She was an adrenaline junkie. She knew it. She loved the way her body hummed when it was in motion. She loved the pulse of adrenaline in her veins. She felt invincible, powerful. It was with this sense strength that she leveled a spinning sidekick into her opponents’ solar plexus. The man dressed in black flies back against the wall, his air forced out of his lungs. She followed him as he had flown against the wall, her fist stopping at the center of his throat; her aim true.
His name is T’Challa, King of Wakanda; the world knows his as the BLACK PANTHER. His sparring companion who just showed him his royal ass was once a thief in Cairo, then a goddess in Kenya becoming an X-man code-named STORM. She is named Ororo Monroe, soon to be Ororo Monroe wife of T’Challa; Queen of Wakanda. From the observation booth watching the display of fighting prowess Jessica Drew-Cage and Anthony “Tony” Stark collectively called SPIDER-WOMAN and IRON-MAN to the world at large.
“Only a hand full of people on this planet could match or beat T’Challa’s fighting ability. She was taught well.” Replies Jessica studying the scene intently.
“She was taught by the best there is Jess. His name is Wolverine.” Answers Tony.
“You always sound as if you admire Patc..Logan. Why is that Tony?” Asks Jessica as she looks at him.
“Ah Patch, that’s right you knew him by that name when the X-Men were “Dead” so to speak.” Tony glances at her. “Let’s say that James Logan Howlett has over come many things in his long life to become what he is now.”
“Touching but really.”
“When I crawled into the bottle everyone credits Jim or the Iron-Man or even Steve for helping me. To tell the truth it was Logan.”
********************************
A short man with wild black hair and amber eyes looks the tall dark Handsome playboy that is Tony Stark in the eyes, not needing his enhanced senses to now the smell coming off of his breath. He picks up the man from the back of an alley way where he had just been beaten nearly to death only to be rescued just know by none other than Logan.
“Yer Stark ain’t cha Bub?” Logan doesn’t expect an answer but continues “Long ‘way from home. Looks like ya mite need a place ta stay fer ‘while. Ah got a place not far from here. Help ya sober up too.”
Days later Tony awakens in a strange bed, only remembering scant images of him picking a fight with three Canadian hockey players for making a pass at one of their girlfriends. He remembers a whirling dervish of a man who came to help. Afterwards he remembers nothing. He tries to rise but the cracked ribs hinder that progress.
“Ouch.” Tony winces in pain, “What the hell hit me?”
“250 lbs of Hockey player and his friends bub.” Tony looks toward the chair by the fireplace in what appeared to be a cabin, there sat the man called Logan tending to it.
“You helped me?” Tony could barely focus.
“Ya got a pretty good concussion, five broke ribs, busted blood vessels in da left eye, right hand broken in two spots, bruised spine, and last but not least yer left arm is broken.” Logan got up and moved over closer to Tony Stark.
“Drink dis.” Logan places a steaming mug of something close to Tony’s lips.
After Tony took some he spit it out as the taste of turpentine attacks his taste buds, he says in a wheezed voice…”What is that?”
“Old recipe from Africa, at least dat is what ‘Ro said." Logan chuckles slightly.
“Why am I here not a hospital?”
“Well Ah figured you’d not want da publicity. Allowed ya ta save face so ta speak.”
“Thank you.”
“’Sides who am Ah to not allow a man like ya ta kill yerself.” Logan gives him more of the herbal tonic. “Whatever demons ya got Stark be da man I know ya can be and face ‘em.”
“What gives you the right to say something like that? You don’t know me.”
“True but I know what its like ta runaway from those demons and it ain’t good ta. Ya nev’r stop runn’n. Take it from me Bub.”
“Who are you?”
“I’m just called Wolverine but my friends call me Logan.” He extends his hand in friendship. Tony reaches for it as he says
“I’m Tony.”
***************************

“He did that for you?” Jessica asks grinning slightly.
“Yes.”
“Sounds like him.” A voice from behind them replies, it is a voice of strength and integrity; it is the voice of Ororo Monroe.
“Tony what do I owe the pleasure?” T’Challa interjects as he shakes Anthony’s hand in genuine friendship.
“Actually we’re hear to ask something of Ms. Monroe here.” Jessica says.
“You are Jessica Drew aren’t you?” Ororo replies extending her hand. “It’s been awhile.”
“Yes it has been.” Jessica accepts it. “how are you?”
“I’m fine Ms. Drew.”
“It’s Mrs. Cage now.” Jessica corrects. “But call me Jessica.”
“My apologies..Jessica. Congratulations.” Ororo releases her hand.
“I didn’t know you two knew each other.” Asked T’Challa dumbfounded.
“Through a mutual friend.” Jessica answers.
“A dear one.” Ororo added.
“That’s right that whole Viper wedding thing.” Tony interjects.
“I’d rather not be reminded of that Mr. Stark.” Ororo says, her ice queen rudeness showing through. Jessica can sense the emotional shift and wonders why.
“Yes Tony it was not the best of times.” Jessica continues.
“Which brings us to why we are here.” Tony says confidently.
“We the Avengers would like to ask you if you’d consider becoming an Avenger.”





You must login () to review.