Disclaimer: Don't own 'em. Wish I did. OH! Scenes for the first chunk were taken from Ultimate X-Men #44-45. Other'n that, ideas are mine.


Heavy clouds rumble, threatening to break open. The graying Capitol blends into the background. The group on the steps appears curious, almost probing. She moves through the crowd below, signs flanking her on either side: “Muties Go Home.” “Mutation is a Sin.”

The signs make her stomach roll, but she is quick to swallow, burying her anger beneath a calm façade. She is on a mission. She's looking for someone, sure he will be there. This is why he left, after all.

Then she spots him, crouching in the center of the group. He seems unsure, nervous, yet willing. A rip of thunder. Lightening breaks the clouds. Eyes dart to the sky. Sentinels.

Reactions are quick. Amidst the disorder, one command is heard, “Save the President. Save the mutants!” Angel takes to the skies, carrying Wolverine along with him. The Sentinel’s eyes release beams of energy, threatening the two heroes. He drops him. Wolverine slashes his claws into the enemy’s metal chest, slicing him to the feet.

Cyclops focuses his beams on the knees, hoping to topple it.

Above, she shouts “Jean, help me on the steps. Professor, we need to…”

Silence. “Oh no…”

He looks small from her height. Almost unreal. Blue fur beneath crushing boulders.

Her voice falters, his name barely a whisper on her lips.

“Henry?”

* * * * *

“Henry!” She bolted upright in her bed, strands of hair sticking to her face. Her eyes darted around the room, taking in her surroundings. Darkness. Only the moonlight shined on the bed, the beams reflected on her sheets. She folded her legs slowly, allowing the silken material to fall from her upper body, and rested her chin on her knees.

A rough hand graced the small of her back. “’Ro? You okay darlin’?

She continued to stare into the darkness, fighting back the tears. Finally, she responded, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Ororo?

She looked down at him, traces of moonlight across his face. She couldn’t help but smile as she lay back down, snuggling against his chest. “Just a dream is all, Logan. Just a dream.”

He kissed her forehead before laying his head back on the pillow, his arm pulling her tighter, wanting to protect her from the night. He never knew what she dreamed of “ only that these nightmares were becoming more frequent. He stifled a growl and closed his eyes, willing himself back to sleep.





You must login () to review.