She found her way to the luxurious dining hall. Mr. Bingley and his sisters and Mr. Hurst were playing at cards around a round table. In this Mr. Hurst excelled, and for every good card he got, he drank from the brandy.

“Oh Mr. Darcy come and assist me, I am no match for Mr. Hurst” Emma simpered. Darcy was not particularly interested in the game. He walked to the sofa were Ororo sat, reading a book.

“May I enquire about your sister?” He asked her, standing straight. She lifted her gaze from the page and regarded him.

“I thank you. I believe she is a little bit better”

“I’m glad to hear it.” Was his reply, and he walked away, leaving her puzzled. She went back to the book, while behind her, Emma protested loudly about Mr. Hurst’s winning.

“He has outdone us all, Mr. Darcy!”

“Will you join us Miss Bennet?” Tessa asked pleasantly, smiling.

“Thank you but no”

“Do you prefer reading to cards, dear? Tssh. Strange girl” Sebastian snorted

“Miss Bennet despises cards, is a great reader and takes no pleasure in anything else” Emma explained, giggling with her sister.

“You are mistaken I assure you. I am not a great reader and take pleasure in many things” Ororo answered as pleasantly as she could manage. Emma pursed her lips.

“And what do you do so secretly sir?” She instead asked Mr. Darcy that had seated himself in front of a desk, writing a letter.

“It is no secret. I am writing to my sister.”

“Oh the dear Kitty” Emma acknowledged with a smile

“Oh I long to see her. Is she much grown since the spring? Is she as tall as me?” She giggled. Ororo sighed inaudibly.

“She is about Miss Ororo Bennet’s height” Darcy answered without taking his eyes from the letter. Ororo looked at him. Why did he bring her into the conversation?

Emma did a valiant try to sound cheerful

“She is so accomplished. Her performance at the piano forte is excellent! Do you play Miss Bennet?” For others, Emma’s interest in Ororo could seem like a polite thing. But ‘Ro could feel the other woman’s cold disapproval.

“I do, but very ill indeed” Ororo confessed, which made the sisters start sniggering.

“All the young ladies are accomplished” Scott exclaimed

“They sing, they draw, and they dance. Speak both French and German and I don’t know what else!” His sisters nodded smiling, as they have learned all these important things.

“There isn’t a half a dozen of those who I would call accomplished” James joined the conversation

“No sir” Emma agreed

“No woman can really be called accomplished who does not also possess a certain something in her air, in her manner of walking, in the tone of her voice, her gesture and expression” Tessa nodded at all these points Emma made. Emma was looking at Ororo, her expression clearly showing that Ororo lacked all of this.

“And to all this you must yet add something more substantial” Darcy replied. Ororo looked at him, certain he would add something that he deemed she lacked.

“An improvement of her mind by extensive reading”

Was that a compliment? From him directed at her? Never, she smiled though nonetheless.

“It is no surprise that you only know six accomplished women, Mr. Darcy. I rather wonder if you know any” She answered his statement. Darcy looked her way, but she turned the page of the book.

“You are very severe upon your own sex Miss. Bennet. Maybe you lack the advantage of moving in society at large. We know many very accomplished women” The scorn in Emma’s voice could not be mistaken. Darcy was silently watching Ororo as she seemed to try control her anger.

“I would think she is teasing Mr. Darcy” Scott said with an anxious smile.

“Tease Mr. Darcy? Impossible. He is a man without faults” Emma laughed.

Ororo looked from Emma to Mr. Darcy

“Is he indeed…a man without faults” He regarded her calmly, unruffled by their mild teasing.

“That is not possible for anyone. But I try to avoid those weaknesses that would expose you to ridicule” Darcy answered solemnly.

“Such as vanity perhaps and pride?” Ororo challenged, her blue eyes glittering. He seemed to think on his answer.

“Yes vanity is a weakness…but pride. A superior mind can always control pride. I have faults enough Miss. Bennet but I hope they are not of understanding. My temper I can not vouch for. I might be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever”

“That is a failure indeed and I won’t laugh at it” Ororo admitted and James added

“I believe every one has a tendency to do evil”

“And your defect is having a tendency to hate every one”

“And yours is to willfully to misunderstand them” Darcy retorted.

Emma had watched their verbal war, and could not stand the looks they shared. She had known Darcy enough to recognize he enjoyed this parrying with Miss Bennet, even if the young lady did not see that.

“Shall we have some music?” She put in, and rushed to the piano.





You must login () to review.