what the Phoenix has done. If there was any part of Jean inside, she would’ve never let that stuff happen. The deaths of all those people, Jean would have stopped it.”

“But what if she is being held like me. Conscious only of the darkness, but unable to do anything.” Ororo argued.

“It is not illogical to assume that the Phoenix has possessed Jean much as Ayaba has possessed Ororo.” Hank said.

“Ya heard what Ayaba said, Phoenix would have had to kill Jean to possess her body completely. Now unless yer telling me she also has a healing factor, I don’t see how this is the same.” Logan said as he folded his arms across his chest.

“But would not you of all people want to know for sure if Jean is alive, and locked somewhere inside?” Ororo asked.

"Yeah, I'd give almost anything to have Jeannie back." Logan admitted.

“I really do not see how we could know for sure, unless…I could ask the Professor.” Hank suggested.

“Chuck was the one who told us Jean was gone, that he couldn’t sense any part of her in the Phoenix.”

“Yes, but it must have been the same with Ayaba. Surely he would have told us if he had sensed Ororo’s presence. Maybe she was buried so deep; at a glance he did not see her. Maybe he must dig deeper. I shall go speak with him now.” Hank then left the room. Logan and Ororo stood silently in the room for several long seconds.

“How ya doin Ro, Ayaba isn’t still barkin at ya inside yer head is she?” Logan asked in concern.

“No, but I can still feel her, here.” She reached up and touched the spot between her brows. “It is like a faint pressure just here, behind my eyes.”

“I’m so sorry Ro,”

“Do not be it is not your fault, Scott is to blame for all of this. By the way where is he?”

“Dead,” She looked at him with accusing eyes. “Not me darlin though I had planned to, but Ayaba beat me to it.”

“Goddess,” She grasped out at the news as she covered her mouth with her hand, as if trying to keep a scream from escaping. “I killed Scott.”

“No, Ayaba did.” Logan repeated as he grasped both of her forearms in his hands. “Do you understand, it wasn’t you, you had no control, hell yer not even aware of what she’s doin when she’s in control of your body. No one blames you. He had it coming after the way he butchered you.”

“Thank you Logan,” She said softly.

“Like I said it wasn’t me, it was…”

“No I mean thank you, for trying to save my life. I remember you kneeling over me trying to save me, getting me to the medlab.”

“You would have done the same fer me,” She could only nodded her head in agreement.

“I want to go outside, I need to feel the wind on my skin, blowing through my hair before…before she comes back and I am returned to that dark place. Can we go to the lake?” She asked.

“Darlin we can go wherever you like.”





You must login () to review.