All Children grow

The world was nothing but blood and fire for the mutant dubbed WOLVERINE here in the darkest jungles of Wakanda. He is on the hunt, like some primordial predator lost to antiquity. His prey Erik Killmonger, the only man who stands in the way of Panther’s claim to the throne without having to marry Ororo Monroe, a princess though her mother was exiled.

“So Ah have become a lapdog fer T’Challa’s games. So be it, anything fer ‘Ro.” Thinks the man trapped within the animal. “Its funny, Ah remember everything from the witch’s little reality shift, and ah know Ah am not a mutant. Ah was born to a people dat never should have existed. Thanks to an immortal named Adam Destine and his luv’r djinn bitch. From them three tribes were brought forth. The Destine family, the moon tribe, and the bear.”

I see the headlights on the highway
I'm standing in the rain
Gonna hitch a ride to nowhere
Shake off Mary Jane
Ashes to ashes
Leave it in the dust
Don't worry about missin' me
You do what you must whoa

“The Moon tribe and the Bear fought each other over and over until they were wiped out by our own bloodshed but Ah was cast out fer a trail of blood before hand. Ah was three or four at the time. Ah was found by wolverines and thanks to mah empathic ability toward predators they accepted me as one of their own. Ah was captured by trappers, one of them was to become my “grandfather”. He gave me ta his son James who has lost his child and his wife Elizabeth was in an asylum. Ah was young and then met da groundskeeper who called himself Logan. He had a son named Dog, it was his scent that I knew, somewhere. He was my real father’s brother. He left the moon tribe but Ah don’t know why. As ah grew older Ah met my first love if not mah greatest. Her name was Rose and she a good friend, it wasn’t till dog attacked her that Ah realized Ah loved her. When mah “mother” saw my uncle kill mah “father” and Ah killed him with my claws she went insane. Logan never expected me ta be of the moon tribe, the look on his face was of horror. The damage Ah did to him could not heal quick enough fer his ability. He died quickly.

Change no you can't change me
Into something I could never be
Sure nuff plain to see
That you can't, you can't change me.

Rose and Ah fled. It was a few years later when Ah walked into a bar and saw a man who would be my mortal enemy fer life. His name was Creed but the world now knows him as SABERTOOTH. He was older than Ah and we fought. There was no contest, Creed beat me and left me fer dead. He killed Rose and left. I remember what he said as he threw me off a cliff. “Sorry Runt but bein’ what we are there is no other way.”

I didn’t know what that meant till now. He was a member, if not the last, of the Bear Tribe. We are blood bound to kill each other. The curse of our “Grandmother” follows through us. Ah do know he too was given to a family at birth, as our ways mostly, though some are allowed ta stay to keep the tribe true. Though they were religious and “punished” him greatly. He knew what he was from the beginning and he accepted it. We are both forces of nature, more than human. We fight to keep a balance, Ah don’t know why but we do. I left and traveled to Japan met my first wife Itsu, who was pregnant with my child when she was murdered. I went to the mountain of the Demon to become a weapon. I embraced my nature, became what the Moon tribe was. They were a race of warriors born and created by our “Grandparents” to protect the earth from all things that would harm it, including the people who lived on it. My tribe is over 100,000 years old and was born when “grandmother” fell from the heavens and Adam Destine was called Dagon the fallen. The Bear tribe was to be our safe guard, yet they were jealous of our role and wanted it. A war began, causing both tribes to neglect our charge, mother Earth.

Afterwards Ah left Japan to fight in the first world war. I then fought in the second world war, teaming with my ancient enemy Creed. We decided that it was not worth the fight anymore until he killed in cold blood without needing too.

Are we losing our connection
Are you somewhere on the line
Yeah I'm hearing your suggestion
But it's too late, too late here tonight
So many reasons
Everybody's out of time
I'll take my chances baby
Ooh ooh and take what's mine

Ah became a weapon at Project Weapon X, becoming a tool for them until Ah escaped. Ah was later found in the wilds by Heather and James Hudson, though Ah wonder why they would have come in the middle of the northern wilderness for a honeymoon. The reason Ah was there was to come home, on a instinctive level Ah followed the way to the caves, finding nuthin but the dead. On that animal level Ah saw the spirit of our “Grandmother” and she explained it all to me. Ah did not remember till now. Ah was then a member of Alpha Flight, yet another tool. Ah left Department H after Xavier offered me away out. Ah no longer wanted to be a tool, but again Ah was. That was when Ah met Jeannie and Ororo. They were beautiful, and I wanted Ororo but she was not in my league so Ah turned to Jean as a replacement, and deep down she reminded me of what later turned out to be Rose.

Change no you can't change me
Into something I could never be
Sure nuff plain to see
That you can't, you can't change me

Now I am a tool for Panther. It is my lot in life, but fer the last time. Ah love Ororo and though she may never love me, Ah will be there as her stone, she is connected to Mother Earth like me, she is a force of nature. I will always be there for her, and though Ah am doing this so Panther does not marry ‘Ro in hopes Ah can win her as Ah attempted ta do before that entire house of M crap, all I want is fer her ta be happy. Am ah doing this ta make her happy? Or am Ah doin it fer me?” With these last thoughts Wolverine stops and looks to the heavens. He looks down at his hands as he then pushes a button on his gauntlet. “You have ta love Tony’s toys”

Moments later Logan hears her voice over the comlink, and he inwardly smiles.
“Where are you Logan?”

She is his STORM, and he does love her but what could he offer her. She needs to be taken care of, she needs to be loved, and most of all she needs to be allowed to love the person she is with.

“Ro are ya alone?”

“Yes Old Friend.”

“If Ah asked you somethin’ Ah need ta know tha truth.”

“Anything Logan.”

“If..” He pauses not sure what to really say “Ah had actively pursued you more than ah did would it be you and me getting married instead of ya runnin to T’Challa?”

“Logan what are you saying?”

“Please answer tha question ‘Ro.” His chest tightened at her possible refusal. He is doing something he hates; he is opening to be left vulnerable.

“I do care for you Logan, more than that you and I are friends and I don’t want to lose that.”

Are we losing our connection
Are you somewhere on the line
Yeah I'm hearing your suggestion
But it's too late, too late here tonight
So many reasons
Everybody's out of time
I'll take my chances baby
Ooh ooh and take what's mine

“I understand. Be happy Princess.”

“Logan wait. Let me finish for once you stubborn man.” He hears her say quickly before he is about to severe the connection.

“What.” His voice a little harsher than it should have been.

“What are you about to do?” Ororo asks.

“Can’t tell you. Its an oath I have ta finish.”

“Please be careful Logan. Come back to me whole.”

“I don’t want to lose you ‘Ro. If Ah did I know I could face another day but Ah don’t know fer how long.”

“The only way you’d lose me is if you leave me.”

“Did I leave you?”

“Not yet.”

“’Ro do you love him?”

“T’Challa? No, but in time I could. I do care for him now.”

“Did you ever love me?”

“Lo…” she swallows as she is taken back by the question..”Logan I…”
she tries to breath but can’t. She feels as if the wide open walls of Avenger’s Tower will fall onto her. “I never…I never stopped.”

Logan breaths easier, not realizing that he was holding his breath. “Ya nev’r told me.”

“Did I have too?”

“No. Ah just thought you felt differently about me is all.”

“We will speak later okay. I have to go.” She replies as she sees T’Challa walking toward her.

“Tell him hi fer me.”

The link is severed.

Change no you can't change me
Into something I could never be
Sure nuff plain to see
That you can't, you can't change me

An hour later Logan stands facing the man called Erik Killmonger. He can see the man for what he is, he is a monster.

“Killmonger.”

“You are his assassin?”

Logan looks toward a camera and smiles. He takes a deep breath as he replies.

“Who is he?”

“The false ruler of Wakanda.”

“Don’t really know him personally. This is about kill’n you fer yer crimes bub.”

“Then I shall kill you first!” Killmonger screams as he charges. Logan unsheathes his Vibranium claw cutting off Killmonger’s arm. With a scream, the man falls clasping the stump that was once his arm.

“Renounce the throne Killmonger now.” Logan whispers in his fallen opponent’s ear. “Or I will kill you.”

“Never.” Whimpers Killmonger. Wolverine is about to kill this man as something enters his mind. “The only way you’d lose me is if you leave me.”

“Did I leave you?”

“Not yet.”

Logan pauses for a moment then sheaths his claws. “I have beaten you Killmonger. By Wakandan law the one who beats the panther is the panther.”

“You have to eat the root and survive.” Killmonger whispers.

“That is true. Do you have a it?”

“Yes.”

You know you're something to see
But you can't no you can't change me
You're somewhere in tomorrow
I'm stuck here in today
Got more trouble than a man can borrow
When you're livin' it up livin' in outer space

Moment’s later Killmonger sees Logan ingests the root and after a few moments witnesses Logan smile after he wipes his brow from the sweat. “Looks like I survived.”

“NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Two days later Logan stands in front of T’Challa and shows him the security footage from Killmonger’s encampment.

“Do you want my throne Wolverine?”

“No. You are the true king of Wakanda.”

“Do you want what was promised?”

“Its up to her not me Panther.”

“Is that right.” Panther turns to look toward a camera. “Ororo please come here.”





You must login () to review.