Chapter 2

Instincts. Following her instincts has gotten her far in life. She trusts them still. His bike is here. He was the best at hide and seek, but usually when he played no one sought him out… until now.

“Ready or not ” she breathed.

The six-story buildings slow dilapidation told a story against the always-developing city. The lock was an easy pick, gaining her entrance to the lobby. Stale urine, discarded and spilled beer wafted throughout the hall. She looked up, the winding staircase seemingly endless. He couldn’t make this easy, she sighed.

Familiar with the building, she made short work of the stairs and took small strides to her destination.

I could knock, but what’s the point? she thought. She grabbed for the knob. Turning it quickly to avoid the creaking sound. She entered the dark room, closing the door then leaning against it.

She couldn’t see in the dark as he could but her eyes adjusted to various object and his movement. Cigar in hand, he lifted it to his shadowed lips. He was diagonal to the left of her in the corner. She knew he was watching, for all her straining she was watching him as well.

“You unlocked it for me. When did you know?”

“By the third floor for sure” He moved into the light. “You came knockin’, why?”

She never left the door “Why did you leave?”

“Need ta think”

“About”

“Things”

This is what she wanted to get passed. “Why do we play these games?”

“What games are those, Darlin’?”

“Games like this one, James.” He involuntarily shuddered at the use of his name. “Right now it’s 20 questions and vague answers, it’s usually our ongoing game of tag I was referring to. The one where you’d kiss me and run”

“Keepin’ tabs?”

She pushed off the door slightly taking one step closer the back of an over turned chair. “My friend, I spend too many nights alone, so it’s prudent, as well as beneficial at times that I remember those moments that come so fleetingly.”

He leaned back against the wall, the light outside the window making the inside duskier than dark. “S’shame. Beautiful woman like you shouldn’t be alone. ‘Specially at night.”

“Not many offers. Perhaps I am not as beautiful as you say. I think my hair is the wrong color. I suppose I’ll have better luck as a red-head.” Her downcast eyes picked up to catch his.

“What’re you gettin’ at, ‘Ro?”

She tilted her head forward using the cowboy hat to shield her face. Looking at her heel clad feet, visible knee, trench-coated chest and fumbling hands, she debated her answer knowing he could sense a lie. And it was too late to lie.

“I want you. I’ve always wanted you, but it was obvious years ago that I could not have been your choice. You wanted another and I accepted that. And then our escape in the kitchen… feeling I buried surfaced and you left. I was confused but I accepted it for a while, as I have always done. I’ve always accepted you as is, wanted you as you are…” Logan sensing her beginning awkwardness, slowly closed in on her. “… damn, as I ramble on I realize perhaps this was not as wise and I’ve made a mistake in coming here.”

She turned, her hand on the knob again willing herself not to open it, but losing against her fear or rejection. The knob turned, the door creaked, it was slightly ajar, but in that short time, he was upon her and she found herself stuck between the door and a hard person.

“Can’t let ya go.”

“Please, Logan…”

“What’s my name?” He breathed, nuzzling the hollow of her neck.

“James, please, let me leave with the little dignity I do have left.”

He looked Ororo in her eyes and she found herself speechless. Afraid of his intense gaze, she looked away. He tilted her head back to meet his. “You always have your dignity, what you’re gonna lose is your control”

She gasped and in that opportune moment, he claimed her mouth. He moved slowly over her neck, “What’s under the coat?” He tugged at the belt and deftly undid the buttons without much protest. She was lost in the heady sensations. Until she realized what he was intending to do.

“Wait, Logan don’t.” Too late.

“Sweet Jesus,” he growled. “You wore next to nuthin’ in public for me?

“I am wearing nothing.”

“You’re wearin’ my hat, but not for long.”





You must login () to review.