Author's Chapter Notes:
The children plan surprise birthday party for Ororo, but Logan gives her a surprise of his own.
***Thanks for all the reviews so far. Makes me less nervous as this is my first venture into fiction.***


Chapter 2 - Birthday Surprise

Relationship Status - pre


All this pomp and circumstance was positively nauseating and pissing him off. He had to get away, but it was too early in the day to patron Harry’s, even at his standards. The children and staff were setting up for the surprise birthday party they planned for Ororo. She was off on a goodwill mission with Chuck, so they used the opportunity to get everything together for the resident dorm mother. Logan purposefully strode to the kitchen to grab that six pack he had in the refrigerator and make a beeline to his cool down spot in the woods behind the mansion.

He was almost out the door when Rogue cornered him. “Hey shug. Can ya help meh with setting up some tables?”

Logan growled. “Sorry Marie. On my way outta here for a while.”

Rogue rolled her eyes at him. “Aww come on Logan. It’s fah Miss Munroe. E’vryone is pitching in.”

Unable to refuse her anything, Logan replied grouchily, “Fine, but don’t ask me ta do anythin’ else when I’m done.”

Rogue graced him with the smile she reserved just for him. “Thank you shugah.” She pulled him towards the recreational room where everyone was busy setting up. He did the job he was commissioned to do, then went about his business.

Later on in the evening, the party was in full swing. Ororo was beyond surprised when it was revealed what they did for her. Normally, she will spend her birthday in quiet reflection, but the party was a pleasant and welcomed surprise, especially knowing that the children were involved. From where she stood conversing with Rogue and Kitty, she quietly observed Logan leaning against the wall in the furthest and darkest corner of the room. She was unable to see his face, but from his body language, she knew he was uncomfortable in the festive setting and probably wishing he was causing mayhem somewhere. She also knew that the fact that there was no alcohol at the party because of the children, contributed to his discomfort.

Ororo excused herself from the two young mutants and made her way over to where he was. Logan shifted when he noticed her walking over to him with that smile he adored on her gorgeous face. He stood up tall and folded his arms across his chest. “Hello Logan.”

He grunted his response. “Why don’t you join the others instead of standing here all alone.”

Her melodic voice was doing funny things to his insides. “I’m fine Storm. Ya know this is not my kinda scene.”

She laughed lightly. “I know. However, I wish for you to enjoy the evening along with everyone else.”

“Nah, I’m headin’ out soon." He turned around and grabbed a haphazardly wrapped present he had placed on the corner table when he came in. He held the gift out to her with a mumbled ‘Happy Birthday’.

Ororo stared at the gift then at him, a look of utter disbelief on her face. She took the gift from him, automatically knowing from the shape of it, it was a flower pot of some kind. She unwrapped the gift and was stunned further at the beautifully designed flower pot filled with soil with a delicate orchid plant in the middle of it. Orchids were one of her favorite plants, how he knew that, she did not know. Logan took pleasure in seeing the joy on her face when she saw the plant. He had overheard Jean saying that Ororo adored the flower.

She looked up at him with the most magnificent smile he’d ever seen. “Thank you Logan. I absolutely love this.” Without warning, she tiptoed and place a gentle kiss to his whiskered cheek. He stiffened at the unexpected contact. His inner beast rejoiced, itching to come out. One word resonated in his head...Mine. He ignored the beast and nodded his head at her. “Yeah, well, yer welcome.”

She laughed again, the musical sound making his jeans tightened. “I know you are itching to leave now, so enjoy the rest of your evening. Thank you again Logan.”

He grunted and wished her goodnight and left the room as quietly as he came. He left Ororo with the most brilliant smile on her face and everyone else wondering what brought it on.





You must login () to review.