The clouds seem to be disappearing, and she could spot more and more of the blue sky as she walked towards Netherfield. Her spirit was lifted now that she was going to see Jean and make sure her sister was well. Her mother was right again by the mud. As she was walking, the hem of her skirt and petticoats got caked in it. But she did not mind it one bit. As usual she removed her bonnet and let her hair free from the pins. It felt as always good to be out in the free nature, alone with her thoughts. She still worried about Jean of course, but she felt more at ease just to be outside, even with the threatening clouds. She lifted her skirts and climbed over a fence, jumping down, she landed with in a shallow hole, the mud splashing all the way up to the waist of her white gown. She laughed and could imagine the look on her mothers face if should see her now. She tried to dry some off with her bonnet and continued her way. Netherfield came into view, as splendid as ever. Red and white, the manor rose, surrounded by the carefully tended park with ponds and gravel paths. Now you could se it was inhabited. Horses could be heard from the stables, and servants were about on the grounds. She halted at an old apple tree to try and make herself more presentable. But she knew that even if she had been wearing jewels and a gown fitting a queen, Mr. Bingley’s sisters and his friend would still find faults with her. Sighing a little, she tried to wipe off the mud from her boots against the tree trunk. And at just that moment, with her skirts hiked up, revealing mud stained petticoats and kicking at the tree, Mr. Darcy showed up.

“Miss Bennet…” Oh Lord. She could have kicked herself. Or him for that matter for that startled half amused look he wore.

“Mr. Darcy” She replied as composed as she could, while letting her skirts down and straightening up. She managed a curtsy.

“I am here to enquire about my sister “

“On foot” The hateful man seemed like he was trying not to laugh, and he looked…truly looked her over. To her windswept hair, tracing the mud stains on her dress.

“As you can see” The shill in her voice did not go unnoticed, and his lips quirked ever so slightly

“Will you be so kind as take me to her?” She surprised herself with that question. But it would be the most proper thing to do as they already were introduced. That she loathed him was not important when he could take her to see Jean. Wordlessly, he signed for her to follow him.

Later, when she on the curtsey of miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst had changed into a clean, and well fitting cream colored dress she was finally lead to the bedchamber Jean laid. She hurried to Jean’s side, where she lie beneath thick covers. The bed was made of fine heavy oak. The blue bed curtains were pulled back, to give Jean air and light from the high windows. When Ororo gently sat down on the bed and took Jean’s warm hand in hers, her sister turned to her, fluttering eyes opening to regard her with a faint smile. Her red hair was laying about, damp from the fever.

“’Ro..” Ororo stroke her hot cheek, and smiled, trying not to show her worry.

“I am here Jean. Sleep now and be better” She assured the fevered young woman, who relaxed and succumbed to her tiered body’s need.

*


“Well you must admit her to be an excellent walker” Tessa sniffed as she put back the jar of cream and sipped on her tea. Emma snorted.

“I suppose” She agreed, casting a look at James that stood at the window. They had just finished their lunch, and relaxing with a cup of tea. Sebastian was on his probably third helping of the dinner, so the servants had not yet cleaned the table for them. Mr Bingley looked at his sisters with annoyance.

“But her appearance this morning! She looked almost wild!” Tessa continued

“What does she mean scampering about the countryside because her sister has a cold?!” Clearly this was a truly foreign notion for the sisters.

“Her hair Tessa!”

“And her petticoats! Perhaps you saw her petticoats brother” Tessa looked at Scott

“Six inches deep in mud I am absolutely certain”

“I thought she looked remarkably well!” Scott replied

“You must have observed it James, I am sure” Emma smiled. Mr. Darcy turned to her with his usual stoic demeanor.

“I did”

“You would not want to see your sister in such state”

“Certainly not”

“It seems to me, that Miss Bennet would like to show…some sort of conceited independence” Emma concluded and Tessa nodded her agreement vigorously

“It shows she cares for her sister, which is very pleasing” Scott quickly defended Ms. Bennet.

“Am I right to think that this escapade has affected your admiration of her fine eyes, James?”

“Not at all. They were brightened by the exercise” This statement from Mr. Darcy brought an abrupt halt to the sisters critizism of Miss. Bennet. Mortified Emma looked away and her triumphant smile vanished.

“But Jean Bennet is a sweet girl. It is so sad she has such unfortunate family, with poor connection” Tessa tried to lift the spirit around the table. Emma gladly joined in.

“There is an uncle she told us, he is in trade and lives in Cheapside!”

“Perhaps we should call, when we are next in town” Tessa and Emma laughed heartily at their own joke.

“They would be just as agreeable to me if they had uncles enough to fill whole Cheapside” Scott retorted annoyed

“With such connections, they would have little chance to marry well, Bingley. That is the material point” Mr. Darcy added. Just then the door opened, a servant allowing Ororo to enter. Scott immediately rose and bowed to her.

“Miss Bennet! How does your sister do? Is she better?”

“I am afraid she is quite unwell Mr. Bingley.”

“Let me send after Mr. Jones. You must stay until your sister is better” He offered her readily. Across the table, Emma shared a pained look with her sister.

“I would not wish to be inconvenient sir” Ororo felt the unfriendly gazes from Mr. Bingley’s sisters. She was loath to overstay her welcome, but Mr. Bingley she felt was sincere in his hospitability.

“I will have it no other way. I’ll send a servant to fetch your clothes from Longbourn.

No more was said on the matter. Emma and Tessa had to accept it. Later the day, the gentlemen went out hunting. Ororo stayed with her sister, doing what she could to make it comfortable for Jean. She was avoiding being alone with Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. But when evening came, she had to join them. Dressed as well as she could in her finest gown, she pinned up her braid and turned from the mirror to look at Jean, who smiled at her.

“There will I disgrace you now, you think?”

“You look very pretty ‘Ro, as you are well aware” Jean answered with a smile.

“Oh Jean. I would much rather stay here with you” Ororo went to her sisters side and hugged her.

“The superior sister wishes me miles away. It is only your Mr. Bingley that is civil and attentive”

“He is not my Mr. Bingley” Still Jean blushed, and tried to hide her smile

“Oh I think he is” Ororo replied and stroke a strand of hair from Jeans face

“Or he very soon will be” She whispered, and kissed Jean on her cheek.

*


She had some trouble finding her way in the large manor, even when a servant gave her directions to the hall. She entered the wrong door and came upon Mr. Darcy playing pool by himself. He had lain off his jacket. The white shirt contrasted well with his tanned skin, showing his strong arms were he had pushed up the sleeves of his shirt. His dark hair fell over his forehead when he bent over the table with the cue. He looked up just then, startled grey eyes meeting hers. Her heart skipped a beat. He gave her a solemn bow. Not knowing what to make of her reaction, she turned and fled. Darcy watched for a while after her, and then proceeded to play.





You must login () to review.