The next morning, Logan made arrangements to make Ororo his assistant. "He really seems to like you," Logan noted as he watched Ororo in the pasture with the stallion.

"Is it me?" Ororo asked. "Or is it the kindness? This horse has been abused."

"How can you tell?" Logan asked, jumping over the fence and approached them.

"The scars," Ororo replied, gently rubbing her hand along the horse's side. "You can hardly notice them, because he's black, and they blend in well, but see the darker marks?"

Logan came closer, while Ororo soothed the horse. "Yeah," he said, shocked. "I can't believe this. Is this why he's always been skittish and violent around us?"

"Probably," Ororo replied, smoothing the horse's mane. "Though, I doubt you boys were very kind to him. There's fresh spur marks on his rump, which only adds to his distrust."

"That was probably Victor or maybe the boss. John and I don't use spurs on the horses."

"Good," Ororo said, forming small circles with the tip of her fingers. "That means I won't have to risk a whipping giving you a speech on horses."

Logan smiled and shook his head. "Yeah, that wouldn't be too good on your part, especially if it's Victor. He would do much worse than just give you a few whips. He'd try to have his way with you, and he will succeed."

"Why are you telling me this, Logan?" she asked.

"'Cause I don't wanna see ya get hurt," Logan replied, watching as the horse relaxed under her touch. He studied her features, admiring how her hair flowed in the wind; watching how her hands moved along the horse, and what they did when they stopped. A loud crack in the air brought him out of his thoughts.

"Snowy," Victor called. "Are ya workin'?!"

Ororo looked up at him, not sure of what she should say. The whip scared her after yesterday's experience, and she didn't want to say anything that would allow him the chance to hit her.

"Leave her alone, Victor," Logan said. "She's helping me out with this stallion. The boss okayed it."

"Whatever you say, Jimmy," Victor said going into the fields.

Logan instinctively stepped a little closer to her, but relaxed his guard as his brother disappeared into the distance. "Do you think we'll be able to put a saddle on him soon?"

"Maybe," Ororo replied. "Does he have a name, though?"

"Not that I know of."

"I like Midnight Thunder, or Thunder for short," Ororo said.

"That works," Logan said in agreement. "I'll go get the saddle," he said, hurrying over to the tack room. As he was coming back, he heard Thunder squealing, and Ororo's scream. He dropped the saddle and rushed back to the pasture; Victor was out there, whipping the horse, which was in front of Storm.

"Get away from him!" Storm cried as Thunder reared, trying to strike Victor with his forelegs.

A strong wind was blowing their way, and there was a rumble of thunder. "Victor!" Logan yelled, jumping the fence and knocking him away from the horse. "I thought I told you to leave them alone."

"The horse turned on the slave," Victor smirked. "I was trying to get it under control."

Logan glared at him, but instead of lashing out, he released him. "Get back to the fields, and I'll take care of the horses."

Victor snickered as he got up and walked away. When he was gone, and no one else was watching, Logan helped Ororo up. "You alright, darlin'?"

"Fine," Ororo said, shaking off her dress. She hurried over to Thunder, calming him down until he was just trembling. "I think that's enough for today. I'll just take him back inside."

"Good idea," Logan agreed. "It's about to rain."

Ororo nodded, and led Thunder inside. They went their separate ways afterwards. Later that night, the rain started to pour. Logan watched from his room as the thunder rolled, and lightning flashed. He figured he should check on the horses before turning in. As he checked on Thunder, the stallion was going crazy. Logan knew he had to get the other horses to the pasture first, before they all went berserk. After calling John, they got all the horses out in the pasture.

When they returned to the stall, the horse had calmed down, responding to a soothing voice. "Easy, there, Thunder, it's just mother nature. There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Beauty?" Logan called.

Ororo looked their direction, and bowed her head. "I heard him causing a wrack it in his stall, and tried to see if I could do anything to help."

"Good thing," John said. "His stall probably would've busted open before we finished gettin' the horses out."

"Ya did good," Logan approved.

"Snowy!" a voice called. Ororo froze, and the horse stiffened next to her, sensing her fear. She took a breath, said goodbye to Thunder and disappeared into the rain.

Logan went into his own room, and fell into a fitful slumber.

FL

Ororo walked into the bunker and was about to head into the bedroom, when she was grabbed by some strong hands. "You know what happens when you sneak out at night?" Victor whispered. Ororo tried to fight him off, and ended up being dragged into the other room where she was chained to get whipped. What happened next, was anyone's guess.

FL

Logan woke up as the storm grew worse. He thought he should head into the storm cellar, when there was a loud clap of thunder and a lightning bolt struck close to the bunker. Logan walked outside to make sure everything was alright. As he came by the stables, where the horses were grazing outback, he saw someone running through the rain. She stumbled, fell and struggled to get up through the pouring rain. Thankfully, the thunder and lightning were gone. "Are you alri-" he began, only to be cut off when he saw who it was. "'Ro?" he asked. Ororo nodded, tears streaming out of her eyes. Logan hugged her gently, rubbing her back, and shushing her. "It's okay, darlin', it's okay... What's wrong? What happened?"

It took awhile, but eventually the rain cleared up, and Ororo sniffed, looking up at him. "Victor... he-he grabbed me, and was about to flog me..." Logan looked at her wrists, and saw the burn marks of chains on them.

"I'll talk with him," Logan said, gently touching the burn marks. She didn't even flinch.

"There's something I have to tell you," she said, looking into his eyes.

"What is it, darlin'?"





You must login () to review.