“It hurts…it hurts. Please don’t touch it, I want mish Monwoe. I want mish Monwoe!” the boy cried, as he held his injured arm.

As if on cue Ororo came running from her greenhouse, brushing the soil from her hands onto her cutoff jean shorts. Knowing the physical pain one can suffer after a two week healing ordeal from being shot, her feet could not carry her to the child fast enough. Thank the goddess she was now completely well.

“What’s going on, what happened?” she asked. Kneeling down and immediately soothing the crying childs brow, brushing his hair away from his forehead.

“He was running, playing tag with the others, but he tripped on his untied shoelace.” Jubilee informed her.

“Can I see it, I promise not to hurt you,” she smiled, as she reached gently for his arm.

“Look there is Mr. Logan,” one of the children said that had been playing as well and was now standing by waiting to see what was wrong with their friend.

Logan was coming from the woods, his ears having picked up the young mutants cries.

Jubilee gave the little boy a subtle smile and nod.

“Can Mishtha Logan help, I want Mishtha Logan to look at it tew.”

Ororo turned her head in the direction of the approaching teammate. No expression showed upon her face. “If it will make you feel better, but I think we should get you to the med lab to let Dr. Summers take a look at it sweetheart.”

Without a word Logan gently touched the boys arm.

He winced, “Ow that hurts. Would the tew of you come with me? I want both of you to come.”

“I aint no babysi…”

“Sure sweetheart, whatever will make it better for you,” Ororo interrupted.

Logan gave her a side look, before scooping him up and carrying him into the mansion. “Come on bub. Someone needs to teach ya to tie your shoelaces.” he said with surprising tenderness.

Jubilee stood with a smile watching the three depart. That should buy them at least twenty minutes together with a single minded purpose. Her smile grew wider.

***

He found her in the library, just as he knew he would.

A soft wrap upon the door and he stuck his head around it, “Excuse me Miss Munroe, do you have a few minutes?”

“What can I do for you Bobby?”

“You said if we ever need help with comprehending our history lessons we could come to you.”

“Of course,…come in Bobby, take a seat. What can I help you with?”

For fifteen minutes they discussed the motivations of ancient conquerors and their effect upon society at the time.

The last seven minutes were spent with Bobby sneaking glances at the clock on the wall.

Right on time, the door opened. Rogue and Logan entered. I just don’t get the divergence of a vector field), Rogue was saying.

“It aint that hard darlin…”

“Do you mind not smoking that in here?” Ororo questioned at once; about his ever present lit cigar between his fingers.

He took the time to hold it up before his eyes before answering, “Yes I do.”
Quickly Rogue changed the subject, “I forgot my calculus book in my room, I’ll be right back.” in a flash she was gone.

“Mr. Logan, maybe you can offer me a different view point as to how Hitler was so successful for so long in domineering so many people.” Bobby offered, hoping to get the two of them talking.

“Assholes.”

“Hunh, what did you say?” Bobby asked shocked.

“Must you be so crass? That is no way the children will ever learn anything.” Ororo fumed.

“Really darlin? Popsicle what do you think of when I say the word assholes?”

Bobby looked from one teacher to the other. “Well first thing is jerks. Someone who doesn’t care about anyone but themselves. Pretty much selfish douche bags with little self esteem. Next is bullies, people wanting to push someone else around just cause they can. Pretty much the lowest common denominator of humanity.”

Logan sat chewing on his cigar and staring Ororo straight in the eye with a smirk. “Anything else ya need to know kid?” he huffed.

“That proves nothing Logan other than you can throw around profane words and call them answers better than anyone we know.”

So the battle of words started. She served he volleyed. He swatted, she slam dunked. Neither one saw me gather my things and leave the room. Rogue and I listened against the door for the better part of fifteen minutes before sprinting off to keep from getting caught nearing the end of their uncompromising debate.

At least they were talking now. Total time together almost thirty minutes.

***


“Excuse me Logan?” I approach him shyly while wringing my hands, hoping the tears welling in my eyes are enough for the hardened Wolverine.

He turns to me sniffing the air. I know he smells my tears. Immediately he’s sorry he did.

“Oh hell…do I even want to know half pint.” he grumbles.

Quickly I go in for the kill as to what I want. There is no playing around with Mr. Logan especially when he is this surly, which is well… all the time. Just get it done girl and stop stalling what’s the worst he can say. Maybe I shouldn’t ask that.

My mutation starts to slip and I find myself fading through the second levels hallway floor.

“Whoa, whoa whoa. Get a grip girl what’s got ya as nervous as a sinner in church?” he says while reaching out to try and help me back on solid footing.

I’m glad he can sense my distress maybe it will help with my minor subterfuge and not the total truth behind what I’m about to say.


“The other day when the Jr. X-Men were washing the cars on the drive, well I was ah…”

“Spit it out darlin’, I’m not gonna stand here till my hair turns grey.”

“Well I kinda sorta phased through Storm’s car when Warren turned the hose on me and somehow I musta gone through its computer processor. Now it’s not working and I don’t know how to tell her it was my fault, you know my affect on computers and all.” as an added bonus I nervously wring my hands.

“Yer telling me and not Storm, why.”

“Please Logan, everyone knows you’re a mechanical genius, there’s gotta be some way for you to fix it for me.”

“Not a computer chip, half pint,” he reaches out and tugs a lock of my hair, “maybe Blue can help ya with that.”

“No!” I shout too fast, now he’s looking at me suspiciously, “I mean…ah, we all know he’s good with biological stuff, not mechanical. Not like you. I was told you were the best at what you do, unless of course it’s all just an empty rumor.” I hang my head now and slyly smile, just a little.

A strong puff of air escapes his nostrils after a deep inhale and I can’t make out all the profane words he’ now mumbling, but my heart trips a beat because I know I have won.

“Damnit Half pint!”

“Oh thank you, thank you Logan!” I let my excitement show in the form of a giddy hug, that immediately turns awkward, on purpose for my part, I haveta stay in character.

“Yeah, yeah kid. But if she finds out about it anyway its yer ass and not mine in the fire, got it?”

“Got it.” I start to run off.

“Kitten,” he yells after me, “keep queen ice britches outta the garage fer the day.”

“Will do,” I yell over my shoulder, wanting to put distance between him and my subterfuge. Oh god keep me alive I breathe.

***


“Storm,” I knock on the ajar door to her office, poking my head in.

“Hello Angel, come on in.”

My wings flutter slightly as I’m certain more feathers have dropped. “Are you ready to go over the vehicle listing for the insurance appraiser, that the Professor wants.”

“Oh my, yes Warren, I nearly forgot, just give me a second to pull it up on the computers log.”

I watch as graceful hands smooth back her glorious hair before starting to rapidly fly over the keyboard.

“Um, Storm if you recall there are a few new vehicles in the garage including Logan’s that are sure to not be on the log.”

At the mention of Logan I see her faintly scrunch her nose.

“You are right Warren, thank you for reminding me.” She tries to cover her distaste, but you can feel it in the air, nice try though. “Well I guess a visit to the garage is in order, are you ready?”

Too nervous to speak I nod my head as I watch her gather a pen and pad of paper from her desk, following her out the door and into possible danger. Mentally I use my texting keypad and send ‘smh’ to the others whose bright idea I’m following. How do I get myself into this stuff.


As we enter the huge multi-car structure, she’s asking me if I know if any of the cars are not on the grounds at the moment. Lamely I tell her I’m not sure. I can’t be expected to think clearly about where all the vehicles are right now because me being the same as every other male on the premises, I’m distracted by being this close to her. Damn she’s gorgeous!

However; I digress. I stop walking once I’m part way into the garage, my part in this charade almost done.

She never notices that I have fallen behind. Her eyes are glued to the trunk of her Audi R8 China Malibu blue super car. The beast of a car has a living feral elbows deep in the V10 engine and cussing a red streak bout foreign pieces of shit, hard to get to, useless pansy assed hunks of wasted metal.

“Wolverine!”

‘Bam’ his head comes up fast and hard on the open trunk.

“G damnit, Storm!”

A really wicked smile crosses her face, witnessed by the pissed off mutants helper and the man himself.

“Ya find something funny ‘goddess’.” No compliment intended, his words are dripping with venom.

“Actually I’d like to know just what you think you are doing?” Brrrrr, each word is cold as ice.

In almost painful slow motion he picks up the rag laying on the engine to wipe his hands, then takes a cigar from his shirt pocket, lighting it once its between his teeth.

“Well…”, her hands are now on her hips, making her button front blouse pull tighter and expose more of her amazing cleavage.

“Excuse me if I may, Miss Munroe,” Peter speaks up, while the two just stand staring daggers at each other, “Logan is only trying to help us out in taking a look at your car seeing as how we may have caused some electrical damage to it. Honestly he is only trying to help.” Peter hopes the ground work has been laid for a civil and amiable conversation between the two.

Still staring at the unmoving, tight lipped Wolverine, Ororo responds to Peter, “That is all fine and good Peter, but did know one think that I should be asked first, considering this is quite an expensive and intricate piece of machinery, only one of thirty. Not easily worked on by a novice.” she finished it off with a tilt of her head, stretch of her eyes and raising of her brows.

“Really darlin, there is nothing novice about me. But ya already knew that before ya threw that little barb out there. Totally missed yer mark. And once I put my mind to something there’s nothing I cant get figured out. But seeing as how ya want to spend a kings ransom repairing this hunk of shit excuse for reasonable transportation, ya go right ahead.

Peter not having missed Logan’s first two sentences, was hit with insight that maybe Bobby and Jubes weren’t too far off their rockers. Hmmm, so the two of them did share something private and personal. Now armed with the new knowledge Peter gave his parting words to the temper rising instructor, “Please don’t blame Wolverine for doing what we know he does best…in here” he spread his hands to emphasis the garage, “Ms. Munroe. He was only trying to save our hides. If anyone’s at fault here it is us Jr. X-men. Please forgive us. Wolverine was only being helpful.”

Warren watched Peter give the nod and both were out the garage in a flash.

“You put him up to saying that.”

Logan shook his head and craned his neck towards her incredulously.

“Not all of us have a hidden agenda or ulterior motive goddess.”

“You would know better than any of us wouldn’t you!”

“I’ve had enough of your high and mighty blustering Storm, at least I know when the childs been disciplined enough to have learned their lesson. But not you, you turn correction into a cruel art practiced day after day, with no one worthy enough to gain her highnesses forgiveness.”

“Some actions don’t merit exoneration.”

“What so it’s up to you to play judge, jury and executioner. I got news fer ya, shit happens! Even as mutants we’re all human, making mistakes that some see their way to pardon and help us grow from, while others like you constantly remind us that we are worthless pieces of shit fer even deigning to err in the first place and then have the nerve to breathe your same fucked up air.”

“Clemency is only granted when one is truly sorry for wrong actions. Not when they glory in pats on the back for their unethical conquests, immune to the harm done to others.”

Logan took the time to stare at her long and hard before stating, “Which is it this time, the fact that I fucked
Jean or that I forgot to get yer permission first. Either way I don’t owe you a damn thing,” he looked at her with unveiled disdain, “Yer highness.”

Crack! The solid slap to his cheek served to turn his head to the side and knock the cigar he had been chewing to the floor.

Quick hands reached out to grab hold of both her wrists in a vise grip. His nostrils flaring as he took in deep puffs of air.

“You are hurting me! Let me go!”

“Obviously it wont be the first time. Damn it Storm I’ve had about all the punishment I’m gonna take from ya. I’m not some dog fer you to kick around and I say yer a fucking hypocrite. You take fergiveness fer yer past screw ups and then walk around like yer shit don’t stink. All the time holding mine up on a neon sign.”

“Mine does not include trying to commit murder, backstabbing a teammate or just flat out being an asshole!”

“Yer right, yers was just thievery and let’s not ferget impersonating a ‘Goddess’.”

Thunder rippled across the sky outside in boisterous discord.

Storm tore her wrists from his hold. Anger marring her beautiful face. “Do not ever touch me again, or by the goddess I will…”

“Will what Ro, ya can’t do any worse to me than ya already have, myself included. I get it I won’t dare to sully yer perfection with my murderous hands again…ever! I may be an asshole fer my past, but yer a stone cold bitch in the present.”

She’d be damned if she’d be goaded any further or brought to the edge of seeing red by the likes of him. Her answer turn on her heels and stiffly walk away.

***



How dare that book lay upon her nightstand, as she literally threw it against the far wall.

That decorator eyelet lace white pillow had no business resting easily on her bed as it met the glass balcony doors.

Of all the egotistical, chauvinistic, pompous, self absorbed, unfeeling …

Her temper nearing its peak to a dangerous outburst had to be calmed. The wind had suddenly appeared swaying large branches in its wake. Anything not bolted or heavy enough to withstand its gusts was easily tossed about to find a new resting place.

*”Calm Storm … is there something I can do” the Professors voice spoke soothingly in her head.

Taking a deep breath and smoothing her hands over her hair she replied in kind, “I am fine Charles, … I just need a moment. Thank you … it is nothing I can not handle.” a heavy sigh punctuated her mental response.

*”I am here if you need me.” just as quickly as his voice appeared it was gone.

Soft rapping upon her door drew her attention. Anything would do to distract her from her raised temper with the resident Wolverine. “Who is it?”

“Kurt, fraulein.”

“Please come in Kurt.”

With a little obvious nervousness, the blue mutant opened the door and stepped into her room, leaving the door open, as it was only appropriate.

Tired from her rant Ororo took a seat at her desk motioning for Kurt to do so as well. He propped himself on the edge of her chaise.

Knowing the shyness of the young mutant before her she prompted, “Is there something I can help you with Kurt?” A small smile finally gracing her face. The youth at the institute forever being her soft spot.

Kurt at last finding his voice again rushed in, “Pardon me fraulein, I could not help but notice in passing that something was wrong with you.” his eyes glanced toward one of the windows and the still calming wind.
Now her turn to appear nervous, Ororo twisted a little in her chair, at once ashamed and embarrassed that her temper had gotten the better of her to the notice of those at the mansion. “Please Kurt, accept my apologies, I have not meant to alarm anyone,” she hesitated before venturing on, looking for the right words, … “I just … had a trying episode. I’m much better now.”

A smile beamed across his handsome face, “I am glad you are, good now fraulein.” The wheels obviously turning in his head he ventured on, “It would seem herr Wolverine has had a … episode as well.”

Stunned for an instant at the astuteness of the young man before her, and his statement, Ororo took her time before speaking once again.

“It would seem that today has taken its toll on more than one of us in residence here. Hopefully … Logan will find the same … ease that I have, before the day is through.”

“Ja, I say so only because I came across him in the woods, … saying your name about something, as he …”
Kurts stopped talking.

“Yes.”

“Well … he was chopping a tree.”

“There is nothing strange in that Kurt. Maybe he had something he was reminding himself to talk to me about, in saying my name.”

“No fraulein, you misunderstand, … he was … clawing a tree,” Kurt held up his hands into fists to emphasize his words, “and he was very upset. Even growling.”

Ororo was at a loss as to how to proceed. Thankfully kurt rose to his feet making his way to the open door.

“I am sorry if I overstepped fraulein, it’s just that, well when someone has done something that upsets us, the only way to get over it is to forgive them and move past it. Otherwise we will be forever unhappy, no. To be unforgiving brings an impossible weight to carry around and only destroys us. I know as X-men … unity and goodwill is very important.”

Slowly she rose and walked toward him. Placing her hand on his, that now held the doorknob, she spoke softly, “Thank you.”

And with that she stood alone in her room once again. Thoughts churning in her head, but serenity now in place of outward turmoil.





You must login () to review.