Back at Longbourn, the Bennet family all had gone up to their bedchambers for the night. As usual, Ororo was in Jean room, sitting on her bed while she watched her beautiful sister brush her hair. In the dancing candlelight, Jeans hair seemed like red gold.

“If I could love a man, that would marry me for only 50 pounds a year, I would be very happy” Ororo said, leaning on the bed pole.

“But that man would be a fool, and I could never love one.”

“A marriage where neither party respects is each other can’t be good” Jean said turning with a frown to Ororo, who smiled ruefully

“Yes and we see proof of that everyday” She tucked a snowy strand behind her ear. Their parents did not give them a good insight into happy marriages. Jean sighed sadly and looked back to the mirror.

“But beggars can not be choosers. As we can’t inherit from father we have to rely on our charm. At least one of us have to marry very rich.” Through the mirror Jean looked at her sister who smiled with a half teasing half serious look back

“And because you are five times prettier than us, I fear that task befalls on you”

“Oh but ‘Ro…” Jean put the brush down and turned, looking doleful

“I wish…I could marry out of love”

“And that you shall!” Ororo stood from the bed, and strode forward to hug her.

“Just make sure that you fall in love with a rich man” Jean joined her in the laughter

“Like Mr. Bingley” As she suspected, Jean blushed at the mention of his name.

“You do like him, don’t you?”

“He is everything a young man ought to be. Sensible, lively and I’ve never seen such happy manners” Jean replied, smiling softly.

“Don’t forget handsome, and he seems to like you very much. He doesn’t seem as stupid as other men you have liked. So you have my permission to fall in love with him” Ororo smiled and rested her chin on Jean’s head and both looked at the mirror. So different in looks, her with her silvery mane of hair and dark complexion, next to Jean’s pale beauty.

“What about you ‘Ro?”

“Me?” She bit her lips, and when she spoke, she sounded more serious than she had done during this conversation

“Nothing less than the deepest love will make me marry”

“So…” At once a smile touched her lips, and amusement lit her eyes

“I shall become an old maid, and teach your ten children how to read and play their instruments very badly”

“Oh ‘Ro I am certain you will find someone”
“Not like your Mr. Bingley”

“He is not my Mr. Bingley…but you approve of him?”

“Of course I do. I just wish he had better friends and family. Well he can’t help his sisters”

“Don’t you like them?” Jean sounded genuinely surprised

“No not at all, their manners were quite ill pleasing”

“Perhaps at first, but after a while I found them very pleasing. Miss Bingley is staying with her brother to take care of the manor. I’m sure we will find them charming neighbors. And even Mr. Darcy may improve on closer acquaintance”

Ororo feigned shock

“You mean he will give consequence to women who have been slighted by other men? Never!” She stood up straight and put up a haughty expression.

“She is tolerable I suppose” Her try at his proud tone failed as she and Jean started laughing.

“But not handsome enough to tempt me

“Oh that was very wrong of him to say “

“Indeed it was. Capital offence!”

Not much more was said on the subject, and soon enough Ororo went back to her own room for a few hours of blissful sleep, until her youngest sister woke her up, excited that they once again had been invited to Lucas Lodge.





You must login () to review.