The little restaurant had not changed in a long time and Logan liked that. He and Mariko had come here tonight to just talk and laugh. It wasn’t long ago that Mariko had called Logan to tell him she had met someone who she had come to care for. Logan gave her his blessing if that was what she was calling to ask, but it was different. She was healing and she wanted Logan in her life as a friend. They set at their normal table and ate good Italian, laughing about the antics Logan told her about. She heard about Rogue and Remy as well as Ororo. To listen to Logan actually talk to her was amazing. When they were married he hardly ever would open up to her but something was changed when he spoke about Ororo. A woman could always tell when a man was in love and she was happy for him although he wouldn’t admit it.


A few minutes later Logan stopped speaking as he saw who walked in the door. It was Charles, Ororo, and Forge. What were they doing here? Then he remembered he told Charles. What was he up to? Ororo was the first to see Logan setting with Mariko and she was drawn back. Charles saw them as well and began to walk over to them.

“Okay what are you up to Charles?” replies Logan a loud and that was when Mariko turned around as saw Ororo. She had only met her once in passing seven years before when Logan came back to her and turned into their daughter. Sometime later Logan had called her to ask how she was doing. He could never tell her what it was all about but she felt that he tried to reach out. That was enough.

“So that is Lt. Colonial Monroe?” Mariko replied noticing Logan’s face as she asked that question.

“Yeah.” Logan answers as he sips his beer from the longneck bottle.

“She is very attractive Logan and knowing you she is also extremely intelligent and strong.” Mariko held Logan’s free hand on the table and smiled. “You deserve to be happy.”

Meanwhile across the room Ororo, Forge and Charles await a table at the bar. The entire time Charles is grinning like a jackass chewing on briars. “This is a nice place.”

“Yeah Father it is,” Ororo speaks coolly, she places her famous poker face on, Charles knows his daughter too well. Forge just looks around not sure what to ask, until he begins to speak.

“So Charles, is it true you have one of those things in you?” Forge realizes what he says and wishes he could take it back. He wants to impress Charles, he wants to show Ororo he is a man she can be proud of. Forge can’t compete with the work that Ororo or the rest of her team does. He can’t compete with Logan.

“That thing is a Shi’ar and her name is Lylandra young man, and if you want this night to continue I suggest you ask those questions back within the XSE.” Charles states as he he continues, “You would make an excellent host by the way Forge.”

“Dad.” Ororo places her hand on her father’s forearm, signaling that it was enough.
Charles gently smiles, and with that patient Charles Xavier twinkle he places his hand on top of his daughter’s and replies….

“I just want you to be happy Ororo.” Then that glimmer disappears slightly. “ I won’t be around forever honey.”

“Dad don’t talk like that,” Ororo replies, “Besides I am happy.” Her smile didn’t reach her eyes, but only a few people could even detect that fact. Unfortunately, Charles was one of those few people.

Across the restaurant where Logan and his ex-wife Mariko were sitting, another conversation was taking place….

“So how long have you been in love Logan?” Asks Mariko. Her dark eyes piercing through Logan’s very soul. He could remember when they shared so much of themselves with each other, their hopes, their dreams, their love. That was before the loss of their daughter Laura, after that they crumbled apart. When Logan left the last time, he was almost a broken man. He left with no explanation, he just ran away. However, when he did finally come home, Mariko had left, unable to coup with being shut out. Soon afterward, Logan moved into his cabin and rejoined S.H.I.E.L.D.’s XSE and after seven years being promoted to the rank of General.

Logan nearly spits out his iced tea he was currently drinking when he hears his ex-wife’s question. It takes him a few seconds to recover from his coughing fit and looks at Mariko with tear-filled eyes. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me,” was the only reply Logan received from his ex-wife Mariko.

“I don’t know what your talk’n about Mariko.” Logan answers as he places his drink back on the table, glancing across the restaurant in the general direction of Ororo, Forge and Charles.

“If its those stupid regulations that’s holding you back then your missing a good thing Logan.” Mariko places her hand over her ex-husband’s in gentle reminder how well she knew him.


On the Planet designated PX3-5489 Remy LeBeau, and Dr. Douglas Ramsey accompany another team from the XSE through the gate. The group is designated XS-4, led by enigmatic Major Kurt Wagner and consists of his second Captain Katherine Pride the science officer, Captain Lucas Bishop, Lieutenant Tabitha Smith, Dr. Jean Grey and Dr. Cecelia Reyes. They are mainly a research team with first contact experience. The planet they are on has no intelligent life that was found near the gate by the previous team, though extremely ancient ruins were found. It is this team’s responsibility to analyze and catalog the ruins. Major Wagner, Captain Lucas Bishop, Lieutenant Smith and Remy span outward in a spiral pattern within one hundred yards of the site, while Remy, Dr. Ramsey, Dr. Reyes, Dr. Grey and Captain Pride examine the pictographs of the lost civilization.

“Looks like ancient Deviant to a point.” Captain Pride observes, speaking aloud.

“That means it could be Skrull, Terrain Deviant, or the D’Bari,” chimes in Dr. Reyes.

“Don’t forget the Guna,” Dr. Ramsey replies nudging Dr. Grey.

“How could we forget them Doug, you always remind us of them.” Dr. Jean Grey answers as she rubs her hands over the ancient writing.

“Yes well by the looks of these ruins it wasn’t the Guna or the D’Bari,” Captain Pride continues.

“Well I believe it is actually Skrull.” Dr. Ramsey says as he places his hand on the writing as his eyes glow. “This isn’t good.”

Seventy yards east of the current sight, Captain Bishop and Remy LeBeau stake out the deserted scene, reminding them both of a no man’s land. How long has this city not felt another being’s footstep onto its streets?

“So Remy when are General Howlett and Colonel Monroe going to get together?” Captain Bishop asks as he scans the horizon.

“At the right they’re going. Never.” Remy says as something catches his eye. “Bishop what is that over there?” Remy points out a shining glimmer in the sky.

“Oh hell. INCOMING!”

Fifteen minutes later back on Earth in an Italian restaurant called Fazoli’s; General Logan Howlett’s pager vibrates. He looks down at it and reads the number appearing on it.
“Oh no.” Logan looks up from the message screen toward his Ex-Wife Mariko and before he can say anything she simply responds..

“Go on.”

Meanwhile across the floor at the table of Lt. Colonial Ororo Monroe, Retired General Charles Xavier and the man named Forge the general’s departure does not go unnoticed.
Ororo gets up from her seat and begins to walk away after Logan when she feels a hand on her arm. She looks back to see Forge making eyes contact. She knows what he wants to say, but she needs to go after Logan, to find out what was happening. Without a word, she escapes from Forge’s grasp and walks away never looking back.

“A word of advice Forge, before you say anything it’s Ororo’s life and heart. She will never leave the XSE for anyone or anything except perhaps one person and he just walked out of that door.” Charles replies. “Son you know that in your heart.”

Forge looks upon Charles and knows the truth, he knows that no matter what Ororo would always be with the XSE and if it came down to it, She would leave him over it.
“Tell Ororo I had a good time tonight.” Forge answers unemotionally. “Nice to have met you.”

In the parking lot outside of Fazoli’s, as Logan gets into his F350 he smells the familiar sent of sandalwood and rain.

“Sir what is wrong?” was all Ororo says as she climbs into the passenger’s side of the truck.

“A problem with XS-4.” Logan begins, as he realizes “Aren’t you having dinner with Chuck and what’s his name?”

“His name is Forge and I was but I saw you leave and figured it was important.”





You must login () to review.