A woman sat on a bench on the side of the street in the pouring rain. Tears streamed down her face as the rain hit the bruises on her wrists. She couldn't go back home, death would surely be waiting for her there. She had nowhere else to go. She had been sitting there for hours. No one had stopped to help her, it was probably close to midnight now. Her husband was probably fuming with fury with her disappearance.

"What's wrong?" Someone asked. The woman looked up, and flinched a little when she saw it was a man.

He held up his hands peacefully. "It's alright, I'm not gonna hurt ya, darlin'." She looked a him and went back to burying her face in her arm that was held out across the back of the bench.

When she realized he wasn't going to leave, she answered. "Nothing. I-I'm just waiting for the bus."

"There's not another bus fer the next six hours," the man replied, clearly knowing she was lying.

The woman sighed.

"I just wanna help ya... uh..."

"Ororo," Ororo replied. "But most call me Storm."

The man nodded. Then he looked over at her wrist. It was hard to see because of the darkness and her mocha skin, but he noticed some darker pigment. "Where'd ya get those?" he asked calmly. Though, he was raging inside wondering who would hurt this beautiful woman.

"What?" she asked, looking back up at him.

"Those bruises on yer wrist," the man replied. "Where'd ya get 'em?"

"Martial arts class," she said after hesitating for awhile. "Hazard."

"Clever response," the man replied, giving her credit. "Most wouldn't go there, but I know better than that. Those were made by fists."

Storm stayed silent.

The man sighed and sat down next to her. "Look, I'm not gonna make ya tell me what's goin' on, but at least come out of the rain and come back to my place."

She looked up at him suspiciously.

"No catch," he added quickly before she could say anything. "But you can't stay out here forever."

She could've laughed it off, but he did have a point. She couldn't stay out here forever. Her husband had connections in high places, and they were bound to find her sooner or later. She looked up at him and nodded, taking the hand he offered. He placed the leather jacket he wore around her, and they walked off into the trees nearby. Strangely enough, the rain seemed to let up, and the moon poked through the thick clouds that were in its way.

"By the way, my name's Logan."

SaS

When they reached the apartment, Storm took a seat on the couch and he went into the kitchen to grab a beer and make her some tea. When he came out, he found her huddled in one corner of the couch. She was also hugging herself as if she were cold. "Are ya hungry?" Logan asked, bringing the beautiful woman out of her thoughts.

She looked up at him, blankly for a moment- some of her hair shadowing her face- but then nodded to his question. "A little bit," she replied receiving the tea gratefully.

Logan looked at the clock above the kitchen table. "Pizza should be arriving soon, I hope you like pepperoni."

She gave him a small smile, which Logan considered a good sign, since that was the first smile he was able to get out of the woman. "I do, thank you."

"No problem, darlin'."

He got up and went back to the pantry to get some paper plates. When he got back, he noticed that the hair that had been shadowing one side of her face was pulled back, and the sight made him want to strike the guy who'd done this. She had a black eye that was partially bloody, and... was that a claw mark just below her eyebrow? A closer look confirmed it was.

Storm looked up when she felt his eyes on her, and then realized he saw her eye. She quickly tried to cover it up, but it was too late. Silently, he placed the plates down on the coffee table in front of her, and went back to the kitchen to get an ice pack. When he returned, he slowly sat down next to her. "Turn toward me," he told her gently.

She complied, but reluctantly. "What are you going to do?"

"Just hold still," he replied gently. He placed the ice pack on her eye, causing her to flinch. He recoiled his hand slightly, but gently applied more pressure again. Storm didn't recoil this time either, though Logan could tell that it was very tender. He looked down to see she had a ring on, and that meant one thing. "How often does he hit you?" he suddenly asked.

"He-he doesn't hit me," Storm said quietly, looking away from him. "He almost never touches me. The worst he's done is squeeze my wrist and shake me by the shoulders." She wasn't sure why she was spilling her problems to a perfect stranger, but it certainly helped lift the weight of the heavy burden she felt on her heart. "His goons always do it."

"Who did this to you?"

"The one they call Sabretooth. Victor I believe his name is."

Before he could ask anymore questions, the door bell rang. He got up and went to the door. There was a crash of thunder as he opened it, to reveal the pizza guy there. "Thanks," Logan said, giving the guy a tip. He turned back to the couch to see Storm relax as he brought the pizza box over. He opened it, and gave Storm a slice.

"Thanks," she said as she slowly began eating.

Logan could tell that she was scared, even if she didn't physically show it, the stench of fear was very strong on her. He didn't press her any further. It wasn't his business anyway, but he still wondered why she put up with what she was going through. Or if there was something more to it.

They finished their meal in silence. Logan got up to go to a closet and grabbed a pillow and some blankets for her. When he came back, he found her asleep on the couch, his jacket around her. She looked peaceful and serene. Gently, he took the jacket away from her and placed a pillow under her head, and the blankets around her body.

Satisfied, he went to his own room and to go to sleep. But he couldn't stop thinking about the broken battered woman on his couch.

A/N: So I've had a bit of a bad day, and when that happens, I get kinda dark in my writing. But it helps soothes my nerves usually, and I usually make sure it has a happy ending. As long as that happens, who cares how dark it is? Just long as I don't cross the line of so dark you can't bear to read it. BTW, any guess on who the "abusive" husband is?





You must login () to review.