This was written for Storm/Wolverine Week, and each chapter will be in response to a particular prompt. I actually wasn't planning to do a movieverse fic for RoLo Week, but seeing that deleted scene from DoFP ("Farewell to Logan") threw me in for a loop. So this will be taking it as canon!

one: dawn ;

Logan didn't know what to expect once he'd woken up in the right body, in the right year. They'd told him that the mission wasn't even a sure thing - yes he could fix everything, but he could also just as well fix nothing.

Thankfully, it seemed that it had worked, for the most part. Things had gone back to what passed for normal: the school had never closed down, and people he thought he'd never see again were alive and well. And Logan was once again a man living with lost memories, about forty years of history gone in a flash.

But this time, he had help.

"Of course, we can't technically help you with everythin'," Rogue was saying, tucking her long hair back behind her ears. "Just the mem'ries you've made here ever since Scott and 'Roro picked you an' me up from the back of your burnin' pick-up. But that's ages an' ages, so we've got a lot to cover."

They were sitting in his office (he had an office) with his class records open across his desk. Ms. Marie was the substitute History teacher for the morning class because of how well she'd done with the subject matter when she'd been a student ten years ago, but also because supposedly he'd personally asked her to help him get up to speed with his lesson plan once he woke up from the seventies.

Apparently, as Logan had come to find out shortly after he walked into Charles' office that first day back, they'd been prepared for this. A couple of years ago, Charles and Hank had come clean about the first time they'd both truly met Logan, in 1973. Just as Logan had a hard time convincing them of his story from the future, they'd had a difficult time convincing everyone about this story of a time travelling Wolverine. Kitty herself couldn't bring herself to believe it - her powers were not even remotely telepathic. But, as only the Professor could, he brought them around eventually. And so, despite not knowing the exact date of Logan's return to them, they'd prepared as best as they could.

Wolverine had never really been one for keepsakes. But as he was startled to find, his room had a few photo albums from the last couple of years, several mementos from various trips and even a journal or two tucked into the bookshelf lining his bedroom wall. Several of the mansion's residents had similar tokens and pictures of him as well, and all of them were only too happy to help him recover or relive the memories that his former self had made with them.

Naturally, Logan balked at the idea of spending so much time with so many people at once. It seemed that though they were advised to give him space, many of them still wanted to get to know him and this strange, apocalyptic alternate time that they had parts in. What was it like? What were they like? Did they have other powers too? What had they been doing?

"Dead or dying or fighting for your lives," he'd been tempted to say. So far only Hank knew about his other self's fate, and that was only because Logan'd told him on impulse when they were facing off with Magneto back in Washington. He managed to hold off from telling the others, about what that timeline had made them and how dark and ugly it truly got for them all. He didn't know how he'd ever be able to tell those of them that'd died how it happened, or if he would ever tell them at all. So he answered their questions with a measure of caution.

He couldn't even look Jean in the eye without getting a flash of the last time he'd seen her, broken and bleeding and pleading with him to kill me Logan please please save me-

He shut his eyes at the shudder that ran through his body from the memory.

Beside him, Rogue looked at him in concern. "- Logan? Y'okay?" When he didn't answer, she reached out to the books spread between them, closing them gently and unobtrusively, while keeping a concerned eye on him. "... We don't gotta finish this right this minute, y'know. Maybe pick this up tomorrow?" She paused for a tick, frowning when he didn't answer. "... Logan?"

"... Yeah." He managed, finally. Nodded and caught his breath. "Yeah. Tomorrow. Sounds good."

"Good." She masked her worry with a bit of a smile. "Y'gonna be okay?"

Logan looked up, his grin a bit more sincere than he'd intended. It was gratifying to know that even today, in this other timeline, Marie still got how he worked. Anyone else would be smothering him with worry. Marie could express her concern without positively drowning him in it, and that was more reassuring than words could say.

"Sure. Y'know me, kid." He reached out, cuffed her shoulder. She grinned. "Tougher than most."

"Alright, tough guy." She laughed, gathering books and pens as she stood up. "I'll see ya tomorrow, okay? Same time, same place, etcetera."

He checked the time, then arched an eyebrow at her. "Aren'tcha gonna be at dinner?"

Her cheeks pinked. "Nope. Actually, it's good we finished early. I'm supposed ta be gettin' ready for a night out with Bobby."

"Out?" He frowned. Wasn't it a school night? Didn't the school have rules about that? "For what?"

"It's their anniversary, Logan," spoke a new voice from his door. Logan glanced up, knowing who it was without having to look. "They've got reservations at the pier."

Rogue smiled brightly. "'Roro, hey! What's up?"

"Hello, Rogue," Ororo replied, smiling warmly. "Kitty sent me. I've been instructed to inform you two that she's officially cutting your, and I quote, afterschool pow-wow, in the name of romance and curling irons everywhere." Ororo raised her brows high for a beat, then chuckled. "Though I see I wasn't needed after all."

Logan rolled his eyes, answering before he realized he had something to say: "We're always gonna need you, 'Ro."

Ororo startled, looking at him in surprise.

"... Aaaand that's my cue ta exit," Rogue muttered under her breath, ducking out the door. "Ah'll catch y'all later!"

Thankful for the brief distraction, Ororo took a moment to watch the younger woman zip out the office with a fond smile and a shake of the head. "That girl..."

Meanwhile, Logan was looking anywhere else but at the weather witch in his office. Unfortunately his eyes strayed to the picture frame sitting on his desk. He'd turned it to face slightly away from him a couple days ago, because he hadn't had the heart to stuff it into a drawer with the rest of the other framed mementos that had littered his desk previously.

It was a photo of him and Ororo. They were sitting on a high branch of a tall tree, facing away from the camera and apparently absorbed in whatever conversation they'd been caught up in. The sky behind them was awash in blues and pale oranges - a sunrise.

"... Sam took that," Ororo said softly, when she followed his gaze to the photo. "You and I took him and some others on a survival trip in the Rockies a few years ago. If I remember correctly, this was just when Kitty decided that if there was any truth to Charles and Henry's story, we would need a collection of Wolverine mementos." She smiled briefly, remembering how much Logan had come to hate having his picture taken when it became a sudden trend among their teammates. "You threatened to gut whoever took any photos of you on that trip. Naturally, the kids decided to take it as a challenge..."

Despite himself, Logan grinned. 'A few years ago', he'd been sneaking into a Sentinel warehouse with Storm and a few others, intent on sabotaging their production line before they add to their ever growing fleet. It had worked, though at great cost to their team roster...

He picked up the frame, tilting it at an angle so he could study the picture further. He and Ororo were sitting apart, but she had her head tilted slightly towards his, as if to whisper something in secret. He wondered what it was she'd said to him.

"... So what happened to Sam?" He asked, more casually than he felt.

"Pardon?"

He put the frame back down. "You said I'd gut whoever took any pictures o'me. Did I tan his hide or what?"

"Oh," Ororo chuckled. "No, of course not. Not for lack of threatening to, of course. But I believe that was also when they would finally come to learn that your bark was far worse than your bite." She smiled at him fondly and the sight was so achingly familiar to him that Logan was grinning back before he could help himself.

A beat passed before Ororo finally spoke again, clearing her throat. "... Anyway, I was supposed to tell you that dinner's on the table, and to ask if you were up for joining us, tonight?"

He'd been avoiding eating with everyone else for the last couple of days. He was getting the hang of talking to people he thought dead, but being in the same room with them all at the same time, was pushing it, even for him.

With Storm, it was a little different. He spent the better part of the last ten or so years at her side, even after the X-Men had been forced to break off into smaller groups all over the world. In effect, he was comfortable with her in a way that he wasn't with the others, even the Professor. She may not have been the same woman he left behind, and as far as he'd figured, the two of them weren't even together in this timeline... but it was getting harder and harder to watch his words (and his actions) around her.

"Could use a night out, to be honest," he finally answered, shrugging. She masked her disappointment well, but he hadn't been friends with her for years for nothing. "Why don't you come with, though? Dunno if I know the city as well as I used to."

She gave him a half-smile. "It is a school night, you know."

"Didn't stop Rogue and Bobby," He pointed out, rolling his eyes. She hesitated for a few more seconds. "C'mon. I'll even try to be back by curfew."

That did it; she chuckled and shook her head. "Fine. But we're taking my car. And let me change into something a little more appropriate, alright?"

He grinned.






You must login () to review.