Long Engagements

X-Men Fan fiction. Sinjin

Okay this is actually somewhat of an X-Man meets Stargate story. I was fooling around and came up with this. I don’t know where I was going with this but figured I’d share….


“ Okay so when are you and Forge suppose to be getting married?” asked Remy sitting across from Ororo in her office. XSE was ordered to green status for the next two rotations, something the team really needed. With Rogue off world and Lieutenant Colonial Alex Summers being transferred to her team she was playing catch up with her paper work. That was until Remy came in and started talking to her. He had become like another brother in her life, and sometimes he acted like it. Yet sometimes she thought he knew things before her, especially when it came to Logan Howlett. Secretly she hated that fact, as well as the fact that they never had been as close as she would have liked. You can always blame the XSE for that, but she had found a guy that could take her mind and possibly her heart away from that. That guy’s name was Forge, an inventor from Denver, Colorado. It was hard sometimes to get time together but it was worth it sometimes. Of course she was dreading this weekend, her Father Charles was coming to meet Forge finally and figured since he was on world he would try to spend time with Mark and her. Of course, she had to get past Remy first.

“We haven’t really set a date yet, possibly when next year. Why?” Ororo asked, her eyebrows slightly raises, with her mouth vaguely open. She gave the look when her curiosity had risen and she was waiting for information.

“No reason just curious, trying to make idle conversation.” Remy replied.

“Remy last I checked you weren’t Jonas being that he is still on Langara and you are here.” Ororo sniped smiling as she did when she was proud of herself.

“What is that suppose to mean? That I don’t do idle conversations?” Remy replied looking confused. “I think I can ramble on sometimes.”

Ororo started to smile even broader as she listened to Remy begin to ramble about how he could ramble if he wanted to. At that moment though the sound of Sgt Robert Drake’s voice over the intercom saying “Unscheduled off world activation.”

Ororo looked at Remy as she got up and proceeded to the gate room. A minute later she arrived in the control room and there standing in front of the glass was Brig. General Logan Howlett watching as the gate came to life.

“Good timing Colonial your father is about to step through.” Replied Logan.




“He’s a little early.” Rebutted Ororo as she proceeded to the gate room with Logan and Remy.

“Dad how are you?” replies Ororo as she hugs her father Charles.

“Fine as always Ororo. So when do I get to meet Forge?” Playfully answers Charles knowing that he would get a reaction out of his daughter. He missed Ororo and for all those years that he lost with her he still would sometimes kick himself for but his better half in Lylandra would not allow him for long.

At the mention of Forge’s name though Charles noticed something he noticed a few times before from Logan but never really said anything. He was an XSE General once and knew the regulations just as well if not better than Logan. Logan had a few quirks and was so much like himself that Charles came to secretly think of Logan as a son.

“Dad please be gentle. I don’t want you to scare him off before we even set a date.” Expresses Ororo.

“I can’t promise anything honey.” Charles replies as Ororo just raises her hand to her face in an expression of dread.

“So Logan how have you been?” Charles asks waiting for a patented Logan smart ass answer, and wasn’t disappointed.

“You know Charles, being a pain in the ass to any Acolyte within ear shot of a gate, helping legions of Mutants in their rebellion. Running the XSE, making sure everything is locked down including the silverware.” Answers Logan as the four of them leave the Gate room.


A little later as Ororo is changing into her civilian clothes in the locker room Charles who already is dressed walks to what was once General Summers’ office but now belongs to Brigadier General Logan Howlett. Charles knocks on the door, waiting for Logan to motion him in. Logan was on the phone with General Scott Summers and by the sound at Logan’s end it was a partial surprising one.

“Are you sure gen…Scott? I mean there has to be someone better.” Logan scratches his head with a befuddled look on his face. After a small pause Logan replies..” I don’t know what to say but I’ll think about it.”

Logan says his good byes and hangs up the phone and looks up at Charles with one of his patterned “How’s it going” looks.

“What can I do for you Charles?” Asks Logan watching his friend taking a seat.



“So may I ask what that call was about?” replies Charles, he crosses his arms across his chest. Looking like a father about to listen to a child. Logan examines Charles’ pose and takes a deep breath.

“It was just Scott telling me he’s about to retire and he was looking at a very short list of people to replace him.” Replies Logan.

“I take it your on that list?” replies Charles.

“I am the list.” Logan answers back. “Scott wanted the best guy for the job with the most experience.”

“What are you going to do?” Charles inquires as he leans forward.

“I don’t know.” Logan replies as he changes the subject. “So Charles what can I do for you?”

Now it was Charles’s turn to take a deep breath. He saw on more than one occasion how Logan would look at his little girl and how she would look at him. It reminded him of his wife and him in better days before she died. He noticed how Logan would hide behind sarcasms and not let many people in. It took awhile and for those who were let in they never truly get to see the under the armor. In many ways he was just like Logan, perhaps that is why Charles liked him so much.

“Logan how long have you been in love with my daughter?” Charles candidly solicits.

Logan didn’t even see that question coming. He was thrown off guard and reeling. He goes to raise up his hand and shake it a bit as he says…
“Where did that come from?”

“Me.” Charles replies clearly enjoying the situation.

“You know believe it or not Lylandra knew it as soon as she saw you two together but it was confirmed during that whole Armageddon mishap.”

“Why did you have to bring that up?” Asks Logan.

“Besides seeing you squirm that way, I just wanted to tell you that if things were different I wouldn’t mind calling you son.” Replies Charles. “Its hard to discuss something’s and I know that better than anyone but..”

“But nothing Charles, it’s the regs and I am her superior officer. There is nothing short of one of us leaving the XSE to solve that one.”



“Logan would you have?” replies Charles.

“In a minute, especially now. I mean a retired General’s pension.”

“Logan.” Responds Charles.

“She is engaged Charles to that Forge guy, there isn’t any room for me. Besides tonight I have a dinner date with a friend.”

“Whose that?”

“Mariko.”

“Who?”

“She was my uh.. wife.”

“Oh, I think Ororo told me about what she had heard from Remy. I am sorry Logan I didn’t mean to..”

“Its okay Charles, its water under the bridge.” Logan felt extremely uncomfortable as if he was being interrogated. He wanted to leave and just get away.

“Where are you going?” asks Charles this time changing the subject.

“Fazoli’s. I feel like Italian tonight.” Replies Logan. “Anything else?”

“No.”

At that point in time Ororo came up knocking on Logan’s office door.
“Sir, Dad what are you two talking about?”

“Nothing honey just asking how you’ve been and asking how Logan was handling everything.” Replies Charles as he gets up and walks over to his daughter.

“Yeah that he did.” Logan replied. “I’m about to leave so if you don’t mind.” As he was ushering them out.

“Where is he off too in a hurry?” Ororo asks out loud.

“He has a date.” Counters Charles.

“A date?” Ororo looks stunned…..




“He has a date?” asks Ororo still stunned by the news. Forge comes up beside her and puts his arms around her.

“You said that already Ororo, for the hundredth time.” He replies. “Are you talking about your dad by the way?”

“uh” she pauses “ oh no my boss.”

“The guy with the Visor?” replies Forge

“No that’s General Summers he was transferred a month ago.” Ororo utters slightly laughing.

“Oh you didn’t tell me. Whose your new boss?”

“Well actually he’s an old boss with a new job. Its General Howlett.”

“He got promoted?” replies Forge dumbfounded realizing how much he didn’t know.

“He promoted me. I didn’t tell you, I thought I did.” Answers Ororo

“Hey Ororo I heard about this place down the road called Fazoli’s and I haven’t had great Italian in a long time.” Charles announces as he walks into the room where his Daughter and Forge were.

“Okay dad not a problem. I’ll get my coat.” Ororo answers as she quickly leaves the room heading to the bedroom.

Forge stands there scratching his head wondering what just went on. Charles grins a little knowing how he felt. Many a time Charles felt that way, also knew it would not be the last.




The little restaurant had not changed in a long time and Logan liked that. He and Mariko had come here tonight to just talk and laugh. It wasn’t long ago that Mariko had called Logan to tell him she had met someone who she had come to care for. Logan gave her his blessing if that was what she was calling to ask, but it was different. She was healing and she wanted Logan in her life as a friend. They set at their normal table and ate good Italian, laughing about the antics Logan told her about. She heard about Rogue and Remy as well as Ororo. To listen to Logan actually talk to her was amazing. When they were married he hardly ever would open up to her but something was changed when he spoke about Ororo. A woman could always tell when a man was in love and she was happy for him although he wouldn’t admit it.


A few minutes later Logan stopped speaking as he saw who walked in the door. It was Charles, Ororo, and Forge. What were they doing here? Then he remembered he told Charles. What was he up to? Ororo was the first to see Logan setting with Mariko and she was drawn back. Charles saw them as well and began to walk over to them.

“Okay what are you up to Charles?” replies Logan a loud and that was when Mariko turned around as saw Ororo. She had only met her once in passing seven years before when Logan came back to her and turned into their daughter. Sometime later Logan had called her to ask how she was doing. He could never tell her what it was all about but she felt that he tried to reach out. That was enough.





You must login () to review.