That hard gaze, the color of steel suddenly drawn kept her standing as if frozen on the spot. Water dropped from his hair on his muscular chest. He was a hard built man, and seemed as hard as his body, even his voice, that deep almost growling voice made stone seem like butter.

“Well?”
She flinched and could finally find her tongue. Straightening up and meeting his eyes with equal coolness she responded.

“I am Ororo Bennet, and may I ask who you are?” She sounded calm and cool. He quirked an eyebrow. By the fine horse and the saddlebags she could see he was a wealthy man, perhaps even a lord. Possibly he had expected her to curtsey and call him “sir”. His gaze went down, looked at the dirty hem of her skirt and bare feet marked by mud and grass, then to her hair and she become conscious of the dry twigs that been entangled in her locks. She must be a pretty sight indeed! His lips twisted, a slight curve that increased the arrogance in his features. The sky seemed to darken. She was a civil young woman, easy to like by most, but when he failed to show her the fine manner he apparently expected others to show him, she saw no reason why she should! The longer he looked at her like he was looking for her faults and found them all, the less she liked him.

“You did not answer my question miss Bennet. What are you doing here? Is it in your nature to trespass on other people’s property?”
He should talk about other people’s natures! She stiffened. A slight blush on her cheek might reveal the anger that she tried to keep from her voice.

“And you did not answer mine! But if you must know. No it is not in my nature to trespass uninvited. Until this moment I did not know that Netherfield Park was let. Now that I know, it will not happen again. Good day sir.” Well she offered a small curtsey, after all she was raised to be civil, and this disagreeable man would not make her sink to his level.

“Good day” He snapped back. Her teeth clenched and she turned around and walked away with angry strides. That hateful man!

*


Had she stayed a little longer, she would have met another man, that moments after she had disappeared from view came riding towards the tall “hateful” man. The rider had a young and pleasant face. The dark green coat, and white breeches fitted his slim frame, and the tall hat on his head made him look like the gentleman he was. A pair of odd red colored binoculars hid his eyes.

“Darcy, there you are! Emma told me she had seen you ride this way. Isn’t this the most wonderful place you have seen? I have met the most pleasant people and I have barely moved in!” The young man sounded as always excited, even when his friend bore the most sour expression. He jumped of the chestnut colored gelding and held it’s reins while Darcy picked up a white shirt and pulled it on, despite the water still dripping from his hair.

“I met a lord Lucas who has invited me and my company to “Lucas Lodge” this evening. There will be other guests and there is to be food music and dancing. You will come won’t you Darcy?”
Mr. Darcy wanted no such thing, and told his friend as much, but added curtly

“I might as well. You and I seem to have different opinions about the people in this neighborhood Bingley. They have little manner and that is why I will come with you. I would not wish to see you be taken advantage of, and your sister need someone that could fend of the fools that I’m positive will be there.”

Dressed as well as he could be Mr. Darcy untied the reins around the tree trunk and started leading the stallion back towards the manor. Mr. Bingley followed. He was used to Mr. Darcy’s nature and wasn’t offended by his tone.

“I would be much surprised if you would not enjoy yourself there Darcy. I tell you. These people are as easy going and happy as any I ever met!

“I think not” was all Darcy said on the subject, and he walked on in silence, not minding Bingley enthusiastic talk about what merriments the evening would offer.

*


Ororo’s walk home to Longbourn took less time than when she took her stroll down to the pond. Her anger at how the man treated her gave her speed. The feeling did not fade the slightest even when she came within sight of the low three stories house. It wasn’t a very big house Longbourn, but it was sufficient for a family of seven plus servants. She liked the grounds where fruit trees and roses grew. Mrs. Hill, their stout elderly maid was in the vegetable patch to gather some turnips to lunch. Before Ororo took the first step onto the porch, she could hear her mother’s shrill voice and the excited shatter of her younger sisters. What now? She tried to smooth her features, as she did not wish them to see that she was upset and bother her with endless questions. Taking a calming breath she opened the door and entered the chaos. Mrs. Bennet was like a hen, flailing her arms and running and shouting for the servants, her husband and daughters.

“Ro There you are, what on earth have you been doing? You look dreadful. I hope no one saw you like that! And no shoes? What have I told you about walking with no shoes? Your feet are dark enough without you having to add more! How many times do I have to tell you that no man wants a wife that looks like a coalminer?. I should be grateful to have Jean, with her beauty she should be able to marry a man of a large fortune that could take care of us all” She endured her mother’s tirade as always. She did not feel any resentment that she was considered less beautiful than her older sister. Jean was considered a beauty by all that saw her. Mrs. Bennet opened her mouth to (without a doubt continue her criticism of Ororo) but was interrupted when two of her youngest daughters rushed into the hallway.

“Ro” Shouted the youngest, Anna - Marie excitedly

“Have you heard?” Julia cut in.

“Netherfield is let at last!” They both said at the same time and glared at each other.

“A Mr. Bingley has moved in, and he is young.”

“And handsome, and”

“Unmarried and rich!”

“Lord Lucas has invited them, and all of us to Lucas Lodge this evening!” They were babbling, raising their voices higher and higher in competition on who could tell her the most. Anna-Marie was however the most forceful of the two and seemed to be their mothers favorite as Mrs. Bennet often took her part. Poor Julia, tried her best outshine Anna-Marie, but lacked her one year younger sisters stubbornness. Both were pretty girls and happy mannered for most of the time. Anna-Marie was the spoiled one though, and she had fiercer temper.

The Bennet sisters had each their own personalities, and the difference was noted on their looks too. The eldest, Jean was a beautiful redhead. Pale with green eyes she had a handsome and not too tall a figure. Ororo was handsome in her own way. She looked very much apart from the rest of the family, which caused a few raised eyebrows on some people. When she had been born, Mrs Bennet had experienced one of her famous nervous breakdowns and could not bear to look at her child. The infant had looked so odd with her white hair, dark complexion and blue eyes, but then her not often seen compassion had won and she came to feel fondness and even love for her strange looking daughter. Mrs. Bennet had tried her best though to do something about Ororo’s looks. Tried to keep her indoors (if she just kept away from the sun her skin would pale!) and color her hair dark or red. But she had no success. Ororo did not want to change!. Theresa…well the girl could be pretty if she straightened up a bit and cared as much about her looks as she did her theology, philosophy and other such dreadfully boring subjects. Her hair was red, but not the sparkling red of Jean. It was more carrot red, and even if she was pale, she looked sickly. The glasses she wore didn’t help the matter. Julia was dark haired with dark , but slanted eyes. She was the shortest of her daughters, if she had more spirit she would be as charming as Anna-Marie. Anna-Marie had a bronze colored curly hair with an odd white streak at the forhead and had green eyes and was spirited. A personality which she showed now as her eyes shot daggers at Julia.

“Dani Lucas told me he was very charming and agreeable.”
“He is to bring six gentlemen and ten ladies to the party”
“No, it was four gentlemen and eight ladies Julia!”
“Too many ladies” said Ororo with a slight smile, even though she didn’t feel like smiling. Mr Bingley? Was it that man she had met? It must be, but she could hardly call him handsome and charming!

“Oh I hope he will ask me for a dance” Julia sighed and their mother snorted.

“You better do something about your nose if you are hoping for a dance. Sniveling and coughing like that.” As if on cue, Julia began coughing, and their mother looked heavenward while Anna-Marie snickered.

“Well I will dance with him. Trice! One dance for me, one for you and one for Theresa.” She said confidently. Theresa never danced.

“Ofcourse you will my girl. You will have a wonderful time as always and break many hearts. Ororo don’t you just stand there! Go wash yourself and change your clothes! I can’t bear to watch that dreadful thing you are wearing. Hill! Oh where is that woman! Hill!”

“Yes mama” Sighed Ororo thankfully and began up the stairs to the second floor where she had her bedroom.

“Mama, I need new clothes for this evening. I have nothing to wear!”

Relieved she closed the door to her bedroom, shutting out their voices and went to her mirror stand. What she saw made her almost understand that mans scorn. Her snow white tresses fell in unruly locks down her back, “adorned” with twigs, dried leaves and grass. The hem of her pale skirt was brown with mud and grass, as was her feet. But still, that was no excuse for how he treated her! The door linking her bedroom to Jean’s opened, and her sister entered smiling.

“You have heard that Netherfield…”

“Yes, I’ve heard it.” She snapped before Jean could finish the sentence. The other woman’s smile widened before she picked up Ororo’s mood in that uncanny way she had, and that brought concern on her fair features.

“What is the matter?”
Because it was Jean, Ororo could tell her everything. They sat on her bed, and Jean shook her head when Ororo finished her tale about that man.

“He sounds very bad ‘Ro. But maybe he only was startled by you and didn’t know what he said. I can’t believe that Mr. Bingley could be uncivil without a cause when I’ve heard from those who have met him, how agreeable and charming he is.” Jean’s kind nature did not let her see many faults in people.

“Oh he knew exactly what he said. He was arrogant and conceited. The way he looked at me as if I was a strange ugly creature!” Unlike her sister, Ororo knew that some people had irredeemable faults, and she had a hard time forgiving those who had wronged her or her loved ones. That man, had very clearly showed his nature and she did not like him one bit.

“You are not ugly Roro. I am sure he did not mean to be ill mannered. Come evening at Lucas Lodge you will see him again, and I am certain you will find him agreeable” Jean patted her hand and smiled reassuringly.

“I very much doubt that”





You must login () to review.