The children copped as best as they could, and in time as teenagers manage to do, set their minds to different things. It’s not that they forgot, or even pretended to, they would always remember her, but with their own mutations and problems they moved on quickly.
This angered Scott, the room that he once shared with jean, bright and clean was dark, the curtains always closed, and damaged. He would get so angry he’d punch holes in the walls, smash anything in sight. He only did this in privacy, and although the students knew he had a hard time dealing with his grief, they were unaware of his anger.

4 months after Alki Lake the Professor called a meeting , informing the staff not to give up hope, that he still felt Jeans presence, it was an unusual link the two shared, and the professor was sure he could still feel something. Most were confused, but living in a world with mutants not much surprised any of them. Scott became obsessed, asking the professor again and again if he had any luck, and although the professor spent endless time with cerebo the answer was the same every time,
“I’m sorry Scott, I’ve tried but it seems I am not strong enough, perhaps if there was another telepath to help me I could do something…”
the professor continued to try and explain but at that point Scott had blocked him out.

“Not without you…I cant” Scott cried on his bedroom floor whilst looking desperately looking at a picture of Jean. It had been a further 3 months since Scott had his conversation with the professor, during that time all he did was research . Research into finding a strong telepath to help him. On that night he received a phone call, one that gave him hope.
“So you agree to my terms?”
He paused, running through a plan in his head.
“Yes…how long will it take you to get here?”
“A week. I imagine Xavier is unaware of our deal?”
“Well yes, I haven’t thought that part through yet”
“No need, tell him you are paying me a large some of money. I will take my “payment” two days before I come to the institute”
“Hang on a minute, how do I know you’ll come, after you’ve got what you wanted, what’s my insurance?”
“My word”
“I’m going to need a bit more than that”
“Mr summers I will remind you that you contacted me, that you are the one betraying people, and that you are the one who needs my help. So I think you are in no position to be questioning my trust”
Another pause, Scott was sweating…
“Very well. I’ll see you in week”
“I’ll contact you before hand , to make the arrangements.”
Scott hung up the phone, part of him was screaming at him to get a grip, not to go through with it. But he had no choice, in his state of mind, this was the only way. With the knowledge that Jean might still be alive, he was unable to move on, and this caused him to go mad with need, need to have her back. It was all he thought about al the time He was still smart though, he knew he had to be careful, he couldn’t go down to breakfast tomorrow happy as Larry, it would make the others suspicious, no he had to play the game. Starting with tonight.

***************************************************************************************
Logan lay in bed, staring at the white ceiling, thinking about anything and everything.
Night crawler had thought it best he return back home, sort some stuff out, he told them that this would always be a second home.
Logan didn’t really know the guy so it didn’t affect him in anyway, and the knowledge that Jean might still be out there gave him a bit of hope. He never left the institute apart from the odd weekend. He felt he couldn’t straight away, and as time passed and he saw how people within the team were copping he knew he couldn’t just and up and go. Scott just drew into himself completely, cutting his classes in half, and rarely saying more than two words to any one. Chuck had a hard time, teaching his classes, and every extra minute he had scanning cerebo for the off chance that he might be able to locate Jean. Ororo had almost tripled her work load, with more students coming through the door, jeans classes, half of Scott’s as well as here own she was rushed of her feet. Logan wasn’t sure how she was coping at all, she was sort of unreadable that way and he never really saw her outside of a classroom or on her own. He supposed that’s the main reason he didn’t leave, he knew it could all fall apart so easily, he hated to admit it but he was worried. Ororo was the backbone of the school in every way at the moment, and he really just didn’t know how long she could last before she broke, the weight just kept getting heavier and heavier. Sure he would cover the odd lesson, but he couldn’t really teach anything apart from the self defence class. So he just sat back and watched.
That’s when he heard something, someone was walking about outside, he listened carefully as the person approached the stairs, two doors across from his room, they lead to the top of the school, Ororo’s bedroom. Thinking it was one of the kids he got out of bed to stop them, he thought they had probably had a nightmare and wanted to go up and see the person the saw as a surrogate mother for reassurance and security. It was kind of sweet really, but he knew Ororo didn’t get to sleep most nights before 12, and tonight he could hear her up and about as late as 1:30, it was the only time she had to herself and she got up at 6 so he wanted to make sure she got a solid 4 and a half hours of sleep. He opened the door, ready to tell the kid that she Ms Munroe needed her sleep, and then maybe ask him or her what was wrong, but he weren’t really good at all that. Instead of seeing a kid looking back him, he saw Scott, Logan looked confused.
“What’s up Cyke?”
“Nothing, just need to speak to Ro”
“At four in the morning?”
“Is that a problem” Scott almost challenged Logan. Logan was ready to tell him exactly what he thought, that Scott was a self obsessed fuck up, that everybody lost someone 7 months ago, fair enough he loved Jean, but he’s been the only one to deal with it like this, and that he’s left everything to the exhausted over worked woman sleeping upstairs, who he’s about to wake up.
Instead Logan just growled and turned back into his room and Scott continued up the stairs.

***************************************************************************************

Knock Knock
Ororo’s eye opened, but in a hazy state closed again
Knock Knock, “Ro?”
She heard a whisper, she groaned, what time was it?
4:05
She quickly stumbled out of bed rather ungracefully and put on a robe. Her hand covered her head and she walked towards the door.
To her surprise she opened it to find Scott standing there, just staring at her.
“Scott…” she was shocked, he looked better than he did in months, fresh faced, from what she could see from he visor , shaven, hair washed and combed. Almost like the old Scott.
“Ro” he smiled, she hadn’t seen one of those in a while.
“Can I come in?”
“Of course” she smiled back
They sat down in the chairs next to her fire place, in silence for a little while.
Scott broke it,
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry about what you’ve had to deal with these past 7 months…” she cut in
“Scott, there’s no need you lost someone very dear to you..” he cut in again
“She was dear to you to, you loved her like a sister” Ororo gave a sad smile, he continued
“you remember when we were just kids, and I had that crush on you?” she nodded and laughed
“And you told me that Jean like me? I’d have never seen her in that light if you hadn’t said those words, simple as ’she likes you’ I know I was only a teenager but it really opened my eyes, and I was able to see just how special she was.”
“Scott you haven’t spoken to me like this in so long, it’s healthy you know, to talk about it, we cant dwell”
Part of Scott got irritated by that statement, it annoyed him how Ororo just moved on, didn’t even cry, but he covered it up
“I know…see what I came up here to say was well, we always said we’d do anything for each other that we’d risk our lives for each other, risk our happiness, anything. I forgot that. Jean did that for us, and I you’ve done everything for me, now it’s time I stick to my words. I cant carry on like this. From tomorrow I’m taking all of my lessons back, and next week I was thinking maybe you’d like to have a vacation?”
Ororo was shocked,
“Scott that’s very thoughtful of you, but I don’t know if I can…”
“Nonsense I’ve practically already arranged it, I’ll cover your lessons and you can relax!”
Ororo smiled uneasily. He rose from his chair ready to leave her room, but before he left he turned and said, “Get some sleep Ro, you more than anyone else deserve it!”
And he left.

***************************************************************************************
Scott approached Charles about Ororo’s vacation and he seemed to think it was a wonderful idea, he did suggest postponing it for a few weeks, but Scott managed to convince him that now would be the perfect time. During the week everyone seemed to notice the improvement Scott had made, and all seemed to be pleased about it.

All except Logan. It just seemed as though Scott had blinked and was over it, sure to the naked eye it seemed gradual, but it was just last week he blasted his bathroom sink into tiny pieces. Logan couldn’t put his finger on it but something was wring, like a couple of hours ago Scott got a phone call, and he sent completely changed. All Logan knew for sure was that he needed to be wary of Scott. Something wasn’t right.
Meanwhile Friday came, and under the watchful eye of Logan Scott was putting Ororo’s bags into the car, apparently she was going on vacation, and Scott was driving her to the airport, she was going to spend the week in Africa. Although Logan thought she deserved, and was more than happy Scott was going to be covering the work schedule she had been covering for the past 7 months, his instincts were still playing up. He watched as the kids gave Ororo big hugs, and Charles said goodbye, Logan silently thought to him self, “how come I never get a reception like this?” he laughed at himself as Ororo approached him.

The two rarely spoke, but there was something about him that Ororo trusted whole heartedly. He was a quiet man how was always their, safe strong and dependable, she always felt safe knowing he was watching the children, and her. Emily told her about a month ago that se had a bad dream and that when she came to find her Logan had came out of his room and took care of her. That made Ororo smile, knowing that she had someone there just doing that small thing for her made her feel great.
“see you in a week, try to not let the place fall apart!” she told him
“I’ll make the effort, but no promises” he smiled back at her.
Then for some reason Logan pulled her into a hug, partly it was a quick goodbye, and the other part he wasn’t sure of, he just need to do it.
Ororo hugged him back tightly then laughed as she stepped back.
“1 week” she mouthed to one of the younger girls how looked as thought she were about to cry.
Then Ororo hoped in the car, and they drove off. Logan still didn’t like the feeling that was nagging him, but he ignored it for the time being.

MEANWHILE
½ an hour had passed and as the two drove Ororo asked
“Are you sure we’re going the right way?”
Scott replied,
“Yeah, just got to make a quick stop off”





You must login () to review.