Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for the reviews, to which I have replied. Please keep reading to the end thanks!
After hearing one of his nurses complain miserably failing to get rid of a whole group of…them…Dr Clark took his chances, but not at the same angle that his nurse had tried and not for the same motive. Dr Clark was…well…understanding.
“Miss Munroe…” the doctor walked in to the room, catching the attention of all those present in the room, male and female, but not all for the same reason.
Ororo looked up at him but she forced a fake smile like before.
He smiled weakly but it was still stronger than Ororo’s. “Miss Monroe…Mr Howlett…I’m Doctor Clark…we didn’t get to meet before as you were… well…yes…James”
Ororo shuddered at the sound of his name.
“Some of our nurses and staff are finding it rather difficult to disp- t-to deal with you child as he is... your-kind of…people”
“What!” Ororo, Logan and Jean said in unison.
“Excuse me! ‘Her’ kind of people? ” Kitty enquired enraged. “We live in 21st century New York!”
“What? No, no, I meant ‘his’ kind of people too” Doctor Clark replied while gesturing to Logan, he tried to reason with them and sighed inwardly.
“Canadians?” Rogue asked with one raised eyebrow. The doctor then exhaled,
“I guess all of you belong to that kind of people” he muttered while looking at a blue-furred Henry and Scott with his visor. “Miss Monroe”, his attention went to her, as she looked like the only level-headed one there. “…We did not have- we…do…not have the knowledge or apparatus to deal with…to equip…mutants…because that is what you are…right?” he came closer to her looking earnestly at her with hazel eyes .Jean interjected.
“We are not aliens; you know…Doctor Clark is it? We share the same DNA as you” her matter-of-factly voice had not been heard in a while. “Besides, I wouldn’t risk moving…that ch-…James to another hospital? Would you?”
Doctor Clark turned his attention once again to Ororo’s side. “Well, that’s assuring, isn’t it, Miss Monroe. You see I did not know that about mutants…I hope I have not caused you any worries…I will get straight back now, Miss Monroe” he said smiling nervously but not taken his eyes off Ororo. Logan growled.
“Thank you, Doctor” she curved her mouth in to a small but sure smile but this time, another nurse walked in to the room. This one was chestnut haired and flustered.
“Excuse me…friends of Miss Monroe and Mr Howlett…I think that you need to leave now…please just let the couple be” she meant in the most sincere kindest way although it was urgent but Jean did not get this communication.
“Look…nurse…I need to be here…for my friends”
“I understand…but please…you can come back and speak later…you do not have to go home…you are perfectly allowed to wait in the…’waiting’…room”
“Look, I’m a doctor and-”
“Jean” Scott warned “Let’s go guys, she’s right…we’ll wait outside”. They all left the room but not without hugging and comforting an emotionless Ororo. Doctor Clark led them all out but left with them
“We’ll be just outside, Ororo”
“We will be always here for you, my dear”
When they had all left, Ororo emotionless face left and she began to glare at Logan who was now emerging due to the leaving crowd of “ friends.
“Who are you?!” she spat. Logan turned to her but did not meet her with a compassionate face. ‘It’s my kid too!’ he roared in his mind.
“Oh! So now ya wanna talk?” he challenged, but she looked away but still breathing furiously
“How dare you, Logan” she seethed, “Did I tell you I wanted to name my chil- the baby!”
“The baby?” he questioned. “His name is James. We agreed on it”
“Yeah? ‘Agreed’. Past tense…how can you give him a name now…Oh! So that they have something to write on the g-”
“Stop, Ro!” he ran his hand through his ebony wires of hair. If it wasn’t for his healing factor he was sure that he was going to lose hair due to the amount of times she had made him do this in the past year.
“I saw him, you know” he came dangerously close to her face, and whispered that last line in her ear.
“Be quiet” she threatened.
“Don’t ya wanna what he looked- he looks like, ‘Ro” he almost begged, his voice rasped and then stooped by the side of her bed and held on to her shoulders in order to make vain attempts to oblige her look in to his eyes. She was trying to pull away from him, weakly pushing his chest as if repelled by him.
“No, no, no I don’t want to know” she wept still continuing her fight against him, “No, Logan! I don’t want to know”
“He’s-he- is just amazing, ‘Ro…small but-”
“No! I don’t care I don’t want to know!” her voice raised but only slightly, as her energy know was being spent on her weeps. She struggled against his strength but still refused to cease her hitting of his chest.
“And his hair it’s like your-”
“Shut up please” she pleaded but this time she gave up and looked in to his eyes. She stopped everything, the hitting, the pushing the cries, everything. As if seeing him for the time moved her head slightly away from him and when the last tears from her eyes had completely expelled themselves, her vision became clear. All those expressions that she did not want to see in his eyes were there. Altogether save anger but with the addition of sorrow, like an assembly of them, right there sitting in his iris. She collapsed into his arms and tore up
“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry- I-I thought it was just…” Ororo couldn’t even continue it was like everything was falling around her.
“’Ro, please…please it ain’t ya fault” he kissed her head, gently hushing her and stroking her ivory locks that had now turned into ringlets due to the moisture incurred during the whole process.
“Oh no!” she broke down again. ‘Crap’. Logan thought, he had used the f-word.
“No…no…’Ro please, it really wasn’t it really wasn-‘”
“Just stop it! Stop lying, stop pretending, I-I can’t even believe to explain- And stop that now! Stop petting my hair and telling me that it wasn’t…” she yanked herself away from him and tried once again to get up but to no avail. Logan wouldn’t allow he grabbed her wrists and pulled her closer
“You know that…that it is my fault...” Ororo began to speak in whispers to stop herself from screaming. “I went shopping…shopping Logan! And…and I was like 7 months gone…I…you knew that I shouldn’t have gone in my condition…just be truthful, Logan”
He didn’t say anything, only pulled her straight back into arms and sat on the chair at the side of the bed. None of the others even dared to sit down on that chair while they were here.
“Now” he began “It was nobody’s fault, ‘Ro…and ya know what, we’re not even sure if he’s really de-…if he’s really go-“
The door creaked open and the amiable doctor form appeared at the entrance. His face became blank when his eyes found Ororo’s already down casted appearance. “Miss Munroe…please…I…we” he couldn’t. He had been doing this same job for the past fifteen years of his life yet those words refused to come out.
“Just say it” Logan growled lowly but menacingly.
“I’m…I’m very sorry Miss Monroe…Mr Howlett…we did the best we could” Doctor Clark then came towards the bed and knelt down, so he could speak to a slumped Ororo. He looked at her frame that automatically appeared smaller as she was cowering in to Logan’s chest. He could only see her body tremble due to her inaudible breathless sobs. Usually breaking the news was…not easy for him…but more bearable. However, to this woman…Doctor Clark sighed.
“Miss Monroe” he touched her shoulder
“Don’t touch her” Logan growled all the same but his expression did not match his voice. His eyes were shining with moisture and his lips were…pretty close to trembling.
“Mr Howlett…, please”, Logan slowly released Ororo out of his faint grasp but her weak groan almost made him grab her back.
“Miss Monroe…” she faced him now, her face, heartbroken. “Miss Monroe, I understand what you must feeling right now although you may not believe it…the least we at this hospital could do…is offer you the support needed to somehow…overcome this…”
Ororo only nodded whilst tears slid down her cheeks, she slowly looked up at Logan who was now standing up…hand on his face breathing heavily. She looked back down at Doctor Clark with her devastated face and could only say “…thank…you”.
The doctor found her hand and squeezed it, he stood up and went to do the door resting on the side and sighing. “Tabby…um Tabitha…Nurse Evans…you can come in now”
The brunette nurse now appeared at the door and gradually stepped in to the middle of the room, she was holding something but not her clipboard. In her arms was cradled, a bundle of light blue cloth. It wasn’t empty.
Ororo gasped and began to shake in horror, Logan immediately removed his hand from his face and looked down at Ororo, and he could feel the sobs coming and felt despondent because he knew that she would cry for him.
“Miss Monroe…do you want to hold him?” Nurse Evans almost held him out to her. Ororo now, yes, she began to shudder and cry. She had to look up again at Logan due to desperation but shook her head violently.
“’Ro…it’s your call…” Logan croaked while a shapeless tear slid down his face. Ororo nodded at him and whispered “yes…but Logan…please I need to be alone…” he understood and did not argue.
Nurse Evans slowly came towards Ororo as Logan began, at an even slower pace, walked away.
“I’m sorry” the nurse mumbled as she carefully and unhurriedly place the baby…James…in to Ororo’s arms and she tutted apologetically and pitiful.
Ororo inhaled and did not breathe back out, she plucked up the courage to look down, fighting back the tears and look at her child for the first time through slit ‘white’ eyes.
He lay there with a blend of mocha but rosy skin, his eyes were shut, and that made Ororo regret…I will never see those eyes- she thought. His scalp was decorated with silver strands of hair and he was so small…so tiny in her arms. The tears defeated her. She cried for every mother that had lost a child…and every father, and even for the children that were never given that chance to live. ‘I wanted to get rid of you before’ Ororo lamented in her mind, ‘Will you ever forgive me?’ she vainly asked him mentally.
She then spoke openly “I’m sorry…James” as if waiting for an answer. She did not get one. It was obvious she thought

But then…he gurgled.


Chapter End Notes:
I actually started this chapter from the end, it made it a lot easier.



You must login () to review.