19. Running Away (Part 1)

Summary:
“He ran, ran as fast, as far He could. All for nothing. Wherever he went, she’d still be there.”


For Logan leaving that meeting with Xavier in Central Park had encompassed the last moments of his stay in New York or for that matter America.

He had made all the arrangements, taken care of all the contingencies…or at least tried to. Jubilee’s name had been added to the lease, her outburst at hearing about his plans or lack there off, born, her tears wiped away. He had even taken her to meet Murdock, telling her if at anytime she needed anything, any help, monetary or otherwise, Matt’s door would always be open for her, 24/7. A little skeptical at first, Jubilee had gasped, her eyes wide as saucers as Matt revealed her alter ego to her…and reiterated everything Logan had said, and then some. And for that, and everything else he had done, Logan would always be thankful to him. Even though he was blind, Logan knew…from experience that Matt, the DareDevil, The Man Without Fear, not only heard but even saw a lot more than a lot of other people, and he saw not what was one outside, but also what mattered, what was inside…in the heart.

He had literally blown out of town, and hours later out of the country, trying his level best to run away not only from his thoughts but also…from his memories.

All through this, there was one thing that had stuck in what remained of his heart…stuck like a sore nail. Kendall and James. He was leaving them, and no matter how hard he rode, he could not turn away from their saddened faces.

It is for their own good.

That was his mantra, and held onto it as he was drowning and if it were a lifeline.

He knew that there would be no other man who loved his children as much as he did. No man. And say as much she wanted, even Ororo couldn’t deny their parentage, either to them, to him or even to herself.

Yet, when it came to a question of making a choice of which parent was a better guardian for them, Logan would be the first one to admit that Ororo got him beat…by miles. There wasn’t even a comparison. Not only was Ororo cultured, not only did she had a stable base for herself, the one that would allow the children a firm foundation to build themselves upon, she also would be able to give them something that he never could….a history, a heritage.

Him. His entire existence had been one of grasping at scraps, both in his present life and for his past. A continuous, never ending run for something elusive, something that had long ago lost any meaning, existing only for one purpose….to give a sham of a semblance of some worth.

Meeting the X-Men had brought about a change, both in his life and slowly but surely, in him. What started with a reluctant braking for a pale, shivering, sliver of a girl, had (at first) shoved him through a door he hadn’t even known the existence off, let alone try to search for and open by himself.

The first time he left, he did not think that he would be seeing this place again, let alone making a return and then staying here…making an actual life. But return he did, not only for the promise he had made to that same girl, but also for another...one whom he wanted. And wasn’t that just the main thing about it, he wanted her, just wanted. Either he hadn’t thought or maybe he hadn’t got the faculties for it, but somehow he never understood what exactly would happen if he she gave him what she wanted…leave him, her lover and fiancé for him. Then again, thinking hadn’t been one of his strong points.

Thankfully she had more than enough comprehension for both of them, after all, she was a telepath. And as much as her turning him down had stung his pride, he now understood that him and Jean weren’t really destined to be together. Not like her and Scott. Not like him and….no one.

At the first thought of her, he clamped down, almost as if trying to squish from germinating, the one visual of her that had imprinted itself (above all others) on not only his conscience but on every single cell of his indestructible body. And try as he might, just as his body would heal itself from any injury, any attempts he made to cut her and her memories off from within him, only resulted in them being rebuilt…even stronger than before.

And just as his healing factor would cause his body…this shell of his, to live on, so would live on the visual of her positioned over him, her long lithe legs straddling his hips, her long lush tresses washing over like a fresh snow fed waterfall….with only one sound coming forth from her rose petal lips, only one name. Logan. His.


He ran, ran as fast as he could, to Canada, wanting to run to his mother, the wilderness’s embrace….but not even able to do that. For going there would only remind him even more of her, of the time they had spent here, first as a couple and then as a family.

He drove, almost non-stop, for the better part of a week, stopping only for gas and not for anything else. Not that he could. Just closing his eyes had become a nightmare, one in which he saw his children and her. He only saw their backs, but in his heart he knew it was them, if nothing else, by their hair. The children had grown up and they from their laughs he knew that they were happy…as was she.

Just not with him.

For standing right with, were two more, one an older man with ruby colored glasses and second a young woman with flame red hair, her green eyes as deep as…as her mother’s. Scott and Rachel.

They were all happy…together…as a family. One that had no need or space for him.

It was enough to drive a man crazy.

----

“Lookie what the cat dragged in.” Her slightly accented but entirely sultry voice was just as lively as he remembered it…and just as piercing. As was the recognition twinkling in her naturally mischievous eyes.

“Hey kid.” He grunted, air whooshing out of his lungs at the way she lunged forward and threw her arms around him, the embrace lasting for all of a couple of seconds before she leaned back and planted a swift, hard one on him. A swift, hard slap that is, one followed by a flurry of Japanese expletives at the stinging sensation received from striking against metal.

“Nice to see yer still as feisty as ever,” his chuckle held no mirth.

Fuck you, you son of a bitch,” she cradled and gently kneaded her slim fingers, slowly bringing them back to normal. “I thought that you up and died or something.”

“Or something.” He sighed, not saying anything else.

Even before she could ask any more question or he try not to give any clear answers, especially not any about his life…or the way it had come crashing around him, a soft voice from the inside caused him to pause.

“Yukio-chan. Who is it?”


“You busy?” He inquired, not wanting to intrude upon her. Their’s had been a ‘open book’ relationship, more friends than anything else, and although it had been quite sometime since they had seen each other, one thing he was sure of and wanted to keep as before…no mixing work and home.

“Nah.” Flicking a hand over her shoulder, the free spirited Yukio stepped back into her apartment home, grabbing and dragging her surprise visitor along with her. “Its just…” she started, only to stop. “Well, its family.”

‘Family?’ Now Logan was really intrigued. As far as he knew Yukio did not have any family, not even a distant one. And a family with such a polished voice. Agreed that Yukio wasn’t a lout either, but she did tend to be a little ‘free’ with her tongue, not caring much about social norms and customs.

Already intrigued by the voice, Logan was even more surprised as hanging his jacket and slipping out of his boots, he stepped forward into the house, only to be greeted by something that he never envisioned seeing in Yukio’s place of living….a feminine touch.

And questions about whose doing was this, all of them were answered as they entered the living room, a slim, average sized but incredibly beautiful woman rising up to greet them. Any remaining doubts were obliterated by the bombshell that got dropped next.

“Logan-Sama,” Yukio stepped forth, coming in between him and the other woman. “This is Mariko. Mariko Yashida…my wife.”


Note: I had thought of sending Logan to Japan, but seeing that this is Movie Logan and he is more of a Canadian-trucker than an International-Brawler, I elected on keeping things closer to home.

Also, Yukio and Mariko, only Yukio was supposed to appear here. Mariko was supposed to be ‘his’ (dead) wife. But things didn’t quite turn that way. Did it!!

This is the first part (of two) of Logan’s time away from the mansion, what he did, what he thought…and how he finally got his butt back to ‘Ro. (Last chapter)

Spoilers (Minor): X-Men and X2 (The Movies)

Please Review.





You must login () to review.