A N: I haven't really been gone, just hindered with life. I am determined to finish what I start, so please forgive me for such a long hiatus, it couldn't be helped.


"Storm, Wolverine. . . the two of you take point. we have them just around the next corner, they're headed for a dead end. Kitty and Peter. . . you two take flank, make sure they don't circle back. . ." Cyclops shouted the commands into his com. .

The dust and debris, nearly constricted their breathing. The din of gunshots, the battle frenzy and the injured wailing was overwhelming. Helicopters overhead with the sounds of sirens and swirling red lights only added to the confusion. The city had become a war zone.

The fighting had been going on for what seemed like hours. Neither side able to gain the upper hand; until now. So much had been decimated. So many wounded. Though they fought to protect lives, the X-men knew they would be taunted as a prime cause in the conflict. It was a lie miles from the truth. Still they fought to bring about order in the midst of all out insanity.

"Jean, Hank, take care of the wounded and evacuate them to safety. Rogue, Bobby and myself will continue to hold down this safety zone."

Scott was in full leadership mode. Chaos had reigned all around them and the Brotherhood had fought against the uniformed men, who were not a part of the country's armed forces, yet almost as trained, but ruthless. Hatred had been the order of the day. Uncalled for bigotry and fear from both sides fueled the flames.

The destruction to the city was extensive within a five block radius. Casualties. . . numerous. Hatred showed no sympathy for the innocent lives caught in the mix of their impromptu, unsanctioned battle. The X-men having arrived well into the heat of it all were hard pressed to confront both sides to bring about an end to it all.

"Storm. . . can you do something to create a buffer to contain these assholes?" Wolverine spoke into his com. device. Knowing that she would hear him from her position above the blockade, while she tried to clear their lines of sight with her winds. All the while keeping the soldiers corralled with him. Soldiers who were desperately seeking an escape route.

"Wolverine, where are you going," Storm asked, seeing the feral turn to leave their commanded post.

"I smell a coward on the run and he's mine."

"Not now Wolverine, you are in no position to face Magneto alone," instinctively she knew of whom he spoke, "we have our orders!"

"You follow the boy scout, I'm going hunting."

"Logan!" No further words came, a loud shot split the air as Storms shout died on the wind and her body began to fall.

"Storm! Noooooo!" torn from Kitty's throat. "Colossus! Get Storm."

Before Peter could move, Logan was under her falling body. Colossus soon at his side.

Kitty screamed into her com link, "Cyclops, Storms been hit!"

"Everyone back to the blackbird now! Our work here is done."

Before her body could make impact, Wolverine leapt from the ground, his strong thighs spring loading him forward toward the falling goddess. Twenty feet into the air his arms locked onto her limp body. Now both propelled to earth just as Colossus' steel banded arms caught them both as gently as he could.

"Move, move. . . move," Logan shouted never releasing his hold upon Storm, once free of Peter's hold, all of them taking off to the blackbird.


Beast had been wrist deep in the blood of the goddess. Thankfully, she was a strong woman, much tougher than her grace and manner let on. The armor tipped bullet had pierced her left lung, causing it to collapse, fracturing two ribs, in the process. Between Hank and Jean the surgery and patch up on the Windrider was a quick success. After, she was kept under sedation to ease her rapid healing process, that would not even allow for scarring. An added benefit of miraculous healing abilities from housing thousands of volts of electricity through ones body.

During the tense surgery, not once had Wolverine taken the time to wash the blood from his hands or change his blood soaked uniform. The smell was playing havoc on his sensitive nose and frankly he didn't care. Like the rest of the X-men, he waited anxiously for the news of their fallen second in command. a niggling guilt eating at his mind. The second it took for her distraction in confronting his disobedience to a direct order, one of the soldiers had pulled a concealed weapon and fired upon Storms hovering form.

Damn his hotheadedness. It could have cost Storm her life, for sure an unnecessary injury.

Now he sits upon the balcony railing leading to her room. Inhaling the blood free scent in the darkness that enshrouds him. A spot that is not new to him. He has been here many times before. Each time has kept his presence secret.

She despises him. He knows this. It is something that is completely earned, though no matter what his actions, still he is not forgiven.

He came to this place on a mission. To assassinate the person who means the world to her. Professor Charles Xavier. Instead he adopted the mans dream and turned his back on the deceiver who sent him there to do the task in the first place. The one he wanted to take his revenge on tonight. A man, who by his estimation is as bad as his torturers from his past. Tonight proved to him that hindsight is twenty twenty vision.

Not only did he come here under false pretenses, but he also flirted, chased and bedded her friend. All without ever telling her after he had set his sights on her. The wooing of her was not as easy as her redheaded friend. She was different. A prize. Something worth keeping if won. Too bad his quest was not truthfully made known before his deception on one count was revealed. Damn.

I can tell you this because I am privileged to his innermost thoughts. I am close to him. I have touched him and gained his memories. I alone am party to his regrets and his little happiness. I dared not touch him too long or else he would die by my gift. Strange to call such a thing a gift huh. Probably more a curse at most times. But; it is what it is.

I can never betray that that I know, but now I have set my mind along with the others to help him along the path that I know he truly desires to follow.

I am called Rogue. A title more befitting him, but it is the moniker that I have taken. I have one strong desire other than the one to be able to touch and be touched without harm. I long to touch him and feel nothing but happiness. So I have agreed to what I think will truly make that possible.





You must login () to review.