3. EARLY MORNINGS

Summary:
Back to the Kitchen....and what has Jubilee all riled up?


“Ororo and Logan……what a dream?”

Next day, Xavier Mansion,

Saturday mornings at the Xavier mansion were usually quiet, with both the faculty and students sleeping in late after late Friday nights at the mansion or out in the city.
Knowing as much, Jean wasn’t surprised to find the kitchen empty….well almost empty. The only person in the kitchen was sitting in a corner, a newspaper held over his face.

“Red,” was Logan’s way of wishing her Good morning. Knowing Logan, the endearment could as easily be used at any other time and/or situation.
“Good morning Logan,” Jean smiled at him, knowing that he could sense it even from behind the paper. “You’re up early.”
Pushing the paper down, Logan gave her one of his patent raised eyebrow looks. “Jeannie its nine o’clock. The sun came out three hours ago.”
“Yes, I know,” Jean replied good-naturedly. “But its Saturday, everyone sleeps in, except…”
“Except?” Logan questioned.
“Except Ororo” Jean blushed at the memory of the previous night’s intense dream. “….and now apparently you.”

“Jeannie…” Logan’s voice dropped in volume, his nose flaring as he breathed in deep. “Yer spiking.”
“Spiking?” Jean wondered aloud, before realizing that Logan had smelled her sudden arousal. “Logan!” she scolded him, her pink blush turning crimson. “That’s not a way to talk to a lady.”
“I call it as I smell it.” Logan shrugged his shoulders. Raising the paper back, his gave another quip; one which he knew would push her buttons even further. “What happened, Scooter getting you hot and bothered?”
“Hot and Bothered?” Jean giggled at his choice of words. “Logan you have been spending too much time with Jubilee.”
“Well like you said, I don’t know how to talk to a lady. So I tried it another way.” Jean could sense Logan grinning smugly on the other side of the paper. ‘Two can play this game buster,’ she thought.

“Well if you must know…” she spoke nonchalantly, all the while paying attention to Logan’s reaction. “If you must know…the reason for my being all ‘hot and bothered’ as you term it, is Ororo.”
Logan’s grin dropped instantly. “What about Ororo?” he growled at her. “Jean? What are ya talking about?”
“Oh nothing,” Jean internally smiled at the gruff Canadian’s reaction. Maybe her suspicion was correct. ‘This requires further investigation’.
“What about Ororo?” Jean jumped, noticing that Logan was standing in front of her. “What are you talking about?” he sounded serious, maybe even pissed off.
“Nothing…” she backtracked on her attitude. Even though she knew Logan wouldn’t hurt her, she didn’t want to anger him. Because an angry Wolverine was a very dangerous Wolverine, his already tenuous control stretching even further. It would only lead to some poor soul getting his ass kicked.
“If it’s nothing then why did ya say it?” Logan wasn’t going to leave her without an explanation.
“Really Logan, its nothing,” Jean tried to sooth the Wolverine. She hadn’t expected for a such a reaction from Logan, especially towards her. “Its…Its just…”
“What is it?” Logan’s advances had pushed Jean back to the counter.

“I had a dream,” Jean blurted out.
“A dream…” confusion came over the previously angry expression. “What’s that gotta do with Ororo?”
“She was in my dream…and so were you,” Logan still didn’t understand where Jean was going with her ‘dream’ explanation.
“Me!!” Now Logan’s eyes widened in surprise, his tone turning curious. “What was I doing in yer dream.”
“In that dream….” Jean gulped. “In that dream…you were…ummm…you know…”
“What?” Logan was practically yelling now. He had wanted to get the information and get away as soon as possible, before Marie and her friends ‘commandeered’ his services and time for their weekly trip to the mall or some other stupid teenage shit.

“In that dream you…and Ororo…you…I mean the both of you….”
“WHAT? What were we doing?”

“You were having SEX.” Jean yelled back at him, her cheeks flush with anger.
“What?!” Logan’s color paled, his voice squeaking.

“You and Ororo were having sex.” Jean repeated as she pushed him back.

----

-CRASH-

Both Jean and Logan snapped their heads towards the source of the sound.

In the doorway of the kitchen, stood Ororo, her eyes wide in shock at the words she had just heard. Pieces of her broken coffee mug were lying at her feet, residual coffee splattered all over her sandaled feet.

“Morning ‘Ro,” Logan grinned at the stunned weather goddess, his heated gaze practically undressing her right there in the kitchen. “Jean was telling me about her dream. Go on Jeannie….tell us,” he spoke suggestively. His eyes never leaving the gentle rise and fall of Ororo’s breasts, he slid his tongue out and expectantly licked his lips. “….an’ don’t leave out anything.”
“LOGAN!” Jean was shocked at the *indecent* projections being sent out by feral mutant. His intense thoughts made her dream feel like a teenage make out session.
“What?” Logan caught himself from toppling over as Jean telekinetically shoved him away from her.

Rousing herself from her stupor, Ororo bent down to pick up the broken porcelain pieces, her actions pushing her breasts up and revealing the top of her cleavage to Wolverine’s appreciative eyes. “Grr…” his sexual growl caused Ororo to look up, his penetrating gaze causing her to shrivel in embarrassment.
“So Jean…” he turned to the redhead as Ororo got up. “….tell us. How? When? Where?” he asked cryptically; his pants suddenly tight against his straining erection.
“What do you mean?” Jean was momentarily confused before understanding the true meaning of his questions.
“Come on Jeannie…ya can tell us,” Logan goaded her. “Hey ‘Ro, don’t ya wanna hear this?”
“Thank you Logan, but no,” the African beauty shook her head. “Although I appreciate the thoughts behind your offer, I’ll leave you and Jean alone to explore her dreams and your fantasies.”
“But ‘Ro, ya are in this too.” Logan made a puppy face…well, in his case…tried to make one. “This is about…”

He stopped mid-sentence, as a scent reached his nostrils….a scent of artificial flavors.
“Oh shit,” he cursed his eyes growing wide. ‘The firecracker.’

Stepping away from Jean, he jumped towards the door farther from the approaching teenager.
“Logan what happened?” Jean was taken aback at this sudden change in behavior, while Ororo gave a knowing smile. She knew what or rather who was going to happen – Jubilation ‘Jubilee’ Lee. The one mutant who caused even the mighty Wolverine to flee in fear…..in fear of losing his sanity.
“Later Jeannie,” Logan mumbled turning around the corner. A moment later, his head popped back through the door.
“Hey ‘Ro,” Ororo looked at him. “Ya get all the details and later we can discuss it together. Who knows…maybe one day ya can let me ride yer…winds,” he gave a parting wink before disappearing completely.

A few seconds later, a yellow clad Jubilee entered the kitchen.

----

“Hey any of you guys seen Wolvie?” she asked trying to stifle a huge yawn.

Both Ororo and Jean smiled at Jubilee’s endearment for Logan. Jubilee was the only mansion resident who was able to go toe to toe with Logan in frustrating people by coming up with new nicknames.
In some ways, she even surpassed him. She had four names for Logan alone – Wolvie, Wolfy, Wolvester and Wolvmeister. Apart from these four common ones, she made new ones depending on some event that caught her attention.
“He just…” Jean raised a finger to point towards the other door.


*Wrrroommm…*

The start and revving of a motorcycle engine interrupted her, as Logan hastily pulled out of the garage and sped towards the mansion gates.
“…left,” completed Jean.

“ROGUE!” Jubilee’s screech caused both Jean and Ororo to clamp their ears shut.

“ROGUEY….” Jubilee ran out of the kitchen, yelling all the way to hers, Rogue’s and Kitty’s room. “….Wolvie ran off again.”

“Now he’s going to get it,” Jean chuckled, imagining Logan being harassed by the three teenage sirens, with Rogue and Kitty softening him and Jubilee going in for a kill.

She knew that he cared for the three girls. But some things even freaked him out… chief among them their weekend shopping sprees and the Sunday afternoon ‘sappy romantic movies’. Jubilee was the worst of all. She was the ultimate mall-rat, who even as she was doing this weekend’s shopping, was already talking about what she had planned for the next weekend.

Shoving all thoughts of Logan pulling at his hair in anger and exasperation, Jean turned to her current prey; standing not five feet away from her. Logan had managed to pull his ‘Crude-Horn dog’ routine and embarrassed her earlier, but now she was confident that she would be able to handle the civil and serene Ororo.

----

Resisting the temptation of peeking at her best friend’s thoughts, she decided to try talking to her.

She started by observing Ororo closely, trying to discern any change in the Nubian beauty’s behavior and/or body language. She seemed to be in a lighter mood, but that was nothing new. Ororo had been in her greenhouse since early morning, tending to her plants. That always seemed to calm her.
Saturday was one of the few days when she could do that without having to worry about class schedule or danger room routines or any other of the many x-men related problems. Ever since taking over as co-leader, things had become more hectic for her. Her personal free time had decreased and hence the importance of the time she spent in her sanctuary had grown.

Even her clothes were nothing out of the ordinary. It was white, just like most of her *normal everyday wear*. The only thing that wasn’t white, was the sky blue scarf, which was tied in her hair to keep her long white tresses bound and under control.

“Jean?” Ororo’s concerned voice interrupted her reverie. “What is the matter? What are you looking at?”
“You.” Jean answered abruptly. Her smile and focused gaze told Ororo that she was fishing for some gossip material. Right now she wasn’t Jean Grey-Summers, X-Woman. Right now she was Jean Grey-Summers, Private Eye wannabe.

“Me!!” Ororo feigned innocent surprise.
“Yes, YOU.”
Walking towards Ororo, she circled her. “There is something different about you today.” She mused aloud, tapping her finger on her chin. “Hmm. Yes! I got it.”
“What?” Ororo narrowed her eyes. Jean was trying it again. She used this routine whenever she wanted to intimate/confuse the other person….and it usually worked, but only with her students. The rest of the x-men knew her well and also knew that they needed to strengthen their mental shields when she got in this particular look
“What did you get? And what do you mean by saying that I look different?”
“You have, hmm…Got it,” Jean snapped her fingers. “You have a freshly laid look.”

“JEAN!” Ororo cried out. “What’s gotten into you? First you were after Logan and now me. If you go on continuing like this, you will soon be accusing the Professor of ‘wheeling around in the nude,’” she chuckled at her last words.

“Ororo, I am not joking.” Jean was slightly annoyed now. Ororo just turned the tables on her, by shoving a visual of Professor Xavier moving through the mansion, naked as the day that he was born on. ‘Ewwww….Gross.’


Taking pity on her best friend, Ororo guided her towards the high stool next to counter. “What happened Jean?” she was truly concerned now. “Did something happen with Scott?” Jean’s wild look negated that possibility.
Running a hand over her back, Ororo adopted her mother hen voice. “Jean, take deep breaths and then tell me what happened.”
Nodding her head, Jean took a couple of deep breaths before telling Ororo all about her erotic dream, leaving out some of the raunchy details.

By the time she ended, Ororo was staring at her, a stupefied look on her face. Was she shocked at the dream, or at being caught or was it something totally different, Jean couldn’t make out.

----

“Ororo.” Jean laid a hand on hers’. “I hope you don’t mind my asking, is something going on between the both of you?”
“Between the both of whom?” Ororo was still coming to terms with what Jean had told her.
“Between you and…” Jean hesitated for a moment. “….Logan”

“Of course,” Ororo’s frank answer threw Jean for a twist. “We are very good friends. In fact, I can confidently say that he is my best friend.”
“Best friend!!” Jean exclaimed. “But I thought I was your best friend” her tone was rueful.
“You ARE.” Ororo confirmed forcefully. “You are….my best ‘girl’ friend.”
“Oh.” Jean’s eyes lit up. “So are you saying that Logan is your boyfriend?”
“No Jean.” Ororo smacked her palm against her forehead. “You have to take everything out of context. Don’t you.”

“No no…” Jean shook her head. The conversation with Ororo was veering off track and she needed to stop it before anybody else heard. And by anybody else she meant the living breathing loud speaker that was Jubilee Lee, who right now was prowling the mansion halls, conjuring a plan to get back at Logan for his bailing out on them.
“It’s just that, you and Logan seem to be very close. I guess….I guess I haven’t got used to…..” she stopped trying to get the right words.
“Used to Logan paying attention to any woman who isn’t you,” Ororo completed with more than a hint of sarcasm in her remark….and the slightest hint of something else.
“WHAT!” Jean’s eyes widened with shock. Ororo had just said something that Jean had once thought about, but had buried it deep into the deepest recesses of her heart the day she said ‘I do’ to Scott. “No Ororo, you’ve got it all wrong.” Jean was really losing it now.
“Then please….tell me how it is,” Ororo narrowed her eyes, her even voice suddenly cold and hard.

“I just wanted to know if you guys are seeing each other personally.” Jean was ready to cry at having screwed up. She had ‘majorly’ put…no shoved her foot in her mouth. “Because I think that would be great.”
At Ororo’s silence, Jean continued, picking her words with great care.

“It’s great that you two are so close to each other. I know its none of my or anyone else’s business what you two do in your free time. And I will more than happy to assist you in any way I can.” At her words Ororo seemed to loosen at bit.
Heaving a sigh of relief, Jean decided to push a little further, taking care of keeping things light. “You know you are to blame for putting those thoughts into my mind.”

“ME!!”
“Yes, if you guys hadn’t done that betting money exchange thing yesterday night, I wouldn’t have got all these ideas in my head and neither that dream. I have never seen Logan do that for anyone else, nor have I ever seen you endorse betting let alone cage fighting.

-----

Ororo’s smirk, told Jean that she had finally managed to say something correct.
“Jean, Logan does the same for Rogue. She knows about it and she bets once in a while, when she needs the money and doesn’t want to take it directly from Logan.” Ororo revelation did not startle Jean. It was as if she had expected it.
“That is different.” Jean flipped her hand. “Rogue and Logan, they…they have a bond, one that neither of them have with anyone else. But you are different. How were you sucked into this? It can’t be because you are short on money for the latest teenage fashion top or dress.”
“No its not.” Ororo shook her head. “Its something else. Something that I can’t tell you about.”
“Why?”
“Because…”
“Because?”
“Because I promised Logan I wouldn’t. If you want to know, you’ll have to ask him. You can do it the next time he flirts with you.” Ororo winked at Jean and pushed herself off the stool. “Now if you excuse me, I have some work to do before the evening.”

“Evening? Why? Are you going somewhere?” Jean’s ears perked up again.
“Yes and given your current state of mind, I am sure you will find it very interesting,” Ororo said, opening the fridge to get her favorite juice.
“My current state....Why?”
“I am going out with Logan. And before you say anything…we are not going out on a date.”
“If it’s not a date then where are you going?”

Ororo silently poured the juice into a glass and replaced the bottle in the fridge, all the while keeping an eye on the expectant looks Jean was giving her. “Ororo!” she pleaded. “Come on; tell me. Where are you going?”

Sitting on the stool, Jean couldn’t see the mischievous smile forming on Ororo’s lips.
“I’ll tell you, but you have to promise me two things.” Ororo glanced at her.
“I promise. Anything you want. I’ll do it,” Jean answered immediately.

“The next time you have such a ‘dream’, you will keep it between us, between you and me, and….” Ororo turned and looked Jean straight in the eye. “You and Scott will come to where we are going.”
“Done.” Jean answered, raising her left hand; she placed her right hand over her heart. “I promise. Now tell me where are you going?”

Walking out of the kitchen, Ororo spoke evenly. “I am going with Logan to….” she let her words hang.

“….watch him fight.”

-----

“Ororo!” Jean ran after her friend, who had floated away to her loft apartment. “NO.”

By the time she caught up with her, Ororo had reached the stairs leading to her room.
“I can’t do that,” Jean exclaimed, her breathing labored from running.
“Of course you can.” Ororo’s smile was taunting Jean. “You have Scott wrapped around your little finger. He’ll do anything for you.”
“Anything except watching Logan beat a bunch of guys and get applauded and paid money for that. Please Ororo, anything but that.”

“Sorry Jean.” Ororo refused. “You promised….and now you have to fulfill it. Besides you have a whole day to get Scott to agree.”

With that, she turned around and started up the stairs, leaving a lost Jean Grey standing in the stairwell.

Reaching the top, she winked and sent out a parting thought to Jean.

**You could always tell him that you were dreaming about Logan. I am sure he would appreciate it.**





You must login () to review.