Mutant City X-Force by dispatcher652
Summary: Charles' dream has finally come true. Mutants rights have been attained and the world has changed. So to have the X-men. No longer are they in the shadows fighting. They are in the forefront as Police Officers. See how the dream became true and what lead to the start of Mutant City X-Force.
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Action
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 10682 Read: 4071 Published: 04-23-14 Updated: 05-15-14

1. Chapter 1 by dispatcher652

2. Chapter 2 by dispatcher652

3. Chapter 3 by dispatcher652

Chapter 1 by dispatcher652
Author's Notes:
* * means talking telepathically
I've been called many things in my life. Some names were good. Some names were bad. Some names...well lets just say ya wouldn't use them around polite company. With each of those names comes a story. Some long. Some short. Some so fuckn' horrible that they would make a priest challenge his belief that there is a god.

Those names, those stories, seem a life time ago. I have a new life now. And with this new life comes a new job. A job that I would have never in a million freak'n years taken if not for certain circumstances. (Which I will get to in few) And what is this new job ya ask? Get ready cause it's doozie.

Here's a hint. I'm now the long arm of the law. I serve and protect. That's right folks...

I'm a police officer. Aint that a bitch?!

How did I get (dragged) into this line of work?
Charles and his god damn dream that's how. Can ya believe that it? The shit finally came true.

All it took for it to happen... was for me and the other X-Men ta almost get blown ta kingdom come.
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
5 years ago

“Cyclops, are you sure we have the right information?” Storm asked while piloting the Blackbird towards their destination.

“Yeah, it looks like we are heading towards the middle of no where.” Shadowcat said from her seat.

“These are the numbers Beast and the Professor gave me. I checked three times. And if you are going to have a secret installation, wouldn't you want it in the middle of no where?” Cyclops said to Shadowcat while going over the data on the nav screen in front of him.

“He's got ya there Kit Kat.” Rogue said winking at her best friend.

A beeping sounds from the nav computer let everyone know they were within two miles of their location. After a few adjustments to the controls Storm started to make her descent.

It didn't take long for them to reach the coordinates and when they did they almost missed it.

“So where is it?” Cyclops asked.

“There.” Storm pointed.

“Damn. You can see why they picked this place. It's isolated and by the looks of that forest it's not easy to get to.” Cyclops said.

Isolated was an understatement, Storm thought. Who ever picked this spot made sure that no one was going to find what was going on out here. Anything resembling civilization was a not even a stones throw away.

The closet thing to it was a town at least 60 miles away. In between the building and the town was what looked to be a very thick and unforgiving forest. So even if some poor soul made it out of.. what ever this place was.... and somehow got threw the forest, they still had long run to freedom.

“Let's get a closer look. Storm, can you give us some cover? I want you to do pass around the building.”

“No problem.”

Cyclops watched as his friends eyes took on the familiar milky white color they always do when she lets her mutation go. Soon, the plane was covered in a thick fog.

Any other pilot would have a hell of time piloting through this pea soup but Storm made it look easy. She's the only one that he would trust to be able to pilot them through this safely.

“There is no way this can be it.” Storm said.

The outside of the building looked old like it had been abandoned for years. It also looked out of place. The building looked more like something built for an industrial area rather than out here in the middle of the country.

There were broken out windows and what looked to be graffiti from rival taggers all over the building. It was as if someone built it somewhere else then somehow transported the whole thing to this spot.

Nothing about this place is right, Storm thought.

“Are you picking up anything?” Cyclops turned towards Jean who was walking up behind him.

Jean opened her mind and began to scan the area. Immediately she felt something blocking her.

“There is definitely something or someone down there. As soon as I started my sweep I was bounced back.”

“Well, it sounds like we at the right place sugah? What's the plan?” Rogue asked.

Cyclops was about to answer when Wolverine beat him to it.

“Kick ass and take names. Same as always.” he shrugged.

“Gambit, always like dat plan.” he said while shuffling his cards.

“No. We do some recon first and see what's going down there.” Cyclops said with annoyance in his voice.

“And then...” Shadowcat said.

“No and then.” Cyclops said which caused Shadowcat and Rogue to burst into laughter.

“What? What's so funny?” Cyclops asked not knowing why they were laughing at him.

“Jesus Scooter, ya need to get out more. Even I got it and I'm more anti social then you.”

Jean kissed the back of Cyclops' head as she chuckled.

*I'll rent you the movie, honey. * she mentally sent to him as she strapped herself back in to her seat.

“Alright, now that you all have had a laugh at my expense, why don't we get down there and see what's going on. Storm can you locate a safe place for us to land?” Cyclops said trying to re-establish his command.

“Already on it. I found one of the only clear pieces of land out here large enough to land and conceal us. I doubt it's just a coincidence but right now I will take what I can get. We'll be there before you know it.” Storm programming the new landing coordinates in.

“So, what's the deal with this place anyway?” Wolverine asked.

“Weren't you listening during the briefing?” Shadowcat asked incredulously.

“Dat would be a no, cher.” Gambit said with a smirk.

“Can it Gumbo. I can't help it if Scooter's voice puts me ta sleep.”

“Fuck you, Logan.” Cyclops said.

“No thanks. I'm not inta guys. Ya better watch out there Jeannie, sounds like Scooter is switchin' sides.”

“I'm gonna come back there and kick your ass Logan.”

Snikt!

“Whatcha waiting for?” Wolverine snarled.

Before things could get started between them the Blackbird did a three sixty in the air.

“What the shit?! Storm!” Wolverine yelled. His stomach felt like it was still doing flip flops.

“Yeah, what gives?” Cyclops asked while getting his bearings back.

“Both of you are acting like adolescents.”

“Hey! I take offense to that. The adolescents were being good back here. Those two are acting like jerks.” Shadowcat said.

“I'm sorry, love. Kitten is right, you both are acting likes jerks. Wolverine you should have listened at the briefing.”

“See...” Cyclops started to agree when Storm turned her attention to him and stopped him in his tracks.

“And you Cyclops, should not be so easy to get a rise out of. This is neither the time, nor the place, for the usual foolish between you two. You're both grown men. Start acting like it! Now, do I have to do another three sixty or will you two behave?”she said raising a white eye brow at them. Daring one of them to challenge her.

Like two little boys that received a stern lecture from their mother they both relented.

“Sorry, Storm.” Cyclops said softly.

“Yeah, sorry darlin'. Won't happen again.”

“Good. Now, while I start to bringing this puppy in, Cyclops would you be so kind as to inform Wolverine again about what our mission is....again.”

“Sure.”

Jean wanted to giggle but held it in. Storm was the only person that could put both Scott and the mighty Wolverine in their place.

* Look at you being all, feisty. * Jean sent to Ororo. Failing miserably to stifle the giggling in her head.

Ororo chuckled back. * I did not mean to be. Sometimes those two....ugh.. *

* Can be dicks? *

*Jean! *

* Well it's true. *

*Why do we tolerate them? *

*It's simple. They're cute *

*Ha! Ha! I plead the 5th. *

*You're no fun. * Jean said sending a picture of her sticking her tongue out.

* Very mature. Now if you excuse me, I'm trying to land a plane here. *

*Yes ma'am. *

“So Wolverine, what did you hear in the briefing?” Cyclops asked.

“I heard blah, Brotherhood, blah blah kidnapping, blah blah blah, building will blow up.”

“That's all you heard?!” Shadowcat asked still not believing how the man who could literally hear a pin drop, failed to listen to people in the same room as him.

Wolverine shrugged again. “That's all I needed ta hear pumpkin. The highlights.”

This would not be the first time Cyclops was thankful for his ruby colored glasses. They hid the eye roll he just did at Wolverine's expense. Sometimes he thought that the adamantium had somehow seeped into Wolverine's brain.

“Oooook, short version. The Brotherhood are holding several children hostage. These children are from very prominent and affluent families that have been very vocal against mutant rights. The one leading the charge is Senator Michael Anderson. He's a piece of work. He's gone as far as saying that any woman that is or becomes pregnant with a mutant child should have an abortion and the father should sterilized.”

“So, the only reason why we are helping these pricks is because of the kids.” Wolverine said.

“Yeah. That and the Senator has had a change of heart recently when he found out both his son and new baby girl have the mutant gene.”

“Talk about ironic.” Jean said.

“I'm sure the part about his balls being sterilized had more ta do with his change of heart than irony, Red.”

“Mm hmm. When he found out his kids were taken he called Xavier personally and asked for his help to get them back. And....if we get them back safely we will have his full support in the Senate for mutant rights.”

“And, if we don git his bebe's back, we gon be even more on his shit list, no?” Gambit asked re-shuffling his cards.

“That sums it up.” Cyclops said.

“I still don't understand why the Brotherhood is doing this. I mean, they didn't even make any demands. They are kids and two of them are mutants. Their defenseless for gods sake!” Shadowcat said.

“Since when does anythin' the Brotherhood do make sense? They don't care who gets in tha way or who they hav' ta use or hurt ta get what tha want. In their eyes Kit Kat, we are all expendable. Ah got tha stripes ta prove it.” Rogue said touching her gray streaks.

Her streaks were an ever present reminder of just what lengths the Brotherhood would go through to get what they want accomplished.

“But dey be the prettiest stripes dis Cajun eva seen.” Remy said with a wink causing Rogue to blush.

“Rogue's right. The Brotherhood never needs a reason to cause mayhem and destruction. The Professor thinks and I agree, that no matter what, the Brotherhood are not going to let those kids leave that building alive.” Cyclops said.

Everyone got quiet at Cyclops'sobering last statement. They all knew too well that the Brotherhood was never afraid to make anyone, no matter what their age was, a martyr for their cause.

“Coming up on our destination. We'll be landing in about thirty seconds.” Storm said breaking the group from their grim thoughts.

“Thirty seconds everyone, look sharp.” Cyclops said.

As Storm was landing the Blackbird, Jean unstrapped herself to go lower the ramp.

“Let's get those kids and get then get the hell out of dodge.” Cyclops said.

“Can we kick ass and take names too?” Shadowcat asked bouncing on her toes like an excited five year old on Christmas morning.

“First we secure the kids. And then..... we kiss ass and take names.” Cyclops smirked.

“Yay!!!” she squealed.

“Gambit, t'ink you made the petite’s day.”

“When the shit hits the fan pumpkin, find me and we'll take some names together.” Wolverine said smiling a wolfish grin at her.

“You got it.”

With the Blackbird safely on the ground, Jean lowered the ramp and everyone fanned out and headed towards the forest.
End Notes:
If Gambit's accent is too much let me know.
Chapter 2 by dispatcher652
While the others were making their way forward through the forest, Wolverine and Gambit were already way ahead of the rest of team.

Wolverine ran through the woods at a pace that was hard for most of the X-men to keep up with. Gambit however, had no problem. He was high above in the trees with his staff. Leaping from limb to limb with the grace and speed of a jungle cat.

This was just the type of night and woods both Wolverine and Gambit loved. It allowed them to be free and let the skills that came natural to them loose. They would never admit it but, they loved working together. They fed off each other. If they were a symphony; they would be a masterpiece.

Every once in a while Wolverine would turn and make sure that the shadow following was indeed Gambit. One sniff was all he needed to tell it was him. Shitty cigarettes and cheap cologne always made Gambit's smell stand out in crowd. He looked up and saw the Cajun high up on a sturdy tree limb looking in the same direction he was.

“Got anythin'?” Gambit asked when he saw Wolverine sniffing the air.

“Ya mean after I cleared my nose of your lousy cigarettes and the dime store shit ya wear?”

“Dat, dime store shit ya talk'n 'bout keeps the ladies very happy, homme. Two of dem you know very well. But, let's focus less on my manly odor and more on da matter at hand shall we?

“We're gonna talk about those two another time, Gumbo. To answer ya question I did pick up something though.”

“And dat be?”

“Lots of Brotherhood stink.”

Both men turned when they heard several people headed their way. Gambit had his bow at the ready just in case who ever was coming wasn't a member of their team. He loosened his grip when he saw Wolverine hadn't popped his claws out. No claws was always a clear indicator that the other party was friendly.

“Man, I forgot how fast you two run. Should have had my Wheaties in stead of Coco Puffs this morning.” Shadowcat asked when she and the others had finally caught up.

“Any idea who we are dealing with?” Cyclops asked trying to catch his breath.

“Mystique, Toad, Pryro, and... Sabertooth. There's other scents here too. Someone tried to mask them. Could be that we got more than the Brotherhood and that telepath Red picked up.”

Cyclops nodded then pulled a small black device out from one of the pockets in his uniform. He held it in his hand then pressed a button on it and the device came to life. A 4-d version of the building appeared. He almost laughed as he watched Kitty practically drool over the tech he was holding.

“Thank Forge. He came up with this baby a few days before we got this mission. We're field testing it for him.”

He pressed another set of buttons and the image widened. As he touched the building the face of it dissolved away to show a detailed image of the interior.

The inside of the three story building was a far cry from its shabby outward appearance.

“What the hell kinda place is this Cyke?” Wolverine asked not liking what he was seeing.

He could feel his hackles start to rise. Something about this wasn’t right.

“It's an old research lab run by some not so friendly members of the government. A lot of experiments were done here.”

“Mutant experiments?” Storm asked although she knew the answer.

“Yeah.” Cyclops said with a heavy nod of his head.

“How did we get the plans ta the buildin'?” Wolverine asked barely controlling the growl in his voice.

Then realization dawned on him. “Motherfucker! The Senator. He gave the plans didn't he?”

“It doesn't matter how...” Cylcops started but was stopped by a very angry Wolverine.

“The fuck it doesn't! He knew about the experiments they were doing here and he didn't give a good god damn to stop it from happening until it affected him. Now he wants us to save his ass or should I say dick from the chopping block? I say fuck him.” Wolverine growled out.

“And what of the children, Wolverine?”

Wolverine turned towards Storm. She could see the anger and the golden hue in his eyes alerting her to the fact that the beast was coming forth. Scratching at the very edge of his being to be set free and let loose his beserker rage out on everything around him. Although, his anger was justified, and she was just as applauded as he, this was not the time to lose sight of the bigger picture. She stepped closer to him and looked him straight in the eyes.

“What of them? Should they reap what their parents have sown? As Shadowcat stated earlier, the Senators children as well as the others being held are innocent. Their parents are the monsters, not them. They do not deserve this fate. I can never understand the pain that was inflicted on you by the Weapon X program. No one here can. What I really can not fathom is that you are going to ask those children to pay the price of your revenge against those who have wronged you. If this is your plan or your judgment is that clouded, then maybe you need to leave this mission to the rest of us.”

Storms words were like a slap of cold water truth to his and his animals face. She was the only one who was able to cut through his bullshit and tell him what he needed to hear. Yeah, he was angry for what those bastards did to him. He would always be; but there was no way he was gonna let a bunch of kids pay that toll for the havoc his vengeance would bring to those who had it coming. Not this, or any other day.

“I ain't leavin'. The only reason why I'm still stickin' around is for those kids. Not their piece of shit parents. As far as I'm concerned they can all go straight to hell.”

“For once Wolverine, we're in agreement. Once we get the kids out of here their parents can go fuck themselves.” Cyclops said.

“Aw Cyke, ya makin' me all warm and fuzzy with your big boy talk.”

“Now, that Wolverine's got the warm and fuzzies, can we get back on track? Remember, kids, small, scared, waiting for us, the good guys.” Shadowcat said.

“And ah thought we left Jubilee and her wise cracks at home.” Rogue said winking at her.

“She's right. Let's get back on track here.” Cyclops said.

Pointing to the top floor of the building on the holographic image, he zoomed in on the last door on the floor.

“That's where the Professor and Beast think the kids are being held. Jean can you...”

Cyclops looked up to see Jean trying to scan the building and the look of frustration on her face.

“I still can't get a good read but I did get something. It was really fleeting.”

“What was it?” Storm asked.

“Fear. It was definitely fear. I think maybe our telepath may be being forced to shield us from what ever is going on in there.”

“So, it could be one of de kids?”Gambit asked.

“It very well could be.” Jean said.

“Then we need to get in there now. Wolverine, Rogue we'll need you for that door. The door was built so that what ever goes in doesn't get out.”

“No problem. I got six lock picks right here.” Wolverine said.

“Don't worry sugah, between me and Wolverine, we'll git that door ta open and stay open.”

“Shadowcat and Gambit, you two back up Wolverine and Rogue on the inside. Storm, Jean, and I will watch the perimeter. Nothing will get past us that's not supposed to.”

“Let's do this.” Wolverine said.

“Move out and be careful. Use channel 1 on your radios and keep them open. I can monitor your positions and guide you in further with the map.” Cyclops said.

As the team moved towards the building they started to splinter off into their groups.

“Place looks abandoned.” Jeans said coming up behind Cyclops.

“You think Sabertooth picked up us yet?” Cyclops asked Wolverine while taking a position on the north side of the building.

“Maybe. We're gonna need some cover. Storm, darlin' if you could make it rain that might mask our scents from Sabertooth for a little bit.”

“On it.” Rising in to the air to take her position high above the building to get an aerial view. She let her mutation take over. Her eyes went from a vibrant blue to milky white. A moment later a heavy rain began to fall. “Good thing the weather forecast called for rain or else this sudden rain fall might be a little suspicious.”

“How long do you think that will buy us? Cyclops asked.

“Ten to fifteen minutes tops. Then no matter how much rain falls he's gonna know we are here. So we better find those kids quick. Where's the entrance at?”

“Up ahead about fifty meters from your position.” Cyclops said looking at the map.

Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, and Shadowcat ran towards the front door and where surprised when there was no one there guarding it. This was not how the Brotherhood usually worked. There was always someone standing guard. So, the question was why not now?

“No one's here? That's odd.” Shadowcat said out loud.

“Yeah, ah would have at least expected Pyro or Toad ta be watching the door.” Rogue said.

“Maybe da party be inside.”Gambit said.

“Ain't nothin' about this op that 's right. Just can it for now. Gimme a sec and I'll have the door open.”

Snikt!

Three adamantium claws popped out of his hand and were about to cut into the door when Shadowcat pulled his arm back.

“Hold on big guy. Let me check it out first.”

Wolverine didn't like it. This smelled like a trap and he didn't like her going in there on her own but sending two people might alert someone they were there. God, how he hated choices like this.

“Alright, you got one minute.”

“That's all I'll need.” she said smiling.

A moment later she phased through the wall and was gone.
The minute it took her to come back felt like a million minutes had gone by. The three team mates started to get antsy, especially Wolverine. Rogue placed a gloved hand on his shoulder.

“Ah know how ya feel. Just give her a little bit more time.”

Wolverine was about to say she's got ten more seconds before he bust the door down when there was a click and the door started to open.

All three of them readied themselves for whatever was coming through the door. They all blew out a sigh of relief when they saw a grinning Shadowcat.

“Sorry. I didn't mean to take so long. It took me longer than expected to disable the security alarm to the door.”

“Just glad you're OK, pumpkin.”

“I'm fine. You wouldn't have been if you clawed through the door. They had something waiting for you.”

“Oh yeah, what was it?”

Shadowcat held up a bomb with enough C4 on it to blow whoever was coming and anyone else behind them through the door to kingdom come.

Gambit whistled. “Gambit, t'ink dat even wit your healin' factor dat would hav' been one hell of a t'ing ta come back from.”

“Ya ain't lying gumbo. That would have left a mark or two. Not to mention you three would be talkin' ta St. Peter at the pearly gates right now.”

“I don't know how many more tricks they got waiting for us but we need to level the playing field somehow.” Jean chirped in over the radio.

Cyclops pulled the holographic map out again and scanned it really quick. “I got something. Head inside and you'll see there is a door ten meters west of your location that leads to the basement. I want Gambit and Shadowcat to head down there to see if there is anything that will cut the power. Also you got bomb detail. Find and disarm any you come across. Expect company you guys.”

“Gambit, always like company, de company don always like him.”

“Just keep your eyes open. Who know what other surprises they left for us.” Cyclops said.

“We'll show 'em not to mess with us.”

“Yes, petit, we will.” Gambit said jostling Shadowcats's hair up.

“If they cut the power we'll be in the dark. How is that gonna help us? Rogue asked.

“So will they.”Cyclops said. “Everyone, hold your positions until Shadowcat and Gambit cut the power. Just know you'll be flying blind. The map doesn't give me a clue what's down there.”

“Let's go, petit.”

“Right behind ya.”

Rogue watched as Gambit and Shadowcat headed towards the entrance then disappeared from sight. A shiver went down her spine like someone was walking over her grave. Something bad was going to happen. She tried to shake it off so Wolverine wouldn't see it. Too late. She heard him sniff the air and knew he had smelled it on her. Damn his nose sometimes.

“Ah'm fine.” she lied.

“Ya don't smell fine.”

“That's flattering, sugah. With talk like that, it's amazin' ya single.” she said rolling her eyes at him.

Wolverine softened his tone a bit. He covered up his mic so the rest of the team wouldn't hear him.

“I know ya care for Gumbo. Much more than this old canukle would like to admit. And Kitten, she's ya best friend. Ya worried about them and I get that. Ya wanna keep'em safe? Keep your mind on the mission and ya eyes open for anythin' commin' our way or there’s. OK?”

Rogue nodded. He was right. Fear only opened the door to let the bad things in and she wasn’t gonna let anything happen to one of her best friends or her Cajun.

“Good girl. Just be ready.”

Wolverine watched as Rogue cracked her neck like he did when he was ready to get into some shit. He smiled and felt a surge of pride go through him. He also suppressed the sadness he felt too at seeing it. No matter how many times she had told him that that night in his room when his claws almost took her life was in the past, and that there was nothing to forgive, he would never be free of the guilt he felt. The gestures she made and continue to make would always be a constant reminder that his actions always have repercussions.

Outside

Jean was standing by on the south side of the building trying to stay hidden from any prying eyes or scanning minds. She was just about to move to another position when something flashed in her mind.

She couldn't tell what it was because it happened so fast. Before she could try and recall what it was it hit her again and the feelings associated with it caused her pain. The sensation was so intense she let the barriers in her mind fall and inadvertently let the pain slip into her psychic link with Cyclops and Storm. The pain caused Cyclops to fall to his knees and Storm to let out a loud thunder clap.

* Jean! * they both called to her through the link.

* Jean, what's wrong? * Cyclops asked worriedly.

*Goddess, Jean what is the matter? * Storm asked trying to reign her powers in.

Still reeling from the pain in his head, Cyclops got up off the ground and was leaning on the wall for support. He was starting to head towards Jeans when a loud squeal on the radio followed by Wolverine's voice made him pause from the ringing in his ears it caused.

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GOIN' ON?! If they didn't know we were here before Storm's thunderclap it sure as hell tipped them off.” Wolverine growled through the comm radio.

“Something's wrong with Jean. Storm and I felt her pain through our link.”

“Red?” Wolverine asked in concern. “Well you better get ta her because we don't need somethin' else giving our positions away.”

“I'm on my way to her now.” Cyclops said.

“I will come to you as well.” Storm said. She was scared for friend and it was evident in her voice.

“Negative. Stay where you are. I've got her.”

Hating that order to its very core, Storm reluctantly agreed. “Understood.”

Cyclops ran as fast as he could to get to Jean. He found her on her knees and holding her head. He started to approach her when she held out her hand to stop him.

“Wait...stop....need..a..moment.”

He watched as her face slowly switched from pain to one of deep concentration. Once he saw her hand lower he was by her side before she could protest.

“Jean, what's going?”

“It caught me off guard.” she said still trying to shake the cob webs out of her head.

“Was it a psychic attack?” Cyclops said pulling her close to him.

Jean shook her head no. “It wasn't an attack. It was something else.”

“What?”

“It was a cry for help, Scott. That's as close as I can put it. I was getting projections. They were projecting their pain and fear out to me. It just came in too fast and to quick for me to slow it down. It overwhelmed me and that's how it managed to slip into my link with you and Ororo.”

Fear suddenly gripped her heart when she didn't see her friend. “Oh god, is she alright?”

“She's fine.” Cyclops said trying to reassure her.

Jean needed to know for herself. She reached out with her mind and felt her friends overwhelming worry for her.

* I'm OK, 'Roro. *

Jean could feel the mental sigh Storm let out hearing her friends voice.

*Thank the goddess! Jean you had me worried. Not to mention gave me a rather strong headache. What happened? *

Jean quickly sent to her what she just explained to Scott.

* There is more going on here than we think. Be on your guard, Jean.*

*I will. You too, dear sister. *

“Jean, do you think you can make contact with who every it is inside?” Cyclops asked.

“I don't know. I'll try.”

Inside

“How's it comin' you two?” Wolverine asked.

“Nothin' yet. But I gotta ta tell ya homme, dis place is da stuff of nightmares.”

“That bad huh?”

“Der were rooms I would not let the petit go in. She say she could handle it but, der some t'ings young eyes shouldna see.”

Gambit could hear the grunt Wolverine made through the radio. He knew that Wolverine more than anyone knew what he was saying.

The basement was a dark and dreary place. The hallways were black and barely lit. Gambit charged one of his cards to give them some light as they tried to gauge where they were heading.

The first couple of doors they tried where nothing but supply closets that looked like they had been emptied in a hurry. The next ones they came across looked more like holding cells.

Shadowcat was about to phase into the first one when something about it chilled Gambit to the bone. The door had a lock on it that look like it could only be open from the outside. He was about to get his lock picks out when she turned the door handle and to both their surprises it opened.

“Wait here.” he said.

“Gambit, I can..”

“Don, fight me on dis cher'.” he said sharply.

The fire she saw in his black and red eyes told her this was not up for discussion. She silently nodded and moved aside while he pushed the door wide enough to let him peer inside.

Lighting up another card he poked his head in to the darkened room.

The smell is what hit him first. It smelled of feces and urine. He stepped in a little further to get a better look when his foot hit something that made a noise. He looked down and lowered his card to light what it could be. It was a chains.

He followed the chains and could see they were attached to a wall that was covered in old blood and scratches.
A closer look showed the scratches were actually tick marks. They told Gambit that whoever was in here was counting the days of their imprisonment and from what he could tell it looked like they were here for many of them. He felt sorry for the poor soul who was trapped in here and treated like an animal. This was no way to treat anyone. Human or mutant.

When he stepped out of the room he closed the door behind him. He needed a moment to breathe.

“Gambit?” Shadowcat said called his name out softly.

He turned to her and saw the look on her face and felt her hand touch his out of concern.

“I'm alright lil' one. Gambit, goes through doors like dis first ok?”

“That bad huh?”

“Oui. Gambit, know you can handle anytin' dat come your way but, he would be remiss to let you step inta harms way when it could hav' been prevented. Ya understan'?”

“I do. Thank you.”

“OK, Let's find dis room so we can git back to da others.”

Outside

Entering a persons mind is never easy. Every mind has its own door and with it, it's own set of locks. To get in you need very special lock picks.

Cyclops watched as Jean began to open her mind to scan for the other telepath. Her eyes closed and her breathing began to slow. The rain coming down didn't seem to bother her. That told him that she was in no longer in this moment.

When Jean opened her eyes she found herself standing in front of a very plain looking white door. Each door to a person mind told a lot about them. Her minds door looked similar to the one she and Scott shared. The Professor often teased her about it. Telling her that it looked quite girly compared to his sturdy solid oak door.

Plastered all over the door were pictures of places and people that made her happy and helped her become the women she was today. They were also barriers to her mind. Letting anyone know that they before they got to her, they had to go through her friends first.

Through her training Jean learned the design of the door was necessary and essential to keep intruders from gaining unwanted access. The more intricate the design of the door, the more advance the mind and the locks to open it were.

This door however, was blank. Like a canvas. No pictures. No colors. Nothing. Telling her that this was very an inexperienced mind in more ways than one.

The Professor had taught her a long time ago that the mind is a very fragile place. You can't just force your way in. You need to be subtle about it. Even in dire situations like this, you still need to take your time and find the right combination to open the door.

Just like a real lock pick expert, Jean started to root around trying to find the right combination. It didn't take her before she heard what would be considered a click. Slowly she turned the knob and cautiously stepped through the door.

As soon as she walked past the threshold she felt as though she were being hurtled around like an astronaut in space with no tether. There was nothing for her to grab a hold of because this persons memories were flying by her so fast. Now she knew what being inside hurricane felt like. With everything swirling and blurring around her there was nothing to keep her grounded.

“How does Ororo deal with this?”

Jean knew that if she was to get any where she need to stop this and gain some type of footing. That required her to start scanning this person's mind to try and make contact.

Even for the most trained telepath like the Professor, breaking down the layers of another persons mind to make contact was a difficult task. You never know what kind of blocks and barriers they had up to stop you.

This one mind, was different. There was no resistance to her scan. Their walls were easy to break. It was if there were no walls at all to be broken. Which was strange to Jean.

Every telepath that she had ever come across had learned how to create some type of barrier so no other telepath would find an easy way in. This mind had little to no defenses against any attack or breach from another mind. The only defense they had were strong emotions.

That's what was keeping Jean from getting a good read. The amount of fear that they were sending out literally jammed up the air waves. This confirmed her worst fear that it definitely was one of the hostages. If she was to get anywhere she needed to calm them down.

She decided to use another trick that the Professor taught her many years ago.

He told her that no matter where you are you can always create a safe place. That's exactly what she planned to do. All she needed was to find the right place.

Jean looked at the memories before her and tried to find something in them she could use. They were still swirling around faster than her eye could see. She could still feel the person's fear all around her. It was almost suffocating.

Then something occurred to her. The more fear the person was generating, the faster the memory twister went. She had to slow it down and let them she was not a threat.

*Don't be afraid. I'm not here to hurt you. *

There was no response. So, she tried again.

*I promise, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm only here to help you.*

Still nothing.

While she waited for a response she noticed the memories started to slow down. This was her chance she thought. She quickly scanned the images and found what she thought would suit her needs.

A moment later she was in what looked like an ice cream shop. The place looked like something straight out of the 50's.

The place had a white counter with red stools that spun. Off to the side were several long booths that were also decorated in red and white.

As she walked in further she looked around and noticed the place was empty. The only sound was coming from a song playing from the jukebox in the back. She couldn't quite make out the song but it sounded familiar. She put the thought in the back of her mind for now.

Looking down at her attire she shook her head. Her uniform was not going instil trust. It might scare them and remind of them of their captors. A quick change is in order she thought. A moment later she was dressed in a green t shirt with a yellow X on the side, blue jeans, and a pair of white Keds.

She walked over to one of the booths and took a seat. Once she was settled she thought it was time to try and reach out again.

*I'm here. You can talk to me. This is a safe place. I promise, I won't hurt you. I just want to talk.*

Again, no response, just music.

*You can trust me. My name is Jean. What's yours? *
Nothing.

*Ya know, when I was little my dad used to take to a place just like this. We used sit at the counter and I would spin in the seat until I got dizzy. Then he and I would order ice cream. I would get mint chocolate chip and my dad rum raisin. Do you have a favorite ice cream? *

Then she heard it.

*Rocky Road. * a tiny voice said.

The voice startled her.

*What did you say? *

* Rocky Road. *

Jean smiled.

* What's your name? *

*Nathan.*

*Nathan, huh? I always liked that name. Would you like to join me?*

* Scared*

Jean could feel and hear the fear in the child’s voice. She had to use all her mental discipline to push back the anger that was rising in her towards the Brotherhood for traumatizing this child.

*I know. That's why I'm here. Come join me. *

*Don't know how. *

*It's OK. I'm gonna help you. I'm going to create a connection. It's kinda like a rope. When you feel it I want you to grab on.*

Keeping part of her mind with Nathan, Jean checked in with Cyclops.

“Scott?”

Cyclops grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

“I'm here. Did you make contact?”

She nodded.

“Yes, I did. His name is Nathan.”

“Can he tell you anything? Anything that can help us?”

“Not yet. He's scared Scott. It took a lot for me to just get his name. I know we don't have a lot of time....”

Cyclops smiled and touched the side of her cheek. “I know you are trying. Do what you have to.”

“How are Wolverine and the others doing?”

“They are still waiting for Gambit and Shadowcat to cut the power.”

Jean could feel it each time when Nathan almost had it. He wasn't able to hold on for more than a second.

* It's alright, Nathan. Try one more time.*

“Scott, I have to go back.”

“Alright. Be careful.”

“I will.”

Up above

High above the building the weather goddess was keeping a very worried watch. She kept getting the feeling that something was not right about this whole thing. There was a piece to the puzzle they were missing.

Circling the building very careful she looked for any sign of movement. There was none and that struck her as odd. This was not like the Brotherhood. Magneto and Mystic were masters at strategy and for them to leave both the front entrance and roof unguarded was a serious tactical error. One that was rarely ever made. This solidified for her that all is not what it seems. As soon as the power is cut she knew what she had to do. Cyclops would not approve of her decision but his wrath would be something she would risk.
End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who is reading and reviewing. They keep me going. If anything needs to be changed just drop me a line.
Chapter 3 by dispatcher652
Inside

The basement, (if you wanna call it that) was nothing more than a house of horrors. Each room they entered was worse than the last. They were filled with all types of medical equipment and instruments that neither Gambit or Shadowcat had ever seen before. It was all the things that would keep a mutant lying awake at night.

It soon became apparent to them both that the mutants that were kept here were subject to what ever horrific experiments these scientist could dream up.

By the time they had reached the end of the first corridor, Shadowcat's feelings were all over the place. Being an empathy, Gambit felt a myriad of emotions coming from her. He could feel she was was getting tired, angry, and impatient. This was bad he thought. Strong emotions like that only led to one thing and that was trouble. Before he could shut her down she did the unthinkable.

Shadowcat was never a sideline kinda girl. She loved being in the forefront. It proved that she and the other teen X-men were more than what Wolverine would call “A bunch snot nosed brats who wouldn't know their ass from their elbows.” She thought she had proved that time and time again on missions that she wasn't afraid to be the first to go in. To her, this mission should have been no different.

She appreciated what Gambit was doing by entering each and every room first but now, it was becoming frustrating and insulting. She wasn't a little kid any more. She was an X-Men for gods sake. What little childhood she had was stolen away from her the moment she came face to face with the bigotry and hatred being a mutant came with.

That's it, she said to herself. I'm going to prove to Gambit that I can take it. I'm going first and that's all there is to it.

She figured they had seen the worst it. What could be worse than the other doors?

If she wasn't so quick to prove herself she would have seen the words on the door.

INFANT WARD

Before Gambit could protest she phased through him and entered the room. What she saw inside almost made her sick. The lab contained several small infant incubators.

“No.” she said softly. “How could they?”

Her mind was telling her to resist the urge to move further into the room. Her legs however didn't receive the message because she found herself moving forward.

The machines were all lined up against the wall like a baby assembly line. High above each one were large letters that ranged from A to E.

The machines marked A-D were empty and showed no signs that they had been used in some time. It wasn't until she reached the one incubator marked E did she learn of the fate of at least one.

She looked down at the card to see the name of the poor soul that occupied this small space.

Name:“E”
Sex: “Girl”
Weight:“7lbs 9onces”

There was nothing else on the card. Nothing that would remind them that this was a human being. That this child was defenseless. That she had rights and deserved to live and to be more then just E. No,there was nothing like that. All they saw was another thing for them to experiment on. Just a tiny mutant whose life meant little to nothing. Just a means to an end.

It was while standing there she noticed something. E's incubator looked like it had been used fairly recently. There were needles, wires, and surgical equipment on the table near the machine. They looked like they had been removed quickly. A small well of hope sprang up in her. Maybe she was alive some where. Maybe E was another level.

It's funny how hope could be snatched away so quickly before you have a chance to plant the seed.

Shadowcat was about to tell her news to Gambit when she saw something underneath all the surgical equipment. It was a manilla folder. She picked it up and started to read the contents.

“Bastards.”

The things she read should never have been attempted on a grown adult let alone a baby. As she read, she kept seeing the same name over and over again. Dr. Aaron McDevlin. He was E's doctor. Torturer was a better word for him.

The folder was to thick to go through each page and she didn't think her stomach or mind could take anymore of the images the words were conjuring. She skipped to the end of the file to find out little E's fate. It was found in the very last line. Seeing it almost made her knees give out. It showed that E died today.

There was no time of death. It looked like the entry was cut short before a time and cause of death were entered.

She placed a shaky hand on top of the machine. Inside the incubator she saw there was a large amount of blood on the small blanket inside. She stifled a cry by holding her hands over her mouth. She could only imagine what happened to poor E and the pain she had to endure at the hands of these monsters in her final hours.

Shadowcat couldn't take it anymore. She was about to run out of the room when she turned to find a somber looking Gambit staring at her. She ran to him and he put an understanding arm around her.

“Gambit...”she chocked out through tears.

“Gambit, know cher. He know.” He said looking around the room. “Dis place....der be a special kinda a hell for da people dat did dis. Look at me petite. No more fight'n Gambit 'bout who goes first. OK?”

“No, more. I promise” she said shaking her head.

“Good. Now lets find dis room and cut da power. The sooner we do dis, da sooner we can find da the people responsible for dis.”

“We're gonna blow this place to hell. Then we're gona get some payback.”

Before leaving she grabbed the folder and placed it in her uniform. This was something Beast and the Professor needed to see.

Outside
A tug. It was a tiny one but it was holding.

“Good Job, Nathan! Well done. Now I want you to hold on to that rope. It will be our link. Ready for the next step? This is one is easy. All you have to do is think of this place. Just concentrate. Take deep slow breaths and think you about walking in and sitting here with me.”

*Alright. I'll try. *

Jean waited in her seat and tried to remain calm and not project her anticipation to Nathan. She didn't want to scare him. Her patient was rewarded when she heard the tiny bell on the door ring as it opened.

Inside walked a boy who looked no more than five years old. He was tall and thin with light auburn hair. The same color as Scott's she thought. She saw Nathan was just standing at the door just peaking his head in.
Jeans stood up from her seat and waved to him.

“Hello, Nathan. Don't be afraid. Nothing will hurt you here. I promise.”

Nathan looked at the women standing inside the ice cream shop. She was so pretty. He suddenly felt very shy. He was about to leave when he heard her say to him don't be afraid and that nothing will hurt him because she promised. There was no reason to trust her. She was a stranger. It was strangers that brought him to the bad place. Strangers are bad. But, this stranger didn't look bad. She looked nice he thought. Something deep inside of him said to trust her. So, he mustered all the courage his little body had and stepped inside.

He walked towards slowly towards Jean who was still standing there waiting for him. She took in his appearance and felt for him.

Nathan was dressed in spider-man pajamas that were slightly tattered and covered in dirt. His tiny feet were bare and hardly made a sound on the marble titled floor. He was clutching what looked like small rabbit that was also covered in dirt against his chest.

This must be the clothes he was abducted in she thought.

A motherly instinct suddenly swelled up in Jean. It was like nothing she had felt before. Sure, she was close to all the children at the institute but there was something about Nathan that was different. Something that made her want to run over to him and pull him into her arms and tell him that everything will be OK. She was taken out of her thoughts when she felt a small hand in hers.

“Hello.” said the tiny voice.

“Hello, to you too. It's nice to put a face to the voice. Would you like to sit with me?”

Nathan nodded his head slightly. Then followed Jean to the booth she was in and scooted in on the opposite side of her.

Once they were seated Jean noticed that Nathan kept looking around. Like he was waiting for something or someone to pop out and grab him. She set his fears at ease.

“You don't have to worry. No one else is here. It's just you and me.”

“No bad men?” Nathan asked looking around more.

“No bad men.” Jean said taking his little hand in hers and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

Nathan breathed a small sigh of relief. No bed men were here. They wouldn't be taking him away from his favorite place or the pretty lady in front of him. He started looking around again.

“What's wrong?” Jean asked.

“I was looking for Jim. He owns this place. He has the best ice cream.”

“Ah, I see. Well, this is your memory. Everything you see in here is stuff you remember. So, if you want to see Jim all you have to do is think of him and he'll be here.”

“Really?” Nathan asked. His face was scrunched up in disbelief.

Jean laughed. Nathan made the same face Scott did when he didn't believe her. The resemblance was scary.

“Yes, really. Try it. Close your eyes and think of Jim.”

Nathan did as he was told. He closed his eyes and thought of Jim. A second later he heard a familiar voice.

“Hey, squirt! What can I getcha?”

Nathan looked over and behind the counter was Jim. He was dressed as he always was when Nathan came in the shop.

Jim was wearing a crisp white shirt that had his name stitched into it and black pants. He was also wearing the soda jerk hat on his head that Nathan loved.

“Jim!” Nathan yelled.

Jim looked up from the counter he was wiping at Nathan.

“That's me, kid. At least that's what the name says on my shirt.”

Nathan laughed. Jim always told that joke to him.“It's so good to see you, Jim.”

“What are you talk'n about kid? You saw me yesterday. Now, what can I get you and your pretty friend?”

“I didn't see him yesterday. I saw him a few months ago.” Nathan whispered to Jean.

“He doesn't know that. He thinks it's only been a day since you last saw him. It's a memory remember?” she whispered back.

“Oh.” Nathan said then turned back to Jim. “Can I have a scoop of Rocky Road on a cone?”

“And your friend?” Jim said point to Jean.

“She'll have..... mint chocolate chip.” Nathan said hoping he got it right.

“You remembered.” Jean said.

“Yup.”

“Two cones. Coming right up.”

A moment later Jim walked the cones over and gave them to Jean and Nathan.

“If you two need anything else. Just let me know.” he said then walked back behind the counter.

Jean watched Nathans face light up when he received the cone. He looked so happy. This is how he should always look she thought. She hated to take this moment away from him but if she was going to get him and the other hostages free she need to ask him some questions.

“Nathan, can I ask you something?”

“I guess.” he said still licking his ice cream.

“Nathan...do you know who took you?

Nathan stopped licking his ice cream. His face became slightly pale. He looked at Jean and nodded slowly.

“Who was it, honey?”

“The bad men.”

“The bad men?”

Nathan nodded again.

“Nathan, my friends and I are here to help you and to bring you home. In order for us to do that we need your help. Can you do that? Can you help me?”

“I'm scared. The bad men said they would hurt us if we tried anything.”

Jean reached over and grabbed Nathans hand.

“I will not let them hurt you.”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

Nathan smiled and Jean's heart melted. She could feel the fear he had inside of him subside a bit.

“Ok, honey, tell me all about the bad men.”

“They... they...”

The memories of that frightful night started coming back to Nathan and it all became real for him again. His hands started to shake and his heart began to race. The courage he was feeling a moment ago was shrinking away. The fear he felt when the men grabbed him started to claw at his throat. He couldn't speak. He couldn't breathe. He felt like he wanted to run again.

He was about to when he looked up at Jean who had a concerned look on her face for him and that's when he remembered the promises she made to him. She wouldn't let them hurt him. She was going to save him from the bad men. All she needed was his help. All she needed was for him to tell her what happened.

Nathan went to speak but no words came out. It was like the emotions he was feeling had cut his vocal cords. He tried to push them away so he could find his voice again. He opened his mouth again and still nothing came out.

Oh no, he said to himself. If I can't speak I can't help and the bad men will win.

Nathan began to think about what he could do. He thought about trying to talk to Jean in her head again but his fear was blocking her like it did before when she was first trying to contact him. He was about to give up when something in the room caught his eye and he knew how he could tell her.

Jean could see Nathan was having a hard time speaking. She felt him trying to get through to her in her mind but his emotions were all over the place. This was making it very hard to keep the connection they already had going. She was just about to make a suggestion of how to help him when she saw him turning his head to Jim who was now just standing there looking at Nathan. She watched as Jim smiled then nodded his head at Nathan.

“Sure, kid. I got this.” Jim said then looked at Jean. “The little guy is having some trouble talking so he asked if I would be his voice. So, ask away.”

“OK, Nathan. I need to know who the bed men are. Don't leave anything out.”

Up above

The bad feeling Storm was having about this mission was getting worse with every passing minute. Her intuition was saying this whole thing was wrong and that there was a missing piece to this puzzle. It was right in front of them but they were too close to it to actually see it.

While her winds were buoying her in the air she continued to worry for her friends still inside the building. Their long absence was only strengthening her resolve to want to go inside with the others when the power was cut.

She sighed. This mission was stretching her patience to a new kind of thin.

“Ya see anythin' up there Storm? Any movement at all?”

Wolverine's voice over the radio startled her. It had been so long since she heard any radio chatter that she actually flinched at his gruff voice.

“Nothing. And that is what worries me. We are missing something.”

He grunted in agreement. “I hear ya darlin'. Just keep ya eyes open.”

“I will you...” Storm attention was diverted when she saw a glint in the distance.

She thought it was her imagination. It was only for a second. Then she saw it again.

“Storm? Storm ya there?” Wolverine asked.

This mission already had his alarm bells going off and Storm's not answering him didn't help matters.He tried again to call out to her and only got back static.

She needed to be OK. She has to be OK, he kept saying to himself. His emotions got the better of him when he called out to her again.“Storm, god dammit! Ya better answer me or..”

“I have got something.” she said.

“What is it?”

“I don't know. I saw a glint of something in the distance. I thought it was my imagination, then I saw it again.”

“Do you know what it is?”

“No. But, I'm gonna find out.”

“Negative!” Cyclops said jumping in. “Gambit and Shadowcat are not back yet and Jean is still down. You going off on your own will leave us too thin.”

“I believe it is a risk we must take. There are too many unknown variables here. Whoever is out there might have the answers we need.” she countered.

Dammit. She's right Cyclops said to himself. They needed to know if there was another threat out there somewhere. He quickly went over every option in his mind and everyone had the same conclusion. Send her.

“Ok. Check it out.” he said reluctantly.

“I'm goin' with her.” Wolverine said.

“No you're not.” Cyclops said.

“The hell I'm not. She is not going out there ta face who or whatever is it out there on her own. So pardon my french when I say you and that idea can go take a flying fuck'n leap.”

“You are to stay with Rogue. That's an order. I told you we will need you inside when the power is cut.”

“Rogue can handle herself just fine. She's stronger than most of us put together.”

“I'm not staying it again, Wolverine. Stay there. That is an order!” Cyclops said almost yelling into the radio.

“Fuck you and ya order! I'm goin'.” Wolverine spat out.

“Enough!” Storm said. “We all have our parts to play here. This one is mine. Cyclops is right. With my leaving we will be spread way too thin. You need to stay. I need to go. Alone.”

Wolverine felt like he had been punched in the gut. She couldn't mean it. He didn't give a damn that what they were saying made sense. All that he cared about was that Storm was going off to face danger on her own and that was unacceptable in his book.

“Storm..”Wolverine said softly.

She could hear the concern in her friends voice and it touched her heart. To know that he was willing to disobey his orders to have her back and keep her safe only intensified her hidden feelings for him. She wished she could tell him this. Now was not the time. Lives were at stake and she had her own mission to see through.

“Do not fight me on this. It has to be done and you know it. Besides, I had a good defensive tactics teacher who showed me some moves to keep me alive.” she said trying to elevate some of his concern.

“Keep us posted on what you find. And be careful.” Cyclops said.

“I will.” she said.

“Storm, if I hear one wrong thunderclap... I'm comin' for ya.”

“I'll hold you to it.” she said. Then directed her winds to carry her towards the mysterious glint.

Rouge looked over to see Wolverine looking up to the sky. She watched as he followed Storm with his eyes heading towards the unknown danger with out him.

She placed a gloved hand on his shoulder.

“If ya gonna gimme the same advice I gave ya before, save it.” he growled out at her.

Rogue didn't flinch at his bark. She surprised him when she chuckled. She placed a hand over her radio.

“Not at all, sugah. Ah would never throw ya words back atcha. I was just gonna say, Ah'm glad ya finally took notice of what was in front of ya.”

Wolverine spun around towards her. “What do ya mean took notice?”

Rogue rolled her eyes at him. “Ah mean that ya saw there was finally more ta the world than red heads. A certain one in particular.”

“I don't know what ya talkin' about.” He said turning away from her.

“Ok. If that's de way ya wanna play it. Thanks by the way.”

“Whatcha thankin' me for?”

“For teaching me that denial is more than just a river.” she said then went back to her position.
End Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has read this story.
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=10486