5. At the Mall

Summary:
Logan and company have their mall ‘date’....but they are not alone!!


“I have a mall ‘date’ with four very beautiful women.”

“Logan.” Scott followed the small group to the garage. “You will talk to me, and you will talk to me NOW.”

The words had barely left his mouth when he found Logan’s angry face inches from his.
“Now look here one-eye,” he ground out. “Its already three and I have to get back by seven. I don’t have time to waste with you or any of yer bullshit. So shut yer trap and leave me alone, unless you want a new one.” He ended by just raising his fist, threatening to let the claws out and do the talking for him.

“Very well,” Scott stepped back, waiting for Logan to turn and walk away. Once he was near one of the ‘unmarked’ X-SUVs’, the one which they were taking, he spoke again, loud enough for everyone present to hear, including Logan, his four dates and Jean. “So, I guess we’ll see you in the evening. What time do you want to leave? We’ll be ready by then.”
“Leave? Ready?” Logan frowned, his hand stilling on the driver side door. “What are ya blabbering about?” He turned to a smirking Scott.
“Me?!” Scott pointed towards himself, trying to look as innocent as new born lamb. “I haven’t said anything. I am just repeating what Jean told me and what Ororo told her.”

“Ororo?” Logan slowly turned to face the Nubian beauty standing on the other side of the vehicle. “’Ro, what is he talking about? Where are we going?”
“Logan,” Ororo smiled at him before narrowing her eyes at the self-satisfied Scott standing behind him. “Why don’t we go? I’ll explain everything to you later.”
“Explain? ‘Ro, what are ya talking about?” Logan fixed his stare on her. “What….”

“Are you just going to stand here and waste our time or are your going to get your sexy-but-hairy butt into gear and get us to the mall,” Jubilee jumped into the fray, cutting Logan right off.
“Yah Logan,” Rogue came to his side. “We are getting late. Why dontcha’ talk to ‘Ro in the car or when we get to tha mall.”
“Yes Mr. Logan,” Kitty squeaked.

“I guess Logan, you really are getting late for your mall date,” Scott shot his own words back at him.
“Fuck you Scooter,” Logan growled as he yanked open the door and got into the SUV, slamming it shut behind him. Something was going on. Something that involved him and that he didn’t know about, and that pissed him off. “We are not done with this,” he spoke to Ororo as she got in from her own side. “We are goin’ ta talk about this. As soon as we get to the friggin’ mall.”
Ororo gave him a mysterious smile and laid a gentle hand on his thigh, stilling him instantly. “Don’t worry Logan. I promise you that you will like it,” she assured him, gently squeezing her hand against the weather worn denim.
“Hmph,” was all the response she got as Logan started the vehicle. Moments later, he pulled out of the mansion gates, three teenaged ‘back-seat drivers’ urging him to go faster and get them to their destination as soon as possible.

“You know what.” Scott said to himself, his eyes following the SUV. “Maybe Jean was right after all. Maybe there is something going on between those two. Well good for me. It will keep him from flirting with Jean….

….although I’ll need to have a talk with Ororo.”

----

“Come on dude, we are wasting valuable shopping time,” Jubilee was unsuccessfully trying to pull the metal boned arm and the rest of Logan attached to it, across the huge parking lot. Being a Saturday, it was jam-packed with cars and truck. It took Logan fifteen minutes to find a proper parking spot and the one he did get was a whole five minutes walk from the mall entrance.
“Look kid, ya aren’t going ta hurry me like that,” Logan grumbled and pulled his arm back and Jubilee along with it. “Why don’t you guys go ahead.”
“Really,” Jubilee’s eyes widened. “Sure, if you don’t mind. We can break off and catch up with you old timers later”
“I don’t mind,” Logan spelled out, frowning at the old timers comment. He wasn’t an old timer, even if he was older than the dirt on his boots, and more so, Ororo was definitely anything but old.
“You know it would be better that way. As it is you are one sulky shopper. You…” Jubilee was rambling away, oblivious to what Logan had just said.

“Jubes,” -whack- Rogue upsided her behind her head. “Logan said, he doesn’t mind.”
“Wha…ugh. Really?” Jubilee scowled at Rogue who pointed towards Kitty, indicating that she had been the one to strike the blow. “Kitty!!”
“Huh….yes,” Kitty broke her eyes from the cars she had been counting, trying to get a rough count of cars in the lot and looked towards Jubilee, just in time to see a ringed hand coming towards her. “HEY!!” she cried out. “What was that for?” she scowled, rubbing her aching shoulder.
“Hey, you two. Break it up.” Logan stepped in, but not before sending a mock frown accompanied by a knowing wink Rogue’s way. “Did ya wanna do yer shoppin’ or start a danger room session here? Cause if ya wanna, we can go right back? We can get a good two hours of practice, before I haveta leave.”
“No way José,” Jubilee shot back, a bit of the color from her face draining at the possibility of losing out on her ‘passion’ and that too when she was so close, and for what, a danger room session of all possible things. “We came here to shop and we are going to shop.”

“Jubilee, Kitty, Rogue.” Storm broke her silence. She had been enjoying the drama occurring before her, including Logan’s relaxed demeanor. True he didn’t like the prospect of spending three long hours in the mall, a place full of people and more importantly, mostly teenaged, hormonal, strong perfumed, jabbering kind of people, but had agreed to do it initially because of the little normalcy it brought to Rogue’s previously secluded life. And even if he said otherwise, he liked, well sort of liked, Rogue’s two roommates. They had taken her under their wing and helped her get settled in the mansion. “Why don’t we do like this? Let us break up into two groups. The three of you can get all your shopping done and meet Logan and me at a preset point and a preset time.”
“Sounds good to me,” Kitty was the first one to answer.
“Me too,” Rogue seconded her.
“Three hours of blissful shopping without claw-wonder here breathing cigar breath down my neck,” Jubilee raised her hands to the sky and heaved an audible sigh. “Heaven on earth.”

“If ya didn’t wanta me ta come, why didntcha’ say so,” Logan scowled at her, crossing his arms in front of his chest. Even Ororo giggled at his actions. He looked like a small boy, who was pouting after having being told that he couldn’t have his favorite ice-cream.
“Hey hey,” Jubilee patted Logan’s arm. “You know I am just joking, don’t you? You are my favorite clawed-wonder. Well you are the only one, but that is besides the point.”
“Yes Mr. Logan,” Kitty jumped in. “Jubilee doesn’t take just anyone shopping with her. She cares about you a lot.”
“Yeah, sure,” Logan pouted again, before brightening up and winking at the now worried Jubilee. “Gotcha.”
“What?! WHAT!!” Jubilee’s mouth dropped open, as the truth of the joke dawned on her. “You were joking. JOKING. Now I am going to get you. You are going to….”

“Jubilee, come on,” Rogue cut in. “We are going t’ get late.”
“Huh? Oh. Yeah.” Jubilee instantly turned around, both her body and her mood. “Later dude, stay on your toes. No one pulls a fast one on the Great Juba-lini and gets away. Later ‘Roro.” With that, she began to march towards the mall entrance, Kitty and Rogue being dragged along on each arm.

“Hey Marie,” Logan called out, hurrying to catch up to them. “Got a minute.”
“Sure,” Rogue answered, easing herself from Jubilee’s light grasp.
“’Ro. Gimmie a minute,” Logan turned to his shopping partner.
“Sure Logan,” Ororo answered walked past them. “I will be waiting just inside the mall entrance.”
“Thanks darlin’,” Logan smiled at her. He waited for her to be outside audible range, before turning to Rogue. “Thanks kid.”

“For?” Rogue looked up at him.
“You know,” Logan looked around trying to catch anyone eves dropping on them. “For giving me the heads up yesterday night and helping me get this all in place. Everything worked out just like we planned….including the Jean-Scooter thing.”
“No hassles sugah,” Rogue latched onto his leather-clad arm, a bright smile on her face. “Ya got three hours. Make the most of it.”
“Thanks kid,” Logan said again, placing a hand at Rogue’s back and leading her to the door. “Now go, enjoy yerself. I’ll be around”
“I know you will,” rogue smiled at him and gave him a hug, before breaking away and walking towards her waiting friends. Well actually just Kitty. Jubilee had already begun her campaign to empty the mall. “Yah always are.”
“I promised, didn’t I,” Logan watched her walk away.
“You sure did,” Rogue turned and gave him a parting smile. “Now go,” she shooed him off.

----

“Ready?” walking upto to Ororo, Logan offered her a hand to hold onto.
“You bet your hairy-ass,” Ororo channeled Jubilee, sliding her perfectly manicured hand into Logan’s gloved one. Gripping it firmly, he gave it a gentle squeeze. “You know, that was an impressive piece of acting. I almost got duped myself.”
“Acting?” Logan tried to sound confused, failing miserably from the stupid grin over his face. “’Whatcha talking about ‘Ro?”
“You know what I am talking about,” Ororo looked directly into his hazel eyes, a knowing smile on her face. “This morning, in the kitchen.”
“Yeah?” Logan tried maintaining his façade.
“Come on Logan,” Ororo smiled and shook her head. “You don’t expect me to believe that you didn’t deliberately put up the show with Jubilee. It was a good one. Jubilee comes to the kitchen; you catch her scent and bolt. Then when it appears that you aren’t going to come for the whole day and when they approach and commandeer me, you return, just in time for lunch. Then you ‘request’ me to accompany you, with the ruse that you don’t want to spend three ‘agonizing’ hours with three hormonally high teenagers. Like I said, pretty impressive. The only thing I didn’t get was who was helping you out. Your snitch. Guess even that question has been answered now.”

“Didn’t work though,” Logan sobered up, but only just. “Ya saw right through it.”
“Was it meant for me?” Logan shook his head at Ororo’s question. “In that case, I’d say it worked just fine. You fooled both Jean and Scott, and that’s saying something. Jean the telepathic and Scott…”
“The dick-head,” Logan cut her off, getting a small punch in return.
“I was going to say, the quintessential strategist. He covers every detail.”
“Like I said – dick-head.”
“Logan,” Ororo admonished him.
“Come on ‘Ro,” Logan frowned slightly. “I didn’t do all this song an’ dance to come here and waste time talkin’ about Scooter. This is our time, and I want this ta be just about us. I have been waiting for this for a long time.”
“What?!” This time Ororo sounded surprised, even managing to put on a slightly disinterested front. “Its only been ten days.”
“’Ro!” Logan scowled at her. “Ya gonna screw with me now?”
“Don’t worry Logan,” she stopped and turned to face him. “I know how much this means to you….and to me,” she ended softly, a shy smile on her lips.

“Ya are the only one that matters ta me,” Logan cupped her chin to lift it up to him. “Ya know that, dontcha?”
“No.” Ororo shook her head. “You are lyng?”
“’Ro?” Logan gave her a look as if she had punched him through the gut and pulled out all his internal organs.
“There is someone else,” Ororo’s eyes narrowed with mischief. “Rogue. She also matters to you, so does Jean and Kitty and Jubilee. You should have said, I’m the one who matters the ‘most’.”
“Ororo Monroe,” Logan breathed a sigh of relief. “One of these days, ya are goin’ ta give me a heart-attack that even the ol’ healing factor won’t be able to save me from.”
“That’s not possible,” Ororo shook her head. “There is no chance of that. Because its not yours any longer. Its mine and I keep my things safe.”
“That and everything else darlin’,” Logan bent down to place a light kiss on her lips.

“That and everything else.”

----

Later,

“Logan,” Ororo spoke up. Both of them were sitting in the food court enjoying a mid-shopping snack. “I-I’ve got something to ask you?”
Logan swallowed the food he was chewing and cleared his throat. He knew what was coming next. He had been expecting it for quite some time now, ever since they separated from the girls.
“Yeah darlin’,” he spoke softly. “Whatcha want ta ask?”

Ororo looked directly into his eyes. “Its more like I have to tell you something.”
“Yeah ‘Ro,” Logan winced slightly, waiting for Ororo to speak those dreaded words.

“I want you to…...”

----

“Oh god,” Jean gasped, her face paling, her breath labored.
Jean! What happened?” Scott was instantly on her side, supporting her from falling over.

“Scott,” she looked at her husband, utter and absolute shock on her face. “Ororo…”
“Ororo? What happened to Ororo? What is wrong with her?”
“Ororo….Scott Ororo…” the redhead telepath took deep breaths to calm herself. “Ororo, she…”

“Ororo’s pregnant.”


Note: Guess Jean wasn’t that much off the mark. And now that this secret is out, what will be the fallout? And who will be the last mutant left standing?

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.