Ch. 2 Nocturnal Confessions


Ororo reached the bottom of the staircase and the old floorboards creaked under her weight.

“Moody old house.” She said aloud as she made her way to Logan’s Rec Room.
Logan had once said that a man needs personal space and this was his. He quickly added that women were strictly forbidden from entering. That was part of the reason Ororo came down here in the first place, knowing that she could have watched t.v. in the parlor. Coupled with the fact that he would never know the difference if she did spend a little time inside, Ororo just couldn’t help herself.

She gently turned the doorknob and let herself into her husband’s sanctuary. Immediately, her nose was assaulted with the aroma of stale cigar smoke, motor oil, old leather, and a hint of something uniquely Logan. Walking around the room, Ororo took the time to notice her husband’s choice of Décor. Huge, dusty beer steins lined one wall, while the opposite wall held a massive Elk’s head, that Logan had found lying on the side of the road. The only other real additions to the room were the old couch from their apartment, a television and a pool table Logan’s friend, Nick Fury, gave him as a birthday present a few years back.

Ororo grabbed the oversized blanket that lay over the back of the couch and draped it around her shoulders. As she walked over to the t.v., a strong wind blew against the old house and it creaked and groaned in protest. Even though she had often complained about the old structure, Ororo loved the place. She had often told Logan that the house was occupied by an old spirit that didn’t enjoy their company.

She turned on the television and retired to the couch. Her body warmth had made the blanket start to release the distinct scent of Logan’s musk. It wasn’t a bad smell, but more of a welcome old friend to Ororo. She slowly closed her eyes and was slowly taken to another time in her mind.

///////Logan had been driving for just over a year and a half and Ororo still lived in their run-down apartment in Harlem. The money her husband sent home covered all of the bills and expenses, but Ororo still worked at Charlie’s Eatery.

Logan would come home every other month and stay for only a week. Then he would be off again, going God knows where and back, just to make a living. Ororo hated every minute they were apart, but never complained about it to Logan out of respect for his wishes. At first, he would call home every chance he got, but after a while the calls just stopped coming. Logan was even away on their two-year anniversary.

Whenever Logan was at home, he spent every waking with Ororo, talking, cooking together, and making love for hours on end. In the beginning, Ororo would just ramble on and on about every little thing that had happened since the last time he was home, but over time Logan noticed that Ororo’s attitude was gradually changing. She became more sullen and withdrawn. She would hardly even speak to him anymore; She even seemed to stop enjoying sex. Logan kept his suspicions to himself and was about to chalk the whole thing up to exhaustion until one night, after a rather extended session of love making.

“Ro, darlin.” Logan began. “Are you alright? I didn’t hurt ya or anything did I?”

Ororo had rolled onto her stomach and began crying softly. “No, it’s nothing” she whimpered.

“If nothin’s wrong then why are you crying?” He prodded gently.

She laughed weakly. “What? Can’t a girl drown in her own misery for a while without being asked if something’s wrong?”

“Not when she’s my girl.” Logan scooted closer to Ororo and draped one arm over back and rested his head on her shoulder. “Now, tell me that’s wrong.”

“I…I just wish that you would spend more time at home is all.”

Logan sighed and squeezed his lover a little tighter. “So do I, Ro, but I thought you would be alright without me for a while. I didn’t realize it bothered you so much.”

“It didn’t at first.” Ororo replied weakly “But the girls at work have been filling my head with so much crap that…”

Logan cut her off. “What girls, and what kind of crap?”

“Betsy and Jean, mostly.” Ororo calmed down a bit. “They come up with the most outrageous and most scandalous tales they can dream up, just to annoy me.”

Logan growled instinctively. “Well, you shouldn’t let comments from the peanut gallery bother you, darlin.”

Jean and Betsy were easily Ororo’s worst enemies, living under the guises of loving her like a sister. Logan hated fake people like that and those two were definitely fake. Before, he and Ororo formally started dating, Jean had offered to blow him in her jeep, on the diner’s parking lot. That’s when Logan officially lost all respect for her.

“I’m sorry for being such a neurotic mess.” Ororo cried harder.

“That’s okay. I don’t think all my pieces fit together quite right either?”

Ororo managed to flash a quick smile before her face darkened again.

“Logan, do you still love me?”

“Of course I do, darlin’. What made you think that I didn’t.”

“Well, sometimes it feels like your just using me for sex.”

Logan lifted his head with a confused look on his face. “Where in the hell did that come from?” he asked gently.

Ororo shrugged. “I mean, whenever you come home, we don’t really ever leave this bed.”

“And, what’s wrong with that?” Logan smirked.

Ororo gently elbowed him in the ribs. “You know what I mean. At times, it feels like we don’t know each other any more.”

Logan rolled his lover onto her back and stared into her eyes. “Don’t know you, huh? Would a person that didn’t know you know the way you adore rum raisin ice cream, or how much you truly hate working at Charlie’s. How about the fact that every time you see the end of “Forrest Gump”, you bawl your pretty blue eyes out.”

Ororo started crying again as Logan continued in a calmer tone. “If I didn’t know you, I wouldn’t know how deeply you parents’ murder bothered you, or how that damned Forge used to slap you around.” Logan kissed her forehead and smiled. “If I didn’t know you, would I know that in exactly…” He glanced at the bedside clock. “six and three-quarter hours, you’ll officially turn twenty-three.”

Ororo sniffed. “You remembered all that…”

Logan cut her off again. “and a whole lot more that I won’t get into now. Logan bent down and began kissing away that streaks of tears that covered her face. “Darlin’, I don’t exactly know how you lost faith in me, but I guaran-damn-tee that I’ll get it back.”

Ororo sighed contently. “You really listen to me when I ramble on about everything, don’t you?”

“Someone’s got to. If I didn’t you’d probably be somewhere in Central Park, talking to a damn tree or something.”

Ororo laughed for the first time in days and yawned.

“Now get some rest darlin’” Logan ordered. “You and me have a long day ahead of us.”

“What do you have planned, Mr. Mystery.” Ororo chimed.

“Now, what kind of surprise would it be if it told you about it?” Logan replied as he snuggled his head between Ororo’s breasts.

“Love you, Logan.” Ororo murmured just before falling asleep.

“Love you too, Ro” Logan growled as he drifted off himself.///////





You must login () to review.