The next evening at Lucas Lodge proved to be as entertaining as the former, if you don’t count the opinion of Mr. Bingley’s sisters and his friend. Mrs. Bennet was positively glowing as she stood with some other women and could gloat over her oldest daughter’s fortune.

“Yes five thousand a year! And don’t they look beautiful together? A most agreeable young man. And he would dance every dance with Jean nothing else would do!” The women nodded grudgingly and looked at were Jean and Scott was talking.

Anna-Marie and Julia had of course found some handsome officers with whom they had great fun with. Lord Lucas had invited a few from the regiment that had been stationed in Meryton. Colonel Forester was more than happy to let himself, his wife and some officers enjoy the company offered.

Theresa Bennet had taken it upon herself to play the piano forte. She was decent with the instrument, and it was a good tune she was playing that allowed her younger sisters to dance with the handsome officers.

James Darcy, stood as usual by himself looking with cold disdain at the assembly. He was clearly the odd one out, as no one would try to approach him. Lord Lucas tried to start a conversation, but as it mostly was one sided, he finally excused himself. It stood plain that Darcy did not enjoy himself. He would stand stoic at the far end of the room, not accepting any drink or food. But now and then his gaze would travel to Miss Ororo, currently talking to her friend Betsy. It was not easy to tell what he was thinking while he watched her. No one would ask him if they should notice.

“I see Mr. Bingley is continuing with his attention to Jean” Betsy observed in a matter of fact tone.

“Yes I’m very happy for her Betsy” Ororo smiled at the couple, who seemed to notice no one but themselves.

“She seems very much pleased with him”

“If he continues with this, she might very well fall in love with him”

“Oh and Mr.Bingley? Do you think he is in love?” Betsy looked at Jean and Scott and back to Ororo with a sly expression. Ororo nodded slowly

“It would seem he likes her very much”

“Then she should leave him no doubt about her heart. She should show him evenmore affection than she feels if she would to secure him” Her friend said, and ‘Ro raised a snowy eyebrow in surprise.

“Secure him?!” She asked incredulously

“Yes! She should secure him as soon as may be” Betsy answered as it was the most natural thing.

“Before she is sure of his character, before she is even sure about her feelings about him?”

“Of course! Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance you know. There will always be vexation and grief. It is better to know as little as possible about the defects about your marriage partner” Ororo couldn’t help but laugh at this logic and shook her head.

“You would not act like that”

“It is clear Jean does not. So let’s hope Mr. Bingley will. He gets little assistance from his sisters”

“Or his friend” Ororo added, and looked where Darcy stood. Their eyes met at that moment when he was looking at her. She could not fathom his expression. Why was he looking at her when he had made it clear she was so beneath him? However she would not let him believe she felt intimidated by him. So she stood straight and looked evenly back at him, a slight curve on her lips that suggested either a smile or challenge. His expression did not change, but finally he looked away. Not in defeat, it seemed he merely was bored by her. Betsy looked at this silent display between her friend and that unsociable man, but did not voice her mind.

“Poor Darcy…what agony he must be suffering” Emma told her sister who nodded sympathetically. Emma excused herself and made her way to the lone man. He was again looking at the direction of Miss Bennet, now talking to the colonel.

“I know what you are thinking” Emma said with a knowing smile and placed her pale hands on his shoulders. He did not look at her.

“I should imagine not”
¨
“You must be thinking how insupportable it would be to spend many evening in such hideous company”

“No indeed, my mind was on something more agreeable. Like what a pleasure it is looking into a pair of fine eyes on the face of a pretty woman”

Emma’s grip on his shoulder tensed momentarily and she began to flutter her long eyelashes at him

“And may I dare ask whose eyes inspired this reflection?”

“Miss Ororo Bennet” He answered with no hesitation. She removed her hands and took a step back. Her smile and tone turned frosty

“Miss Ororo Bennet? You astonish me James”





You must login () to review.